Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Main Warriors Roleplay > WindClan > WindClan Events

Notice
Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader
Dawnstar
Deputy
: Mistlewhisker
Medicine Cats:

Lostspark, Mossfreckle

RiverClan
Leader
: Fadingsun
Deputy:
Dusklion
Medicine Cat: Mistyshard

Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Berrypaw

WindClan
Leader
Twilightstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
Evergreen Grotto
by Rose
Last post by alec
Today 11:34 AM
Firefly Cove
by dino.
Last post by chickadee
Today 11:32 AM
Profile mewsic? any...
by Myling
Last post by Myling
Today 11:31 AM
Paste the last thing you...
Last post by Myling
Today 11:27 AM

Old May 17th, 2024, 05:53 PM
Moonraven's brother

Bump Policy: 3 days

Default Re: Raptor Hunting

@Rani - Crowtooth | @SeonghwasBunnyEars - Watertail | @Bean - Shrikepaw/Flashfeather | @sock - Rainyday | @MockingRabbit - Brightpaw | @Zei - Talloak | @gs29513 - Deadmoon | @Lightningpaw666 - Lightningpaw | @Tallstar - Vinepaw | @Realm - Whitepelt | @Mica - Hawkfur | @Mizu - Snowpaw | @Dolomedes - Rabbitpaw | @Tiabirb - Swiftfire | @glitch - Thrushfreckle | @Moonraven - Batglare

Leechscar was a little disappointed at how few cats wanted were here, but then he remembered that this was dangerous and scary. What mattered the most was that he had enough cats to remove the vultures from the landmarks.

He looked over at Crowtooth as he came up and told him he knew how to hunt raptors! That was great, Leechscar knew who he could rely on to take charge of the hunt at the Falls. Before he could comment on the leaping part, Crowtooth's apprentice showed up, and began bragging about all the training he's got done. Never mind that he could leap, Leechscar was impressed that the kid got so much training done in so little time.

"You shouldn't have to worry about jumping. Vultures, as far as I can tell, usually land to eat their prey, they don't fly off with it like hawks or owls. If we lure them in with a-" Leechscar paused as his mother's words jumped into his head.

"No, Leechscar you cannot use apprentices as bait for hawk hunting. No, you cannot use the small warriors either. No, whether they're playing dead or live bait, you cannot use cats as bait... do you wanna go into temporary exile?"

He still felt threatening exile was a bit much, but as demotion didn't bother him, he understood why she settled on that punishment. Still, he thought his idea was better than wasting prey.

"If we lure them with a fresh kill, they should land allowing us to depatch them without much trouble. This is a small group, we might have to repeat the process to catch all the vultures, but it should work out." He told Crowtooth nonchalantly. "If you know how to hunt raptors already. I'll give you half of them to train. You can take those who can go to Twilight Falls and deal with vultures there."

After speaking to Crowtooth he looked over to Thushfreckle as he volunteered to tag along with him. "Sure, if you wanna come I've got no issue with that." Leechscar directed his next words to the group.

"Rabbitpaw, Whitepelt, Batglare, Watertail, Deadmoon, Swiftfire, Shrikepaw, Vinepaw, you'll be training with Crowtooth."

"Thrushfreckle, Brightpaw, Flashfeather, Rainyday, Talloak, Hawkfur, Snowpaw, Lightningpaw, you're with me," Leechscar told them.

"Vinepaw, Shrikepaw, Snowpaw, and Lightningpaw. You four are just learning, you're not coming along on the hunt." He meowed, making sure that they understood that.

The large gray tom padded some tail lengths from Crowtooth. "My group gather over here."

