Old Today, 09:18 PM
fly

Bump Policy: 2 days minimum
My Mood: Devilish

Default Re: ThunderClan Medicine Cat's Den

Hollowpaw
~<>~
28/200
4 moons || he/him || ThC medicine cat apprentice || Silk Spinner, Dream Walker, HkT1
brown, masked classic tabby w/ low white; titanite eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post

- Wolfpaw -
- He/Him - 6 Moons - ThunderClan Medicine Cat -
- A large dark brown tabby tom with green eyes and a missing hind leg -

[Seakit Healing]
Wolfpaw flicked an ear at Seakit's words, and then Wolfhive arrived. Oh, so they knew what happened, perfect. "A hawk? These birds needa be delt with," he muttered as Seakit explained from her perspective. "Alright then," he murmured, glancing at Seakit's leg. "Might be sprained or broken, can't think of any other reason for it. Can't tell if it is, however. So uh... Can either of you tell me if it is? And we'll figure it out from there," he said, glancing to Orangeblossom and Wolfhound.

[ @Oliver @BEAR. @Neptune. - NO NO STONE BEAR NO ]

[Thorn + Fleck Healing]
Poppy seeds, eh? Wolfpaw took a close look at the seeds Wolfhive took from the herb storage. Painkillers, got it. Those were definitely going to be needed for a lot of healing, so the apprentice took a mental note of that.

It was nice to have someone else take a bit of control over the situation, after all, Wolfpaw still knows nothing. So, he let Hollowpaw take the reins. "I think that's perfect, if ya ask me. Don't see anything wrong with that," he said, nodding in approval to what Hollowpaw said, green eyes glowing. "As for you two," he said, turning to Fleckpaw and Thornkit. "Don't do anything mouse-brained again. You could have saved us the trouble of ever having this interaction if you did what you were supposed to and stay in camp.

[ @Alderheart2763 @bigbxdwolfz @/BEAR. @/Neptune. ]

[Bumblestar + Hollowpaw Interaction]
The tripod Medicine cat twitched his tail as Bumblestar started explaining. An omen? Well that... was not the answer Wolfpaw hoped for. So someone wanted him and Hollowpaw as the medicine cats. Does not help his case of "Why the tripod who is a baby and knows nothing shouldn't become the medicine cat." Really StarClan!? And also, did Bumblestar have bees in her brain? Making TWO apprentices Medicine Cats just to 'give younger cats more chances?' They were fresh outta the nursery! He wanted to scream. Scream how stupid this was, and that he should just be a normal warrior, that none of this should be happening, But...

Something in him held back.

He didn't know what, but something held him back. ThunderClan needed Medicine Cats, and despite how Wolfpaw knows he isn't the best choice... Some part of him wanted this. To be useful in a way. After what felt like an eternity, the tabby took a deep breath and spoke. "...Not what I had in mind when I thought of my future. Thought I was gonna be a great warrior, Like Flamesurge," he let out a slight hiss as he said his brother's name. "But, I'm willing to give this a shot. I accept."

The gathering! Wolfpaw turned his head to face Hollowpaw as he spoke of the gathering. "Right, the gathering. What the hell am I supposed to tell the other clans? That you chose a kid as our sole medicine cat? Or something else?" he chirped, glancing back to his leader.

[ @/Neptune. @dino. @Starfall ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom Cry View Post
Seakit whimpered. " I hope it isn't broken" She whispered. She looked at the others, hoping to get an answer. @Bean @Oliver @Neptune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR. View Post
"She's very composed for someone who's hurting so badly." Wolfhive let out a little hum as he peeked into the herb storage. He was looking for juniper berries in particular, but saw none. "It's possible the injury put her in shock... or her adrenaline's still so high it's not fully registered. Here," Wolfhive plucked a poppy seed from the storage and set it in front of Seakit. "Eat this, it'll take the edge of the pain. Also will ease some of the shock if she's experiencing that. I'd give her a juniper berry for it but doesn't look like we have any right now."

Wolfhive could probably determine if it felt broken or not, but as for treating it he wasn't actually sure. He wracked his memory for a moment in an effort to awaken any lost fragment of knowledge... to no avail. "You know?" He prompted Orangeblossom. "I can amputate if need be, but if her leg is something we can save that's probably the better option."

