PDA

View Full Version : Summer Contest Voting - Category #2

wolfie
June 21st, 2023, 10:11 PM
https://i.imgur.com/1FKyzVZ.gif

Come one, come all! With the Summer Contest's submissions deadline coming to a close, it is now time to vote for who you would like to win!

፧፧ ❀❀ -ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ- ❀❀ ፧፧

Information

All entries in this thread were made for the second category set in the Non-Warriors universe. The theme given was :

"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time."

Voting will end on June 30th at 11:59pm Eastern Time. Results will be revealed on July 1st. All entries are to stay anonymous until the voting has come to an official end. If it is found you break this rule or vote for your own entry, you will be disqualified. If it is revealed you have won, please submit a support ticket to claim your purrks (if applicable) and character art.

፧፧ ❀❀ -ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ- ❀❀ ፧፧

Please take your time reading through each and every entry. :heartbounce: They all have so much heart put into them and deserve all the compliments!

wolfie
June 23rd, 2023, 04:50 PM
Summer Day - #1

Rest is idleness, they say,
And I couldn't disagree more today,
For lying on the grass under trees,
On a summer's day, it's such a breeze.

Listening to the mournful whisper of the water,
Or watching the clouds drift by across the sky,
It's a moment that I won't squander,
For it brings peace to my mind and heart.

The world can be so fast-paced,
And we often forget to slow down,
But taking a moment to rest and embrace,
The beauty around us, it's like a crown.

So let us not consider it a waste of time,
To rest and relax in nature's embrace,
For it rejuvenates the soul and mind,
And helps us continue with beautiful grace.

wolfie
June 23rd, 2023, 04:55 PM
the cold summer's breeze - #2

"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time."
Word Count: 549

Content warnings: References to illness & death

The first time we met, you had scared the life out of me when all I wanted was to rest underneath a tree. I hadn’t even closed my eyes more than a minute before I heard rustling above me and you tumbled out of the branches, falling in a heap at my feet. We shared a glance; me, with my wide, startled eyes, and you, with your equally shocked gaze and your curly hair all tangled up with leaves. We stared for a moment, lost for words. Then you burst into laughter and before I knew it I was laughing so hard I could hardly breathe.

For better or worse, we were inseparable after that.

This spot, with the tree in the center of a grassy plain, became our favorite place to talk about anything and everything our hearts desired. You’d always climb the tree and sit above me, swinging your legs as we chatted. I wasn’t much of a climber—too afraid of heights—but you didn’t mind. I’d take my spot at the base of the tree. We’d come here every day in the afternoon, never running out of things to discuss. It was our routine, a steadfast comfort in the midst of our otherwise hectic lives.

Then one day, you didn’t show up. I waited. And waited. Until the sun had made its journey over the sky, and finally I had to go home.

You weren’t there the next day, either. I didn’t wait as long.

Then, on the third day, there you were—sitting up on that same branch you always sat on. I was a little upset (rightfully so, I think!), and asked why you hadn’t shown up, why you didn’t leave me a note or anything.

You apologized, and asked if we could make our meetings once a week instead of every day.

Why, I asked, Do you not like me anymore? Am I not as interesting?

You smiled, and I felt something in my heart crack at seeing it. Smiles were supposed to be happy, right? But I couldn’t help but feel you were so sad.

You reassured me that no, you and I were still inseparable. Then you hesitated. Always patient, I waited.

Finally, you told me that you’d been in the hospital, and that your illness—which I never even knew you had, you never talked about it—had progressed to an incurable point. You didn’t have long to live. And you said all this with that sad smile still on your face, but I couldn’t bring myself to smile back.

We met a few times after that. You seemed—freer, somehow. Like a weight had been lifted off your shoulders.

The last time we met, you didn’t have the strength to climb trees anymore.

It’s fine, I said. Come lie down with me.

You wheezed out a laugh, and I smiled weakly in return. In all these times we met, you never once joined me down here. As you laid beside me, in the shade of the tree, you shivered. It’s cold.

It was summer.

I held you tightly. Are you okay?