Purrks
Dawnstar: Beefed Up Tier 3 || Mindreader
Leechscar: Master Scout || Ultimate Predator

Dawnstar is the leader of ShadowClan and will shred you if you enter her den. She has a semi-closed den policy.
ShadowClan Resources ||| Dawnstar ||| ||| Kit Curriculum Finder

Last edited by Undertaker; May 17th, 2024 at 05:54 PM.
Old May 17th, 2024, 06:05 PM
Call Me Zei

Bump Policy: don't bump me if you don't want bumped
My Mood: Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post

@Rani - Crowtooth | @SeonghwasBunnyEars - Watertail | @Bean - Shrikepaw/Flashfeather | @sock - Rainyday | @MockingRabbit - Brightpaw | @Zei - Talloak | @gs29513 - Deadmoon | @Lightningpaw666 - Lightningpaw | @Tallstar - Vinepaw | @Realm - Whitepelt | @Mica - Hawkfur | @Mizu - Snowpaw | @Dolomedes - Rabbitpaw | @Tiabirb - Swiftfire | @glitch - Thrushfreckle | @Moonraven - Batglare

Leechscar was a little disappointed at how few cats wanted were here, but then he remembered that this was dangerous and scary. What mattered the most was that he had enough cats to remove the vultures from the landmarks.

He looked over at Crowtooth as he came up and told him he knew how to hunt raptors! That was great, Leechscar knew who he could rely on to take charge of the hunt at the Falls. Before he could comment on the leaping part, Crowtooth's apprentice showed up, and began bragging about all the training he's got done. Never mind that he could leap, Leechscar was impressed that the kid got so much training done in so little time.

"You shouldn't have to worry about jumping. Vultures, as far as I can tell, usually land to eat their prey, they don't fly off with it like hawks or owls. If we lure them in with a-" Leechscar paused as his mother's words jumped into his head.

"No, Leechscar you cannot use apprentices as bait for hawk hunting. No, you cannot use the small warriors either. No, whether they're playing dead or live bait, you cannot use cats as bait... do you wanna go into temporary exile?"

He still felt threatening exile was a bit much, but as demotion didn't bother him, he understood why she settled on that punishment. Still, he thought his idea was better than wasting prey.

"If we lure them with a fresh kill, they should land allowing us to depatch them without much trouble. This is a small group, we might have to repeat the process to catch all the vultures, but it should work out." He told Crowtooth nonchalantly. "If you know how to hunt raptors already. I'll give you half of them to train. You can take those who can go to Twilight Falls and deal with vultures there."

After speaking to Crowtooth he looked over to Thushfreckle as he volunteered to tag along with him. "Sure, if you wanna come I've got no issue with that." Leechscar directed his next words to the group.

"Rabbitpaw, Whitepelt, Batglare, Watertail, Deadmoon, Swiftfire, Shrikepaw, Vinepaw, you'll be training with Crowtooth."

"Thrushfreckle, Brightpaw, Flashfeather, Rainyday, Talloak, Hawkfur, Snowpaw, Lightningpaw, you're with me," Leechscar told them.

"Vinepaw, Shrikepaw, Snowpaw, and Lightningpaw. You four are just learning, you're not coming along on the hunt." He meowed, making sure that they understood that.

The large gray tom padded some tail lengths from Crowtooth. "My group gather over here."
Talloak paddled over in her funny way of walking. she was excited to hunt birds, it was a first for her but she felt eager to please her clanmates

Might go on Hiatus for 'bout 3 months, given summer vacation starts soon and i got practically no rps to keep me interested over the summer
Old May 17th, 2024, 07:55 PM
Star light, star bright,

Bump Policy: Don't care, just mention me.
My Mood: Hopeful

Snowpaw bounced over and ran in circles. "I wanna kill vultures after this! I can't wait! Oooh, Hawkfur will be so proud!"
(Can I use her Primal Instincts Purkk here, if at all possible?)
@Undertaker
@Lightningpaw666
@Bean
@Tallstar
I am currently on hiatus, will make it as semi as possible so if am not answering for a long while, that is the reason why! Looking forward to being back full time, which is not happening until school starts up again. Will miss you all, have an amazing time! (mumbles 'lucky' under her breath)
Old May 17th, 2024, 08:30 PM
ATEEZ Seonghwa is FOINE

Status: I speak English, Thai, German, Korean and some others
Bump Policy: Anytime <3
My Mood: In Love

Watertail sighed. The senior knew how to hunt hawks, but practice makes perfect no?

