PDA

View Full Version : Important Poll!!

SuspiciousMindz
September 25th, 2018, 10:19 AM
Since donations went better than expected, staff had a question...

Should the Chatbox make a reappearance?!?

also.. don't forget to vote for [COTM (http://warriorcatsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18129)] and [SOTM (http://warriorcatsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18131)]

Mango
September 25th, 2018, 10:49 AM
I personally disagree with it because I feel many users get in trouble more often and the rules get broken rather easily. Plus it triggers arguments and feuds between members. I'm certain Doug has some insight against the chat box too...

Dust
September 25th, 2018, 11:11 AM
I think it's worth a shot to bring it back :penguinballoon:

I know everyone wants to avoid the drama that comes with it, but this is a chance for people to learn to keep it OUT of cbox - with the moderation team we have, it shouldn't be a problem. Cbox is a great opportunity for people to set up roleplays and just chat in general. To help keep trolls and such off of the site, why not set a post limit like new members already have?

BEAR.
September 25th, 2018, 11:15 AM
I personally disagree with it because I feel many users get in trouble more often and the rules get broken rather easily. Plus it triggers arguments and feuds between members. I'm certain Doug has some insight against the chat box too...

Since our userbase has changed since it was removed, I personally believe there will be less conflicts on the chat. Will there be arguments and drama? Probably, but that can happen without the chat too-- and honestly things have calmed down a lot.

Worse case scenario is if it becomes a problem again, we can take it away like we did before. It's a privilege to have a chat, not a right.

Mango
September 25th, 2018, 11:16 AM
I think it's worth a shot to bring it back :penguinballoon:

I know everyone wants to avoid the drama that comes with it, but this is a chance for people to learn to keep it OUT of cbox - with the moderation team we have, it shouldn't be a problem. Cbox is a great opportunity for people to set up roleplays and just chat in general. To help keep trolls and such off of the site, why not set a post limit like new members already have?
I'm the reason we lost it....i always was arguing with staff or I would get someone mad at me or I would start the drama...Plus it typically brings up religious beliefs and politics come up which can get bad.

Since our userbase has changed since it was removed, I personally believe there will be less conflicts on the chat. Will there be arguments and drama? Probably, but that can happen without the chat too-- and honestly things have calmed down a lot.

Worse case scenario is if it becomes a problem again, we can take it away like we did before. It's a privilege to have a chat, not a right.
I kinda was the reason we lost the chat.

BEAR.
September 25th, 2018, 11:19 AM
I'm the reason we lost it....i always was arguing with staff or I would get someone mad at me or I would start the drama...Plus it typically brings up religious beliefs and politics come up which can get bad.

One person didn't cause it to be taken away, several individuals over time did.

Religion and politics didn't come up too often when we had it. It was mostly users trying to incite others against the staff, as well as being widely inappropriate for our userbase.

Mango
September 25th, 2018, 11:21 AM
One person didn't cause it to be taken away, several individuals over time did.

Religion and politics didn't come up too often when we had it. It was mostly users trying to incite others against the staff, as well as being widely inappropriate for our userbase.
There was alot of drama never the less, now I will acknowledge that I have matured and don't cause drama, but there still are plenty of younger users who will.

BEAR.
September 25th, 2018, 11:33 AM
There was alot of drama never the less, now I will acknowledge that I have matured and don't cause drama, but there still are plenty of younger users who will.

Not necessarily. Age doesn't define your maturity nor does it determine whether you will initiate drama.

I think you may be comparing the users we had with the users we have too closely. There will probably be some drama now, that's pretty much unavoidable with a chat, however it won't be nearly as bad as before. It'll likely just be minor conflicts between users that can be easily resolved.

As it is, the chat will likely do more good than harm. You can set up roleplays, meet more members, and communicate overall far more easily than you can without it. It will likely bolster site activity.

Doom
September 25th, 2018, 11:38 AM
Honestly, the chatbox is what I miss most about this site.

