View Single Post
Old April 2nd, 2024, 11:37 AM
What matters is ‘you’

Bump Policy: 2 days minimum
My Mood: Twisted

Default Re: Tongues and Teeth [solo]

Lark
she/her

Her mother sounded angry, and Lark couldn't help the way she shrunk back, old fear singing in her veins as she gazed into dead, golden eyes. Part of her registered that the fear was warranted - she'd always been at least a little afraid of the mother who rejected her as a kit, but most of her so desperately wanted the love her mother seemed to be offering now, that reasonable judgement was pushed to the side in favor of indulging.

"I- I know, mom. I love you too," she tried to believe it, but doubt circled her like a vulture would rotting carrion. "Are you... are you doing ok? In StarClan, I mean?"

"Oh, I simply love it there," Lilyfrost purrs, and part of Lark can clock that she seems to be holding something back, the way her ear twitches - a tell that she passed on to her daughter - making the living tortoiseshell uneasy. "You know," her mother purrs, standing now and circling her daughter, seeming to take stock of her condition once more, eyes cold and unfeeling, like she was appraising a misbehaving kit, trying to decide what punishment would be best. "I was so sorry when you did not go to StarClan to claim any of the lives you were owed as leader..." there's a pout on her mother's face, and the tone of her voice seems to suggest that being pulled into the Dark Forest for that awful meeting had been entirely up to Lark, wholly her choice and within her control. It makes her feel small.

"I-" Lark begins to say, to try and defend herself, but her mother cuts her off, a paw on her muzzle to silence her. She is not solid, but it's still effective.

"Ah, ah, ah," Lilyfrost coos, "I wasn't finished, dear," she says sweetly, but her smile doesn't reach her eyes. "Of course, you couldn't have known any better, could you?" The dead tortoiseshell continues with a pout. "How were you to know that the Dark Forest would make you fight to earn your lives? Of course you thought you could just take them! I don't blame you for thinking so, but you've got a good head on your shoulders... it would be wise of you to use it from time to time." Lark shrinks further back, feeling tears prick the corners of her eyes at the harsh tone her mother suddenly takes. "And this whole running away business..? What in all the clans were you thinking? Are there bees where your brain should be? You had everything. You had power. And you threw it all away for what? You were scared?"

Her mother is snarling now, advancing on her daughter with teeth bared, and Lark scrambles backward, the fear rising in her throat like bile. She tries to say something to defend herself, but the words only come out in broken stammers of "I- I- I don't- I didn't-!"

"Oh, spare me!" Lilyfrost snaps, and Lark flinches back, emerald eyes wide with fear as her mother looms over her menacingly.