My Mood: Inspired

Default Re: Whispering Wetlands

Swiftfire
38 Moons
She/Her
Purrk(s): Ultimate Predator

WC Border Patrol w/ Dunecall

-------------------------------

The Whispering Wetlands...Ugh. One of her least favorite places. The creepy atmosphere was even worse in leaf-bare. The gnarled branches of the willow trees looked an awful lot like twisted claws without the drooping, swaying vines that willows were known for. And the wind! It whistled and warped within the clawing branches, and Swiftfire fluffed up her pelt, as if looking bigger would intimidate the awful sounds into stopping.

Well, it didn't work. Reaching the border, Swiftfire looked over at Dunecall, wondering what the tom would be thinking of this eerie place. Glancing around to ensure they were alone, she meowed, "I don't say this often, but I hate this border..." Swiftfire shuddered as yet another wind howled around them. "Wet paws, weird sounds...if it wasn't a good spot to hunt rabbits, I'd happily forget it's part of the territory..."

"Would...you like to.." The tortoiseshell warrior hesitated, "Well I don't want to be weird, but...I-I'd rather not be alone here.." She shuffled her paws, looking down at the ground in embarrassment. What kind of warrior asks another to hold her paw just because she's scared?

She was that kind of warrior. Apparently.

@Wingnettle
Old February 2nd, 2024, 09:21 PM

Bump Policy: Every few hours, I usually try to respond as quickly as I can
My Mood: Amused

Night had been assigned a hunting patrol, it was now getting dark and light snow had been falling during the day, its a cold night, much of the prey will be hiding within their homes for the warmth, this will be very challenging but its leafbare and the freshkill pile usually ends up being low all the time, if he can catch at least two things this night, then at least two of the clans cats can have a meal.

Night spent a long time moving about slowly, his ears perked and nose in the air, he sniffed with his mouth open to take in all the scents around him. He hasnt been able to detect anything for a while but just now he picked up the faintest scent of something in a tree above him, his eyes narrow, then he sees it, a flying squirrel, one of the few squirrels that prefer to come out at night. It must be looking for seeds in this area, he needs to wait, if he tries to go after it right now itll jump and glide away into the darkness.

Night slowly moves into a small dip in the earth where it is darkest, his black pelt helping camouflage him into the darkness, only his green eyes shine slightly as he watches the squirrel, now its a waiting game.

"UNTIL I THREW DOWN MY ENEMY AND SMOTE HIS RUIN UPON THE MOUNTAINSIDE -GANDALF THE WHITE
NIGHTWOLF SHADOWCLAN
24 MOONS
LARGE BLACK TABBY

BOULDERPAW RIVERCLAN
9 MOONS
GREY STRIPED TABBY
Old February 2nd, 2024, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewolfers View Post
Night had been assigned a hunting patrol, it was now getting dark and light snow had been falling during the day, its a cold night, much of the prey will be hiding within their homes for the warmth, this will be very challenging but its leafbare and the freshkill pile usually ends up being low all the time, if he can catch at least two things this night, then at least two of the clans cats can have a meal.

Night spent a long time moving about slowly, his ears perked and nose in the air, he sniffed with his mouth open to take in all the scents around him. He hasnt been able to detect anything for a while but just now he picked up the faintest scent of something in a tree above him, his eyes narrow, then he sees it, a flying squirrel, one of the few squirrels that prefer to come out at night. It must be looking for seeds in this area, he needs to wait, if he tries to go after it right now itll jump and glide away into the darkness.

Night slowly moves into a small dip in the earth where it is darkest, his black pelt helping camouflage him into the darkness, only his green eyes shine slightly as he watches the squirrel, now its a waiting game.

After a while the squirrel finally started to climb down, its most likely going to search for seeds and nuts under the snow, Night watches for a while until it hits the ground, snow had begun to fall on night but he made no movement to shake it off, he waited for the squirrel to move farther and farther from the tree, as it did he moved as slow as a slug, each step certain slowly pressing onto the snow so that its crunch doesnt echo throughout the area

The squirrel had found something and was now digging in the snow, as it dug Night moved in closer and closer until he was in pouncing distance, his hind legs tensed up as he prepared himself then when the squirrel had its head in the snow digging for nuts Night pounced and landed on the squirrel quickly delivering the finishing blow to the back of its neck

Thats one.. its not big and plump but at least it isnt a scrawny catch either, he digs a hole and buries the squirrel, hopefully he can catch one more, the moon was out now and the temperature is only getting colder.

