by BEAR.
Last post by HerbalTea
Today 03:04 PM

Old July 29th, 2024, 02:38 AM
revenge is a fools game

Bump Policy: every 3 days :3
My Mood: Yeehaw

Default Re: Darkwater Mire

sometimes rookfire wondered if he would ever get bored of the repetitive nature of patrolling alone (or in this case with a quiet partner that might as well just be there to carry more), but he didnt think that the equal reward of time well spent and help for the clan would ever mean any less. todays destination wasnt the prettiest in shadowclan territory but definitely not boring either. darkwater mire had a certain charm, with its foggy marsh and tall sturdy grass and dark vibe. even if rookfire wasnt really a fan of the snakes or frogs that could be found between pines and thick moss. obviously on another herb run, the enforcer had not expected to return with any prey but coming across a rabbit stuck in the thick soil was not a opportunity he would pass on. a silent glance to roachflare and the two warriors circled the struggling animal, having already picked up their scents and attempting to escape now. it would be smartest to stay on soil that wouldnt become their watery grave at any moment, but rookfire had little intention of waiting until the rabbit had tired itself entirely "hide". in the end, driving the rabbit out of its slippery destiny had taken far longer than expected, but roachflare proved himself worthy by catching the animal as soon as it set paw on land. the brief scuffle that followed was another thing rook would have to rank high on his 'never do this' list that he was sure would drive embarassment out of him..returning to camp mud soaked was bad enough.
[+1 rabbit]

"i wish things were different, but it werent us who changed."

━━━━━━━━
ROOKFIRE

Old July 30th, 2024, 01:38 PM

Bump Policy: I'm not sure yet.
My Mood: Inspired

~ UNNAMED [YEWKIT], ROGUE ~

AFAB | SHE/HER | KIT | 1 MOON

Massive, long-furred, striking scarlet she-kit with deep, rich colorpoints that fade at the edges and round, fiery amber eyes.

Though the sun filtered through broken clouds, the forest was dark. Mist wreathed around the spruce and pines, choking the expanse with foggy perspiration. Bushes lay thick on the wet earth. Bright splashes of color shone on their diluted green leaves, pushing a sweet scent into the reeking air. An insect skittered across a bed of moss. A slimy green frog hopped from one clump of marsh grass to another. An earthworm slithered into the soil as easily as a paw into a snowdrift.

Heavy pawsteps and laborious grunts came from deep in a grove of spruce trees. Flashes of bright fur shone in the shadows. Then a tomcat emerged.

"Cheeto! Come on!" he called over his shoulder.

Several moments later, a she-cat emerged.

Both felines were a sorry sight. Their pelts were matted, sticking in all directions and splattered with mud. They stared at the bog ahead of them with dull eyes. Ridges were carved into the sides of their bodies, marking their ribs. Harsh pants rose from their muzzles.

The tom looked like he might've been majestic once. He was absolutely massive, a broad chest and shoulders contrasting greatly with his tapered stomach. Muscles bulged, signifying his persevering strength. His long, thick pelt would've flowed had it been thoroughly groomed, and his bright golden fur shone despite the mud that covered it. Faint colorpoints were visible, and his green eyes were filled with determination.

The she-cat, on the other paw, looked frail. She was small and startingly thin, her round head and paws a faint sign of someone who was once well-fed. Her fur was also long, though hopelessly tangled. She was a plain shade of ginger, marked by mackerel tabby stripes. Only her round amber eyes were notable. They were dim, but the color glowed through the mist. A tattered purple collar hugged her neck.

"This isn't where we're supposed to be!" Cheeto wailed. Her voice was fleeting and thin like a songbird's final breath. "Look at this! We'll never make it through!"

The tom pressed his muzzle to her forehead. He had to stoop low to do so. "We'll be okay, honey. I promise."

As the two cats spoke, the unnamed she-kit tottered across the mossy earth. She couldn't have been more than one moon old, yet she was massive and sturdy, even though it was clear that she, too, hadn't had enough to eat. Her pelt was matted and soaked in mud, yet it could be seen that it was a striking shade of scarlet. She had colorpoints that started a rich, deep shade before melting into her coat. Round amber eyes gleamed.