I’m fine. Just gonna close my eyes a while.

And as your breathing slowed, I watched the clouds roll by. The world kept moving, but you and I stayed still in this moment.

wolfie
June 23rd, 2023, 05:02 PM
Taxes. - #3

Work had ended nearly half an hour ago yet there their boss was, just working away at some papers. Sprout and Rowan locked eyes just beyond the doorway. A plan was brewing in Sprout’s mind, Rowan could see that in his best friend’s eyes. He shook his head desperately as the other flapped their wings, just enough to make a buzzing sound that would catch the older man’s attention.

“Hm? Oh, you two are still here? Whaddya want?” The arachnid briefly glanced at his employees before going back to his work.

“Shift’s over,” Sprout mumbled.

“Yeah? Then go, it’s not your first day at work.”

Whatever Sprout’s idea had been, it seems it didn’t work as they turned to the avian and shrugged. Rowan uselessly opened and closed his mouth. His dark ginger feathers puffed in both disbelief and panic.

He whisper shouted, “What do you want me to do?!”

The apoidea vaguely gestured towards their boss with one hand as their second pair of hands was already busy with their phone. Rowan grimaced, looking into his boss’s room. He just had to get the guy away from work. Easy, simple. Oh, he was going to throw up…

“What- What are you working on…?” Rowan asked quietly.

“Taxes.”

“Are they- Do they need to be done now or… can it wait?”

“It can wait but what am I supposed to do, frolic? It’s a waste of time, I’d rather do everything now.”

“You always do “everything now”,” Sprout interjected with a pout, putting their phone away.

Antonio sighed and dragged a hand over his face, finally looking up. “Well work never ends, I’ll rest when I’m dead.”

“Well… dad- I mean-” Sprout’s cough sounded an awful lot like laughter. “... It’s good to take a break. You can’t really spend time with people you care about if you’re working.” Rowan glanced at his best friend, the two sharing a small smile.

Antonio had a fond look in his eyes. “Alright, what do you kids want? No dodging around the question, just spill.”

“Just a night out, we wanted to spend some time with our work dad.” Sprout explained, nudging their friend and co-worker with an elbow. Said friend responds with a pitiful look.

“Fine, you’ve convinced me. Go on, drag me off to wherever you want.” Antonio gets up, exaggerating how annoyed he is.

The trio spends the rest of the evening chatting and wandering around the town. Both work dad and work children were relaxed by the time they were ready to go their separate ways.

“If I’d known you two would go dragging me around I never woulda hired you,” Antonio said, resting two of his hands on both of his definitely not found family kids’ heads.

“Well, now you’re stuck with us.” Sprout grinned using all four of their arms to try and wrestle the older man’s hand out of their hair. ”We should do this again sometime, old man.”

The arachnid just laughed, pushing down lightly before removing his hands. “I’ll see you two tomorrow.”

“Bright and early.” Came the twin responses.

“...And then there were two,” Rowan observed.

“More like one, I gotta get home.”

The goodbye was the same as always, yet there was a feeling of warmth in Rowan’s chest as he returned home.

wolfie
June 23rd, 2023, 05:05 PM
Fauna - #4

Michelle has always been an antsy one, the kind to venture maybe a little too far from her house. Her parents were always quite strict about this being unacceptable, much to her great displeasure. Of course, she finds ways, as someone very plainly stubborn will. Despite her age, she has always proven to be quite a peculiarly clever child.

Her parents are gentle by character, though they're also stern with a subdued and quiet strength. Still, it has always been apparent that they care deeply for their child and hope to lead her down a successful path. Michelle cares for her parents the same but also finds them sometimes quite ignorant.

So, though she knows it's wrong for her to do so, she sneaks out to go to her friend's house. Michelle isn't perfect, she understands that kind of thing, but she also likes to embrace it, even if it means going against plainly set rules.

Her friends are a bit like her parents too, but she still loves to hang out with them. Michelle is puzzled by the widespread dislike for the extended period of time she tends to spend in the forest, but she doesn't mind the opinions. It's a shame, truly, that she loves the forest where others do not. The bugs and such aren't an inconvenience, they're going into their space, aren't they? She likes to draw and observe them, among many other things.