"UNTIL I THREW DOWN MY ENEMY AND SMOTE HIS RUIN UPON THE MOUNTAINSIDE -GANDALF THE WHITE
NIGHTWOLF SHADOWCLAN
24 MOONS
LARGE BLACK TABBY

BOULDERPAW RIVERCLAN
9 MOONS
GREY STRIPED TABBY
Old February 2nd, 2024, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewolfers View Post
After a while the squirrel finally started to climb down, its most likely going to search for seeds and nuts under the snow, Night watches for a while until it hits the ground, snow had begun to fall on night but he made no movement to shake it off, he waited for the squirrel to move farther and farther from the tree, as it did he moved as slow as a slug, each step certain slowly pressing onto the snow so that its crunch doesnt echo throughout the area

The squirrel had found something and was now digging in the snow, as it dug Night moved in closer and closer until he was in pouncing distance, his hind legs tensed up as he prepared himself then when the squirrel had its head in the snow digging for nuts Night pounced and landed on the squirrel quickly delivering the finishing blow to the back of its neck

Thats one.. its not big and plump but at least it isnt a scrawny catch either, he digs a hole and buries the squirrel, hopefully he can catch one more, the moon was out now and the temperature is only getting colder.
It took NightWolf quite a bit but he was able to catch another squirrel far from where he had caught the first one, this one gave him trouble since it kept running down and back up a tree almost as if mocking him, after feeling frustrated enough Night took a chance and chased it up a tree after it came down and with starclans help he was able to catch it before it jumped off and glided to safety.

"Two squirrels, hopefully this will help the clan," he says taking the squirrel, he heads back to were he had buried the first freshkill and picks it up as well, he heads back to camp with a decent catch, well decent enough for a night in leafbare. He goes to the freshkill pile and drops the two squirrels.

Feeling exhausted he heads to the warriors den and goes to sleep satisfied that he provided for his clan.

NIGHTWOLF SHADOWCLAN
24 MOONS
LARGE BLACK TABBY

BOULDERPAW RIVERCLAN
9 MOONS
GREY STRIPED TABBY
Old February 3rd, 2024, 02:53 PM
When day breaks

Status: Abandon yourself to the light... The sun is calling...
My Mood: Mysterious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist Kitsune View Post

| Silverlark |
Shadow Fiend - Inactive | Just a Scratch - Inactive | Beefed Up [Tier 3] - Inactive

"Heh heh. Catch ya laters, then. Catch ya laters," the enforcer mewed in a chipper mood as he bounded off, heading down the WindClan border.

Silverlark was careful to remain on ShadowClan's side of the marsh, not wishing to cause problems for Dawnstar while the alliance was in place. As it was, the muscular tom had never had an issue with WindClan, notedly having only had good conversations with them at gatherings... WindClan being the exception among the clans not his own. He knew that some of the other cats in his clan liked to call them bunnies and mock their cowardice, but as they stood, the silver throated warrior felt they were the most honor bound of clans... right after ShadowClan, of course. They just... never seemed to attack out of the blue, and for some reason the others seemed to mistake that for weakness? The young feline begged to differ. ThunderClan's constant attacks and preying on apprentices and medicine cats? That was weak. Not needing to display your so called strength through cowardly acts of arrogance simply made you stronger as far as he was concerned.

It took some time while he thoroughly checked the more obvious spots to scent, but the round ears tom was done, taking note of WindClan's own scent at the border line. He couldn't tell if they had recently marked or not, but there had most definitely been WindClan cats here of late, which he assumed must have been checking on their borders to some degree. The scents did not leak through, however. Not to his admittedly less than stellar tracking abilities, and content with his findings, he padded back towards the meeting spot. Hopefully, Blackhawk would be done with his side as well and they could go back and report to Vulturefang. Victory on a job well done, heh heh.

@Red Dawn [Blackhawk]

Blackhawk
ShadowClan Warrior

He went his own way... Ah... Patrol was so good... Especially here... The souvenirs of when he was only an Outsider started to pop as he checked left and right, marking the trees on the border...

WindClan must have passed here lately... But nothing went over their side of the border, everything seemed good!

Satisfied with his markings, he backed up, looking at the area he had checked like an artist in front of a painting.

He smiled.

And went back to the meeting point with Silverlark, who was already waiting.

"Finished to check my corner, everything seems good."

