PDA

View Full Version : WCOn and Beyond

BEAR.
November 4th, 2022, 08:34 AM
http://www.warriorcatsonline.com/forums/images/donationdrive/update.gif
Hello everyone!

With site festivities coming to a close, I wanted to do a follow-up on how the Donation Drive went. In previous years, we've left our payment open for a few days after WCOn: this was to give people a chance to grab our donation goodies if they weren't able to during the drive.

This year they were taken down with WCOn. If you are interested in donating and didn't get the opportunity, message me and I'll reopen it for you but please know this is totally optional*.

Not only did we reach our goal of $192, we sailed past it and landed past the ocean the Clans are in. In total, we received a whopping $575.76 after Paypal fees!

http://www.warriorcatsonline.com/forums/images/donationdrive/messages.gif

We wanted to take a minute to share our experiences with the community. The support and love the community has shown over the near decade WCO has existed is absolutely heart-warming, and we're grateful to have your support and dedication to this website.

http://www.warriorcatsonline.com/forums/images/donationdrive/message1.png
http://www.warriorcatsonline.com/forums/images/donationdrive/message2.png
http://www.warriorcatsonline.com/forums/images/donationdrive/message3.png

http://www.warriorcatsonline.com/forums/images/donationdrive/fundsused.gif

Having exceeded the goal for one year of hosting by so much, we extended our usual hosting plan to 36 months.

http://www.warriorcatsonline.com/forums/images/donationdrive/invoice22.png

This is discounted from shorter plans (saves around $70 total) and keeps us from repeatedly requesting money every year! Going forward, if we do Donation Drives it will be fundraisers for charities or to help pay for any additional project or feature that needs funding. It will not be for hosting until late 2025.

$20 will be going into the Cbox, to upgrade it to premium. This will give you guys a lot of cool features to help make your chat experience better! :) For those who aren't yet frequenting the Cbox, I highly recommend giving it a shot once this upgrade is in use!

As for the remainder of the money, well. We have $53 and not a single clue on what to do with it! We've come up with some options, but ultimately wanted to ask you, our community where it should go.
* Any additional donations will be going into this funding!

http://www.warriorcatsonline.com/forums/images/donationdrive/options.png

Option 1: Mentions Upgrade

The funds would go towards purchasing the premium version of our Mentions plugin, which would allow for people to mention usergroups (think, @/RiverClan instead of individual people). These usergroups would be opt into like how Alternative Roleplays are, so people who do not want to be mentioned will not be forced into it.

Option 2: Charity

The funds would go to a no-kill animal shelter or rescue. We here at Warrior Cats Online definitely aren't biased and have a kitty preference, but we'll help with other animals too!

Option 3: Development Projects

The development team has a few nifty projects in the works, and the funds would go to helping us expand our possibilities.

Though we can't guarantee anything, these are things we'd like to take a closer look at implementing. This includes, and is not limited to: continuing work on the perk/skill tree system Neptune shared earlier this year (including making it semi-automated with items account-bound), integrating characters onto profiles better (no longer just a simple list/you have to use a biography thread or character site), tagged posts ("post as Bramblewhisker" and all roleplays are nicely consolidated under that name so you can track specific roleplays), replacing our lost birthday feature with a Join Day anniversary, redoing the Open RPs to make it more user friendly, and changing our Kitty Koin system to include actual shops.

Option 4: Theme Packs

We've shared the themes being pushed out for our update, but with this option we'd create 3-5 more themes for you guys to enjoy! Donors will be able to give us palette/color ideas to work with.

Option 5: Other

We only listed what we could think of, and want your thoughts on this! If you have more ideas or just want to share, please comment below! All input is appreciated. :heartbounce:

http://www.warriorcatsonline.com/forums/images/donationdrive/fordonors.png

We are working on getting out your benefits - don't worry!

A category should be appearing very soon for our early access users and we'll be sharing more of our progress on the upcoming updates. :tacoparty:

MockingRabbit
November 4th, 2022, 08:59 AM
Heartwarming messages<3

SpiritWolf_yt
November 4th, 2022, 09:03 AM
i Absolutely enjoyed reading the staffs messages! SO heart warming and collecting $575.76 cents is insane amount of money! Obviously some should go to the shelter!

Dragnoc
November 4th, 2022, 09:18 AM
Charity for the win!

Dirtfur
November 4th, 2022, 09:36 AM
The staffs' messages are very wonderful to read, very heartwarming! :heartbounce: :heart: :heartbounce: so glad to be back here again, everyone here is amazing and wonderful and have a lot of fun talking and role-playing with some of you all :D

Wingnettle
November 4th, 2022, 09:53 AM
Congrats on everyone, especially the staff!

Of course I can not vote other than the option 2. I'd love for the leftovers to go animals :heartbounce:

SpirtTheRat0w0
November 4th, 2022, 10:29 AM
I'd also love for it to go to charity, but I think option 3 is best :D

Characters:

LilacBreeze ( River clan) : British Shorthair w/ Iceberg blue eyes.
Personality: + Friendly, Kind, Thoughtful = Daring, Challenging, Courageous - Stubborn, Forgetful at times, Procrastinator.

