Last post by LuvWarriorCats247
Today 03:43 PM

Old January 3rd, 2018, 03:58 AM
Falling In

My Mood: Thirsty

Default Re: SkyClan Medicine Cat's Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmer View Post
The apprentice woke up, much to Shinefang's relief. But there was no mistaking it, the scent of death was there.
The old tom brought his scared muzzle closer and sniffed the top of her head, and moved down along her back. As he neared her tail, the scent grew stronger. Without another moment's hesitation, the medicine cat unsheathed his claws. "Look straight ahead and tell me when you feel something." Shinefand placed his paw south of the injury on Gorsepaw's tail and pricked it with the tips of his claws, seeing if the shecat could feel anything at all in her tail.
Gorsepaw turned the other way, closed her eyes too although it wasn't necassary. She felt a little uncomfortable as she sensed The older Tom sniffing all over her body. Gorsepaw could feel a little bit of scratching at the very bottom of her tail (where her tail connected to her body) but the rest was pretty numb still. "Something tells me the numbness is more than shock or swelling...isn't it ShineFang?" She asked, a little sadness in her voice.
Old January 5th, 2018, 07:54 PM
Sigh...

My Mood: Hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWarrior4Life View Post
Gorsepaw turned the other way, closed her eyes too although it wasn't necassary. She felt a little uncomfortable as she sensed The older Tom sniffing all over her body. Gorsepaw could feel a little bit of scratching at the very bottom of her tail (where her tail connected to her body) but the rest was pretty numb still. "Something tells me the numbness is more than shock or swelling...isn't it ShineFang?" She asked, a little sadness in her voice.
Shinefang stepped off the younger cat's take, his heart heavy as he saw that she wasn't reacting to the sensation. The herbs had worked on the swelling, but this injury was beyond simply herbs. He took a breath as he prepared to share the new with her, heaving a sigh instead. "Yeah... it's worse than I thought. Do you smell that death scent in the air? It's your tail. The accident must have damaged it too much and it died." The old tom shuffled his paws, but he looked the little shecat in the eye as he told her the worst part. "I have to cut off a part of your tail. If I don't, it will start to rot, you'll get a bad infection, then die."

Old January 6th, 2018, 04:30 AM
Falling In

Quote:
Shinefang stepped off the younger cat's take, his heart heavy as he saw that she wasn't reacting to the sensation. The herbs had worked on the swelling, but this injury was beyond simply herbs. He took a breath as he prepared to share the new with her, heaving a sigh instead. "Yeah... it's worse than I thought. Do you smell that death scent in the air? It's your tail. The accident must have damaged it too much and it died." The old tom shuffled his paws, but he looked the little shecat in the eye as he told her the worst part. "I have to cut off a part of your tail. If I don't, it will start to rot, you'll get a bad infection, then die."
Gorsepaw felt sick. Her yellow-green eyes were watering. "It's Dead?!" she whimpered, trembling. Then as ShineFang explained further she felt dizzy. "Die?!" GorsePaw closed her eyes, the den spinning around her, struggling to get air. The Molly laid back down in the nest. Gorsepaw opened her eyes and looked up at the Tom. "Okay. I understand. It's for my health. Okay. I'm ready. Tell me when." She panted.
Old January 6th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
Gorsepaw felt sick. Her yellow-green eyes were watering. "It's Dead?!" she whimpered, trembling. Then as ShineFang explained further she felt dizzy. "Die?!" GorsePaw closed her eyes, the den spinning around her, struggling to get air. The Molly laid back down in the nest. Gorsepaw opened her eyes and looked up at the Tom. "Okay. I understand. It's for my health. Okay. I'm ready. Tell me when." She panted.
Shinefang looked at Gorsepaw, his mind whirling as he tried to formulate a plan. Whatever he did, he would have to do soon. If he waited until morning, the apprentice could already be showing signs of infection. and the way she was trusting him so completely... it was too much like Acornpaw. He had told the young tom that he would be fine by morning. He had been wrong. The head injury that he was sure was a minor problem had killed him in his sleep, and he had drifted off to sleep certain that he'd wake up the next day. Shinefang had told him he would, and Acornpaw had trusted Shinefang. He was the medicine cat after all. He was supposed to know these things. But Shinefang had had no mentor, no training. He had just picked up what he knew during his many trips to the medicine den during his long career as a warrior. And here he was again, having to flail through a life or death decision for an apprentice who trusted him completely. The tom grit his teeth, trying to sort out his plan. The tail would have to be removed, that was a give in. But how? And what could he give the apprentice to manage the pain? And there would be pain. More than the shecat could imagine. "It'll be a minute," he said to the apprentice. "I just need to get you something to help... with the pain." Shinefang slipped out of his den and searching quickly, grabbed a mouse from the freshkill pile. He dropped in front of the apprentice along with the rest of the willow bark scrap he'd been eating. "The bark will help with the pain, and the mouse is to make the bark easier to swallow. Shinefang only had one water-soaked mossball left. He placed that in front of the apprentice too. "This is to wash it all down."

