PDA

View Full Version : [Closed] Bird question

nykyrian
January 25th, 2023, 10:19 PM
Would the clan cats know what a Loggerhead Shrike is?
I have only been able to find that they're native to the states, I'm not sure if that includes Maine or not.
(Specifically asking if they would be aware of the birds feeding habits)

occultation
January 25th, 2023, 10:25 PM
I know there was a Redshrike in ShadowClan at one point, so I assume Shrike is okay!

alkaline
January 25th, 2023, 10:27 PM
The loggerhead shrike ranges throughout most of North America from southern Canada to southern Mexico. This species former range was from Maine through New England, south to Virginia, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.
-https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7092.html#:~:text=Distribution%20and%20Habitat,%2C %20Pennsylvania%2C%20and%20West%20Virginia.

Originally the range of the eastern loggerhead shrike extended from Manitoba to New Brunswick and as far south as northeastern Texas, western North Carolina and Maryland. Today, Canada's eastern loggerhead shrike populations are restricted to several small isolated pockets in Ontario.
-https://wildlifepreservation.ca/loggerheadshrike/

Essentially, I have conflicting sources...though it seems to be a general consensus that the shrike used to populate a large amount of the Americas. In my opinion, they may know a shrike but not to the specific subspecies, the same way that canonically the cats knew what hawks were but never said, "That's a red-tailed hawk" or "That's a northern goshawk." Depends, I guess. Totally agree with Cherry there.

Erebus

vellichor
January 26th, 2023, 10:16 AM
// Erebus

As val said, the cats would know general species (hawk, falcon, shrike, etc.) but not specific subspecies. So, in response to your question, the cats would most likely not know the specific feeding habits of the Loggerhead Shrike. If it generally matches the habits of shrikes as a whole, that's more feasible, though!

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any more questions :heartbounce: