Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Off-Topic (OOC) > General Board

Notice
Interested in joining the staff team? Look here!
Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader
Dawnstar
Deputy
: None
Medicine Cat: Lostspark
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Mossfreckle

RiverClan
Leader
: Fadingsun
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Mistyshard

Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

WindClan
Leader
Twilightstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
ShadowClan Clearing
by BEAR.
Last post by rubberRatroom
Today 11:34 PM
Hello!
Last post by Desert Rain Frog
Today 11:23 PM
The Venom Tree
Last post by Abyssopelagic
Today 11:22 PM
Boredom Brings New Friends
by Mizu
Last post by rubberRatroom
Today 11:21 PM
The House of Horrors...
by Dust
Last post by Dust
Today 11:09 PM

Old April 28th, 2024, 09:28 AM

Bump Policy: I'm not sure yet.
My Mood: Dreaming

Default Tips for Writing a Non-Cis Character?

Hello!

I hope to be roleplaying my OC Berrykit pretty soon, and she's going to be the first non-cis character I have.

Her entire kithood, she'll identify with her birth gender (she-cat). Then, as she moves into her apprenticeship, she'll begin to realize that she feels like a she-cat sometimes, a tom sometimes, doesn't want to identify as anything sometimes, etc. Basically, they'll be genderfluid. Then, some time after they become a warrior, they'll realize that they don't care what their Clanmates call them and will go by anything at any time (I think omnigender is the right word?).

So, essentially, I'm looking for tips, what to dos/what not to dos, and advice for writing a character with these qualities, as I am cis myself and do not have the experiences of a non-cis individual. I want to make sure I portray Berrykit accurately and non-offensively.

One thing I do already know is to not make the fact that they're genderfluid/omnigender their entire personality/character, even if it is a big part of them. Berrykit will very much be an individual; she doesn't exist just to be non-cis, but I want it to be a part of her character.

THUNDERCLAN BERRYKIT FINDER!!!

New and Improved Character Bios!
Old April 28th, 2024, 10:12 AM
richie lipschitz !!!

Bump Policy: 1 day time sensitive, 2 days if not [ please provide link ]

Default Re: Tips for Writing a Non-Cis Character?

placeholder as i write - nyan you are so thoughtful and cool for this /gen

cobwebpaw ☆ warblerpaw
trackers
Old April 28th, 2024, 10:15 AM

Bump Policy: 72 hours. busy during weekdays until 4 p.m. EST
My Mood: Angelic

i am also someone who does not care about gender or what others call them! i use the term gender-apathetic, personally.

depending on berrykit's personality and early life i imagine they could feel about it different ways. the gender(s) berry is attracted to could also factor into this, depending on whether she realizes her sexuality or gender first, or both at the same time. also berrykit's opinion on kits- when he's younger, does the idea of being a mom/queen feel uncomfortable, neutral or positive? what kind of male and female (or other) role models does berrykit have in their life, and do they try to act similar to or different from those role models as berry grows up? would berry make a big deal out of coming out, is it a more private thing, do they try to avoid it... for me i actually never came out, because of the whole "not caring about gender" thing. people can perceive me as cis and that's fine, it's my friends who refer to me by he/him. lots of questions to ask when deciding their feelings about their identity!
blazepaw

my rp tracker

Last edited by zozelen; April 28th, 2024 at 10:19 AM.
Old April 28th, 2024, 11:42 AM

@zozelen

Thank you very much! I'll keep this in mind as I write him.

Old April 28th, 2024, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillycreatur View Post
placeholder as i write - nyan you are so thoughtful and cool for this /gen

Old April 28th, 2024, 10:03 PM
roar

Bump Policy: 72 hrs/48 for importance
My Mood: Lazy

Tbh there's not really one way to write non-cis characters. Everyone's experiences with their genders are going to vary in one way or another so you don't need to be too worried about sticking to one strict pipeline. Some folks can figure it out pretty quickly while it takes others longer. Some end up figuring it out after talking to someone with similar experiences, other times it just kind of clicks. (For example Bumble was harassed during her stretch of missing time from TC by a meanspirited baby who called her a girl and she realized oh! that fits better.) And for some it'll be easier to decide when and how to come out than others. Don't feel like you have to pick a straight line and run with it, if something doesn't feel like it fit's with the character then you can switch it up a bit. As long as the portrayal avoids harmful assumptions/stereotypes (ie. has to start enjoying things that align with their gender identity and hating things that align with their AGAB, it's something that's chosen, infantilizing the character, that it's the only major part of their identity/the only thing they talk about, etc etc) you'll be fine.
Old April 29th, 2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino. View Post
Tbh there's not really one way to write non-cis characters. Everyone's experiences with their genders are going to vary in one way or another so you don't need to be too worried about sticking to one strict pipeline. Some folks can figure it out pretty quickly while it takes others longer. Some end up figuring it out after talking to someone with similar experiences, other times it just kind of clicks. (For example Bumble was harassed during her stretch of missing time from TC by a meanspirited baby who called her a girl and she realized oh! that fits better.) And for some it'll be easier to decide when and how to come out than others. Don't feel like you have to pick a straight line and run with it, if something doesn't feel like it fit's with the character then you can switch it up a bit. As long as the portrayal avoids harmful assumptions/stereotypes (ie. has to start enjoying things that align with their gender identity and hating things that align with their AGAB, it's something that's chosen, infantilizing the character, that it's the only major part of their identity/the only thing they talk about, etc etc) you'll be fine.
Sounds great! Are there any other stereotypes I should avoid? Also, Berrykit will initially be genderfluid, then realize they don’t care what others call them and just go by anything at any time. Would that be considered a “choice” (like, in a harmful way) or is that okay?

Old April 29th, 2024, 01:14 PM
roar

Bump Policy: 72 hrs/48 for importance
My Mood: Lazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNyanCatMinecart View Post
Sounds great! Are there any other stereotypes I should avoid? Also, Berrykit will initially be genderfluid, then realize they don’t care what others call them and just go by anything at any time. Would that be considered a “choice” (like, in a harmful way) or is that okay?
Nothing else comes to mind off the top of my head, those listed are just what I've seen pop out at me most.

Choosing what to be referred to as is perfectly fine and not at all harmful o7 someone can choose to go by he/him or they/them, or this name or that one, but cannot choose to be transgender or genderfluid, or gay or bisexual. For example I didn't choose to be a transgender man but I did decide that he/him pronouns fit me best, and i got a few friends together to choose a name that better suited me.

Last edited by dino.; April 29th, 2024 at 01:15 PM.
Old April 30th, 2024, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino. View Post
Nothing else comes to mind off the top of my head, those listed are just what I've seen pop out at me most.

Choosing what to be referred to as is perfectly fine and not at all harmful o7 someone can choose to go by he/him or they/them, or this name or that one, but cannot choose to be transgender or genderfluid, or gay or bisexual. For example I didn't choose to be a transgender man but I did decide that he/him pronouns fit me best, and i got a few friends together to choose a name that better suited me.
Good to know! Thanks!

Old May 1st, 2024, 07:32 PM

Boop! <3