As she treks the trail to her friend's house through the forest, something easily catches her curious gaze. It's honestly impressive how quickly her attention diverts and focuses on the creature.

Michelle has seen many types of deer, but she finds herself fascinated by each one, observing their movements and sounds. It's not uncommon to see a few deer comfortably settle near humans, and she likes to pride herself sometimes on the unrealistic idea that she alone makes them comfortable around humans. She doesn't like to think of hunters, but she's beyond grateful they aren't usually permitted to hunt in the forest where she often embarks.

This one is a skinny fawn, dipping its head into a bubbling creak as it steadies its slightly wobbly legs. Though most would be confused about where the mother may be, Michelle knows she's most likely watching and silently waiting.

Forgetting her friends entirely, she goes to stealthily creep forward near the fawn until she's right by a large oak, where she sits down silently.

Her fingers twitched and practically itched from the desire to draw the small fawn, but she forgot her notebook, so instead she mutely looked upon the creature. From the twitch of its ears, she was almost sure it knew of her presence, and she was proved correct when a few moments later its head shot up and scanned its surroundings before trotting swiftly away.

Michelle ought to leave, but she knows she won't, she never does. There she sat, relaxing as she listened to the soft sway of leaves, the quiet rush of the creek, the chirps of birds, and the scuttling of soft animals. As the sky slowly faded to an orange hue and bits of sunlight peeked through the trees, she concluded that maybe she should push both her family and friends to join her in this 'meaningless' hobby.

wolfie
June 23rd, 2023, 05:07 PM
A Letter - #5

The girl began to tap nervously with her pen on the table.
"Dear Thea, please, don't forget me, even after I'm gone. Don't forget to find happiness in the smallest things: the sound of fallen leaves, the sun's warmth after a rainy day, or the beauty of a flower after the cold winter."
A single tear trickled on the girl's rose cheek. She didn't feel the need to explain her words. Her friend will understand.
"Please..." she murmured before resting her tired head in her hands. At first, there had been only one, but now her eyes were full of tears, tears that trickled down her heated cheeks, tears that wet the letter she had just written and left on it the sign of the depth of suffering that the girl carried in her young soul.
No, she couldn't do it anymore, she thought, between the sobs that made her wavy hair startle on her shoulders.
After a while, she stood up with tears in her eyes and grabbed the folded sheet in her trembling hand. She unwrapped it and began to read it once more. As her tearful eyes were moving through the rows, her heartbeat quickened, making her wonder if what she was doing was wrong.
No, she repeated in her mind, She must understand me...!
Her hands began to shake so much that the girl dropped the letter, which floated on the ground.
The girl did not bend down to pick it up. As if in a dream, she headed, still trembling, towards a well-known shelf. The horror, the feeling that she'd been betrayed took over her. She felt the room beginning to spin with her and she fell dizzy on the hard floor. Her cold hand slipped, letting something be seen, which the girl had held tightly in her frail fist until then.
Suddenly, everything has gone dark.

wolfie
June 23rd, 2023, 05:09 PM
Simple Pleasures - #6

Once, in a forest there was a man named Silas who worked tirelessly day and night. He was always busy, never taking a moment to rest or relax. One day, healing after a work injury, an old wise sage came to him and said, "Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time." Silas thought about this for a moment and realized that he had been missing out on the beauty of life by constantly working. One day, Silas decided to take the sage's advice and went to a nearby park. He found a nice spot under a tree and lay down on the grass. He listened to the birds chirping and the sound of the leaves rustling in the wind. He watched the clouds float by and the water in the nearby stream gurgle along. For the first time in a long time, silas felt at peace. As he lay there, he realized that the world was full of beauty, and he had been missing out on it all this time. He promised himself that he would make time for rest and relaxation and not just work all the time. From that day on, silas made it a point to take time out of his busy schedule to enjoy the simple pleasures of life. He realized that rest is not idleness and that taking time to relax and recharge is essential to living a happy and fulfilling life. In conclusion, the wise words of the sage proved to be a valuable lesson for Silas. He learned that rest is not a waste of time, but rather an essential part of life. So, take a cue from Silas, and make time to lie on the grass, listen to the murmur of the water, and watch the clouds float across the sky. You never know what beautiful things you might discover.

wolfie
June 23rd, 2023, 05:12 PM
Summer is no Waste of Time - #7

Prompt: "Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time."

