Warrior Cats Online

Warrior Cats Online (https://warriorcatsonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Plot Resources (https://warriorcatsonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   [All] ♡ Medical advice | Cat health & illnesses (https://warriorcatsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53695)

Wingnettle July 4th, 2022 08:03 AM

♡ Medical advice | Cat health & illnesses

I've got this idea when a user asked for a plot if greencough could be gotten during new-leaf.

Do you need a plot and you need to make an illness work? Are you unsure about some specific cat health related problems? (NOT about herbs!)
I'm offering free advice to make it clear! I'm a vet student, so I know a few things that could help you. :happycat:

Note: I can make specific suggestions for health problems, but the cat won't likely know anything about it. Only medicine cats have a basic knowledge of wounds.

For example: I need a cat that gets an unknown illness and eventually dies, with the symptoms x,y,z.
I will give you a suggestion, or you can give me one and I'll help you build the illness evolution needed for the plot.
I must specify that I haven't studied many specific pathologies yet, so I'll probably have to do some research first! I'm just starting my 3rd year now ♥︎

You can use this form:
• Which symptoms should your cat have?
• Do you want a genetic or acquired illness/condition?
• How many moons is this cat? Is it a certain breed?
• What's the cat past? How/where does it live now?
• Has it already some condition/other problems?
• What should the outcome of the illness/condition be?
• Is there a bigger plot around the illness/condition?

• Mention: @Wingnettle

Note: it is advisable that you do not choose any illness with a contagious infective origine, otherwise the cats that interact with the sick will likely get infected too!

Also. Little kk tips appreciated! (I'm so broke aah)

Wingnettle July 8th, 2022 06:57 AM

Re: Need information about a cat's health? Click here!

bump!

beau July 8th, 2022 07:02 AM

you have any info of FCDR? mostly how it presents, how far it progresses, etc. I’ve been considering making a character who would have a taurine deficiency
@Wingnettle

Wingnettle July 8th, 2022 07:22 AM

What's FCDR? I can tell you straightforward that a wild cat can't have this deficiency since taurine is an amino acid vastly found in prey (raw meat). I don't think either that there could be genetic/ereditary causes so I suggest that you look for another illness. @Naiad

beau July 8th, 2022 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingnettle (Post 1227386)
What's FCDR? I can tell you straightforward that a wild cat can't have this deficiency since taurine is an amino acid vastly found in prey (raw meat). I don't think either that there could be genetic/ereditary causes so I suggest that you look for another illness. @Naiad

FCDR is a retinal degeneration disease, which Abyssinian cats are prone to (he would have that breed in his bloodline), and it can be triggered by taurine deficiencies. I’m aware cats get taurine from consuming prey, the concept I have in mind is an overly stubborn cat who decides he will eat exclusively plants and suffer some health problems because of it, before begrudgingly going back to eating prey. I have no clue if I’d actually do anything with, he’s just a fun concept I’ve had bouncing around :P

Wingnettle July 8th, 2022 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naiad (Post 1227388)

FCDR is a retinal degeneration disease, which Abyssinian cats are prone to (he would have that breed in his bloodline), and it can be triggered by taurine deficiencies. I’m aware cats get taurine from consuming prey, the concept I have in mind is an overly stubborn cat who decides he will eat exclusively plants and suffer some health problems because of it, before begrudgingly going back to eating prey. I have no clue if I’d actually do anything with, he’s just a fun concept I’ve had bouncing around :P

I don't think that it would be realistic/acceptable in a roleplay, anyway a plant-based diet for a wild cat couldn't last long - a cat needs to have MANY little meals throughout the day especially because of his protein metabolism. This cat wouldn't digest nearly at all plants, so they would have digestive problems, lack of energy (from protein and fats) and lack of important nutrients such as taurina. They would rapidly lose weight and starve to death before developing other health problems such as the retinal degeneration.
If we are talking about domestic cats who are fed a commercial vegan diet, that is a little different (and not always working), but wild cats? They wouldn't be able to eat any plant from the wild, since they are 1. Inadequate for consumption, 2. Not processed and 3. Honestly disgusting