"If this moment is our wave. Dont' be afraid, face it with more strength"
- ATEEZ, WAVE

lio lurked here
hope dropped a bundle of chocolates here

@/Beanz@/mars@/Merp Machine@/CrimsionOaks@/WCUEhoneyfur @/Hollyheart of thunder

I love Seonghwa to Mars and back. I love his smile, his laugh, his amazing genderless, sleek style. I love everything about this man and nobody can change my mind. Park Seonghwa my joy I love you <3
Old May 17th, 2024, 10:21 PM
The Ping You Dread

Bump Policy: Anytime!
My Mood: Mellow

Hawkfur
WindClan Fury
he/him | 50 moons
[Russet tabby with tuxedo markings and sky blue eyes ]
Purrks: Flock Together T3, Beefed Up T1
· · ────────────── · ·
· · ────────────── · ·
Not many cats wanted to learn or partake in the patrol, but a significant number of those who did show up were apprentices. Hawkfur was glad to see the younger generation taking initiative about things like this. ... Stars, how hold was he, 80??

Leechscar assigned him to his group, and the older Fury padded over without ceremony. He could hear Snowpaw making a racket about how proud he was going to be when she learned how to hunt them, making him chuckle. It had been a long time since he had an apprentice so eager to learn. Actually, this might be a first for him.

