Last post by Luminous
Today 02:35 AM

Old Today, 02:07 AM
a winter in my heart

Bump Policy: 1 week
My Mood: Tired

Default Re: ♡ Medical advice | Cat health & illnesses

Quote:
A person affected by an intestinal infection may experience abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea to varying degrees, and even bloody stools.
Yes, eating rotting/decomposing meat can have serious consequences but it's not something that can spread amongst kits just by staying close.
Everything you say is right: yes, it is enough for causing food poisoning. Depending on how spoiled the food is and in what way the kits interact with it, the consequences may vary.

Be careful:
Quote:
Puppy and kitten immune systems are both fragile and very susceptible to infectious disease. Especially between 4-12 weeks old.
This might be the death of most kits, depending on the severity of the infection. You have wide choice about the destiny of those kits, but remember that symptoms of an infectious disease should always be present (those at the beginning of the reply are okay).
@bigbxdwolfz

Blood is one of the Atari healers. He has a semi-closed den policy.

toyhouseart shop
trackervet advice

Last edited by Wingnettle; Today at 02:07 AM.
Old Today, 02:59 AM

Bump Policy: Every 24 hrs, unless my mood is set to Busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnettle View Post
Yes, eating rotting/decomposing meat can have serious consequences but it's not something that can spread amongst kits just by staying close.
Everything you say is right: yes, it is enough for causing food poisoning. Depending on how spoiled the food is and in what way the kits interact with it, the consequences may vary.

Be careful:
This might be the death of most kits, depending on the severity of the infection. You have wide choice about the destiny of those kits, but remember that symptoms of an infectious disease should always be present (those at the beginning of the reply are okay).
@bigbxdwolfz
Is it realistic for symptoms to show up immediately, or should I wait a few days?
Old Today, 03:16 AM
a winter in my heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbxdwolfz View Post
Is it realistic for symptoms to show up immediately, or should I wait a few days?
Imo a few hours would be fine!

toyhouseart shop
trackervet advice

Old Today, 03:25 AM

Bump Policy: Every 24 hrs, unless my mood is set to Busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnettle View Post
Imo a few hours would be fine!
Ty for your advice! And for answering my question.

It's a big help.
Old Today, 03:37 AM
He who dares, wins!

Bump Policy: 20 seconds
My Mood: Happy

• Which symptoms should your cat have?

Occasional sudden blackouts, preferably brought on by intense anger or other emotions but if that isn’t possible then that’s fine. He also didn’t remember if what had happened just before it was real or not, but over time he did start to remember things again

• Do you want a genetic or acquired illness/condition?

I’d prefer acquired unless genetic fits better and there’s a way to cure it

• How many moons is this cat? Is it a certain breed?

17 moons, I haven’t really decided on a breed

• What's the cat past? How/where does it live now?

He lives in WindClan, found out about these blackouts when he had one after attacking (and unknowingly killing) an intruder.

• Has it already some condition/other problems?

Nothing else

• What should the outcome of the illness/condition be?

I hope there is a way to cure him if that’s possible

• Is there a bigger plot around the illness/condition?

Yes, so after the killing of the intruder and having a blackout, when he woke up he couldn’t really remember if it happened or not, but when the memories came back to him he went to Twilightstar. She demoted him for a moon and a half, and told him to go to Lightningstorm, if Lightningstorm can’t figure out what’s wrong with him and fix it, he’ll be forced to retire early.

• Mention: @Wingnettle

Art by @/Willowfern!
Old Today, 04:19 AM
a winter in my heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamrog View Post
• Which symptoms should your cat have?

Occasional sudden blackouts, preferably brought on by intense anger or other emotions but if that isn’t possible then that’s fine. He also didn’t remember if what had happened just before it was real or not, but over time he did start to remember things again

• Do you want a genetic or acquired illness/condition?

I’d prefer acquired unless genetic fits better and there’s a way to cure it

• How many moons is this cat? Is it a certain breed?

17 moons, I haven’t really decided on a breed

• What's the cat past? How/where does it live now?

He lives in WindClan, found out about these blackouts when he had one after attacking (and unknowingly killing) an intruder.

• Has it already some condition/other problems?

Nothing else

• What should the outcome of the illness/condition be?

I hope there is a way to cure him if that’s possible

• Is there a bigger plot around the illness/condition?

Yes, so after the killing of the intruder and having a blackout, when he woke up he couldn’t really remember if it happened or not, but when the memories came back to him he went to Twilightstar. She demoted him for a moon and a half, and told him to go to Lightningstorm, if Lightningstorm can’t figure out what’s wrong with him and fix it, he’ll be forced to retire early.

• Mention: @Wingnettle
Quote:
Fainting, passing out, blacking out, or syncope is the temporary loss of consciousness caused by a variety of situations such as vasovagal syncope, low blood pressure, and anemia. Learn about additional causes, symptoms, and prevention strategies.
Quote:
Vasovagal syncope (vay-zoh-VAY-gul SING-kuh-pee) occurs when you faint because your body overreacts to certain triggers, such as the sight of blood or extreme emotional distress. It may also be called neurocardiogenic syncope.

The vasovagal syncope trigger causes your heart rate and blood pressure to drop suddenly. That leads to reduced blood flow to your brain, causing you to briefly lose consciousness.
Blacking out can be caused by lots of stuff, but this cause is the most likely that would fit well with your cat's situation.

Quote:
Vasovagal syncope is usually harmless and requires no treatment. But it's possible that you may injure yourself during a vasovagal syncope episode.
Quote:
Symptoms
Before you faint due to vasovagal syncope, you may experience some of the following:

Pale skin
Lightheadedness
Tunnel vision — your field of vision narrows so that you see only what's in front of you
Nausea
Feeling warm
A cold, clammy sweat
Blurred vision
During a vasovagal syncope episode, bystanders may notice:

Jerky, abnormal movements
A slow, weak pulse
Dilated pupils
Recovery after a vasovagal episode generally begins in less than a minute. However, if you stand up too soon after fainting — within about 15 to 30 minutes — you're at risk of fainting again.
From a scientific article:
Quote:
Patients were recruited in a dedicated syncope unit and underwent neurocardiovascular evaluation. The prevalence of Amnesia for loss of consciousness following syncope on tilting was 28% (44/159).
The only remedy I could find for a clan cat was this:
Quote:
Therapies. Your doctor may recommend ways to decrease the pooling of blood in your legs. These may include foot exercises, wearing compression stockings or tensing your leg muscles when standing. You may need to increase salt in your diet if you don't usually have high blood pressure. Avoid prolonged standing — especially in hot, crowded places — and drink plenty of fluids.
However, keep in mind that all of this was tested on humans, who stand on TWO legs. This means a great difference between the pressure of the human low body and the cat's.
What I suggest, is that however it would be a bit unrealistic, the medicine cat would try to rise your cat's blood pressure and have them exercise often (feet exercises, such as stomping them repeatedly). I cannot say this will always prevent your cat from fainting (which is the main symptom here, not the memory loss), because in this case I proposed to you a "mental cause with somatic symptoms". It's all in his head if the sight of blood makes him faint.

You can choose: will your cat subjugate itself to this weakness and have them retired from the warrior life, or will it fight against this "fear" and come over it?

Totally your choice. Good luck!

toyhouseart shop
trackervet advice