Exhaustion dragged at her like a hungry tongue. The she-kit felt like she was being pulled into the ground. Her head swam, her entire body hurt, and the sharp pangs in her stomach wouldn't stop. Each breath felt like someone had bitten her in the throat. She wanted to stop and rest more than anything in the world. However, she couldn't. She'd resigned herself to that. She just had to keep following Mama Cheeto and Papa Lion.

Cheeto turned around, each movement painfully slow, to make sure the kit was still there. A faint smile tugged at the corners of her lips, but it didn't breach her dull eyes. "You're doing well, little one," she purred. "You're a strong she-kit. Never forget it."

Lion nodded and leaned down to give his daughter an affectionate lick.

The she-kit beamed. She loved it when Mama Cheeto and Papa Lion called her strong! She was the strongest ever, she knew. Why else would they say it to her all the time?

Cheeto turned to Lion, ears flat, pain fighting against the exhaustion on her face. "We can't keep going like this. We're so weak. And our poor daughter... We haven't even had the chance to name her!" Her voice broke. "And the others... if only I'd stayed with my Twolegs..."

Lion shook his head, his eyes flashing, his tone stern. "They would've taken our kits away. Living wild is the best life we can give our little one."

The she-kit listened quietly. She didn't understand what most of what they were saying meant. Mama mentioned "Twolegs" a lot. As for her siblings, she only had vague memories. They used to surround her, all warm bodies and fluffy fur. Then they'd gradually disappeared. She didn't know what had happened, but it didn't matter. She just had to keep following Mama and Papa to wherever they were taking her.

Cheeto's eyes shone with fresh tears. "Is living wild better than being dead?"

"Look." Lion nodded toward the bushes. "There are some berries there! We can eat those, then we'll be strong enough to catch real prey." His nose twitched. "I scent some around here."

Food! The she-kit knew what that meant! She struggled over to her parents. "Hun-gee!" she mewed, pawing at her mother's stomach.

"I have no milk, love. But I will once I've eaten." Cheeto glanced at Lion uncertainly. "Are you sure we can eat the berries?"

"Oh, yes. My mother used to give some to me," Lion meowed. "Let's go." He stepped forward. His front paw sank into the soil with a squelching noise.

Cheeto's eyes widened, and her fur bristled. "Don't go in there, Lion! It's dangerous!"

"It's just some mud. We'll be fine," he assured her. He kept going, and Cheeto, with a sigh, followed.

The unnamed she-kit bounded forward, buoyed by a new spurt of energy. She was gonna get to eat!

Suddenly, she felt herself sinking. She glanced down and found the mud eating her alive! She gasped in shock and tried to pull away, but that only made her sink deeper. She squealed. "Hep!"

Strong jaws sank into her scruff, and Cheeto hauled her out. The ginger tabby was clearly terrified, but she couldn't speak while holding her daughter and continued slogging through the mud. It was deep, its relentless tongues spreading brown all over her body. A horrible squelching noise filled the air.

"It's drier over here!" Lion called, hoisting himself up onto a dry patch. Cheeto followed him, movements sluggish, before collapsing on the ground. Her jaws opened, and the she-kit came tumbling out. Her tail twitched. That was fun!

Cheeto stared at him. She looked like nothing more than a hollow shell, eyes sunken, ribs even more pronounced than before as her muddy pelt clung to her sides.

"Come on! There's plenty we can eat!" Lion purred, nodding toward the bush. The she-kit looked at it, and excitement made her paws tingle. Ooh! Shiny! The berries were bright red like her, and the sight of them made her mouth water.

Slowly, Cheeto hoisted herself to her paws. The she-kit watched impatiently. She wanted food now! However, she had to wait for Mama Cheeto to eat so she got her milk. Then when everyone had eaten, they'd be happier, and then she'd get to try that mouse her parents had always promised to give her!