[ -1 poppy seed ]
[ @Oliver @Bean @Neptune. @Blossom Cry idt i missed anything but sorry if i did ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post

Orangeblossom
| He/him | TC warrior | Moons: 21 | No purrks |

Orangeblossom pushed the comments in his direction away, he didn't want to think about Wolfpaw and Hollowpaw replacing Springlight, let alone thinking about he himself replacing her. That hurt too much, it made him want to cry again. Even now he could feel the stinging in his nose and the burning in the corner of his eyes but he needed to ignore all that right now and focus on helping this kit not get their leg chomped off... though Wolfhive was getting awfully good at that lately wasn't he? The ginger warrior amused himself with the brief thought before running through everything he was taught by Springlight.

"I don't know anything about being able to set or realign any broken bones but I know some stuff about the after treatment. Binding the wound to keep it still and all of that... uhhhh..." He paused as he watched the kits leg for a moment, the kit was already given all the Poppy seeds that they could possibly give so Orangeblossom wouldn't need to worry about explaining that so he quickly moved onto the next things he knew that related. "If I remember correctly, both elder leaves and comfrey leaves can be used to wrap the wound after you set it... Maybe.. Maybe we could compare how one of our legs feel and then check Seakit's.. and then try and match it?" Orangeblossom frowned, he wasn't made to be a medicine cat. He was only supposed to help collect herbs, that's the only reason why he wanted to learn them.

"Comfrey are uhh tall, droopy, purple flowers.. though for this we only want the leaves. There may be some, but if not elder leaves are umm bushes with lots of white flowers, the leaves are broad. Though we'd need to be more careful, elder leaves are toxic if eaten." He paused, looking up to the group of cats hoping that he helped at least a little bit. After all, all he really wanted to do was try and find any remnants of his friend before crying in the warriors den again, but then a kit had gotten hurt and then he was side tracked.
[ @BEAR. - Wolfhive | @Blossom Cry - Seakit | @Neptune. - Hollowpaw | @Bean - Wolfpaw ]

"I thought amputation was mainly for crushed legs," Hollowpaw murmurs... why was there so much talk of amputation lately?? Still, if the leg was broken (which, it didn't look sprained like Thornkit's leg did, and it was a lot more swollen... all puffed up and stuff, so it was probably broken. Probably.) it seemed Orangeblossom only had the information needed to deal with the after care of realigning it. How to do that... it seemed no one here knew.

Well, Hollowpaw wasn't a squeamish cat, he wouldn't do well in this position if he was, so he approaches the kit and sniffs around her damaged leg, saying quietly as he does to her "no, you can eat the mouse, you'll probably need your strength and I can just go make one of the warriors get me another one. I'm gonna poke at your leg now." Using his forepaws, Hollow feels around Seakit's injured leg... it definitely feels weird, but it's hard to tell through the swelling. There doesn't seem to be a clean point where the bone had snapped, though, so Hollowpaw can only guess that it was partially fractured. If that was even a thing, he had no idea - could a bone be only partially broken????

"I think it's broken?" He says, head tilted to the side. "Wolfpaw... might need a second opinion. But, if it is broken, we should prepare what we need for after fixin' it. Y'said comfrey leaves for binding?" He already knew that, but repeating it anyway makes sense in the moment so whatever. Hollow glances to Orangeblossom, filing the information the warrior shared away in his brain - and what Wolfhive had said too. Elder leaves and comfrey leaves could be used for binding broken bones... juniper berries for treating shock. Comfrey are tall and droopy purple flowers, elder are bushes with lots of white flowers, but the leaves are toxic so don't eat them (good to know...), and juniper - well, Wolfhive didn't explain what that one looked like. "Don't think we have comfrey or elder leaves, but we've got sticks if we have to keep her leg straight with somethin'. I'll get a couple." That said, he goes and grabs a couple of the sticks (they're gonna need more sticks... Hollowpaw adds that to the growing list of things to send patrols out for) in storage and brings them back over, waiting to hear Wolfpaw's verdict or the verdict of the others.

[ @/Bean - little wolf || @/BEAR. - big wolf || @/Oliver - orange || @/Blossom Cry - sea ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino. View Post

Bumblestar arched both eyebrows at Hollowpaw. "Quite frankly, I don't usually give a damn about what StarClan says. You make your choices based on what you want, not what they say." That went for Wolfpaw, too.

About the Gathering, both asked good questions. "Hollowpaw, you're of course allowed at Gatherings. Maybe not by the medicine cats, but you're still welcome to mingle with your Clanmates or the other Clans if you want to. Wolfpaw, you can tell the other healers that it was StarClan's choosing. It's what they and ThunderClan believed about Drizzlecloud 'n Springlight, 'n it's been a running reason for the other Clans for moons; there shouldn't be any new problems with that narrative.