beau July 8th, 2022 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingnettle (Post 1227394)
I don't think that it would be realistic/acceptable in a roleplay, anyway a plant-based diet for a wild cat couldn't last long - a cat needs to have MANY little meals throughout the day especially because of his protein metabolism. This cat wouldn't digest nearly at all plants, so they would have digestive problems, lack of energy (from protein and fats) and lack of important nutrients such as taurina. They would rapidly lose weight and starve to death before developing other health problems such as the retinal degeneration.
If we are talking about domestic cats who are fed a commercial vegan diet, that is a little different (and not always working), but wild cats? They wouldn't be able to eat any plant from the wild, since they are 1. Inadequate for consumption, 2. Not processed and 3. Honestly disgusting

alright, ty for the info! do you have any resources about retinal diseases in cats that you might be able to send me? as he could still inherit the condition, regardless of whether he has a taurine deficiency or not

Wingnettle July 8th, 2022 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naiad (Post 1227396)

alright, ty for the info! do you have any resources about retinal diseases in cats that you might be able to send me? as he could still inherit the condition, regardless of whether he has a taurine deficiency or not

https://basepaws.com/blogs/news/prog...al-atrophy-pra
It's called PRA: progressive retinal atrophy
There's not much to say, except that at a certain age the cat starts to show vision loss until blindness.

Estelle July 8th, 2022 09:39 AM

This is not something that would ever take place in roleplay, but is part of a backstory;
Would it be realistic for a three month old kitten to suddenly die from HCM/Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy? I wasn't sure what could have caused her death as it was meant to be something sudden with little to no prior symptoms that weren't at all alarming and/or easy to hide. From what I found, HCM fit the bill - the only thing that bothered me is that it mentioned to be genetic in a lot of cases, but not all of them. Since I wouldn't want to dictate a genetic disease on a character that is not mine (the mother/father), I figured she could be one of the non genetic cases. But I would still really like to know if you think that works? Sure I've looked into it on several occasions, but I would still really appreciate to know what you think, and maybe know what you think could've happened if HCM doesn't work/isn't realistic :0

Additionally, it is possible for a kitten to be born blind, is it not? And if indeed so, would there be any specific causes behind it?

@Wingnettle sorry for the bit of a paragraph pfpf, but thank you in advance! It's really nice of you, and I've been wondering these things for a while :heartbounce:

Captain July 8th, 2022 09:48 AM

Hm. Well, I have my WindClan warrior, Lotuswhisper, who is set to run away with his forbidden RiverClan lover in the future. The original plan was that he was supposed to die from greencough or something along those lines since there was an illness running rampant through WindClan, but the plot is taking a bit longer than planned, so I might need more options on what illness he could contract that could kill him. He tends to overwork himself and not take care of himself, hardly eating and getting barely any sleep, etc. He’s been sick off and on for awhile now without really putting a name to it. He’s a maine coon if that matters at all, but yeah, any suggestions to possible illnesses? And the symptoms that can come with it? It will have to be fatal, but that shouldn't be too hard since he will be without any means of medicine soon and his lover has no knowledge of herbs whatsoever. @Wingnettle

Wingnettle July 8th, 2022 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estelle (Post 1227415)
This is not something that would ever take place in roleplay, but is part of a backstory;
Would it be realistic for a three month old kitten to suddenly die from HCM/Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy? I wasn't sure what could have caused her death as it was meant to be something sudden with little to no prior symptoms that weren't at all alarming and/or easy to hide. From what I found, HCM fit the bill - the only thing that bothered me is that it mentioned to be genetic in a lot of cases, but not all of them. Since I wouldn't want to dictate a genetic disease on a character that is not mine (the mother/father), I figured she could be one of the non genetic cases. But I would still really like to know if you think that works? Sure I've looked into it on several occasions, but I would still really appreciate to know what you think, and maybe know what you think could've happened if HCM doesn't work/isn't realistic :0

Additionally, it is possible for a kitten to be born blind, is it not? And if indeed so, would there be any specific causes behind it?

@Wingnettle sorry for the bit of a paragraph pfpf, but thank you in advance! It's really nice of you, and I've been wondering these things for a while :heartbounce:

Hi! So...

