Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Main Warriors Roleplay > Outskirts > Private Roleplays

Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader
Dawnstar
Deputy
: Mistlewhisker
Medicine Cat: Mossfreckle

Medicine Cat Apprentice: Grousepaw

RiverClan
Leader
: Fadingsun
Deputy:
Dusklion
Medicine Cat: Mistyshard

Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Berrypaw

WindClan
Leader
Twilightstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
alternative points of data...
by Apollo.
Last post by glitch
Today 07:51 AM
✰Rowan’s Writing and...
by Rowan
Last post by Rowan
Today 07:49 AM
WindClan Galewood
by Ian
Last post by SilverFur.
Today 07:45 AM
Wren finder [rc/atari]
Last post by Rowan
Today 07:45 AM
RiverClan Mountain...
Last post by Minkuu
Today 07:42 AM

Old October 29th, 2023, 05:44 AM
Still staring nervously

Bump Policy: Currently after 4 days!
My Mood: Dreaming

Default Re: Teach me oh great healer

It was a tricky game, really. Sweets had long come to understand that the arts of healing weren’t easy, and frankly one ought to wonder why a cat such as herself would be even remotely interested in challenging such a game – but, that’s precisely what it is, isn’t it? It’s the challenge that makes it fun, and interesting, if you will. And this charade made it all the more challenging, keeping up the act of a sweet and innocent feline – as though she wasn’t that already. A nervous twitch here, a little glance there, imaging someone who lacks in confidence but has much in curiosity and kindness was the role she’d be playing.

A toothy grin came from the other feline, whose mouth ought to be numb by now if his explanation of burdock root was anything to go off. And in turn, her ears flickered as she returned a little smile, assuming this positive reaction meant her answers were correct. Look at her, already levelling up! It gave a little pep in her step, one she quickly shut down with an embarrassed chuckle. Listen, you doofus, his words are invisible gold.

His explanation of infection was quite thorough, they had to say. They recalled that other cat, ah she couldn’t remember the name, who had only mentioned an infection’s bad smell – that’s about all these two explanations had in common. Perhaps this cat was more experienced, then? Or a practised charlatan playing them for a fool, but she was more inclined to believe the earlier. Either way, infections sounded absolutely horrid! Swelling, red hot skin, … And whatever that puss stuff was, in an array of colours she’d all have to remember. White, pink, green, brown and yellow. Anyone letting their wounds rot – living with the smell and ugliness of it – must be an utter fool.

And then Nathaniel mentioned something outright baffling: if it gets to bad on an appendage (a fancy word she assumed referred to a body part) it would have to be removed? Sweets audibly gasped.
“You mean… Remove the limb?”
Oh, that must be horrible, she couldn’t imagine losing a leg or an eye to such a thing as an infection.
“Oh, that must be so painful…”
She couldn’t imagine amputation being all that pretty. And how do they stop the bleeding? Sweets wasn’t daft, injuries bled – and terribly much sometimes, as proven by that head injury that little girl once sustained. The removal of a whole leg, for example, must bleed horribly then… She ought to ask him that later, considering the feline was moving on with his explanation already.

Speaking of the little girl, his next words described precisely how she’d treated that head injury back then, before she had any knowledge. It was quite pleasing to hear her reflexes had been correct, although attaching the moss to her head with cobwebs remained questionable considering Nathaniel mentioned nothing of the sort. Anyway, wounds could be cleaned with water and wet moss – or more unsanitary – with one’s cleaned mouth. Emphasis on clean. Very, very clean.

But back of the dirty wounds, or soon-to-be infected ones, as they imagined. Hm, it sounded like Nathaniel was quite the burdock lover; that other cat had told her of a different herb for healing or preventing infections – marigold it was called – but it sounded like burdock was quite a bit stronger and more effective. Well, he had said this is the strongest herb against infection, suppose that checks out then. She ought to remember that, for those presented cases of older, dirtier, deeper, poorly cared for and animal-inflicted wounds. Which was pretty much all of them in this life, but those were just details. She nodded along, taking in the information.

Oh, not on every wound? Why, Sweets was about to do just that, and now they’re being told she can’t! They tilted their head curiously, glancing towards the herb then Nathaniel. So eyes, ears, muzzle, and belly (why the hesitance?) are off-limits. Unless desperate times call for desperate deeds. She supposed in that case perhaps the marigold flower could be used? But alas, she couldn’t ask that outright – after all, why would she be seeking his aid if she already knew a way to prevent infection? Either way, that little tidbit, that little comment; burdock roots potentially impairing vision..? Hm hm hm.

Oh! This was her time, she could ask questions now! Offering the healer an appreciative smile, she glanced up a moment in faux thought. Really, Sweets already had a few questions, but it wouldn’t hurt to play thinking.
“You mentioned, ah- the removal of… Appendages? I imagine that could, well… Bleed. A lot. What do you do, then? Is there a way to, perhaps, prevent that, or.. deal with it? And, ah, something to help stop bleeding… In general? Oh, and... I imagine... wounds ought to be kept clean after, well, treatment. Is there a way to help with that, for the clumsier sort..? And ah..., if Burdock.. root. Burdock root. Is too harsh for sensitive areas… Is there anything else that can be used? S-sorry… Your explanations have been wonderfully thorough, I just… Just wonder.”
She offered a shy smile, hoping he wouldn’t mind her questions.