It brought so much life into the website and it was easier to meet new members and make new friends. It's how I made so many friends on here and grew so attached to this site, and the chatbox is where I hold my most precious memories on here. But ever since it was taken away I felt less connected to the site and my friends. No offense, but the place seems so "quiet" or "dead" now that there's no chatbox. It's almost eerie. I do understand why it was taken away, and I believe a good lesson was learned from doing so. There will always be drama, chatbox or not, but I trust our moderators will be more efficient at keeping it under control since we have way more staff now. It deserves another chance, in my opinion.

Anyway, I think we should bring it back. I'd be so grateful <3

NightWarrior4Life
September 25th, 2018, 01:31 PM
Excuse me are you trying to put me out of business

I do remember how much drama there was in the Cbox but I think it was pretty fun too... I mean, I was one of probably several users that caused the most drama...

While the makeshift chatbox is okay, it doesn't feel as lively as the old one...

Also, if people have arguments on the makeshift one which they have...I have anyway it stays there forever whereas with the old chatbox it just kinda got lost in the sea of messages and it can be forgotten and people can move on...

I feel like it'll make users more connected and friendly with eachother. I know for a fact that I felt as though I had more friends on the site when I could talk in the chatbox...

Plus with a chatbox, you can have group conversations with users rather than using up the PM box or doing "he said she said" on VMs

Me being me, I can very much GUARANTEE there WILL BE DRAMA

Deerlie
September 25th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Yes! I very much eat the chat back! It was a great opertunitu to know each other. It will be hard for people to find other messages, but that’s good. In case there is more drama. :3

shamerock wolf
September 25th, 2018, 02:37 PM
I believe it should be back because me and many many manyyyy others never actually have the privilege meaning we didn’t actually do any drama and cause any of it. I think it would be rather nice to have a privilege that the ppl before us did. There is a-lot we never got to do actually. I’m just saying if you do add it back, maybe you could make it so staff can ban and block ppl who start drama for some time until they are trusted again or maybe or just permanently

Plzzzzzzzz add it back:o

Bracken12
September 25th, 2018, 03:32 PM
I personally loved the chat box. It was on when I first started, and it made getting to know people a lot easier. Sure, it was a bit of drama, but that tended to blow over pretty quick. The conversations were fun, and it gave new users a chance to get to know everyone really quick.

Branch of Life
September 25th, 2018, 03:41 PM
The chat box was before my time....on WCO of course but,I would still love to have it back.

Leucos
September 25th, 2018, 03:45 PM
Um..I wasn't here when the chatbox was born ^^' this may be a stupid question but is it what I think it is,Like...instead of having to use an individuals profile text box to communicate everyone can just use that one? ( i hope I make sense )
Suspiciousmindz

SuspiciousMindz
September 25th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Um..I wasn't here when the chatbox was born ^^' this may be a stupid question but is it what I think it is,Like...instead of having to use an individuals profile text box to communicate everyone can just use that one? ( i hope I make sense )
Suspiciousmindz
Yep!

BEAR.
September 25th, 2018, 05:12 PM
I believe it should be back because me and many many manyyyy others never actually have the privilege meaning we didn’t actually do any drama and cause any of it. I think it would be rather nice to have a privilege that the ppl before us did. There is a-lot we never got to do actually. I’m just saying if you do add it back, maybe you could make it so staff can ban and block ppl who start drama for some time until they are trusted again or maybe or just permanently

Plzzzzzzzz add it back:o

We did ban and block users, however part of the issues is some were able to get around it solely to continue causing issues.

.:Virgo:.
September 25th, 2018, 06:08 PM
I wasn't here while it was active but I wouldn't mind it back.

Static
September 25th, 2018, 06:26 PM
I never used it much,but when I first arrived,people there told me how to post and where to find things,so I really liked the chatbox and would love to have it back.I understand why staff took it diwn.,but maybe now people know it can be taken down,they will not try and start things?