With that, he waited patiently for the rest of the cats to split into groups.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hawkfur (WC) - Mistlewhisker (SC) - Eaglepaw (RC) - Birdpaw (SC) - Hillstrider (SC)
Bump whenever! <3
~~~~~
Old May 18th, 2024, 05:47 AM
Queen of Pinnepeds

Status: Neck deep in wild animals at work and reports at Uni!
Bump Policy: 5-7 days before bumping please, Ive got work lol
My Mood: Sleepy

Crowtooth
Windclan Tunneler/Fury | He/him | 51 Moons
Power Card: Cold Gust

Ah, looked like Leechscar would be throwing a task at him, the fury was always up for that!
Rabbitpaw was of course here and eager to participate as always which earned a chuckle. Though the apprentice might not be helping in the way he expected it seemed, as it appeared Leechscar had been watching the vultures and had a better view of their personalities. Didnt fly off like hawks or owls? It was more then possible, Crowtooth had been basing his approach for vultures on the last time he'd encountered them which was, oddly enough, Leechscars own birth. They'd swooped then, tried to attack and kill living cats in some sort of frenzy when they hadnt been able to kill the kitting leader. Again, those ones were odd.

But if Leechscar said they landed the tom was willing to believe no issue, though he cocked his head at the strange pause in explaining the plan to bait the creatures down. Frankly, Crowtooth wouldve totally thought the other fury's apprentice bait decision was a good one had he voiced it but if Twilightstar had said no it was probably better that thought stayed internal.

Instead the tom nodded, rasping out a "Im on it. More then anyone ya'd 'ave an airtight plan ta wipe these pests out, Ill make sure ya 'ave proper trained warriors ta work wit'." before he padded away, giving the other tom and his group room.

"Alright ya'll! Gather up, we're gettin' started!

Some o' ya'll prolly know how ta deal wit' raptors given they're our most common predator an' some o' ya dealt wit' vultures before when Twi was kittin'. Talkin' ta ya Deadmoon an' Swiftfire. However raptor huntin' as a skill has been wanin' so heres a lesson on how ta intentionally take 'em down wit'out it bein' because ya got no other choice in the moment.

First ta know no two raptors are made equal! Ya may have heard my talk wit' Leechscar but vultures dont tend ta swoop, just land, an' like mostly dead or small injured live prey ta target. Downside is they're easily the largest an' strongest raptor.

On the flipside owls ambush, most cats will never see or hear them comin' unless theyre somethin' special sensory wise. The small ones dont target cats but the large ones will swoop an' fully grab a cat takin' off wit' ya an' harmin' ya wit' their talons. However, they only hunt at night an' like to almost skim the ground when they swoop, which helps catchin' 'em.

Finally hawks an' eagles are easier ta see comin' an' will even circle a cat before divin' so dodgin' 'em is possible. But they dive from high ta low so are hard ta grab an' them grabbin'/clawin' ya will do more damage when they do connect an' they are the fastest."
If Crowtooth ever dreampt of Shockholly again he was going to thank her forever because he was basically being a parrot for the lessons the dead warrior had taught him. Previous encounters with the birds (one hawk and the vulture 'incident') he'd run off of instinct and had none of this information and had struggled for it.

This batch would not struggle the same.

"Now were ta hit. Avoid the feet! Raptor claws are their main weapon an' while it's an easy win if ya can pin those its a huge risk! Their belly aint a good target either, it dont bleed as much as a cat or other prey might so aint worth it.
However, if yer on their back they cant harm ya any an' their neck (though stubby on an owl) are an' instant kill. Bird bones are fragile an' snap at any force o' bite so ya can cripple a bird as soon as ya grab em, an' if its the wings ya grab that bird is a dead nuisance walkin' now!

Any questions on any o' this before we move on ta how ta hunt 'em?"

@Dolomedes @Realm @Moonraven @gs29513 @Tiabirb @Bean @Tallstar @SeonghwasBunnyEars

Last edited by Rani; May 18th, 2024 at 05:50 AM.
Old May 18th, 2024, 07:18 AM
ATEEZ Seonghwa is FOINE

Status: I speak English, Thai, German, Korean and some others
Bump Policy: Anytime <3
My Mood: In Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani View Post

Crowtooth
Windclan Tunneler/Fury | He/him | 51 Moons
Power Card: Cold Gust

Ah, looked like Leechscar would be throwing a task at him, the fury was always up for that!
Rabbitpaw was of course here and eager to participate as always which earned a chuckle. Though the apprentice might not be helping in the way he expected it seemed, as it appeared Leechscar had been watching the vultures and had a better view of their personalities. Didnt fly off like hawks or owls? It was more then possible, Crowtooth had been basing his approach for vultures on the last time he'd encountered them which was, oddly enough, Leechscars own birth. They'd swooped then, tried to attack and kill living cats in some sort of frenzy when they hadnt been able to kill the kitting leader. Again, those ones were odd.

But if Leechscar said they landed the tom was willing to believe no issue, though he cocked his head at the strange pause in explaining the plan to bait the creatures down. Frankly, Crowtooth wouldve totally thought the other fury's apprentice bait decision was a good one had he voiced it but if Twilightstar had said no it was probably better that thought stayed internal.