He reported.
The skies are gone.
For us there is no joy...
It's rising at the horizon.
This red sun...
The red light consume us all...
It's the dawn of a new day... The day...
When day breaks...
Old February 4th, 2024, 06:10 AM
a winter in my heart

Bump Policy: 1 week
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiabirb View Post
Swiftfire
38 Moons
She/Her

WC Border Patrol w/ Dunecall

The Whispering Wetlands...Ugh. One of her least favorite places. The creepy atmosphere was even worse in leaf-bare. The gnarled branches of the willow trees looked an awful lot like twisted claws without the drooping, swaying vines that willows were known for. And the wind! It whistled and warped within the clawing branches, and Swiftfire fluffed up her pelt, as if looking bigger would intimidate the awful sounds into stopping.

Well, it didn't work. Reaching the border, Swiftfire looked over at Dunecall, wondering what the tom would be thinking of this eerie place. Glancing around to ensure they were alone, she meowed, "I don't say this often, but I hate this border..." Swiftfire shuddered as yet another wind howled around them. "Wet paws, weird sounds...if it wasn't a good spot to hunt rabbits, I'd happily forget it's part of the territory..."

"Would...you like to.." The tortoiseshell warrior hesitated, "Well I don't want to be weird, but...I-I'd rather not be alone here.." She shuffled her paws, looking down at the ground in embarrassment. What kind of warrior asks another to hold her paw just because she's scared?

She was that kind of warrior. Apparently.

@Wingnettle
Dunecall
Windclan
40 moons | he/him

The Collector | Herbal Knowledge T1
Dunecall narrowed his eyes, watching the eerie landscape through blue slits. He sensed Swiftfire's tension beside him, but was more focused on his surroundings to pay it much attention at first. The Whispering Wetlands... a place you could never be too careful, no matter what kind of alliance you got with Shadowclan. Dunecall would never trust them enough.

"Let's place our markers." he said, as if the two needed a reminder of their job. When his friend spoke, he could not help but nod in approval. He did not like this place either, and that's why he was so alert on a patrol around it. To make the atmosphere a bit lighter, he replied to Swiftfire's last comment about the good hunting spot: "Yeah, seems that rabbits like to stick their paws in these marshlands! Good for us, huh? Might slow 'em down at any time."

They walked forward, and Dunecall left his strong Windclan scent on the ground, the rocks, the little shrubs they found on the way. He observed as Swiftfire did the same, then she spoke.
Mh? What did she mean, exactly?

She looked tense, as if she was waiting for some kind of special answer from him. She was also blushing, a signal that made Dunecall think she was starting to feel cold from the breeze blowing on them. So he decided to brush against her and press his black-brown pelt against hers, fluffing up to keer her warm. He grinned at her, and commented: "A bit better, isn't it?"

Blood is one of the Atari healers. He has an open den policy.

toyhouseart shop
trackervet advice

Old February 4th, 2024, 10:52 AM
Why bother?

Swiftfire
38 Moons
She/Her

She kept close to Dunecall as they left their markers. The scent of WindClan was heavy in the air. She let out a half-amused snort about the rabbits, and she replied sarcastically, "Let's hope they don't grow webbed paws anytime soon then," She watched while Dunecall marked another set of bushes, and when it was her turn she weaved her scent into the leaves and branches as thoroughly as she could. The wind picked up, making her fur bristle as the otherwordly sounds echoed around them.

That was when she felt warm fur press close to her side, and she whipped her head around to stare as Dunecall fluffed his pelt out. She blinked at the tom in surprise, but when he grinned, his blue eyes matching the expression, Swiftfire couldn't place the awkward feeling floating in her stomach. But the extra warmth was nice, and the tortoiseshell and white she-cat visibly relaxed and pressed back against Dunecall's side.

"Yeah, this is a lot better, actually." Swiftfire murmured. Her pelt was..odd. Thin in some places and longer in others. Such as her head, neck and tail. The rest of her? She wasn't a thin-pelt, but she wasn't as prepped for the cold as Dunecall was, it seemed. He simply radiated heat, and Swiftfire found herself leaning further and further into it. She hadn't realized how much she missed the close comfort of another cat. Her nest was tucked in the back of the warrior's den, away from the others that liked to sleep closer together...and she had no family, no kin in WindClan any longer. Being close to Dunecall, made her realize how lonely she really was. So yes...

This was very nice.

That was until a branch hanging low on the bush they had just covered in their scent, poked her nose, causing her to sneeze out and pull away from Dunecall. But the cloud of loneliness..she could feel it now. She glanced at Dunecall apologetically, wishing to have enjoyed that moment as little longer. But...she wasn't about to say that. Not yet. Dunecall made her...feel things. A lot of things. Swiftfire wanted to sort those...feelings out before she said anything more mouse-brained than she had. Looking away, she cleared her throat and bent her head to smooth down her chest fur with a few hasty licks.