"I want you two to focus on learning what you can regarding healing, but that doesn't mean you should be slacking on your battle training."
Bumblestar gave Wolfpaw a pointed look. "I want you to continue your training with Mudhound. Hollowpaw, feel free to make anyone you want give you lessons. Just because we've got a secret weapon isn't an excuse to be unprepared in case of an attack. Don't let yourselves get cooped up in here all day, either. Get out when you can."

That was about what Hollowpaw had expected to hear, but it was still a little odd. Bumblestar not putting much stock in StarClan's wishes was... somewhat jarring. He'd thought most cats believed whole heartedly in their ancestor's brilliance... that's what his mother told him, anyway. But this new perspective was... interesting. Refreshing to hear. It made him think about his own thoughts, and it made curious why Bumblestar had choses to listen to them now if she normally didn't much care for what they had to say.

"Okay," he nods, and that's that. There's nothing more to really say, he has no urgent questions, and if something comes up, then he'll just invade her den. No big deal.

[ @/dino. - bumble ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani View Post

Mudhound
Thunderclan Hornet | They/them | 35 Moons
Bilingual T3 | Flock Together T3 | Rapid Recovery | Killer Aptitude T3

Mudhound was still a bit miffed about the whole situation by the time they made it back to camp, Alpinepaw still gently draped over their back. Coyotes were really the tip of the pile of predators harassing thunderclan at the moment and trying to deal with all of them before something dire happened was starting to wear on the hornets. Plus it wasnt all that effective, just not enough cats to be everywhere all the time and this was the result.

Alpinepaw was hurt to some degree and Appleleap and Fleckpaw were dead and Duskecho was rightfully exiled for not telling the patrol to run or hide or get out of the way in a way that'd save them. Honestly Mudhound didnt really know how hurt Alpinepaw was really, it was kinda hard to tell in all the chaos but she had fell from a tree so better safe then sorry.
"Wolfpaw? Hollowpaw? Got a patient for you, there was a coyote attack and several deaths but Alpinepaw here is alive though I dont know what state she's in just that she's unconscious after falling from the tree she was hiding in.

I dunno if you can help her but uh maybe some burnet to boost her strength? Yanno that soft green leaf with ridged edges like blackberry leaves but lighter and has those dark pink puffy flowers, some might be leftover from Springlights store maybe."
Beyond that the tripod wouldnt think of anything to help the still inexperienced healers in this....

@Neptune. @Bean @Highsnow of Matterhorn (A patient and some herb knowledge for u~)

A coyote attack? Literally what in the world even was a coyote. It sounded like a predator from what Mudhound described - the deaths and blood on him and all that - but, like... that still wasn't saying much. Anyway, Alpinepaw.

"Put her down on a nest," Hollowpaw says, noting the herb the hornet described. Burnet... soft green leaves with ridged edges like blackberry leaves (yeah, because he totally knew what those looked like too, sure, why not, let's just assume the child who was in the nursery less than a moon ago knows what these things look like. Okay. Yeah. Maybe Wolfpaw knew...), but a lighter green and with puffy dark pink flowers... used for giving strength.

That in mind, Hollowpaw goes back to the storage to look but comes up empty. No burnet. Drats. Anyway...

"We don't have burnet, but if you wanna get a small patrol to get some that's fine by me. Wolfpaw 'n I should be okay for the moment." Well, they'd probably be okay. He couldn't promise anything.

[ @/Rani - muddy || @/Bean - little wolf || @Highsnow of Matterhorn - alpine ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR. View Post
[ timelinewise, this is post-the MC announcement meeting but before most of the threats were known to TC. doing this for @taillow so when they're back, they don't have to worry about this and redhawk has a reason to not be involved w the predator fighting ]
[ @Bean & @Neptune. responding is optional since wolfhive is handling this case ; but! if you want your lads to know how to amputate n what juniper berries look like ]

It started with a quiet confidence.

An expression of doubt and uncertainty, frustration at a lack of mobility. Withered flesh clung uselessly against her body, a weight holding her down and keeping her from prospering. It ate at her and he knew it, and his heart could not handle her pain.

So he made an offer. He was honest - he always tried to be, this was not going to be easy. It would... hurt, a lot, and he was unsure how well poppy seeds would mask her pain. There was also a chance of not making it, of her body succumbing to blood-loss or infection - there was always that risk, really - but moreso as he wasn't Springlight, trained in the art of medicine.