Instead the tom nodded, rasping out a "Im on it. More then anyone ya'd 'ave an airtight plan ta wipe these pests out, Ill make sure ya 'ave proper trained warriors ta work wit'." before he padded away, giving the other tom and his group room.

"Alright ya'll! Gather up, we're gettin' started!

Some o' ya'll prolly know how ta deal wit' raptors given they're our most common predator an' some o' ya dealt wit' vultures before when Twi was kittin'. Talkin' ta ya Deadmoon an' Swiftfire. However raptor huntin' as a skill has been wanin' so heres a lesson on how ta intentionally take 'em down wit'out it bein' because ya got no other choice in the moment.

First ta know no two raptors are made equal! Ya may have heard my talk wit' Leechscar but vultures dont tend ta swoop, just land, an' like mostly dead or small injured live prey ta target. Downside is they're easily the largest an' strongest raptor.

On the flipside owls ambush, most cats will never see or hear them comin' unless theyre somethin' special sensory wise. The small ones dont target cats but the large ones will swoop an' fully grab a cat takin' off wit' ya an' harmin' ya wit' their talons. However, they only hunt at night an' like to almost skim the ground when they swoop, which helps catchin' 'em.

Finally hawks an' eagles are easier ta see comin' an' will even circle a cat before divin' so dodgin' 'em is possible. But they dive from high ta low so are hard ta grab an' them grabbin'/clawin' ya will do more damage when they do connect an' they are the fastest."
If Crowtooth ever dreampt of Shockholly again he was going to thank her forever because he was basically being a parrot for the lessons the dead warrior had taught him. Previous encounters with the birds (one hawk and the vulture 'incident') he'd run off of instinct and had none of this information and had struggled for it.

This batch would not struggle the same.

"Now were ta hit. Avoid the feet! Raptor claws are their main weapon an' while it's an easy win if ya can pin those its a huge risk! Their belly aint a good target either, it dont bleed as much as a cat or other prey might so aint worth it.
However, if yer on their back they cant harm ya any an' their neck (though stubby on an owl) are an' instant kill. Bird bones are fragile an' snap at any force o' bite so ya can cripple a bird as soon as ya grab em, an' if its the wings ya grab that bird is a dead nuisance walkin' now!

Any questions on any o' this before we move on ta how ta hunt 'em?"

@Dolomedes @Realm @Moonraven @gs29513 @Tiabirb @Bean @Tallstar @SeonghwasBunnyEars
Watertail listened. The seeniro tom narrowed his eyes for a moment as his name wasn't czlled. But saying somethiing would be childish. Watertail gave no objections, he was skilled with hunting Vultures.

"If this moment is our wave. Dont' be afraid, face it with more strength"
- ATEEZ, WAVE

lio lurked here
hope dropped a bundle of chocolates here

@/Beanz@/mars@/Merp Machine@/CrimsionOaks@/WCUEhoneyfur @/Hollyheart of thunder

I love Seonghwa to Mars and back. I love his smile, his laugh, his amazing genderless, sleek style. I love everything about this man and nobody can change my mind. Park Seonghwa my joy I love you <3
Old May 18th, 2024, 08:33 AM

Bump Policy: Anytime
My Mood: Lurking

Vinepaw-7 Moons-Tunnler -Anxious,Kind.

Vinepaw sat and listened to crowtooths instructions silent.He knew that these skills could very well save his life or one of his clanmates lives while yes he would probably spend the majority of his warrior years in the tunnels it was still something he wanted desperately to learn so he could feel less anxious about the raptors and any old stupid bird tried to take him.Once crowtooth had started mentioning staying on the backs of the raptors Vinepaw tensed up slightly he was slightly glad he wasn’t going on the raptor patrol.He could hardly imagine pouncing onto the back of one of the beasts.Once crowfooth was done explaining he was left with no questions so he remained silent but he he was still observing
@Rani

https://warriorcatsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82554

Last edited by Tallstar; May 18th, 2024 at 08:34 AM.
Old May 19th, 2024, 08:01 PM
Moonraven's brother

Bump Policy: 3 days

@sock - Rainyday | @Bean - Flashfeather | @MockingRabbit - Brightpaw | @Zei - Talloak | @Mica - Hawkfur | @Mizu - Snowpaw | @glitch - Thrushfreckle | @Lightningpaw666 - Lightningpaw

Leechscar didn't wait long for everyone to gather. He listened to Crowtooth's little lecture, always willing to learn even if he felt like he had it handled. Nothing he said was news to Leechscar, although he completely forgot that Mother had him when vultures attacked. There must have been something wrong with those vultures because as far as he could tell, vultures were scavengers, they don't go out of their way to attack live healthy animals.

However, if she had lost a lot of blood, maybe she smelt sick or something and they frenzied. He had to ask his mother what type of vulture they had fought; the black vultures were more aggressive than the red-headed ones. But he was no raptor expert, he supposed he could be wrong. He'd have to think more about that one. Anyway, before he got further distracted, he should get his lesson started.

"So, the raptors we're hunting are going to be vultures. Unlike hawks and owls, who usually swoop down to catch their prey, they usually land and eat it since it is normally dead. As far as my knowledge goes, they don't normally carry prey around as it is dead, and from what Batglare's told me, their claws aren't made for carrying things. They've got some seriously sharp beaks, they're more likely to throw up on you than peck you, at least the one I hunted preferred it." He meowed with a disgusting grunt. Shock and repulsion had hit him when it threw up on him and then flew off. He had almost given up raptor hunting right then and there.

