Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Archives > Old Topics > Main Roleplay > SkyClan

Notice
Are you a master egg-finder? Check out the Spring Egg Hunt!
Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader: Dawnstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lostspark
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Mossfreckle

RiverClan
Leader:
Birdsnow
Deputy: Fadingsun
Medicine Cat: None

Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

WindClan
Leader: Twilightstar
Deputy: Fallownose
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
The Wrath of Water and...
Last post by starry
Today 02:01 PM
Learning from the Best [...
Last post by Myling
Today 01:57 PM

Old January 9th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Sigh...

My Mood: Hopeful

Default Re: SkyClan Medicine Cat's Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWarrior4Life View Post
The apprentice ate the herbs eagerly, trusting ShineFang entirely. It took a little while to kick in but when it did, GorsePaw felt sleepy again and curled up in her nest, closing her eyes. She wasn't really asleep. She could still hear and feel (not including her tail) perfectly well. The apprentice knew that the medicine cat wanted to tug at her tail but she couldn't help dozing off.

GrouseStar stood in front of Gorsepaw and DouglasPaw, towering over them. I guess now we're reporting to the leader she thought unconsciously. "GrouseStar! We want to report two Dusk Syndicate cats at the border!" DouglasPaw mewed. Gorsepaw stayed silent for a while, just nodding and shaking her head in agreement to her brother's statements. "Did you see what they were doing?" GrouseStar asked. Gorsepaw decided to answer this time. "yes! It was a Tom and a she-cat fighting eachother! I have a good memory of what they looked like too. The she-cat was black with bright blue eyes and the Tom white with black patches and yellow eyes." The tabby apprentice sat up straight, puffing he chest out, proud of their findings. "They spoke to us too...but I don't remember what they said." DouglasPaw mewed nervously. Gorsepaw couldn't remember what they'd said either-she was only going off of what she's seen and heard in her dream the last time she slept in the medicine den. "I will ask patrols to keep an eye out." the leader purred "Let me know if you spot or scent them again." the two apprentices nodded then dashed off into the nursery.

Gorsepaw was woken by a pain in her tail. Oh right, it's dead. How come I feel pain then? I had the herbs and if most of it is numbed by nerve damage... She didn't dwell on it too long, she just looked around for ShineFang.
Shinefang watched the young cat begin to drift off, the high poppy seed dose doing what he hoped. He knew that his time would be short though. Shorter than you liked. He would have gladly taken a moon to prepare for this procedure, and a mentor would have been nice. But all the old tom had was his mind, his teeth, and what little knowledge he possessed. He took a large wad of cobwebs from his shelf along with as much comfrey, yarrow and chervil as he could carry. He carried them all further into his den where the dosing apprentice lie. The death scent from the tail seemed like it had already gotten stronger. It strengthened his resolve, but he still felt sick. This would be a risky procedure. There was a chance the apprentice would bleed to death. But if he left the tail where it was, she would definitely die. All the old tom had time for was one, long deep breath. With a sick stomach, he set to work biting through tail, just at the injury site. There was blood. Lots of it. He knew it couldn't be helped. When it was done, he put a thick mixture the herbs on the stump tail and bound it with cobwebs. He had to change them once before the bleeding stopped. It left him barely enough time to tail the dead tail segment out of the den. The apprentice didn't need to see that. Then he made a quick visit to the stream near camp to clean the blood from his face and paws. By the time he made it back to the medicine den, exhausted. Gorsepaw was stirring. "You're awake," he said, relieved.

Old January 9th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsurdJinx View Post

@king kaleb!

Juniperpaw wasn't sure if Daydream wanted to see her so soon, especially not after their recent... obstacle. And if Nightpaw decided she could carry it all, then she was sure the warrior apprentice could handle it. She nodded briskly, and flashing Nightpaw a teasing smile she responded, ``I suppose I'll entrust you with the care of these herbs.`` Nightpaw had absolutely no involvement in the tension between Juniperpaw and Daydream and she had absolutely no intentions of dragging the poor apprentice into it. She would do her best to keep the mood of the situation as far away from Nightpaw as possible.

She turned her attention to Shinefang and actually felt sadness flood her at his response. It's not the first time I've lost a cat. It won't be the last. Juniperpaw wouldn't wish such pain on anyone, not even her greatest enemy. Then she wondered if Shinefang spoke from his experience as both a warrior and a medicine cat or just a medicine cat. Is this what being a medicine cat would mean? Heartbreak and guilt at every turn? The negativity overpowered the positivity, Juniperpaw found, and she wasn't sure if she could deal with saving or failing lives as well as the issues of her personal life. I wish Geckoleaf were here to help me. Juniperpaw had never felt comfortable sharing everything with Daydream - maybe because they obviously were struggling with their own issues? But maybe, just maybe, she could confide in Shinefang.

When the older tomcat spoke of Daydream, Juniperpaw could only turn away and flick her ears in acknowledgement. She was sure this event would always haunt her, even if Daydream decided to forgive her. When the subject changed, Juniperpaw took a moment before turning back. ``Will you be alright without me, Nightpaw? I was thinking I'd stay behind with Shinefang for a short while.`` Juniperpaw cast the older tom a brief, questioning glance as she wondered if it would be okay for her to stay a little longer. She believed him when he said he'd be fine alone, but she knew she wouldn't be. She didn't want to return to RiverClan where her den was empty and she'd be allowed to wallow in her misery. At least with Shinefang she'd be kept busy with his jokes about his `handsome appearance`, which never failed to amuse her. And perhaps she'd find the courage to tell him about her losses and how to cope with them.
@king kaleb!