Hope y'all roleplay w/ me! •^•

------ Spirt

Doom
November 4th, 2022, 10:51 AM
Well, I sure didn't except I'd wake up and CRY TODAY. This entire announcement was so heartwarming to read, I wish I could crawl through the screen and give you all a big hug! :hug:

I'd be happy for any of the options to be put into action! My personal favorites are the mentions upgrade, development projects, and charity, but I'd like to put in a suggestion of my own. (I didn't think of it until after I voted in the polls, sorry, heh...)

If possible, an upgrade to profiles could be really convenient! Here are several things that I believe could be updated or changed:

Change "Skype Username" to "Discord Username" (or remove it all together, since we already have a discord tag section...) From what I gather, not many people use Skype anymore, so I always think its kinda odd that it's still a communication tag option.
Delete "Location" and "Date of Birth". It was recently discussed on the discord that these two things were publicly removed anyway for safety reasons, so why are they still there as options to edit? Also, I know people loved the birthday bot, so maybe there can be just a section to add your birth month and day for if you so please the birthday bot announcements? Unsure how it will be done, and I'm probably asking a lot, but y'all are wanting ideas, so...!
A way to see previous usernames would be nice. I know this has been requested before, and as someone who changes their username A LOT, I think it would be very helpful to the members that like to keep track on who it who.
Maybe some rearranging of the actual profile layout? I know this is more of a tricky ask for the developers, but I've been getting inspired by other platforms' profile designs and how simplistic they are compared to WCO. Here are a few things that might be fun to change around:

Add a banner! Referring to a profile banner, like something similar to what Twitter has going on. Unsure how you'd rearrange things to make it work, but I thoroughly enjoy the banner + profile peeking halfway over it design!
The current profile layout is actually quite nice, it gives me file management vibes with all the tabs (and i love organized layouts), but if there was a way to make it more simplistic I'd be down in a heartbeat! I know staff has been working hard to change layouts and make site navigation easier, so why not include profiles?
A feature I miss from the old site is how easy it was to see recently posted stuff. It was right there on the page, no navigation required! Nowadays you have to click the statistic tab and then click a link that brings you to a whole separate tab just to see your posts! I partly understand why it's like that, and I think its fine if you're looking to see entire post history, but it would be really nice if the recent posts were displayed on the profile again for easy glance access.

Alright...so I think thats the majority of what I can think of! If profile upgrades are not a valid option, then I completely understand, but I just wanted to throw a couple ideas your way. Thanks again for making such a wonderful community for all of us, I cannot express enough gratitude to everyone here. :heartbounce:

beau
November 4th, 2022, 12:56 PM
this news made me so giddy and joyful, it literally made my day! i am so grateful to staff for all the effort you guys put into making WCOn a success!

thanks to neptune for the absolutely hilarious hunger games event; thank you to apricute for the rather insightful fortune telling tent (and wonderful art gifted to the donors, as well as all the behind the scenes work you do for the site!); thank you to velli for creating the game threads, and for working with birdie on the candy corn hunt; thanks to hope for hosting the trivia - i’m glad to hear you had just as much fun as we participants did; thank you to starfall for hosting ‘name that tune’ and so many wonderful streams!

thank you birdie for your phenomenal work on the staff team and your ever-friendly and patient demeanor; thanks to dino for providing art to the donors and for your wonderfully entertaining characters; thank you to shade for doing an amazing job as a chat moderator and being the absolute best medicine cat apprentice i could have asked for - working with you is truly a joy; and a massive thanks to bear for all of the work and effort you put into not only maintaining this site, but enriching it for the community. wco would not have stood for this long without any of you.

thank you to all of the wonderful streamers who helped keep WCO lively as well! though i couldn’t catch everyone’s streams, all of the ones i saw were delightful and i’ve heard nothing but amazing things about the others.

i am so proud of this community, and so glad i get to be a member of something so special.

occultation
November 4th, 2022, 01:00 PM
Thank you again to the staff for an amazing WCOn! I think making a donation to charity now would be nice, and then perhaps we could have a features drive in 2023? I do have one idea for a future feature:

Dice roll implementation for battles and hunting. For battles, dice could be used to decide the outcome, whether a cat gets injured or dodges the attack, and possibly how severe the resulting wound is. For hunting, dice could determine whether a catch is successful. I’ve seen dice rolls successfully implemented on other written roleplay boards, so I think they could really work here.

BEAR.
November 4th, 2022, 02:21 PM
Delete "Location" and "Date of Birth". It was recently discussed on the discord that these two things were publicly removed anyway for safety reasons, so why are they still there as options to edit?

Sorry for quoting you; I talked about this on Discord but I wanted to address this on site as well for people who aren't able to see what I said.

Yes, they were privated for safety reasons. No, they were not removed: also for safety reasons!