Lion, smiling triumphantly, leaned forward and took a huge mouthful of the berries. Cheeto copied him. Her eyes widened slightly as she chewed, red juice dripping down her chin. "Mmm! These are g-"

Her eyes grew huge, and she fell to the ground. The she-kit watched uncomprehendingly as she began to convulse. Huh. That was weird. Maybe she'd swallowed a berry funny? The she-kit smiled at the memory. She remembered when she'd swallowed milk wrong. She'd spent so long coughing! Silly Mama Cheeto!

Lion swallowed and glanced at his mate. "Cheeto?" Concern scrawled across his face as he leaned down to give her a nudge. She'd stopped convulsing now and lay twitching on the ground.

Suddenly, he emitted a choking sound. White foam spewed from his lips as he, too, fell to the ground. His limbs jerked erratically. Cheeto fell still, and several moments later, so did he.

The she-kit blinked at them. Had they both swallowed funny? Silly Mama Cheeto and Papa Lion! She giggled and nudged them. Now that Mama had eaten, she could have her milk! But, when she tried to get some, nothing happened. Why? Oh! Mama Cheeto was sleeping, that's why! Both of them were sleeping!

Usually, they didn't sleep during the day, but she wasn't going to complain. She loved resting! But she was really hungry, and Mama Cheeto had promised milk. Mama and Papa promised a lot of things that didn't happen, but they were usually right about the milk.

The she-kit turned toward those juicy-looking berries. They were yummy! So yummy that Mama Cheeto and Papa Lion had rested! They looked softer than the mice her parents ate, too. She leaned forward. Surely she could snag one...

@Luminous [Adderpaw] @alec [Rookfire]

Character Creator!

How Would You Describe My Writing Style?

New and Improved Character Bios!
Old July 31st, 2024, 11:42 AM
revenge is a fools game

rookfire wondered what he had done to find himself on a territory tour with not only the new apprentice, (adderpaw their name was, rook had actually listened at the meeting) but also mistlewhisker but he was certainly not complaining about the company. even if simple territory patrols were not his favourite activity, and not even close to his favourite kind of training, he was happy to at least earn a bit more extra points towards staying in this position even through injury.
somehow settled into the position of semi leading the group, muzzle perhaps half a length in front of mistlewhiskers, rookfire had expected much but not to turn a corner, immediately be overwhelmed by the smell of a disturbed yew, spot two presumably dead bodies and a tiny kit about to sign their own fate. the enforcer sped up before that thought had really set in, driven by the vision of another death and the memory of the injured kit he hadnt been able to help because of fadingsun. he briefly wondered whether or not they had died before returning to the task at hand, that being slamming into the kit at full speed. there were probably other ways to keep the kit away but he had already started running by the time that was relevant in his mind. upon stopping and spinning back around he leaned down to the kit at a speed that wouldve made him dizzy at worse times. "did you eat any?!" he asked, gaze seeking for any signs of the berries before deciding that he couldnt spot any juice and they were out of risk. otherwise, it was unlikely for them to survive either way, they had no yarrow and deathberries were a sure bringer of death in the very most of cases.
now that the kit was definitely out of danger, rookfire stepped around the mystery kit to inspect the adult felines on the ground. by the kits presence he could assume they were at least in some way related or close and upon closer inspection of the foam pooling by their mouths and redish liquid to prove the origin of this tragedy. "theyre still warm"
two dead by the roots of a yew bush, what a fate. almost like the yew had come to do its job properly for once, the guard of the dead promoted to the one allowed to play god. what pity. rookfire supressed a smile, this was quite the scene, yet all he could think about was their cannibal. this was bloody perfect. they just had to keep silent about the circumstances of their dead, maybe make em bleed a bit, position properly and yap in camp. and none of them would ever have to take a life because they were already there! though, rookfire wouldnt have minded a bit of action. its been awfully long since shadowclan had teamed up with the other clans and it had been quiet since then.. "just the outsiders we've been waiting for" he muttered, steel grey eyes briefly seeking mistlewhiskers, aiming to guess how much mistlewhisker was agreeing with him here.

