Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Off-Topic (OOC) > Visual Arts

Notice
Please make sure to read this important policy change and reminder!

Check out WCO's first ever short story contest!
Allegiances
ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cat: Wolfpaw
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

ShadowClan
Leader: Dawnstar
Deputy: Mistlewhisker
Medicine Cat: Mossfreckle
Medicine Cat Apprentice: Grousepaw

RiverClan
Leader: Stormstar
Deputy: Owltalon
Medicine Cat: Berryshine
Medicine Cat Apprentice: Cobwebfern

WindClan
Leader: Twilightstar
Deputy: Crowtooth
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: Rabbitpaw
Recent Threads
Hi, i'm Mattimeo
Last post by Quietheart
Today 10:13 PM
Softpaw's Training [P]
by Fits
Last post by Fits
Today 10:12 PM
RiverClan Skyridge
by BEAR.
Last post by Fish
Today 10:11 PM
RiverClan Clearing
by BEAR.
Last post by vellichor
Today 10:10 PM
Short Story Contest
by marshy
Last post by Crown_Sage
Today 10:03 PM

Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
alright buddy, soup time

Bump Policy: 24-48 hours please :}
My Mood: Mellow
Default Feeling Lost

I recently drew the opposite of my artstyle, and now my artstyle doesn't feel... right to me. It doesn't feel like it looks good, it just feels like my style doesn't match how good everybody else's art looks, or even how the opposite style looked. It feels wrong. I feel like I can never make it look as good as I did a while ago. I'm looking for support or something, but not that type of support like "no ur art looks good eufbuwbfbkskj". More like, "Your art looks good, but here are some ideas to make it feel more right."
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

Bump Policy: 1-2 Days, I'm Very Forgetful!
My Mood: Mysterious

Default Re: Feeling Lost

OHHH YESSS! I FINALLY GET TO HELP SOMEONE!

Your Current Style Looks Good, But If Recommend More Anular Snapped Face With Plump Almond Shaped Eyes! Rounded Ears Is A Good Look Aswell, Makes The Cat Seem Overall More Realistic!

@Clamfish If Ya Want Some More Art Tips, VM Me!
- Art Contest
Im Currently Making My Own Comic Series! With Help Of WCO Members, "Savage's Decent" Is Its Name. Ill Post Stuff Soon! VM Me "Meep" For Information On It!
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM
alright buddy, soup time

Bump Policy: 24-48 hours please :}
My Mood: Mellow

thank you my style is very... um. hm. how do I make this not sound like i'm hinting at the deed..? it's... Let's say 'squishy'. it uses a lot of curvy lines and blobby shapes. ty for the advice tho
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM
what is fake is real

Bump Policy: any time. don’t be worried
My Mood: Lurking

hey! been drawing for a while. i’m not the most conventional of artists, but i think i can still try to give you some of my own words

why did i give an example of my own work? because i think it will make me more credible for one of my points, which is: i think you may be getting put off by your current artstyle because, in your mind, you’re starting to blend “complexity” with “good,” a common hole to fall down dug by the same principle that makes some people believe realism is the only true “good” art. i have a more “complex” style with thin lines, gradient shading, and other little habits that mimic some artists that are more detail-oriented in their works

^ this is a screenshot from a frame of a YouTube animation “over & over” by a popular artist and animator called cuptoast, crumb… a few other names in their animations, this artist is beloved for using a simpler style and thick lines, just like you! do you think this looks good? i do. and this isn’t even a frame with a scene background!

how do you improve your current artstyle? well, the big thing that aaaall the big artists do is: art studies. seriously, if you follow any, you will eventually find at least one comment where they state that they do art studies. an art study is when you look at an artist with a style you like or a style similar to yours but better in some way, and you analyze how their art works, then try applying it yourself either in a one-off art piece or to a style you want to build. you can find art/artists to study anywhere, but people seem to love Pinterest; and, yes, you will find a lot of great artists with a thick lineart style, even many with a large following. if you start adding little things that you love from other artists to your art, you’re bound to like your own art, right?

the big thing to remember so that you don’t box yourself in is that an artstyle is not a specific way to draw characters: it is how you bring your lines, colors, and overall composition together. so having different characters with different facial features like eye and pupil shapes, or just overall different builds is something that may even make your art better, especially if your art is of a more compact artstyle (and some artstyles’ whole shtick is that every character looks wildly different, even). you do not need to “find your style,” because you can always draw any “style” and make it look good

and, hey, guess what? while crumb is renowned for that thick artstyle, they actually do create art all the time that has thinner lines, and they vary their style between pieces plenty. these pieces are pieces that they show on their lesser known social medias - or just keep to themself - and do not get the same attention as the style in the image above… because people just adore how well they pull off the use of thick lines! you don’t need to have “one style” - you can have one, then hone another, and another, and another. branching out is a good thing, and doesn’t have to mean that you will end up abandoning the style you have right now - you might find a new style you want to try, or you might discover some features you want to implement into a style you already have

sorry that this is a long read! hope this is enlightening. for more specific advice on improving your artstyle, i can walk you through an analysis and comparison of crumb’s style - or any other artist you’d like to emulate - and give you some pointers from there if you would want anything more from me