The causes of this illness haven't been clearly identified yet, but you could still make it possible to have it as an hereditary problem since not every cat with a mutation in their genes shows the illness. The parents could have a genetic predisposition without showing it, but no cat would know it. In the end, the cause remains unknown to the cats.
In your case, the kitten might start developing HCM after they're born and maybe die suddendly because of a blood clot that causes a heart attack. More commonly these blood clots will stop the blood from flowing to the hind legs, causing acute pain and hind legs paralysis in extreme cases.
I think that the kit might die from HCM, but they would probably have a few symptoms just before that moment; as I said, the signs that they are having a heart attack if you want them to die.
https://www.vet.cornell.edu/departme...cardiomyopathy

Yes, rarely a cat can be born blind but I don't have a detailed list of causes. What can I think of is: the cat has some genes mutations that made their eyes develop differently, or they had an infection in the uterus because the mother contracted an infection capable of reaching the kit. However I can't tell you if such bacteria, virus and so on exist.

Wingnettle July 8th, 2022 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenosaurus (Post 1227419)
Hm. Well, I have my WindClan warrior, Lotuswhisper, who is set to run away with his forbidden RiverClan lover in the future. The original plan was that he was supposed to die from greencough or something along those lines since there was an illness running rampant through WindClan, but the plot is taking a bit longer than planned, so I might need more options on what illness he could contract that could kill him. He tends to overwork himself and not take care of himself, hardly eating and getting barely any sleep, etc. He’s been sick off and on for awhile now without really putting a name to it. He’s a maine coon if that matters at all, but yeah, any suggestions to possible illnesses? And the symptoms that can come with it? It will have to be fatal, but that shouldn't be too hard since he will be without any means of medicine soon and his lover has no knowledge of herbs whatsoever. @Wingnettle

This might be harder but let's try.
How many moons is this cat? Did they get sick during the travel or before? Can you tell me something more about this journey?

Captain July 8th, 2022 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingnettle (Post 1227480)
This might be harder but let's try.
How many moons is this cat? Did they get sick during the travel or before? Can you tell me something more about this journey?

He’s around 29-30 moons old. It would be preferable that he gets sick before the journey begins. Mostly because the sickness will be the reason he wants to go with his lover and leave WindClan. Lotuswhisper will deem himself as useless to his clan and feel like he’s not good enough to be a warrior anymore. He will want to die being happy with his forbidden mate. There will be good days and bad days with the sickness, where he’ll feel somewhat okay and other days where he feels in immense pain, otherwise I don't think he'd be able to travel much. The sickness can get bad enough to where they'll have to stop and he can't go any further.

I’ll link you to the specific plot that this is all happening in, where it goes into a little more detail about the journey and whatnot. You can read it all [here]. Beyond that, I'm unsure what @/R0WAN has in mind for the journey itself. Apologies for this. ^^'

Wingnettle July 8th, 2022 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenosaurus (Post 1227483)

He’s around 29-30 moons old. It would be preferable that he gets sick before the journey begins. Mostly because the sickness will be the reason he wants to go with his lover and leave WindClan. Lotuswhisper will deem himself as useless to his clan and feel like he’s not good enough to be a warrior anymore. He will want to die being happy with his forbidden mate. There will be good days and bad days with the sickness, where he’ll feel somewhat okay and other days where he feels in immense pain, otherwise I don't think he'd be able to travel much. The sickness can get bad enough to where they'll have to stop and he can't go any further.

I’ll link you to the specific plot that this is all happening in, where it goes into a little more detail about the journey and whatnot. You can read it all [here]. Beyond that, I'm unsure what @/R0WAN has in mind for the journey itself. Apologies for this. ^^'

Alright, another thing: would you agree to change greencough to another illness, preferably one that cannot be cured? (Greencough can be treated with catnip)
If you choose to get greencough, remember that this illness is very contagious so the cat's mate would probably get it as well.

Wingnettle July 12th, 2022 12:16 PM

bump!

Captain July 13th, 2022 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingnettle (Post 1227516)
Alright, another thing: would you agree to change greencough to another illness, preferably one that cannot be cured? (Greencough can be treated with catnip)
If you choose to get greencough, remember that this illness is very contagious so the cat's mate would probably get it as well.

Apologies for the late response to this, but yes, I'd be down for another illness. Anything that you would recommend.

Wingnettle July 13th, 2022 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenosaurus (Post 1229500)

Apologies for the late response to this, but yes, I'd be down for another illness. Anything that you would recommend.

