PDA

View Full Version : Looking for role playing Advice!

Fritter
March 8th, 2024, 03:51 PM
Although the title will most likely be self explanatory I do want to make a few things clear with this thread, I really don’t like making copy and paste personalities and I’ve been smooshing together all the personalities of my current characters. I also do this awful ramble in order to make the post seem longer and I hate it because most times it’s not even relevant! Advice that ranges on how to better describe surroundings, how to seem more ‘expertise’ or use a better range of vocabulary in the right places are the sort of stuff I’m looking for, but I also can’t really be picky with this hehe :love85:

Also I was thinking of setting up a rp tutor system? I know I’ve seen a thread with a similar sorta idea somewhere but idk if that part is specifically within the rules-
Excuse any spelling mistakes here my mobile device has a horrible autocorrect system now that can’t even get the words right :quivering:

Fritter
March 9th, 2024, 04:02 AM
Bump! (Idk if I can bump This thread :quivering: )

Fritter
March 9th, 2024, 01:37 PM
Another bump

Dolomedes
March 9th, 2024, 01:42 PM
I'd be interested in a tutor system. I feel like I am having a similar issue with rambling to have longer posts and would also like to improve :) I could also provide advice for others but I am not the best writer myself so I'm not sure if my advice would be very good. :heartbounce:

Snips
March 9th, 2024, 01:58 PM
I can help with the rambling part. The tip for that is to let a post write itself. Once you get the post started, the rest should come naturally. When the post feels done, let it be done. Don't force it. Longer does not equal better. As long as you write a decent length post (4+ sentences), you're good. Some people write longer posts. That's just the wat it is. Hope this helps. Fritter Theraphosa

Fritter
March 9th, 2024, 02:34 PM
I'd be interested in a tutor system. I feel like I am having a similar issue with rambling to have longer posts and would also like to improve :) I could also provide advice for others but I am not the best writer myself so I'm not sure if my advice would be very good. :heartbounce:
I can help with the rambling part. The tip for that is to let a post write itself. Once you get the post started, the rest should come naturally. When the post feels done, let it be done. Don't force it. Longer does not equal better. As long as you write a decent length post (4+ sentences), you're good. Some people write longer posts. That's just the wat it is. Hope this helps. Fritter Theraphosa

For Theraphosa, in terms of the Tutor System i'm definitely considering making it an actual thing, (If you want I can mention you if I do! ) and for Snips tysm for the Advice! Definitely helped a lot aa :hooray:

alec
March 9th, 2024, 03:06 PM
i dont think i can provide any help because im really bad at translating what i see in my head into posts and struggle with giving context to surroundings and thoughts/feelings but id be interested in that tutor system :eyes:

zozelen
March 9th, 2024, 03:20 PM
i agree with snips when it comes to post length, and on the topic of character creation, you could try and come up with a general idea (e.g. spoiled princess, jerk with a heart of gold, naive optimist) and go from there. coming up with a strong, distinct personality before you submit your character might help keep you from writing them all too similar. some characters may warrant longer posts because they have lots of inner monologue or are very observant, while others might have shorter because they're more clueless or something lol.

if you want to seem experienced with your writing, i'm not sure what good advice for that would be... read lots of books? fanfiction? try to expand your vocabulary and description abilities. i went to go read some of your posts myself to try and see what you might need help with, and i think paragraph spacing could really be useful. if your posts are just a whole bunch of words in a really big paragraph, it'll be hard to read and understand. split it up into blocks whenever a new train of thought starts or something new is introduced. ...also, i'm not sure if you have a reason why you do this, but warrior cat names are prefix and suffix in the same word. like, bluejay or whiteflower. not blue jay or white flower, which is how you write them.

if that tutor system does end up becoming a thing, i think i could teach some users if needed.