I put my book down. I can't stand to be inside anymore and waste my time. I stand up and start walking, out of my room, up the stairs, and out the front door. I sigh, breathing in that fresh summer air. My family and I were on vacation to a beautiful river. I brush my hair out of my eyes, letting the wind play with it, I make my way down to the river. I lay down by it, sighing. "This is perfect…" I say to myself. "Hey." My brother suddenly walked out of nowhere, scaring me. "Goodness, you scared me!" I laughed. My brother laughed as well. "Fishing?" He handed me a rod. I gladly joined him and we caught lots of fish together. Later, my family and I went to an ice cream shop and bought some ice cream to munch on. Summer is so much fun! I thought, licking my cone. After dinner, my family went to watch the sunset. "Sister?" My brother said, making me jump slightly. "Yes, brother?" I look over at him. "Was this a waste?" I shake my head. "No." I say. "Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time." And with that, we watch the sunset and soon we are in our beds. I smile as I close my eyes. I can't wait for what is gonna happen tomorrow!

wolfie
June 23rd, 2023, 05:14 PM
UnderHaven - #8

"I know you have stuff to do, and you have the whole of the UnderHaven to look after, but you also have to look after yourself, too." The look in Beth’s eyes is so full of insistence and concern that I can’t help but stop what I am doing to consider her words. "Beth," I start to say, but she cuts me off. "No, Zayn. There is no arguing with this. You need a break." I sigh. "I do have stuff to do, and if I don’t, everyone will suffer for it." I know it is pointless. Beth doesn’t give up easily, and the truth is, I do need a break. "I’m sure the UnderHaven won’t explode if you are away for one day. "A day?" I splutter, but she has already snatched up the documents and letters I had been working on and has marched over to my open-face fire, one of the few allowed in the UnderHaven. I mean, there have to be a few perks to leading. "Yes, a whole day." She dangles the papers over the flames; a few of them slip from her fingers and start to burn. The sight gives me unbelievable stress, and I lurch to my feet in protest. "Hey, you don’t know how important those could be!"
She raises a black eyebrow and lets another few papers fall. I slump back down in defeat. "Good!" Beth smiles, "I’ll arrange for some packed food. Find yourself a nice spot in the sun and relax. I don’t want to see you back down here until the sun is setting and some of that tension is out of your shoulders. Trust me, once you get over the initial shock, you’ll enjoy it." Now it is my turn to raise an eyebrow, though she doesn’t see it as she has already spun around and left the room, papers still in her hand. I sigh again and shake my head; get up to change into some more outdoors-appropriate clothes.
I navigate quickly through the underground maze of the UnderHaven.
When at last I step outside, (whose great idea was it to make the entrance so far from my office?) I have to stop and let my eyes adjust to the brightness before I continue. I make straight for a clearing at the top of a somewhat distant hill, one that I have visited many times before. Upon arriving, I settle down, snack on my packed food, read a bit of a book that Beth so thoughtfully gave me, snooze. She was right. I am enjoying my little holiday. It is relaxing, exactly what I needed. Not for a while have I even thought of the UnderHaven and all its work, all the tiring and mind-numbing tasks. The day drifts by, the sound of the bugs and wildlife and the rustling of leaves in the trees filling my ears and my head, blocking out all thought of anything. The day progresses, the sun starts to sink on the horizon, and I am lying still on my back, gazing at the sky. I don’t even want to leave. As my eyes begin to slide closed, I can hear voices softly murmuring things too quiet to hear. Then I fall into a deep and dreamless sleep.