Last post by Desert Rain Frog
Today 09:10 AM

Old July 26th, 2020, 08:39 PM
here

Bump Policy: every 3 days
My Mood: Sleepy

RiverClan Father-Son Bonding Time

Father-Son Bonding Time
A much-needed discussion between a deputy and his dad.

Aspensky had gotten lost in his conversation with Bumblebelly before but now there were issues he needed to address - namely the disgraceful behavior of his son as of late. Typically, Aspensky opted for the soft approach when it came to confrontation but Sootflare was no child in need of gentle reprimand or unsettled warrior seeking support - no he was a full-grown feline, the deputy for StarClan’s sake, who knew much, much better.

“Sootflare!” he tried again, impatiently tapping his foot on the ground as he waited for his son to appear. He wasn’t hiding, was he? If he was - good. At the very least it would mean he felt some sort of remorse for his actions, “Get out here and talk to your father!”

The deputy emerged from the warrior’s den looking flustered. The sun was just beginning to fall from its highest point for the day and most of the warriors were off working on one thing or another so the deputy had taken the opportunity to try for a nap with minimal success. His pelt was as mussed up as his short fur could manner and dark circles seemed to be forming under his eyes, “Aspensky? What is it?” he grumbled.

“Don’t stand there and pretend you don’t know what this is about - We need to talk.” Aspensky raised a brow as if issuing a challenge and motioned to a more secluded corner of the camp like anyone lingering in the clearing wasn’t already watching this exchange with curious eyes. The heat in his voice was quickly diminishing but his eyes still held an icy, stern look. He couldn't keep up the angry act very long but he could certainly do disappointed, “Well?”

The first thought to run through his mind was to protest - something along the lines of having something else to do - but, knowing his father, that would only deepen the hole he seemed to have dug for himself. There was no weaseling his way out of this. Right. Well, might as well just get it over with, "Make it quick, Aspensky." he replied, making his way towards the corner Aspensky had motioned to, "Say what you have to say - I don’t have time to waste sitting here."

“Don’t have time? You’ll make time, Sootflare.”
That came off harsher than he intended and Aspensky cringed inwardly but, after a moment, continued on. This was harder than he expected, but it had to be done. “I had a talk with Bumblebelly not too long ago and it’s been brought to my attention that you… Well, it’s clear enough from this encounter so far that you’ve taken on a sour demeanor lately. I don’t know what’s gotten into you to make you lose all sense of manners and respect I ever tried to instill in you but here we are.”

“Aspensky-”

“No, just let me talk Sootflare. I tried to raise you well. I know… things didn’t always work out. I know some things just- went wrong but I did my best. I tried. Whatever is happening now - I don’t know what it is but I see it eating at you and I just wish you would talk to me instead of lashing out. I’m here. I’m going to keep trying. I-... I’m proud of you. I’m proud of where you’ve gotten and what you’ve done for yourself in spite of anything holding you back.” The disappointed act hadn’t lasted very long, he realized. Sootflare seemed to be listening though, so he kept going. Maybe he couldn’t do disappointed or mad but maybe this would work anyway, “I’m so, so proud of you but you’ve hurt your clanmates, Sootflare. Bumblebelly, I know. Maybe others I don’t. Whether you decide to… remedy that is your choice. But you can’t keep burning bridges, cutting ties. You’re digging yourself a hole and one day you’re going to look up and find you can’t climb your way out. I don’t want that to happen to you.”

“Just… know that I’m still here. Know that I love you. Know that you can talk to me. Let what I’ve said sink in. Think about it. Think about what you’ve said to people, what you will say in the future. I don’t want to see you drown, son.”

As Aspensky talked, Sootflare remained rigid - holding eye contact and refusing to soften. When the older tom got up to leave, he opened his mouth to talk but he shook his head and Sootflare shut his mouth despite the angry words wanting to tumble out. Who was he to tell him what to do? What he had done wrong?

His father. That’s who he was. When he was out of sight, the rebellion and resistance seeped out of him and Sootflare shrunk. He was right. Sootflare knew that. Many nights already spent tossing and turning amongst his guilt knew that Aspensky was right. He didn’t need to think about what he had said - he had done plenty of that already. What he needed to think about now was how to fix it.
Old July 26th, 2020, 08:53 PM
here

Default Re: Father-Son Bonding Time

I said I wouldn't ramble in discord but I made no promises about onsite rambling. So! Aspen is my little tired dad and I love him very much and both him and I went into this expecting a very angry, aggressive... fight-y kind of encounter? But it clearly didn't end up going that way.

The more I wrote, the more I could see him kind of.. deflating? Sootflare is his son and Aspen went into this charged and ready to go but I think as soon as he started talking, it set in that he just couldn't do it. Soot is all he has left. What is he supposed to do if he ends up burning that bridge? What then? He just... has to be alone while he watches his son, the deputy, sit in the spotlight, angry and resentful and just digging himself a hole he can't climb out of?

So instead, he just resolves to talk and make sure he listens. He can't butt heads with Sootflare but he can talk to him and try to get through. He doesn't know what's tearing Soot apart but he can be there and try to help. He can make himself available. He can continue to be there and try like he always has.

Meanwhile Soot... just sits there and listens. At first because he knows there's no getting out of it and later because he knows Aspensky is right. On the surface of every confrontation is his anger issues - his tendency to bite and get defensive. Everything lately feels like a challenge to his dignity and his own self-respect. Underneath that is the guilt about what he's said and how he's hurt people without giving it a second thought in the moment and it just kind of fights with the stubborn part of him that always takes and stand and refuses to budge. It only wins after the confrontation is over and he sits alone with his thoughts.
Old July 27th, 2020, 07:52 PM
here

Default Re: Father-Son Bonding Time

also!! please tell me what u think!! if u enjoyed it or hated it, give me feedback or just point out my typos who cares