Bump Policy: Anytime!
My Mood: Mysterious

Default Re: WindClan Medicine Cat's Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist Kitsune View Post

| Lightningstorm |
Flock Together [Tier 3] - Inactive | Mind Reader - Active

A moon.

The words echoed about her mind, tossed and tumbled violently as lapis hues stormed with ire, hackles raising as she realized the implications of the matter. A moon... A moon ago, the supposed plague had hit them. Cowtuft had still been with them. Cowtuft had been the head healer, with her still learning his ways. True, she had already earned her name, but she would never stop seeing the gentle giant as her mentor. There was always so much more to learn. Case in point... just how idiotic a WindClanner could be!

Without a word, Lightningstorm heads forward, grabbing at the feline's forepaw unceremoniously. Despite her anger, her touch is gentle. Expert. She might not trust this clan to not turn on her at the first mistake. At the first death that is out of her control. But that doesn't make her any less a medicine cat. Try as much as she wants, she cannot turn her back on these hare-brains who hurt themselves in the most convoluted of ways, eternally ruining something that a mere visit could have fixed in as long as they had been avoiding the damn visit in the first place.

The paw's injury was out of her control. It appeared to have been broken. A simple break. One that rest and a proper set would have healed in time. But there was nothing she could do now. In their refusal to visit the healers they had doomed themselves to live a life full of pain. Their twisted paw had healed wrong. Even as she peeled back the layers of bandaging that the feline had used in an obvious attempt to hide away the injury she could see it, and the sight did little to soothe her mood. She wanted to reprimand them. Demote them to kithood. It's what they deserved for their incompetence. If they wanted to act like an immature kit still dependent on their mother's milk, they should live like such as well. Would certainly keep them safe from any more blunders like these.

"You're a fool. I hope you realize that," the she-cat stated bluntly, eyes flashing dangerously as they turned from Poppysong's paw to their own gaze. "Gratefully for the clan, your bloody blunder only hurt the cat involved in it."

A sigh escaped Lightningstorm, equal parts irritation and disappointment. The one thing she trusted WindClan to do was to look out for themselves. The warriors of this star's forsaken clan had proved one thing to her time and time again. That they didn't care for anything as long as it didn't directly affect them. However, once their own interests were on the line? The lot of them were suddenly the most loyal, involved felines to have ever lived. The fact that Poppysong had not come around to have their paw checked out by Cowtuft gave her a few ideas of what could have possibly happened, but none painted the warrior in the best of lights.

Had they known about the poisoned herbs and not wanted to get poisoned themselves? If so, how dare they keep quiet about it... unless... they were the ones doing the poisoning. Knew what herbs would kill them. It was doubtful, considering the easiest solution would have then been to find fresh herbs, offer them to the medicine cat, and have those used on themselves. Which probably meant that they had simply been scared. Either by shyness, idiocy, or worry. None of which the spotted lass was particularly empathetic towards. Really... it all boiled down to a terrible mistake on their part. One that they would painfully carry for the rest of their lives.

"I can't help you. Not anymore. If you'd come when this bloody well happened, I could have fixed it. Left it good as new. I don't know what possessed you to keep this to yourself, love, but it's been too long. The bone's almost fully healed by this point. Had you kept quiet about this... helped somebody else hide this sort of injury, I'd be shredding your ears about now... Seems to me the paw's punishment enough, though, wouldn't you agree?" Lightningstorm mewed, her voice cool as she spoke. Her gaze softened mildly as she continued. "Hare-brain as you are, you're still my patient. I'm not enough of an arse to leave you like this... I'm not like your clanmates. How much pain are you in right now? Can you put your paw down at all?"

@MangofDoom [Poppysong]

✱ ═ Poppysong ═ ✱

windclan warriornb/demigirl they/them22 moons
tags; [Lightningstorm]

Poppysong can’t look up. They can feel the medicine cat’s eyes burning into them and they know if they return a look they won’t be able to take it. Her silence is deafening.

A fool. Poopysong supposes that is an accurate way to describe themself. A coward likely fits even better. They, too, are glad this didn’t hurt anyone else. At least- not telling others didn’t. Hawkfur did have a cough, and they’re not sure if they ever got it looked at…

Lightningstorm sighs, and Poppysong flinches back. Their form is suddenly larger thanks to their fur puffing up, which blocks a lot of the light coming into the den. Making the den smaller. This den has always felt small, like a cage or prison, and just as cold. Poppysong shivers. Maybe that’s just because it was at some point, at least for Poppysong’s mother. This was her prison. For so long, she was never was able to watch Poppysong become an a warrior. But at least they were well taken care of here. By… Cowtuft.

A rotting hole of guilt forms in their chest. Poppysong bites their tongue and can feel a prick of metallic blood drip down into their throat. The last time Poppysong saw Cowtuft was after that argument. ‘The argument I started,’ Poppysong thinks.

Poppysong’s inner monologue is broken by Lightningstorm speaking up. They can’t do anything. Poppysong was too late.

That hole in their chest grows to encapsulate their lungs, sucking the air out of them and stealing their ability to breathe. The pain from their leg. Will it stop them from protecting the camp? What if there’s danger? An attack? Poppysong would disappoint them all. And it would end in them all getting hurt.

No, no accomplices, why would they? This was a burden Poppysong was supposed to deal with alone. It was supposed to be a valiantly carried burden until it went away and it was all fine. At least, that’s what Poppysong told themself. It was, and is, a lie. This will be a punishment, no longer carried valiantly but with shame.

Poppysong wonders if they should have told Softsong how bad it truly got. Their mentor wouldn’t have been punished- right? Surely, Lightningstorm isn’t so cruel?

No. Lightningstorm reassures them they aren’t as uncaring as other clanmates. Without thought, Poppysong relaxes. ”Thank you…”

But Poppysong thinks on it for longer. No, not every clanmate is an arse. But Lightningstorm isn’t that far off, and it makes their fur itch.

How much pain. ”Oh, uhm…” Poppysong mumbles. They have gotten in the habit of putting as little pressure on it as possible, so they’re not quite sure.

Before their paw brushes against the den floor Poppysong winces as if in pain on instinct. The paw hovers there for a moment before thwy set it down. It’s less pain that they imagined, even as it throbs Poppysong imagines they could fight with it if they needed. The hole in their chest glimmers with hope-

”Not… that bad…” They begin, surprised.

Until they move their paw, that is. When the twist it to the side to adjust their balance, they have to bite their tongue not to hiss. ”It’s…” Poppysong pauses. No, they don’t want to lie. They’re too tired to lie. ”It’s fine to stand, not to twist it to the side like that.”

As Poppysong awaits an answer, they force themself to make eye contact with the medicine cat. Their own emerald eyes are dull and blurred from tears, so they don’t dare to blink.