"So, are we done here, or do we want to grab something on the way back?" She asked, shaking herself out from ear to tail to chase away the lingering worries. She padded away from the bush, parting her jaws to taste the air. Nope, nothing but the smell of Windclan in every direction..

@Wingnettle
Old February 5th, 2024, 05:38 AM
a winter in my heart

Bump Policy: 1 week
My Mood: Tired

Dunecall
Windclan
40 moons | he/him

The Collector | Herbal Knowledge T1
Dunecall watched as Swiftfire was pulled away and sneezed. "Oh, bless Starclan!" he exclaimed with a fun expression, for he was the type of cat who never lost his smile. Then he stopped and stared at his friend for a few seconds, trying to decipher her enigmatic expression as she groomed her chest hastily. He could not do it, but still!

"Mmh.. Not much out here, unfortunately." He decided to try and sniff the air once more, open his mouth, too, to find any small trace of scent that a rabbit might have left on its passage... "No rabbit, BUT. There's somethin' muddy in the air. Shadowclan frogs, I would say?" he suggested, pointing his muzzle a bit further where some swamps overstepped the boundaries and entered in Windclan territories.

"Me, personally don't have much taste for frogs. But they're fun to catch, I must say." He was suggesting a friendly hunting catch to Swiftfire, so he grinned and stepped ahead, waving his tail in that direction to invite her over. "C'mon, it'll be fun."

Blood is one of the Atari healers. He has an open den policy.

toyhouseart shop
trackervet advice

Old February 6th, 2024, 01:35 PM
Why bother?

Swiftfire
38 Moons
She/Her

"Frogs? Really?" She scrunched her nose a bit at the idea. But the idea of harassing some frogs for mere amusement did appeal to her, and she accepted the invite. "Maybe the frogs will flush something out for us," She suggested as she bounded past Dunecall, peering toward the swampy bit of land.

"We can mark the border there too while we're at it." Swiftfire added waving her tail from one side to the other. She tasted the air, appreciating the gust of wind that brought scents upwind to her nose and tongue. She smacked her lips with a scowl, tasting fresh patrol marks from ShadowClan and swamp gas that emanated from the disgusting water pockets. "Smells pretty strongly of ShadowClan, so best to keep our scents up too." She bounded down the slope toward the watery grounds, thankful for her long legs that kept the foul-smelling water from reaching her belly fur.
Swiftfire approached one of the markers, a tall thick bush of reeds and briars, and she doused it in her scent.

But then a croak caught her attention, and she stiffened, her eyes snapping in the direction the sound came from. She didn't see it at first, her eyes roving over a clump of stones and mud to her right. Then she heard it again, and she pounced just as a fat brown frog took a massive leap, soaring a whole mouselength above her head. Cold, soggy water blasted into her mouth and face, making her recoil and gag.

"Dunecall, over here!" Swiftfire gasped out, spitting the water from her mouth and blinking water from her eyes. But despite the soggy start, she felt something she hadn't in a long time. Fun! A memory from moons upon moons ago, playing moss-ball with whoever she could. This was just a moss-ball that could throw itself!
If I ever have kits, I'll catch them a frog to play with...

The thought struck her suddenly, as if she had taken a swipe from a badger, and she wondered just where that...thought spawned from. Her memory? Her new friendship? Her eyes slid to Dunecall, her expression for a change bright and unclouded with some stoic visage. Then an idea came to her, and she dropped into a crouch, wriggling her hindquarters in preparation to pounce on her friend.

@Wingnettle
Old February 8th, 2024, 10:13 AM

Again NightWolf looked at the sky, the clouds kept the warm sun hidden and prey would be hiding along with it, he trudged through the mud and snow of the wetlands, his fur covered in both, but he didnt seem to mind, he had just started hunting, so he's still pretty warm even with the leafbare weathers cold temperatures

Suddenly he sees movement, just what he was looking for, a small vole scurrying around looking for a meal. Night sets himself into the hunters crouch and stalks forward, with a pounce he lands on the unsuspecting creature, with a quick blow of his paw Night finishes it off, his first fresh kill. of the day for the clan

NIGHTWOLF SHADOWCLAN
24 MOONS
LARGE BLACK TABBY

BOULDERPAW RIVERCLAN
9 MOONS
GREY STRIPED TABBY