I have 3 options as an alternative:
-Diabete: the cat shows increased thirst, appetite and urination, although they suffer a persistent and progressive weight loss.
-Cancer: this can appear everywhere in the body and can be visible or not, depending on his position. A cancer can be benign or malignant; the first one may not make the cat show symptoms, whereas the second one often ends with the death of the animal and its development is way quicker.
-Hyperthyroidism: increased appetite, thirst, heart rate, restlessness and poor grooming habits, but still weight loss. Some cats show loss of appetite and are lethargic. Usually seen in more aged cats (after 10 years)

These illnesses have a progressive course, so the symptoms will be worsening over time. (Except for a benign cancer, where the outcome is based on its position in the body)

Estelle July 17th, 2022 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingnettle (Post 1227476)
Hi! So...

The causes of this illness haven't been clearly identified yet, but you could still make it possible to have it as an hereditary problem since not every cat with a mutation in their genes shows the illness. The parents could have a genetic predisposition without showing it, but no cat would know it. In the end, the cause remains unknown to the cats.
In your case, the kitten might start developing HCM after they're born and maybe die suddendly because of a blood clot that causes a heart attack. More commonly these blood clots will stop the blood from flowing to the hind legs, causing acute pain and hind legs paralysis in extreme cases.
I think that the kit might die from HCM, but they would probably have a few symptoms just before that moment; as I said, the signs that they are having a heart attack if you want them to die.
https://www.vet.cornell.edu/departme...cardiomyopathy

Yes, rarely a cat can be born blind but I don't have a detailed list of causes. What can I think of is: the cat has some genes mutations that made their eyes develop differently, or they had an infection in the uterus because the mother contracted an infection capable of reaching the kit. However I can't tell you if such bacteria, virus and so on exist.

Does that also mean any siblings of the kit could have a genetic predisposition for it as well, without necessarily developing HCM?

Thank you so much for the information, and the link! It's very helpful!

Captain July 17th, 2022 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingnettle (Post 1229556)
I have 3 options as an alternative:
-Diabete: the cat shows increased thirst, appetite and urination, although they suffer a persistent and progressive weight loss.
-Cancer: this can appear everywhere in the body and can be visible or not, depending on his position. A cancer can be benign or malignant; the first one may not make the cat show symptoms, whereas the second one often ends with the death of the animal and its development is way quicker.
-Hyperthyroidism: increased appetite, thirst, heart rate, restlessness and poor grooming habits, but still weight loss. Some cats show loss of appetite and are lethargic. Usually seen in more aged cats (after 10 years)

These illnesses have a progressive course, so the symptoms will be worsening over time. (Except for a benign cancer, where the outcome is based on its position in the body)

I think I'll be going with Diabetes! After doing some poking around of my own, that would be the best one for him, thank you! :heartbounce:

Wingnettle July 17th, 2022 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenosaurus (Post 1230965)
I think I'll be going with Diabetes! After doing some poking around of my own, that would be the best one for him, thank you! :heartbounce:

You are welcome! The books refer to diabete as the "thirsting illness" but only medecine cats should know about it. If you remember well enough, that's the same sickness Leopardstar died from!

Wingnettle July 17th, 2022 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estelle (Post 1230962)

Does that also mean any siblings of the kit could have a genetic predisposition for it as well, without necessarily developing HCM?

Thank you so much for the information, and the link! It's very helpful!

Yes, exactly. So no problem about having other healthy siblings. That's normal.

Estelle July 17th, 2022 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingnettle (Post 1230984)
Yes, exactly. So no problem about having other healthy siblings. That's normal.

Great, thank you!

gs29513 July 18th, 2022 01:33 PM

Hey! I was wondering what a twisted, slightly shorter leg could be caused by, and if a cat with that condition would be more likely to have kits with a disability of some kind. @Wingnettle

Wingnettle July 18th, 2022 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gs29513 (Post 1231323)
Hey! I was wondering what a twisted, slightly shorter leg could be caused by, and if a cat with that condition would be more likely to have kits with a disability of some kind. @Wingnettle

Hi there! So...
There may be different causes for a twisted leg. For example, the cat may be born with a deformity due to genetic causes or because the fetus doesn't have enough space in the uterus to grow (the legs can't stretch and the bones/articulations weld badly). Otherwise they may acquire a twisted leg after an accident, for example a car accident or a terrible fall that end in an injury which doesn't heal correctly. Remember Cinderpelt? She got hit by a car and her leg never regained her previous shape. And Briarlight? She fell of that tree and her leg also remained twisted.