[hi, hello, good evening, i hate everything i wrote but here we are anyway. @TheNyanCatMinecart @Mica @Luminous ]

━━━━━━━━
ROOKFIRE

Old July 31st, 2024, 12:15 PM
catching up after camp

Bump Policy: 1 week. 3 days for urgent
My Mood: Inspired

She/her - 7 moons
Lean, brown molly with dark orange spots, lighter belly, and green eyes
Dreamwalker

This was good. Adderpaw had learned that Hawkbite, the cat assigned to be her mentor, was in fact the commander of the enforcers, meaning they would rank quite high up. Dawnstar had picked him to be her mentor and said that Adderpaw had potential, so she liked the direction in which this all was heading, and now she was on patrol with another enforcer, as well as the deputy. It wasn't like she could get to know them all that well on a mere patrol, but getting acquainted while also being shown the territory would still be good, so Adderpaw had made sure to every now and then politely ask something about a piece of territory they were passing through, just to show that she was intending on being a net good for Shadowclan.

They had now come to a place apparently called Darkwater Mire, and green hues travelled over the area to take it all in. She made note of a few kinds of prey, mainly frogs but also other species, among the tall grass, but also plenty of moss growing a bit further away. Hm, useful for fetching new bedding at least, since almost everyone in Shadowclan seemed to use it for their nests.

Adderpaw was just about to ask if these were generally considered good hunting grounds, when Rookfire bolted forward towards something ahead of them, and the apprentice's eyes narrowed as she made out two bodies lying eerily still. But not only that. No, because Rookfire was speaking to something. A kit. A large one but still a kit. Still cautious, Adderpaw followed the enforcer, elegantly tip-toeing around the bodies she giving them a good look.

They were a sorry sight, to say the least. Adderpaw herself had never gone without food long enough to become that starved, but the signs of famine were still a familiar sight in the slums. "They must have been desperate," she mumbled before zeroing in on the foam and remains of berry-flesh around the cats' mawns. "...what exactly are those berries?"

Rookfire spoke mainly to Mistelwhisker which was understandable considering Adderpaw had barely been here for a few days, but one thing that the enforcer said made the molly's eyes narrow slightly. 'Just the outsiders we've been waiting for' But waiting for... for what? It was an uncomfortably suspicious feeling when cats around you were discussing something like this that you didn't know about, but Adderpaw calmed herself with the thought that maybe this was some sort of tradition or something that simply had not been explained to her yet. Either way, she was a part of Shadowclan now, so even if they needed (dead?) outsiders for something, she should be safe.
@TheNyanCatMinecart @Mica @alec

※⁕‡→ Lumi's shop - Tracker - My purrks ←‡⁕※

¨•┈꒰ა ♡⋆⁺。˚⋆˙‧₊☽ Springkit - Wyvern - Hawkcatcher - Pigeonpaw - Saturn ☾₊‧˙⋆˚。⁺⋆ ♡ ໒꒱┈•¨
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM
revenge is a fools game

rookfire felt like he was all over the place, kind of, still mildly confused who he was missing, or rather, who shouldve shown up until now, however, as the minutes stretched between them and the majority of the cats that had been gathered in the clearing slowly filtered out of camp he decided it wasnt worththe wait. "since err" he drew out the word, searching for the apprentices name he had heard vaguely whilst the patrols were listed "-tickpaw didnt show we'll leave without them". the enforcer took the time to be grateful for replacing the patrol leader instead of having to listen to some other cat yap demands at him whilst leading his group towards the foggy wetland. he hadnt particularly liked this place the first time he was here, and he sure as hell didnt like it now. soggy and dark and just overall annoying. besides, running after critters had never been something he would actively chose to do for fun.
with the warm scent of wet bark and damp cat in his nose he stopped his patrol just short of the center of the area.
"i want to see at least 3 pieces of prey from each of you, understood?" the enforcer instructed, hazy memory of quiet complaint replaying in his mind, besides, he wasnt blind, and though he wasnt sure how much of the herbs were mossfreckles and grousepaws work alone, shadowclan was surely lacking in prey rather than herbs most of the time.