And she agreed. She agreed out of desperation, for the chance to feel whole once more. Amputations were no easy process and doubly so when the bone had been partially mended. He would need to rebreak it.

"I won't always be around to do this, 'n Wolfpaw's already somewhat familiar with the process. Amputation is a last resort thing - if we can fix it, we want to try that before we carve it off them completely. Broken bones can heal, flesh can mend, but sometimes it just.. doesn't work out. And when it doesn't work out, it can cause more damage to the cat than just removing it.

"But this is the last resort 'cause there's no going back, and it's very easy to do wrong. If blood-loss doesn't kill them, infection might later on. These wounds require some observation, checking in on it daily to make sure the process is going well."

After taking a few poppy seeds and juniper berries from the herb storage and ensuring she ate them, Wolfhive went to work. "The berries are juniper.. they're better at shock than poppy seeds are." The first thing he did was position her leg beneath his rock. "Her leg was broken 'n enough time's passed for it to have healed somewhat, but her leg's dead, so all the bone is doing is keeping me from removing it. The rock's weight'll crush it and let me cut through the rest." He had rolled one into a position where when he pushed it, it'd plop down on her leg. He had to be careful - picking a rock he could move as-needed, but not going too small where he'd just hurt her for no reason. Just seemed simpler and more efficient than trying to bash her to pieces with a smaller rock.. "I'm.." For once during this entire process, Wolfhive felt nervous. He didn't relish in the idea of hurting his friend but not only was this what she wanted, but it might have some practicality in her adapting better. "Sorry, this will probably hurt." Then he pushed it, and the rock landed on her leg with a crunch.

Wolfhive managed to remove the rock with some effort, rolling it aside before he continued on his grim task. The poppy seeds would make it not unbearable, and he could only hope that was enough. "Now we gotta stop her circulation, if we don't do this before we cut she'll just bleed out." Using a combination of moss and cobwebs he'd collected from the herb storage, he set to tighten off the circulation of Redhawk's leg. These would come in handy latter too for stopping the bleeding entirely, but once the tourniquet was done and he waited for it to constrict her bloodflow... "Give it a minute to slow."

Then.. he bit down, tearing away her flesh and bone fragments until he broke through the last of her skin. Once the leg was free, he discarded the dismembered limb and focused on stopping the bleeding. "Bleeding isn't as bad as it could be, we just need to make sure it stops." He used the cobwebs that hadn't gone to the tourniquet to press down against the new stub, showing them the yellow flowers of marigold before chewing them so he could apply it to the wound shortly after. "This stuff's marigold, it's for infection. It'll keep it off her for a couple days but you'll want to change it out then." Once all that was done, he did a final wrap in cobwebs - her stump looked kind of silly with how wound in cobweb bandage it was, but he hoped it'd do the job.

Now all they could do was wait 'n see how things went. Basilkit survived, so he hoped Redhawk would to. If he killed one of his Hornets trying to amputate them he wasn't entirely sure what his 'ma would do! "'N that's about it, just need to keep an eye on her." He was glad she seemed to be asleep, the poppy seeds were at least good for that.

[ -2 juniper berries, -2 poppy seeds, -5 cobwebs, -3 moss, -3 marigold ]

So, he was finally shown when amputation was necessary. All the times Wolfhive brought it up in the past (of which there were only two, but that still felt like a lot), Hollowpaw realized he'd been being a little dramatic. Maybe it would eventually come to that for some if things went wrong, but for Redhawk... the hornet was already there.

It wasn't a pretty task, but Hollowpaw watched anyway. Poppy seeds and juniper berries (that he now knew the appearance of) for pain and for shock... tie off the limb that needs amputating to slow the blood flow and prevent the cat from bleeding out (after re-breaking the bone if it was necessary)...and then you do the gruesome work of chewing through flesh and muscle and bone. Once again, Hollowpaw is relieved that he isn't very squeamish. Use cobwebs and moss to staunch the bleeding... and a marigold (that golden flower with the frilly petals) paste for staving off infection. Keep an eye on the wound. Replace the marigold in a day or two.

"We'll keep an eye on her," Hollowpaw says, gaze a little dark and glancing to the discarded leg. He's not squeamish, no, but still, seeing a disembodied leg for the first time might make anyone a little sick.

[ @/BEAR. - big wolf || @taillow - red || @/Bean - little wolf ]

HOLLOWPAW is ThunderClan's current medicine cat apprentice
medicine den || healing requests