EmberMoon ☆NightClan★
September 25th, 2018, 06:32 PM
I Didint Show up when thare was one But i Think thar are Valid Pounts For Each Reson So I'll Say We Should Take it If given As A 2ed Chance to try, Like No asined Tables At School Lunch ^v^

tye
September 25th, 2018, 06:40 PM
ohjeez.

sure, if drama happens again then boop-

remove.

shamerock wolf
September 26th, 2018, 12:24 PM
We did ban and block users, however part of the issues is some were able to get around it solely to continue causing issues.
oh..... just....think about it

:blue:
September 26th, 2018, 06:56 PM
personally, i am indifferent to the chatbox coming back, but if it were to come back, i would like to see that it doesn't lag typing on certain devices, such as mobile and tablets, as that was a problem i constantly had back when we had the chatbox
it would also be nice to have stricter rules for the chatbox, so we could avoid the drama that constantly flooded the chatbox, but without severely limiting speech

anyways, that was just my two cents-

BEAR.
September 26th, 2018, 07:09 PM
personally, i am indifferent to the chatbox coming back, but if it were to come back, i would like to see that it doesn't lag typing on certain devices, such as mobile and tablets, as that was a problem i constantly had back when we had the chatbox
it would also be nice to have stricter rules for the chatbox, so we could avoid the drama that constantly flooded the chatbox, but without severely limiting speech

anyways, that was just my two cents-

Unfortunately there wouldn't be much we could do about the lagging as that is device specific. If Cbox was reused, I could reach out to the company and see if they have any suggestions or fixes for your lag.

As for the stricter rules-- we don't want to be suffocating or overly harsh (we try not to be!), and I thought the rules we had were fine overall (although they likely need a touch up since it's been a year.)

With that said, if you don't mind I'd like to hear your thoughts on what stricter rules you would like to see implemented. (And if you're more comfortable talking in private, we can always move this to PM! Just let me know and I'll turn mine back on.)

Momotaro
September 27th, 2018, 02:20 AM
i hope it comes back,

it made the site more lively, for better or worse.

:blue:
September 27th, 2018, 04:59 AM
Unfortunately there wouldn't be much we could do about the lagging as that is device specific. If Cbox was reused, I could reach out to the company and see if they have any suggestions or fixes for your lag.

As for the stricter rules-- we don't want to be suffocating or overly harsh (we try not to be!), and I thought the rules we had were fine overall (although they likely need a touch up since it's been a year.)

With that said, if you don't mind I'd like to hear your thoughts on what stricter rules you would like to see implemented. (And if you're more comfortable talking in private, we can always move this to PM! Just let me know and I'll turn mine back on.)

that would be greatly appreciated, thank you !

that's understandable, of course, i just felt as though, even with the rules we had, there was still a lot of drama, so there might have been a need to be stricter, and have stricter rules.

and i'm open to doing that c: ( though i would perfer if i pm'ed them to you, if it isn't too much trouble ? )

Mango
September 27th, 2018, 05:45 AM
I wouldn’t mind if you find a chat box provider that allows you do things like

this (https://goo.gl/images/WXMEj5)

As that function keeps it more organized instead of simply copying the link and then someone has to copy it instead of simply selecting it, that was a problem with the old chat box.

Though I do miss some things that only could happen with the chatbox...

1. Me convincing a staff member (don’t remember which one) to change the words ‘chat box’ above the chat to ‘cat box’ for about a week

2. How I kept repeating how much I hated the color pink and doug would edit my profile and turn it all pink (like the color choices) and I’d edit it back, then doug would re-edit it back...that was a fun thing.