"Hawks, owls, and eagles are the most common raptors that you need to be on guard for. They all rely on their deadly talons when hunting. Owls are usually night hunters, so you won't see them during the day. All three raptors will usually ambush, dive down, and pounce like ShadowClan when they see prey. However, unlike hawks and eagles, Owls are far harder to detect, they are silent killers. If you're lucky you might hear their wings beat the air or catch a shadow in the moonlight." Honestly, he should have made Batglare give this dull lecture since he was just repeating the lesson he was given by the ancient.

"Hawks and eagles, you can usually see coming. With the sun they often cast a shadow and hawks aren't usually quiet killers. They usually circle before coming after prey and then dive." Leechscar told them. Since they weren't hunting hawks or eagles right now and Leehscar didn't want to get into too much detail.

"When they dive, if you can, the best approach is to dodge. Their claws are deadly weapons and can rip through a cat easily. I wouldn't suggest ever fighting a raptor head-to-head, you'll most likely take a lot of damage and or die." He meowed, that was just common sense talking there.

"But as we're supposed to be hunting them, not fighting, we can take a different appoarch. Baiting raptors is the best techique when it comes to hunting them. We'll be using fresh kill to attrack the vultures out of the sky, and once they land ambush them by jumping on their backs. Considering how big they are, the smaller cats will probably have to pair up, but bigger cat should be able to kill them without them flying off so long as you take care of their wings. They won't carry cats in their claws, but I'm not sure about if you on their backs. Stepping on their wings or keeping them from extending would be best, but if your fast enough, a kill bite to the neck will keep you from having to worry about the wings at all."

Leechscar wasn't sure how well these cats could hunt. Leechscar considering himself one of the best hunters in the clan, so when it came to killing prey he made it look effortless. He reminded himself that not everyone was as skilled as him in the aspect so he might have to work out a different techinique.

"When it comes to hawks and eagles, when they swoop down for the bait or whatever they're hunting, leaping up and aiming your claw at their wings is the go-to techinque. Again, do not try to do that if they're coming right at you. You'll most likely run straight into their talons and get critally injuried or die. If you snag your claws into the wing and drag it out of the sky or injuiry the wing enough to make plummets it to the ground, killing it will be much easier. I wouldn't try this without hunting with a partner though, you'd still have to contend with a sharp beak, powerful wings, and deadly talons to get to its neck." Snagging his claws into the bird's wing was one of his favorite hunting techinque with birds for prey.

"Acually, before you even attempt to try and catch anything like hawks, falcons, eagles or owls, I think it's best to take a bird hunting lesson. If some of you can't leap, like that old man," Leechscar almost added "with the bad back" after waving his tail towards Crowtooth. "We'll have to come up with a different hunting techinque for you since my techinque won't work for you. That or raptor hunting isn't going to be for you." Leechscar told them.

Leechscar was built bigger, not as thick as Crowtooth's boxy build, but bigger than average windclanner. He was nowhere near as fast as his mother and sister, and had adopted Batglare's stalk and pounce techinque if he was ever forced to hunt rabbits. But leaping he's never had much of a problem with, but he's been bird hunting since he was a apprentice, so he guessed he just had stronger hindlegs than Crowtooth. Nothing to brag about, Leechscar wouldn't last long in the tunnels or digging like Crowtooth. Different strokes for diffrent folks.

Purrks
Dawnstar: Beefed Up Tier 3 || Mindreader
Leechscar: Master Scout || Ultimate Predator

Dawnstar is the leader of ShadowClan and will shred you if you enter her den. She has a semi-closed den policy.
ShadowClan Resources ||| Dawnstar ||| ||| Kit Curriculum Finder
Old May 20th, 2024, 07:28 AM
don't eat me

Bump Policy: If I've failed to respond in a timely manner, please know that I'm trying very hard to be a person
My Mood: Lurking

Rainyday
she/her

Rainyday listened intently, cocking her head as Leechscar droned on about the correct hunting technique for birds of prey. It was hard to keep her mind from wandering, because she could tell that even he had gotten bored of his own speech rather quickly, but she managed to listen pretty well through the duration of it. The technique didn't exactly surprise her, but she probably wouldn't have thought to do it either, so she was rather grateful that Leechscar had decided to throw this little hunting party.

He did, however, outline multiple ways to die. That was to be expected, she supposed, when working with enormous birds with sharp talons and powerful beaks. Nothing like the little robins she caught on her short hunting excursions, that's for sure. She was also a little glad for the first time to be on the bulkier-built side of cats in WindClan. This way she wouldn't have to partner up with anybody. Most cats she'd probably be able to handle, but she didn't have a very high tolerance for mouse-brained apprentices.

Rainyday pricked her ears again, eagerly awaiting more instruction.

GOOD MOOOOOORNING!! Are you ready to complete your contractual obligations?
pronouns || please validate my art