[ @Rani ]

Last edited by Estelle; October 29th, 2023 at 09:16 AM.
Old October 31st, 2023, 11:53 PM
Queen of Pinnepeds

Status: Neck deep in wild animals at work and reports at Uni!
Bump Policy: 5-7 days before bumping please, Ive got work lol
My Mood: Sleepy

It..... It was kind of funny. Nathaniel had so despised the idea of having a protege in the clans that even as he was more open to having one now he didnt think he'd enjoy it so much.

In a way this made sense. As Snakepaw he'd been thrust into the role and hadnt wanted it, been trapped in this new duty he'd hated. By the time the tom had been even allowed to become the warrior he wanted to be he'd been left behind by his peers. He was an adult with no skills outside of healing. Sure he could hunt (kinda, mostly basic hunting and poorly at that) and swim but that was nothing. The toms only use to the clan was to heal, and the thought shredded him as much as the dissatisfaction in his role did. He wanted out but the cats who wanted in he despised for getting their way while he didnt, its why he hated Reedpaw when she tried and refused so many student who wanted to be his protege. How dare they get what they wanted when he didnt?

Yeah, not the healthiest thought process in the world, Nathaniel knew this now. He worked and was still working on it.

Now though things were different. He healed because he wanted to do better for the world, he wanted to help with a rare skill he had. Training was part of that, easier swallowed, and now enjoyed. Nathaniel could spread good things through other cats as they went out and healed and helped cats, Sweets as well was a rather nice cat to teach.

Attentive kind and smart, just how Nathaniel liked!

Sweets horror at the idea of amputation earned a chuckle even as a shudder raced down his spine and off his tail as he remembered his own encounters with the act. Yeah it wasnt pretty and was, luckily, a very rare thing. But the questions he was sure she'd ask would come soon enough.

Which they did. Good questions at that!

The somali's tail flicked pleased as he worked his way through the answers. "Bleeding is definitely an issue and while theres no way to stop this completely theres small things to make things easier." The tom inhaled and his eyes went distant as he thought "Well first knowing your not going to stop it all is important, you should take steps to make sure your patient is strong enough to survive it. Often limbs that need removing can wait a little, let the cat rest a bit eat and drink and give them herbs to keep them strong before you begin." He'd let Lotusheart sit with an eye he knew needed going before removing it to make sure she had time to recoup a bit after the battle. "Then.... well theres no herb to stop bleeding (stars I wish) but you can elevate the limb or part on like a rock or moss pile and even place like a rock or have another cat put weight above where you want to remove and it slows bleeding. Mainly however you want to cut fast and put pressure on it. Moss or cobwebs stanch bleeding well so have a helper press hard on the wound with those for a long time and keep that on there for a week and a half."

No matter what you did an amputation would be a nightmare though so tough and good luck.

"Listen amputations are hard, really hard, even for me and I generally wouldnt like to do one without a helper. They have a ton of steps Ive not explained right now so Sweets dont attempt until you are fully confident. Big amputations tend to end in death even to experienced healers so well work on the easy stuff first and lead up to it."
The worst thing the new student could do was think she understood such a big surgery and kill a cat trying it, Nathaniel hadnt even explained shock yet.

"But as for your addition about keeping the wound clean after cobwebs are your best friend. Theyre clean and stick on herbs applied while protecting the injury. And as shown by the amputation example can even stop bleeding in a way. A must have herb for any healer really."

The tom used to let spiders spin webs in corners of the medicine cats den way back when to almost farm them, they were worth having the creepy bugs around.

Snapping back from where he was lost in thought the tom smiled again, flashing long canines. "Dont apologize these are all amazing questions when there is in fact a more gentle staple herb." One he'd have preferred to get to be honest but he had need for burdock. "Its called marigold and it is a flower. Yellow/orange ruffled petals growing in a bunch and smells bitter and leafy but kind of like green apples? Well any part chewed and applied to a wound does the same as burdock except weaker and lacking the numbing thing....." A major plus in the eyes and mouth of the one who had to chew it.

Cresting the hill the tom saw the edge of the suburbs he lived in and the park that housed his healing den with a satisfied tail flick.

"Ah, almost here. When we arrive you can stay the night before making it back to your brother with some of that marigold and cobwebs for his injuries. Then you can come back whenever you like a lesson or just to hang around. Sound alright?"