As a staff member, if a user decides to provide this information (as it is opt in!), we want to know if they're a minor or not. With our community split between younger people and adults, we'd like to have an idea of where people fall on the spectrum. That way, if someone is being inappropriate with someone else, we can handle it better and know if we need to report it to authorities.

Location can be handy as well in a similar vein: if people provide one, even a general area, we can use that along with their IP to contact local authorities if they've posted concerning or illegal content on the forums. Safety is always going to be our priority and I would rather have the means and not use it, than to remove the means and need it.

(Also, yes people can be misleading about their age. If the staff has any reason to believe you're an adult, we are going to approach the situation as so. Being a minor also will not protect you if you're being a stinker but it may impact how the investigation into your behavior and activity is addressed.)

stardust.
November 4th, 2022, 05:46 PM
Wow, ofc yesterday Bear(Jae)told us that there would be an announcement. But I never expected it to be this big.

WCO is so great, I have made so many good friends here.

I want a few dedications to the staff(And to a couple good member-friends):

First, the moderators:

Birdie-You do such a good job as a moderator and a medicine cat. You are an excellent member of the community and we hope to see you stay!

Dino-Where to start, glow has been an excellent, engaging and friendly member for 6 years. I haven't even been here for 1! I've never ever seen a mean-spirited post by glow. They also have wonderful characters and role-play very well.

Velli-WCOn was so fun. I was so excited when that week came. And the CBox, the first few days of the Cbox were really fun(Not saying it's fun now ofc), I really hope to see you stay as a staff.

Shade-I don't really know you that well, but I've heard you are very nice from other members! Good luck in your future staff endeavors!

Now the admins:

Hope-WCO Trivia was absolutely outstanding, it felt like the early fun of the Cbox was brought back. WCO Trivia was just awesome, nuff said.

Neptune-Nep does such a good job with administrating, ve really make the site grow and they are very nice to the other members.

Starfall-Another staff member that I don't know too well, but I've heard really good things about you and I hope you continue to make the site grow.

Members:

The CBox regulars-For making my "home" on WCO so enjoyable! It's always fun to chat with you!

Jupi-A friend of mine since I started here, we have continued to grow our friendship for a long time. I've done so many rp's with you and I hope that stays that way.

Celeste-My very first friend on here. I know your not that active anymore but you are still so awesome. We have so many memories together, mentoring Cloverpaw, chatting in the CBox, etc. If your still around by Christmas, I'll be happy.

And finally...

Bear and Apricute(Bill and Dipper)-WCO would not exist without you two. Bear was the one who started the Cbox, the place that I spend most of my time in. And the Fortune Teller Tent that Apricute made was so kewl!

There are also so many other great members out there! And I want to thank those ones as well!

I would really like the idea of donating to charity, but I would also like some more development! That would be kewl!

Wow, that was a lot to type. I loved WCOn so much and it was so fun! Thank you to all the staff who made it fun!

bubble[error].
November 4th, 2022, 07:33 PM
EVERYTHING!!!!!

do everything with the money! everything to benefit the real world and WCO as much as you can!

SplashyLumi
November 6th, 2022, 12:23 PM
BEAR.

How about sharing/spliting the money equally?

Quietheart
November 6th, 2022, 10:38 PM
I think I speak for many of us when I say we appreciate the staff a whole bunch too. You may have been just a bunch of kids when it started, but this is the single greatest forum I've ever been apart of and it would not be so without your continued dedication to it. :kittyface:

SpirtTheRat0w0
November 11th, 2022, 09:17 PM
I think I speak for many of us when I say we appreciate the staff a whole bunch too. You may have been just a bunch of kids when it started, but this is the single greatest forum I've ever been apart of and it would not be so without your continued dedication to it. :kittyface:

Agreed

Salla
November 13th, 2022, 08:42 AM
What's WCON?

carmen
November 13th, 2022, 12:40 PM
Salla
WCOn was an event that occurred during October.

Salla
November 13th, 2022, 12:49 PM
Salla
WCOn was an event that occurred during October.
What was it about?

stardust.
November 14th, 2022, 08:37 AM
What was it about?
Read this (https://warriorcatsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56175) for more details!

TheNyanCatMinecart
November 14th, 2022, 03:07 PM
The messages were so heartwarming and amazing to read, and I can't express how amazing the WCO community is. I remember being a kid fresh from my vast expanse of Roblox Warrior Cats roleplaying wanting to roleplay on something that required longer, typed responses - a forum. I discovered the site, signed up, roleplayed, learned, met the members, and had a lot of fun. There were the stressful moments, too, but the good far outweighed the bad. I'd like to thank all of you - members and staff alike - for making WCO and its community possible!

I wasn't overly active in WCOn (and I forgot to donate... again), but it's awesome to see how many people were/did. When the time rolls around again, I'll try to be more active! The coming updates for WCO are very exciting, and I believe that they'll be very beneficial for this site! I'm wishing you all the best. :heartbounce:

Courage
November 27th, 2022, 12:49 AM
OMG i just logged on for the first time in a while and this is amazing. a mentions update especiallly would be good for leaders and anyone doing an event. Rn not having acces to copy paste would be bad.