3. It did make asking staff questions easier

Cons

1. Drama

2. It makes answering RPs harder because you don’t want to miss anything in the chatbox while you are answering a RP

Here’s my more neutral 2 cents about this.

fresh
September 27th, 2018, 08:15 AM
i think it's definitely worth a shot! no harm can come from trying. while there's obviously been lots of issues in the past, the chat box is a great way for new members to get introduced and welcomed without having to make threads, which some of then don't even know how to do. it's also an extremely easy way to find roleplays with a variety of members instead of just the same few people every time. i'm definitely on board! it'll be a nice christmas present :3

Brunch
September 27th, 2018, 05:32 PM
I'd actually be pretty thrilled to see it come back. When it was here, I didn't use it as much as I should have before it was all gone. I did go in there a couple of times, and when I did, I had lots of fun. Though I know the most common complaint is that there was drama, there's also drama everywhere else too, it's just an easier, quicker way to communicate, so obviously there would seem like there's more drama. Of course since drama is part of our everyday life, and always will be, we have to learn to deal with it. There need to be rules, of course, to prohibit it, but that shouldn't stop us from having fun.

Zero
September 28th, 2018, 06:47 PM
I didn't use it very much, but I remember that it was fun to see what everyone was talking about.

Definitely will make finding people to rp with a lot easier too.

Static
September 28th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Just a question,when will it come back if it is voted back?

Sorry if this sounds pushy.Just curious.Didn't know if you had to pay the company or not,or how hard it is to add it back.

BEAR.
September 28th, 2018, 07:17 PM
Just a question,when will it come back if it is voted back?

Sorry if this sounds pushy.Just curious.Didn't know if you had to pay the company or not,or how hard it is to add it back.

Shouldn't take too long, but it does require payment (only takes a couple of minutes.)

Mango
September 28th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Since the votes do seem to suggest it is coming back, on what date would it return on and approximately what time? (I want to be the first to post it in), also would our old accounts for the chatbox still function or would we need to make new accounts?

BEAR.
September 28th, 2018, 09:17 PM
Since the votes do seem to suggest it is coming back, on what date would it return on and approximately what time? (I want to be the first to post it in), also would our old accounts for the chatbox still function or would we need to make new accounts?

Can't tell you dates or time. (Also, good chance staff'll beat you anyway.)

While we're using the same company, I outright killed our old account over a year ago so this is a new one. You'll need to create a new account but I believe now you can link yourself to your site account.

Mango
September 28th, 2018, 09:32 PM
Can't tell you dates or time. (Also, good chance staff'll beat you anyway.)

While we're using the same company, I outright killed our old account over a year ago so this is a new one. You'll need to create a new account but I believe now you can link yourself to your site account.
Any chance they'll allow links to work yet as I do recall having to try to copy a link before someone replied as you couldn't just click the link.

BEAR.
September 28th, 2018, 09:34 PM
Any chance they'll allow links to work yet as I do recall having to try to copy a link before someone replied as you couldn't just click the link.

Yep, that should work now!

Mango
September 28th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Yep, that should work now!
I'm guessing the don't have the globe with the paperclip option. I don't think they have underline, bold, and italics either.

BEAR.
September 28th, 2018, 11:15 PM
I'm guessing the don't have the globe with the paperclip option. I don't think they have underline, bold, and italics either.

You just paste the link and it works.

As for the formatting, no. BBcode is disabled for chat since we can't limit the options and when people used some of it (scrolling, color, enlarging font) it hurt peoples' eyes and messed with the chat layout.

dino.
September 29th, 2018, 04:06 PM
I think it should be brought back. When I first joined roughly a year and a half ago, the chatbox was my main place to go and talk. It was easy to make friends and meet other users, and to have group conversations. It was a place where we could connect with one another.

Of course, if an argument came up, it wasn't like one could just exit the thread, because it was always there on the right side of the site. But, unlike the forums, the argument would soon get buried and forgotten in a sea of messages.

If the cbox were to be brought back to life, it would be a sort of second chance for those who were immature at one point or another - I'm not saying all the time - and for all us, for that matter. A chance to redeem ourselves and prove we can be trusted with such a privilege:ringbounce:

BEAR.
October 1st, 2018, 03:41 AM
The chat has been readded, but it is not accessible to new members (under 15 posts.) You will have to reach 15 posts in order to see and use the chat box.