Can a cat like that have kits?
I'm not sure. I haven't studied how childbirth works physically, but I think that if the damage concerns legs only, then there's nothing to worry about. The real problem would be if the cat also has something wrong with their pelvis, since the kits have to pass trough that. However, a twisted leg is a matter of tendons, articulations and bones. Birth works trough the musculature, so if the pelvis doesn't have any deformity all should be ok.

I hope this'll be good enough! I tried with my limited 2-years knowledge:)

Estelle July 18th, 2022 02:20 PM

Hello, me again. Sorry if this is a bit silly, but if a cat were to have an allergic reaction to salmon, would the symptoms go away by itself at some point? Would the cat be able to survive if, say, their throat and/or tongue swelled up if the swelling remained to a minimum or is that just certain death without the required treatment?
@Wingnettle

Wingnettle July 18th, 2022 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estelle (Post 1231340)
Hello, me again. Sorry if this is a bit silly, but if a cat were to have an allergic reaction to salmon, would the symptoms go away by itself at some point? Would the cat be able to survive if, say, their throat and/or tongue swelled up if the swelling remained to a minimum or is that just certain death without the required treatment?
@Wingnettle

Hello, that's not silly at all!
This is a useful resource -> https://wagwalking.com/cat/condition/salmon-allergy
The symptoms may be mild or severe; if extreme, the cat develops an anaphylactic reaction and the throat/tongue swelling might cause suffocation and death in little time. Otherwise the symptoms will just go away on their own and the cat will just have to avoid that food for good.

Estelle July 18th, 2022 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingnettle (Post 1231358)
Hello, that's not silly at all!
This is a useful resource -> https://wagwalking.com/cat/condition/salmon-allergy
The symptoms may be mild or severe; if extreme, the cat develops an anaphylactic reaction and the throat/tongue swelling might cause suffocation and death in little time. Otherwise the symptoms will just go away on their own and the cat will just have to avoid that food for good.

Thhhank you very much again, and for the clarification! That resource is indeed very useful! I might maybe still go with mild swelling of the tongue, just not enough to suffocate him, and itching. He's going to hate salmon with a passion.

Wingnettle July 19th, 2022 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estelle (Post 1231568)

Thhhank you very much again, and for the clarification! That resource is indeed very useful! I might maybe still go with mild swelling of the tongue, just not enough to suffocate him, and itching. He's going to hate salmon with a passion.

You're welcome, that's a great idea!

Wingnettle July 26th, 2022 10:08 AM

bump :heartbounce:

Courage July 28th, 2022 03:47 AM

im thinking of giving my main oc a disability, don't know what disability to give her tho. @Wingnettle

Wingnettle July 28th, 2022 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courage (Post 1234097)
im thinking of giving my main oc a disability, don't know what disability to give her tho. @Wingnettle

Do you have some plot you want to follow? What limits should this disability put on the cat?

Courage July 29th, 2022 01:17 AM

id like her to get the disability through a non combat related accident. I'd like her to have to train hard to cope with having the disability. @Wingnettle

Wingnettle July 29th, 2022 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courage (Post 1234392)
id like her to get the disability through a non combat related accident. I'd like her to have to train hard to cope with having the disability. @Wingnettle

What clan is this cat currently in? Do you want her to maintain the potential to be a good warrior? (For example Brightheart did it, whereas Cinderpelt didn't)

Courage July 29th, 2022 11:48 PM

i want her to remain the potential to be a good warrior, shes in Thunderclan. @Wingnettle

Wingnettle July 30th, 2022 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courage (Post 1234703)
i want her to remain the potential to be a good warrior, shes in Thunderclan. @Wingnettle

Some options that I can think of:
-She goes hunting in Snakerocks and gets attacked by an adder. Maybe she loses sight from one eye?
-She climbs an old tree until some bark/some branch breaks and she falls. She might get an injury to a leg/paw, which then heals but leaves that body part crooked.
-Maybe she meets some young and stupid twolegs who use firecrackers and she loses hearing from an ear?
-This might be too complicated: if she falls / has a car accident, she might get neurological damage but that could impact many many things. For example, she might lose the use of both legs