[ @Omari @narcissus ]

━━━━━━━━
ROOKFIRE

Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM
❝ meow! ❞ ✧ ೃ༄

fenneldrop nodded. "on it."

here, in the sogginess of it all, were some pieces of prey she wasn't a particular fan of, but nevertheless, she had to catch something. there were plenty of other cats who liked frogs more than she.

[rolled 13]
speaking of, there's one croaking now. she stalked over to the source, trying not to let the mire schlop shlop slop on her paws. sometimes the ground got boggier than other areas, which drew her ire. it drew her balance, too, as she pounced on that amphibian. it was luck that spared her failure - her claws snagged in its leathery skin past the mucus slime and pinned the squishy creature down for a killing bite. she set it down elsewhere and continued on.

[rolled 2]
her attention turned toward a curlew's call. she rushed her game, eager to catch her next two kills, and it cost her this one. the bird's feathers slipped from her muddy paws, and her claws found no purchase on the perched bird before it took flight with a surprised 'eep!'

[rolled 17]
the warrior lashed her tail and scoffed. "whatever," she muttered under her breath. a squirrel's bushy tail caught her eye, just out of the corner. she dropped down into a crouch and prowled close to it. her eyes narrowed as she paused a couple fox-lengths away. carefully, she stepped closer. one small inhale, then she pounced on it and snapped its neck before it could cry out. she discarded the squirrel's body next to the frog's.

[rolled 10]
a small rodent smell wafted to her jacobson's organ. fenneldrop perked up and looked around to pinpoint the scent. it was taking her back to the wetter soil, the loam's rich scent muddying the shrew's. her jaw clenched. her pale fur is already so dirty. val regrets having all his shadowclan cats be white-furred. the mire was working against fenneldrop, and it was beginning to tick her off. even so, she caught the shrew just as it was about to retreat into a hole, alerted to her presence after a squelch from the mud.

fenneldrop added the small rodent to her small pile, getting the three fresh-kill rookfire had wanted.
@Omari @alec
Old Today, 12:25 PM
the flower girl

Bump Policy: 72 hours!!
My Mood: Fine

⋆。゚⋆。゚⋆。゚⋆

⋆。゚⋆。゚⋆。゚⋆
Midnightpaw
Shadowclan
She/her
Purrks: Silver Tongue(active) & Hulk Smash(inactive)

Finally, this patrol was finally kicking off! She was happy that she had been placed on this patrol when it had been assigned, but she was afraid that nothing was actually going to come of it when their assigned enforcer never arrived. Thankfully, Rookfire was on the case.

With a dip of her head, she was off to find some prey. Three pieces, just as Rookfire told them. She stalked across the muddy territory, and the first scent that she managed to track was–quite frankly, her least favourite prey to hunt. A frog. Nevertheless, she dropped into a crouch, scenting the air to follow it's hippy-hoppy trail. Once she spotted the small creature, she got as close as she could before she pounced. The frog nearly got away, but she flipped it over onto it's back as it attempted to leap elsewhere. There, she nipped at it's throat.

Once she dug a small hole to leave the frog in, she set off to find something else. Not wanting to waste time on any more frogs or snakes, she scampered off to where she could find some spruce trees. There, she caught the scent of some squirrels. She followed the strongest scent trail to find the creature scrabbling about on the floor, perhaps trying to unearth something that caught it's interest. She took this as the opportunity to strike. Once close enough, she pounced, delivering a quick and easy nip to the back of it's neck. Similarly to the frog, she buried it to return to once she found her third piece of prey.

Perhaps it was a family of squirrels that she had found, so she followed the trail of the next nearest one. This one was perched on a root that twisted up and out of the ground, munching on… Something, that she didn't care much for. She stalked around the tree's body, ears angled forward as she peered at the small creature. When the squirrel's ear twitched, she wasted no time in pouncing, catching her prey between her jaws and delivering it's end with a soft crunch of her jaws.

It was time to return now. She backtracked, unearthing each of her kills before she returned to the meeting spot. Fenneldrop had returned with her catches, so now they had to wait for Rookfire to arrive.

[ @narcissus @alec ]
⋆。゚⋆。゚⋆。゚⋆

Drizzlecloud Midnightpaw Smolderkit Seedkit