Thread: Willow's Rise
View Single Post
Old April 19th, 2024, 12:32 AM

Bump Policy: A week
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Willow's Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR. View Post
Wolfhive had noticed Mallowpaw seemed like she was struggling - he didn't really have a better word for it in the moment. So as soon as he could, he stole her away for a little patrol. Nothing too crazy, just to Willow's Rise for a hunt. "You know anything about hunting yet?" he asked once the barrier to the cemetery was in sight. They weren't going in - they were going to hunt in the outskirts.

Her answer would determine his gameplan, of course. Wolfhive was thinking of a friendly competition, something lighthearted to lift her spirits.

[ @kittycatburmise ]
Mallowpaw
45/100

When Wolfhive had asked her to go with him, Mallowpaw didn't know what to expect. She was hoping, desperately hoping, that he was going to tell her how good an apprentice she was. Maybe even offer to mentor her. But there was anxiety, too, churning up her stomach; that he was going to tell her that she needed to do more. That she was falling behind in her training. Which she was; nine moons old and she hadn't even caught her first prey.

They stopped at a place that looked like a burial ground. Mallowpaw didn't pay too much attention to it, even if curiosity tugged at the back of her mind. Then Wolfhive asked a question, and Mallowpaw's heart dropped. It wasn't a compliment on her skills. It wasn't a denigrating comment, either, but Mallowpaw knew when she answered it she would see disappointment on the Hornet's face. She hated the look of disappointment. The apprentice swallowed, gazing past Wolfhive to the cemetery beyond. Hot tears pricked in her eyes, threatening to fall. You're being dramatic, she told herself. He just asked you a question.

Swallowing the lump in her throat, Mallowpaw forced herself to meet Wolfhive's eyes. "No," she mewed. "I've done the hunting crouch, but nothing other than that. I- I haven't caught any prey yet."