Old January 6th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsurdJinx View Post
@king kaleb! [in case you wanna see the aftermath]
@Charmer

Juniperpaw watched Daydream go with a fallen expression on her face, silently cursing herself for her never-ending streak of mistakes. She was thinking about everything that's happened in the last few moons when she was brought back to reality by Nightpaw who started after Daydream but was stopped by Shinefang. Juniperpaw looked from Shinefang to Nightpaw, and couldn't bear the look that was pained on the warrior apprentice's face. Though she felt the urge to crumple to the ground and wail for everything that's happened, she instead approached Nightpaw with a soft smile. ``It's okay, Nightpaw,`` Juniperpaw reassured in what she hoped was a comforting tone, ``Daydream just needs time to think. Now, let's gather those herbs. I'll help you carry them back to ShadowClan, if you'd like.``

As she brushed past Nightpaw, touching her tail-tip to the ShadowClan cat's shoulder, Juniperpaw avoided the gazes of the remaining cats in the den. She feared that if she looked at them, they'd be able to see her hurt or maybe she'd be able to see their disappointment. Clearing her throat and blinking away threatening tears, Juniperpaw called over her shoulder to Shinefang as she began to paw the herbs into a neater pile, ``Will you be alright here without me, Shinefang?`` The old medicine cat had just lost a patient, after all, and Juniperpaw could definitely relate to the pain that came with it. She wasn't sure if she should leave the older tom with his thoughts.
@king kaleb! (for stalking)

Nightpaw nodded silently, taking comfort in Juniperpaw's words though she could see she was bothered as well. She set to work gathering the herbs that Shadowclan medicine cat had left, with Juniperpaw there to help. At Juniperpaw's offer, she struggled with how to reply. She wasn't sure what the best thing to say was. Would Daydream run off and not want to talk to her either if she showed up at the border with Juniperpaw? Would they have the chance to talk out what happened? What would make this situation better? Worse? In the end, Nightpaw settled for, "I think I can carry it all on my own, but you can help if you want to."

Shinefang shook his head at Juniperpaw's questions. "It's not the first time I've lost a cat. It won't be the last. I'll be just fine," Shinefang replied coolly. And he was certain this was true. Even if this had rattled him, he'd recover. Just like every death, he'd just need time. "They're going to be fine," he said to the Riverclan cat, knowing that in spite of her stoic demeanor, no cat liked to hurt their friends, and there was bound to be guilt. "They can't stay mad forever. They'll cool down once the pain eases." He grabbed a large beach leave off his shelf and placed it with the shecats, along with a wrapped packet of poppy seeds. "They took hardly any, and I have them to spare," he said.

