Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Off-Topic (OOC) > Site Assistance

Notice
Interested in joining the staff team? Look here!
Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader
Dawnstar
Deputy
: None
Medicine Cat: Lostspark
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Mossfreckle

RiverClan
Leader
: Fadingsun
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Mistyshard

Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

WindClan
Leader
Twilightstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
Hawkcatcher
Last post by Luminous
Today 03:26 PM
Songbird and Rattlesnake...
Last post by lys.luvbot
Today 03:25 PM
~HONEYKIT FINDER~
Last post by Honey Bee
Today 03:20 PM
chilling by the water [rc...
Last post by lys.luvbot
Today 03:14 PM
Squirrelwhisker Family...
by paris
Last post by paris
Today 03:13 PM
Closed Thread

Old April 26th, 2024, 02:28 PM
it's not a phase

Bump Policy: please do it like every 24ish hours, or earlier idrm
My Mood: Kingly
Default dice

so i've seen posts that are like "roll for perception = 13" and ik that that's used in like DnD, is it required? and also its like 1-9 is fail and 10-20 is success, right?

leopard. trampled this place with cats | Rat(e)piales launches rats onto this sig

Character Creator! (read the description please, i just made a new version of someone else's game that had limited color options. it is their art, not mine!)
Old April 26th, 2024, 02:33 PM
What matters is ‘you’

Bump Policy: 2 days minimum
My Mood: Kingly

Default Re: dice

@forest nope, not required !! some people just like to use the added flavor of having the dice sort of decide outcomes for you.

heres how i do it:

it varies for what the roll is for/who the roll is for. if its an apprentice hunting for the first time usually i'll make the dc to beat higher, like 12-14 depending on what's being hunted and for warriors i'll have the dc 8-10 - again depending on what's being hunted. (mice, voles, moles etc would be easier so they get a lower dc, birds and rabbits are harder so they get a higher dc)

battle training/actual fights i'd roll 2d20, one roll is the number to beat and the other roll is my characters contesting roll. if my chara rolls higher then theyre successful to a degree reflective of how much higher they rolled in relation to the roll to beat and it works the same way for if they roll lower - success/fail varies in how widely successful/horrible depending on the number of separation between the two rolls. like, if the roll to beat is a 14 and i roll a 19? thats almost a crit success so they get away unscathed and launch the next attack, roll to beat is a 14 and i roll a 5? they get pretty damaged and their counter attack will likely fail.

1 is always a crit fail no matter what and 20 is always a crit success no matter what - including rolling w/ advantage and disadvantage. advantage is usually with a skill the character knows well, so if i have an older warrior hunting a mouse, i could have them roll w/ advantage or if i have an apprentice fighting a warrior, all their rolls would be with disadvantage and vise versa.

Last edited by Neptune.; April 26th, 2024 at 02:34 PM.
Old April 26th, 2024, 03:45 PM
revenge is a fools game

Status: "we can be all poetic and just lose our minds together"
Bump Policy: 2days, 24hours if time sensitive
My Mood: Yeehaw

Default Re: dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest View Post
so i've seen posts that are like "roll for perception = 13" and ik that that's used in like DnD, is it required? and also its like 1-9 is fail and 10-20 is success, right?

you do not have to use that system however, some event hosts roll/or ask you to roll a d20 to determine your characters success (some purrks may let you roll more than once and chose the higher number too, depends on host ofc). you dont have to do that for normal roleplay but i personally like to roll a d20 and do 12-20: success and below 12 fail just so i dont just let my character succeed all the time. and if its a slim fail you could have them almost catch the prey or smt so it can also give you an idea for ic actions :3
im still working on a more specific system but i think @/neptune has a really interesting one so thats definitely worth taking into consideration if youre looking for a specific system
edit: tiny edit, for herb collecting i differenciate. my character with high herbal knowledge and the collector purrk gets 2 rolls and i get to chose the higher one, for all other ones i roll once. dont have anything specific regarding the herbal knowledge part (i do 12+ success for either character) but i think i might look into that soon :eyes;

"i wish things were different, but it werent us who changed."

━━━━━━━━
my bios | minks requirements | art store

Last edited by alec; April 26th, 2024 at 03:47 PM.
Closed Thread