@Estelle
Old November 5th, 2023, 06:46 PM
Still staring nervously

Bump Policy: Currently after 4 days!
My Mood: Dreaming

Ah, they did love it when their questions were answered. Ears flicking they turned their gaze the healer’s way, attentively listening. So, the bleeding from amputated limbs couldn’t be stopped completely? Shame she couldn’t just command them to hold it in, she did hate making a mess. Alas, that’s not how blood worked. But alright, alright, instead of cutting right away the patient needed rest – another thing she wasn’t keen on, waiting. But she supposed that to be best for their survival… If she cared enough about that. Ah, so the bleeding could be slowed by elevating the limb or putting a weight above the part that’s being cut… As in, strangle the blood or create an upward waterfall. She supposed that made sense and imagined a combination of both techniques to be the most effective. Moss and cobwebs, she’d used that before! With that child, hm. And keep it on for… Counting… Ten sunrises approximatively? Probably yes. Well regardless, it all sounded terribly finicky and messy. Still, she grimaced a little but forced a smile as thank you for the explanation.
“Alright… I’ll keep that in mind.”
She mew at his words, giving a firm nod. Truthfully though, how hard could it be? You cut the limb (somehow) and stop the mess of bleeding… And if the patient dies (stars forbid) they won’t be able to yell at you either way. But for now, she’ll be obedient and comply… For now.

“Just cobwebs?”
A little surprised, the feline blurted out those words, quickly bringing a paw to their maw in embarrassment. Well, it sounded like cobwebs helped stop bleeding and keep wounds clean on their own… There was no need for her to have wasted good moss on that child, then. But too late to change that now. Cobwebs only sounded so much simpler anyway, she quite preferred the sound of it. They were easy to find, too, somehow always ending up on her face. Oh, he was smiling! Reassured, she returned the smile, dropping her paw for ease of walking. And, oh, quite surprisingly but also unsurprisingly, he mentioned marigold. So her theory had been right! So marigold didn’t numb, but it was chewed and applied to the wound to treat and stop infections, just as that other cat had told them… Just weaker than Burdock. Sweets nodded, taking note of this.

Oh, in the distance some homes came into view, and Sweets almost couldn’t stop the look of disdain on her face. Her family – uncles and grandparents, mostly – lived in such homes. The one thing she could agree on with her mother is that they were quite… Horrid. But even so, she couldn’t let such sentiment blow he cover, now could she? Pulling a smile, Sweets gave a nod, reluctantly agreeing to follow the feline home and – oh dear – stay the night.
“Yes. Thank you… So much.”
She mew again, softly nodding along.

[ @Rani ]

Old November 20th, 2023, 01:24 PM
Queen of Pinnepeds

Status: Neck deep in wild animals at work and reports at Uni!
Bump Policy: 5-7 days before bumping please, Ive got work lol
My Mood: Sleepy

Idly Nathaniel wondered what Rhiannon would think of Sweets. It was a strange fleeting thought, there wasnt any reason the two wouldnt meet at some point and he'd no doubt they'd get along well but the healer knew full well his wife was.... Selective. She was odd in that way and he approved of it, being equally selective in a different way, but the molly had proved time and time again that the cats she got along with and liked were different groups. It was an odd dichotomy, but not a bad one. Rhiannon got along with most everyone, being kind and amicable as she was, but that hardly meant she enjoyed the company at all times and often found herself simply tolerating it for the sake of keeping the peace before not repeating the conversation.

Sweets was kind though, polite, smart too so Nathaniel was pretty sure the two would get along. They wouldnt meet today, Rhiannon was on one of her walks to poke at the clans (a foolish hobby in the toms mind but how they met so his complaints were null) and wouldnt be back until after Sweets was gone but later.... Later the two would probably meet and if the healer had anything to say about it make a new friend.

The exclamation about cobwebs got a pause and the Nathaniel hesitated before admitting "Well..... Just cobwebs that Im sure of. Ive been occasionally experimenting with other things while I have the time. So cobwebs that Im confident in teaching right now but if you return later maybe I'll have more. Healing and herbs doesnt seem to be a process you stop learning about, even for me."

Now Nathaniel did actually catch the disgust at his place of living and internally he chuckled and did not judge. He was in the same camp as the molly in years past and there were downsides but hopefully the park was more her speed. So with grace Sweets was guided to the park and its little stream and shown the den hidden beneath the bridge that served as his healing place. "This isnt where I live but its where I heal, feel free to turn up whenever and I should be there quickly, I visit about once a day and live quite close. The herb store is back here and I clean out the nests frequently so theyre clean to sleep on." The burdock was placed in and a marigold flower and two cobwebs were taken out. "For you and your brother. This is the marigold I talked about before and some cobwebs to cover any injuries he mightve acquired while youre gone." Gold to most cats these herbs were but common as weeds for a healer really. There wasnt a lot of skin off of Nathaniels neck to pass it over really and while he spent some time settling Sweets in soon the sun started to set and he had to head home. "If you wish to stick around in the morning Ill see if I can find a mouse for us to share but if you want to set out early I wont be insulted to find you gone when I arrive, Im sure you must be anxious to go back. Ill be seeing you later, I am sure."

And so he would, though in hindsight perhaps he shouldve wished he didnt.

(Wrapping this up here, whenever youre keen just prompt me and we can start up another visit/lesson on whatever youre keen on! Im leaving this one on your schedule lol but Im happy to starter it if you want~) also 1 marigold 2 cobwebs transferred between cats, use as you will. @Estelle