Old January 7th, 2018, 01:13 AM
Falling In

Quote:
Shinefang looked at Gorsepaw, his mind whirling as he tried to formulate a plan. Whatever he did, he would have to do soon. If he waited until morning, the apprentice could already be showing signs of infection. and the way she was trusting him so completely... it was too much like Acornpaw. He had told the young tom that he would be fine by morning. He had been wrong. The head injury that he was sure was a minor problem had killed him in his sleep, and he had drifted off to sleep certain that he'd wake up the next day. Shinefang had told him he would, and Acornpaw had trusted Shinefang. He was the medicine cat after all. He was supposed to know these things. But Shinefang had had no mentor, no training. He had just picked up what he knew during his many trips to the medicine den during his long career as a warrior. And here he was again, having to flail through a life or death decision for an apprentice who trusted him completely. The tom grit his teeth, trying to sort out his plan. The tail would have to be removed, that was a give in. But how? And what could he give the apprentice to manage the pain? And there would be pain. More than the shecat could imagine. "It'll be a minute," he said to the apprentice. "I just need to get you something to help... with the pain." Shinefang slipped out of his den and searching quickly, grabbed a mouse from the freshkill pile. He dropped in front of the apprentice along with the rest of the willow bark scrap he'd been eating. "The bark will help with the pain, and the mouse is to make the bark easier to swallow. Shinefang only had one water-soaked mossball left. He placed that in front of the apprentice too. "This is to wash it all down."
"Thanks" she mewed and tucked into the bark right away. She would take a bite of the willow bark, a bite of the mouse, a bite of the bark, a bite of the mouse and so on. Once she'd devoured both the prey and the herb, Gorsepaw lapped up the water from the moss ball. The wood had felt rough and scratchy on her throat and it gave the mouse a strange taste but a scratchy throat and a tangy mouse were the least of Gorsepaw's problems right now. "Okay, what next?" The brown tabby anxiously shuffled her paws.
Old January 7th, 2018, 08:16 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
"Thanks" she mewed and tucked into the bark right away. She would take a bite of the willow bark, a bite of the mouse, a bite of the bark, a bite of the mouse and so on. Once she'd devoured both the prey and the herb, Gorsepaw lapped up the water from the moss ball. The wood had felt rough and scratchy on her throat and it gave the mouse a strange taste but a scratchy throat and a tangy mouse were the least of Gorsepaw's problems right now. "Okay, what next?" The brown tabby anxiously shuffled her paws.
Shinefang watched as the apprentice ate the bark and mouse and moved to his herb stores and pulled down a leaf packet filled with poppy seeds. He hesitated. He had only recently learned how to use the willow bark for one of his dreams where he spoke to Thunderhowl in Starclan. He wasn't completely sure if it was ok for him to give the apprentice poppy seeds as well. He knew what he hoped the two herbs would do, dull the pain and perhaps put the apprentice in a state of sleep, but he didn't know for sure that it would work out that way. He had no mentor to ask for guidance. He was on his own, and if he screwed this up, the blood of this apprentice would be on his paws. Shaking the thought from his head, he brought the whole packet over to the apprentice, opened it, and began to count out the seeds. One wouldn't be nearly enough. Two. Three. Four would be enough for an apprentice in pain...but she's going to be in a lot of pain. Shinefang counted out six seeds and pushed them toward the apprentice. "If this works, best case scenario, you'll sleep. Fitfully, but it may make memories of losing your tail fuzzy. Worst case, it'll make you feel... more peaceful. Perhaps even a little giddy." Thinking of one more herb, Shinefang pulled down a paw full of thyme leaves. "For shock. Just in case," he said, waiting for the apprentice to take the rest of the herbs. Hoping he was close enough to right about this treatment that this apprentice would see daylight.