Courage July 30th, 2022 04:37 PM

ty! i think i might go with loss of sight in one eye @Wingnettle

wolfie August 3rd, 2022 05:45 PM

@Wingnettle
hello !! question, question. i have a character named asterdance who is deaf. originally my reasoning was it had been prominent since birth (nerve deafness was/is the type). their father was a kittypet who had white fur, blue eyes and was deaf. their mother was also a maine coon mix which i wanna say that breed has a higher chance in terms of genetic deafness?? so, it made sense in my little head. another thing is that asterdance can speak orally + lipread along with a few basic gestures. while their dad wasn't around when they were born, i figured their mother would have knowledge and is the person who taught them !!

expect ghostie also realized that it's not.. impossible but, it's super difficult ?? in terms of communication and like, dunno. so i was wondering if you have any other possible causes that may make it a little bit sense ? was thinking either it was sudden or development but been roleplaying them since they were baby (like four moons or so) with them being completely deaf so don't know if it could develop that pass. they were an outsider so wouldn't have any access to herbs or anything. so sickness or somethin' is pretty possible.

small note : their mother passed away when they were four moons or around that. their was a monster coming and aster didn't feel the vibrations soon enough so she saved 'em. since this wasn't roleplayed out i figured i could actually mess around with that ? :eyes: perhaps at that point they weren't deaf, but were merely distracted and recklessly ran into a road. they froze when a monster was coming so that's why their mom had to save them. would it be possible for the loud noises at such a young age to have ruptured their eardrum or something similar? + aster was injured during it, they had been slammed against the ground extremely hard. either a rock or something injured their shoulder. perhaps the sudden change of pressure ?? then i think that would. only be one ear.

i don't know those are my thoughts pfpff ;;

,, also one small question just because i am completely unsure. i have wormbite, whoo is blindd. it's developmental, he was born prematurely was very sick as a kit and very pure nutrition. along with the fact his family has a history of it. he's 36 moons right now, do you know how far it would have progressed at this point? with it being untreated completely?

Wingnettle August 4th, 2022 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x ghostie (Post 1235998)
@Wingnettle
hello !! question, question. i have a character named asterdance who is deaf. originally my reasoning was it had been prominent since birth (nerve deafness was/is the type). their father was a kittypet who had white fur, blue eyes and was deaf. their mother was also a maine coon mix which i wanna say that breed has a higher chance in terms of genetic deafness?? so, it made sense in my little head. another thing is that asterdance can speak orally + lipread along with a few basic gestures. while their dad wasn't around when they were born, i figured their mother would have knowledge and is the person who taught them !!

expect ghostie also realized that it's not.. impossible but, it's super difficult ?? in terms of communication and like, dunno. so i was wondering if you have any other possible causes that may make it a little bit sense ? was thinking either it was sudden or development but been roleplaying them since they were baby (like four moons or so) with them being completely deaf so don't know if it could develop that pass. they were an outsider so wouldn't have any access to herbs or anything. so sickness or somethin' is pretty possible.

small note : their mother passed away when they were four moons or around that. their was a monster coming and aster didn't feel the vibrations soon enough so she saved 'em. since this wasn't roleplayed out i figured i could actually mess around with that ? :eyes: perhaps at that point they weren't deaf, but were merely distracted and recklessly ran into a road. they froze when a monster was coming so that's why their mom had to save them. would it be possible for the loud noises at such a young age to have ruptured their eardrum or something similar? + aster was injured during it, they had been slammed against the ground extremely hard. either a rock or something injured their shoulder. perhaps the sudden change of pressure ?? then i think that would. only be one ear.

i don't know those are my thoughts pfpff ;;

,, also one small question just because i am completely unsure. i have wormbite, whoo is blindd. it's developmental, he was born prematurely was very sick as a kit and very pure nutrition. along with the fact his family has a history of it. he's 36 moons right now, do you know how far it would have progressed at this point? with it being untreated completely?

Hello! I know Asterdance, he was taken back from Starclan and is now in Thunderclan again!

