PDA

View Full Version : ???!!!

Seraphon
March 11th, 2018, 05:30 PM
Is it just me or is Dovewing's, Bumblestripe's, and Tigerheart(star)'s relationship based off of Bella, Jacob, and Edward from Twilight? XD

red_inactive
March 11th, 2018, 05:48 PM
Holy--
I never thought about that before!
Woah
My life has changed...

Fawn
March 11th, 2018, 05:48 PM
the point when you’re so bad at writing romance that you get inspiration from twilight

red_inactive
March 11th, 2018, 05:55 PM
the point when you’re so bad at writing romance that you get inspiration from twilight
Haha
At least Stephanie Myer could actually write decently, even if the storyline was trash.

Fawn
March 11th, 2018, 06:11 PM
i realized my earlier post was kind of a lazy response and want to elaborate on what i meant by that.

although i am highly entertained by the idea of their love triangles being a feline twilight knockoff, i don't really think that's the case. i believe that theory gives stephenie meyer too much credit because her version of the love triangle plot was merely a regurgitation of what authors have done before her, albeit with little/no variation to make it interesting. if it's at all influenced by her work, it's probably more likely because that's a staple of the YA (romance) genre and twilight was (is?) popular.

as for erin hunter's love triangles... whew. anyone can feel free to correct me if saying this is out of line (admittedly, i haven't read some of the newer books and it's been a while since i read the old), but their love triangles are always the same problem. it seems protagonist is desired by [character 1] and [character 2] and they give protagonist an obviously 'right' choice that they'll end up with regardless of what obstacle they try to give that couple*. it's the same generic formula in their love triangles, and they've reused it time and time again.
*a counterpoint: bluestar/oakheart. it's true they didn't actually 'end up' together while they were living, but erin hunter has clarified they are mates in starclan, so i'll still consider that the inevitable "happy ending."

consider this: hanna-barbera created a hit show in the late 1960's, that show being the classic scooby doo. it was a huge success for the company, so they spent the next 20 years making ridiculously bad copies of their own show to attempt to hold onto that fame. [look at all the knockoffs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_works_produced_by_Hanna-Barbera_Productions)] this is what i think happened to erin hunter's love (triangle) plots-- it was received well when the series was insanely popular, so they keep recycling that plot and tossing it in the books to add drama. i want to say it's kind of insulting to assume they can throw any garbage at the fandom and they'll love it, but i suppose that's why they've lost the majority of their audience.

also i realize i relate the struggles of the erin hunter books to tv shows frequently (e.g. encountering seasonal rot/plot recycling) but i think it's the most appropriate parallel since they're putting out books in what's essentially an episodic format.

Seraphon
March 13th, 2018, 04:27 PM
@Rose Queen
That's true X3

Rubinaito
XD

Bracken12
June 5th, 2018, 02:22 PM
*Looks at Dovewing, Tigerheart, and Bumblestripe*
*Looks at the twilight movies*
*Looks at Vampire Diaries*
*Looks at every single vampire romance EVER*
*Looks at Silverstream and Graystripe*
*Looks at Romeo and Juilet*
*Looks at every single Disney movie EVER*

OH MY GOSH YOUR RIGHT!!!!
*holds holy water and a stake*
All we need now is Vampire Shadowclan and Werewolf Thunderclan.