Old January 7th, 2018, 09:24 PM
it be like that sometimes

My Mood: Unpredictable

Quote:
Once when Shinefang had been an apprentice, he had groomed himself a little too vigorously to impress his fellow apprentices. The shecat's in particular. The result was a hairball the size of a mouse. Not only that, but earlier that same day, he'd eaten a raven and swallowed a bone whole by mistake. The result was a very painful hairball that brought a bone all the way back up his throat for company. That experience had been more pleasant than this conversation. He wanted to groan out loud in frustration. Elaborate? Didn't this shecat know how to have a conversation? Obviously he knew she was the deputy and what her name was. The sister he hadn't known about at least. He could go from there. "I have a dead sister too. And two dead brothers. And two dead parents. And a dead mentor. Dead mate. It happens a lot at my age," he said with a nonchalant shrug. Shinefang didn't mention his kits. He doubted she wanted to know anyway and he didn't feel like sharing such a hard loss with a cat that he disliked more and more the longer he spent with her. Frankly, now that he'd said it, he was angry at himself for mentioning his mate, Slatepelt. He never talked about her. He didn't want to think about her anymore than he already had. It was easier said than done now that visits to Starclan were becoming a regular part of his nights. Clearing his throat to hide his discomfort swept his tail along the ground. "We'll it's been nice and all, Auroraflame, but these herbs aren't going to count themsleves and I should really see what Ebonyfrost left for me to work with," he said, turning away from her to suddenly become very busy with the herb stores, signalling with the only shred of politeness he could muster that it was time for their conversation to end.
The she-cat was actually great at conversations, but she wasn't particularly interested in making this conversation a good one. Auroraflame was loud and confident when she wanted to be, and it wasn't hard for her to start up a conversation. She just needed the other cat to be just as willing to continue the conversation. She hated it when other cats didn't even try to help her start up a conversation. That was just plain rude. She didn't like awkward silences if it was with a cat that she wasn't particularly familiar with. She didn't mind awkward silences when she was with a large group of friends though. That was probably more funny than it was awkward.
Auroraflame had already stopped trying to make this conversation a good one. Things had gone downhill quickly and she wasn't even going to bother. As the medicine cat made a list of his dead relations, the deputy formed a frown. She wasn't sure what she should say to that. It'd be wrong of her to say something that made her sound like she didn't care, but at the same time she wasn't sure if this tom deserved her comforting words. He was a clan mate, no matter how much she might find herself disliking him and she couldn't be totally unkind. "Oh...." Apparently that was the best that she could muster. Out of curiosity, she wanted to ask him about whether he missed them or not. The way he spoke about them, it sounded as if though it was no big deal. Taken from personal experience, the Bombay knew that it was a big deal. At first, she hadn't been sure of how to deal with Lioncry's death but she was fine now. She'd recovered now but she was still iffy about people talking of the battle which had killed her sister. "I have a dead mentor too," she continued, her face solemn and voice quiet. She missed Rainpebble a lot. She had been like a second mother to her and she had taught her so much. Despite what the wise she-cat had told her in the moments before her death, the deputy still wanted to avenge her mentor. The she-cat considered asking him her questions, but she wasn't sure if she actually wanted to continue talking to him.
"Uh right. I have some patrols to sort out," she said, her voice returning to normal once she'd cleared her throat. She rose to her paws and with a dip of her head, whipped around and left the den. She had no patrols to sort out, she just wanted to get out of there.

Enjoy the good times <3 because something terrible is probably about to happen

Old January 8th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Falling In

Quote:
Shinefang watched as the apprentice ate the bark and mouse and moved to his herb stores and pulled down a leaf packet filled with poppy seeds. He hesitated. He had only recently learned how to use the willow bark for one of his dreams where he spoke to Thunderhowl in Starclan. He wasn't completely sure if it was ok for him to give the apprentice poppy seeds as well. He knew what he hoped the two herbs would do, dull the pain and perhaps put the apprentice in a state of sleep, but he didn't know for sure that it would work out that way. He had no mentor to ask for guidance. He was on his own, and if he screwed this up, the blood of this apprentice would be on his paws. Shaking the thought from his head, he brought the whole packet over to the apprentice, opened it, and began to count out the seeds. One wouldn't be nearly enough. Two. Three. Four would be enough for an apprentice in pain...but she's going to be in a lot of pain. Shinefang counted out six seeds and pushed them toward the apprentice. "If this works, best case scenario, you'll sleep. Fitfully, but it may make memories of losing your tail fuzzy. Worst case, it'll make you feel... more peaceful. Perhaps even a little giddy." Thinking of one more herb, Shinefang pulled down a paw full of thyme leaves. "For shock. Just in case," he said, waiting for the apprentice to take the rest of the herbs. Hoping he was close enough to right about this treatment that this apprentice would see daylight.
The apprentice ate the herbs eagerly, trusting ShineFang entirely. It took a little while to kick in but when it did, GorsePaw felt sleepy again and curled up in her nest, closing her eyes. She wasn't really asleep. She could still hear and feel (not including her tail) perfectly well. The apprentice knew that the medicine cat wanted to tug at her tail but she couldn't help dozing off.