So... there is one gene that is associated both with white coat and deafness, and that's a dominant one. You don't necessarily need to choose a Maine Coon among the parents if you want to raide the chances, as only white maine coons are at risk and so are many other breeds. This deafness can be unilateral or bilateral, meaning it can even impact one ear only. It's a congenital disease, so the hearing organs don't develop but rather degenerate during the first months of life - meaning the cat hasn't probably ever heard anything in their life. That gene is also associated with blue eyes, so a cat with two blue eyes is more likely to have a congenital deafness but that doesn't mean thar other eyes' color can't coexist with it.
Since the effect of genes that are inherited is summed, the descendants of two white cats with blue eyes - deafs or not - are at higher risk of being deaf since birth.

Second thing: this looks more complicated but since characters can speak, I guess it can work somehow. However keep in mind that the mother should have had the opportunity to learn enough on her own and pass on to Asterdance the more she can. You should take your time to develop this storyline enough, and it should be fine!
Also, you want not to exaggerate in this lip reading as if the cat has secret powers and can read anything. You should keep realistic and limit this ability to a few relevantl works, such as "prey", "hunting", "patrols"... you know, the basic indications that a warrior needs to communicate. For less important stuff such as grooming, playing, saying hi.. use your body language. Your ears, paws, tails, mouth, back... your clanmates will have the time to learn your way or communication.

If you want to take the "acquired deafness" path, here's what you need to know: it may be caused by infections, trauma, toxins or degenerations of the ear. It can result also from inflammation, damage of the small bones within the ears or loss of nerve cells (causes by trauma, infections, loud noises, tumors, drugs toxic to the ear and other diseases that affect the myelin of neurons). So no, congenital deafness doesn't regard the damage of neuronal cells in the ear as you first said. That type of deafness is due to a degeneration of the whole system (the cochlea and the organ of Corti).
Can the noises of a car accident cause complete deafness in a kit? I don't think so, but it may surely cause some problems if the car is VERY noisy (deafness is improbable with noises under 70 decibel, and cars are usually below that range. To give you an idea, fireworks would be 140 decibels for example). With a car accident it would be more likely to get deafness from a trauma, maybe to the small bones of the ear (even just one).

Hope I was useful :heartbounce:

Main sources: https://www.msdvetmanual.com/cat-own...afness-in-cats
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cong...afness_in_cats
https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/noi...d-hearing-loss

wolfie August 4th, 2022 05:02 PM

@Wingnettle
yep !! they got tired of them and decided, mm, fine if you stop crying you can go back. also, that makes sense !! i wasn't sure if maine coons in general were prone or if it was just white maine coons. thank you for the suggestions !! also definitely, been trying to learn how to read lips actually and uh ... there's so many factors. (man, trying to think about how cats would go about it gives me grey hairs lmao. ) really hoping to make asterdance a more accurate representation :heartbounce: so thank you!!!

i'm in a bit of a wonky space since asterdance has been roleplayed since they were four/five-ish moons. a lot of stuff already happened in roleplay that ,,.. can't be exactly changed. though !! i can change their backstory a bit as long as the major event doesn't change.

i'm heavily leaning onto it having been acquired! feel like it would make more sense at least in terms of verbal speech & lipreading. (just because of known sound association with lip movements i wanna say ? ;w; maybee ) so, just, a few more questions i'm sorry aaa. :heartbounce: really want to make sure i'm representing everything properly and having it be accurate !!

would you say it would be realistic for asterdance to have damage of the small bones because of the car accident ? if not, do you perhaps have any ideas on any other sort of trauma that could have happened ? they are.. a very reckless character and honestly, if their mother told them no i imagine they would try and do it on out of spite when they were younger.

i'm unsure if that would cause hearing loss in both ears?? or, could,, could they have damaged bones in both ears? (i'm sorry if you already answered this because i'm not sure if you meant one bone or one ear could cause deafness ;; )

if not, i'm thinking either inflammation/infection? depends on whether aster could have survived without proper treatment. i don't think ear mites would be an option because aster has two siblings which means they would probably have been infected also.

okay thank you for your time you wonderful human being :puddled:

puppeteer August 4th, 2022 06:56 PM

i have a kit character in ShadowClan (Sagekit) who is about to become an apprentice, and i was wondering if theres any genetic diseases in domestic shorthairs or ragdolls that would cause complete blindness suddenly? i was hoping for him to become an apprentice then his vision going away not long after