GrouseStar stood in front of Gorsepaw and DouglasPaw, towering over them. I guess now we're reporting to the leader she thought unconsciously. "GrouseStar! We want to report two Dusk Syndicate cats at the border!" DouglasPaw mewed. Gorsepaw stayed silent for a while, just nodding and shaking her head in agreement to her brother's statements. "Did you see what they were doing?" GrouseStar asked. Gorsepaw decided to answer this time. "yes! It was a Tom and a she-cat fighting eachother! I have a good memory of what they looked like too. The she-cat was black with bright blue eyes and the Tom white with black patches and yellow eyes." The tabby apprentice sat up straight, puffing he chest out, proud of their findings. "They spoke to us too...but I don't remember what they said." DouglasPaw mewed nervously. Gorsepaw couldn't remember what they'd said either-she was only going off of what she's seen and heard in her dream the last time she slept in the medicine den. "I will ask patrols to keep an eye out." the leader purred "Let me know if you spot or scent them again." the two apprentices nodded then dashed off into the nursery.

Gorsepaw was woken by a pain in her tail. Oh right, it's dead. How come I feel pain then? I had the herbs and if most of it is numbed by nerve damage... She didn't dwell on it too long, she just looked around for ShineFang.
Old January 9th, 2018, 06:32 PM
i love sussy the bestest

My Mood: Cool

Quote:
@king kaleb! (for stalking)

Nightpaw nodded silently, taking comfort in Juniperpaw's words though she could see she was bothered as well. She set to work gathering the herbs that Shadowclan medicine cat had left, with Juniperpaw there to help. At Juniperpaw's offer, she struggled with how to reply. She wasn't sure what the best thing to say was. Would Daydream run off and not want to talk to her either if she showed up at the border with Juniperpaw? Would they have the chance to talk out what happened? What would make this situation better? Worse? In the end, Nightpaw settled for, "I think I can carry it all on my own, but you can help if you want to."

Shinefang shook his head at Juniperpaw's questions. "It's not the first time I've lost a cat. It won't be the last. I'll be just fine," Shinefang replied coolly. And he was certain this was true. Even if this had rattled him, he'd recover. Just like every death, he'd just need time. "They're going to be fine," he said to the Riverclan cat, knowing that in spite of her stoic demeanor, no cat liked to hurt their friends, and there was bound to be guilt. "They can't stay mad forever. They'll cool down once the pain eases." He grabbed a large beach leave off his shelf and placed it with the shecats, along with a wrapped packet of poppy seeds. "They took hardly any, and I have them to spare," he said.
@king kaleb!

Juniperpaw wasn't sure if Daydream wanted to see her so soon, especially not after their recent... obstacle. And if Nightpaw decided she could carry it all, then she was sure the warrior apprentice could handle it. She nodded briskly, and flashing Nightpaw a teasing smile she responded, ``I suppose I'll entrust you with the care of these herbs.`` Nightpaw had absolutely no involvement in the tension between Juniperpaw and Daydream and she had absolutely no intentions of dragging the poor apprentice into it. She would do her best to keep the mood of the situation as far away from Nightpaw as possible.

She turned her attention to Shinefang and actually felt sadness flood her at his response. It's not the first time I've lost a cat. It won't be the last. Juniperpaw wouldn't wish such pain on anyone, not even her greatest enemy. Then she wondered if Shinefang spoke from his experience as both a warrior and a medicine cat or just a medicine cat. Is this what being a medicine cat would mean? Heartbreak and guilt at every turn? The negativity overpowered the positivity, Juniperpaw found, and she wasn't sure if she could deal with saving or failing lives as well as the issues of her personal life. I wish Geckoleaf were here to help me. Juniperpaw had never felt comfortable sharing everything with Daydream - maybe because they obviously were struggling with their own issues? But maybe, just maybe, she could confide in Shinefang.

When the older tomcat spoke of Daydream, Juniperpaw could only turn away and flick her ears in acknowledgement. She was sure this event would always haunt her, even if Daydream decided to forgive her. When the subject changed, Juniperpaw took a moment before turning back. ``Will you be alright without me, Nightpaw? I was thinking I'd stay behind with Shinefang for a short while.`` Juniperpaw cast the older tom a brief, questioning glance as she wondered if it would be okay for her to stay a little longer. She believed him when he said he'd be fine alone, but she knew she wouldn't be. She didn't want to return to RiverClan where her den was empty and she'd be allowed to wallow in her misery. At least with Shinefang she'd be kept busy with his jokes about his `handsome appearance`, which never failed to amuse her. And perhaps she'd find the courage to tell him about her losses and how to cope with them.

Last edited by AbsurdJinx; January 9th, 2018 at 06:32 PM.