Entrust me with the herbs... Juniperpaw had given Nightpaw the one thing she needed most at that moment, a way to feel useful. With great solemnity she nodded and watched as Shinefang used a beechleaf to pack all the herbs into a leaf packet. She nodded at the Riverclan apprentice. "I know the way and I can track Daydream's scent like they said." She took the hefty packet in her jaws, which were stretched wide with the bulk of all the contents, and turned to leave the den. "Eye Unieraw, Eye Ienang," the black apprentice called through her full mouth as she left.

Once it was just him and Juniperpaw, Shinefang heaved a sigh. "One time I had a burr in my pelt. I didn't see it, and when I went to groom my fur, it got stuck to my tongue. That...that was a good day compared to today." the old tom turned to lick the fur on his shoulder, which was still sticking out in a tuft from earlier when he'd been sleeping. He twisted, but found that his spine ached to much when he tried, and giving up, he turned to the Riverclan apprentice. "Something else on you mind, Junebug?"

Old January 9th, 2018, 07:41 PM
i love sussy the bestest

My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmer View Post
@king kaleb!
Entrust me with the herbs... Juniperpaw had given Nightpaw the one thing she needed most at that moment, a way to feel useful. With great solemnity she nodded and watched as Shinefang used a beechleaf to pack all the herbs into a leaf packet. She nodded at the Riverclan apprentice. "I know the way and I can track Daydream's scent like they said." She took the hefty packet in her jaws, which were stretched wide with the bulk of all the contents, and turned to leave the den. "Eye Unieraw, Eye Ienang," the black apprentice called through her full mouth as she left.

Once it was just him and Juniperpaw, Shinefang heaved a sigh. "One time I had a burr in my pelt. I didn't see it, and when I went to groom my fur, it got stuck to my tongue. That...that was a good day compared to today." the old tom turned to lick the fur on his shoulder, which was still sticking out in a tuft from earlier when he'd been sleeping. He twisted, but found that his spine ached to much when he tried, and giving up, he turned to the Riverclan apprentice. "Something else on you mind, Junebug?"
@king kaleb!

Juniperpaw watched Nightpaw through a distant gaze before being brought back to reality by Shinefang. She looked over at the big tom, and snort-laughed as he finished his short story. You can say that again, she thought with dry amusement. ``Uh, yeah, actually,`` Juniperpaw meowed uncertainly, taking it upon herself to approach Shinefang and sit down at his side where she could flatten the messy tuft of fur on his shoulder and avoid looking him directly in the eyes. She simply couldn't bring herself to look at him, not with such a topic as the one she wished to bring up, and especially not after he watched Daydream blow up on Juniperpaw. ``I- you said you've lost cats before. Was that... before or after becoming a medicine cat - or both? I just - why is this so difficult to say?`` She paused for a moment to gather herself before continuing, ``How do you deal with losing someone?`` Juniperpaw remembered all her losses - the young kit and the elderly warrior, her mentor and even her own mother. She'd lost them all recently, and she feared she may just lose Daydream as well.
Old January 9th, 2018, 08:35 PM
Sigh...

Quote:

@king kaleb!

Juniperpaw watched Nightpaw through a distant gaze before being brought back to reality by Shinefang. She looked over at the big tom, and snort-laughed as he finished his short story. You can say that again, she thought with dry amusement. ``Uh, yeah, actually,`` Juniperpaw meowed uncertainly, taking it upon herself to approach Shinefang and sit down at his side where she could flatten the messy tuft of fur on his shoulder and avoid looking him directly in the eyes. She simply couldn't bring herself to look at him, not with such a topic as the one she wished to bring up, and especially not after he watched Daydream blow up on Juniperpaw. ``I- you said you've lost cats before. Was that... before or after becoming a medicine cat - or both? I just - why is this so difficult to say?`` She paused for a moment to gather herself before continuing, ``How do you deal with losing someone?`` Juniperpaw remembered all her losses - the young kit and the elderly warrior, her mentor and even her own mother. She'd lost them all recently, and she feared she may just lose Daydream as well.
As the younger apprentice padded over to flatten the tuft on his shoulder, he sat in silence. It was just as much about giving her the chance to voice her thoughts as it was to avoid thanking her. Thanking her would feel too much like an admission that he couldn't handle something as basic as grooming like he used to. He knew it was obvious to most cats, but he would feel too much like an elder asking for help. He could still manage well enough.

The younger cat asked about something that didn't exactly surprise him. Loss. He had told the truth about it, and he'd had a lifetime to try to get used to the fact that cats die, and the ones you love were no exception. Juniperpaw was still young and feeling the pain of loss for the first time. A loss as a medicine cat was hard alright, but he at least had the advantage of a long life to learn to manage the feelings that came with it, and obviously he still wasn't perfect at it. His herb stores could attest to that. She was young though, and had chosen a life in many ways more difficult than a warrior's from the very start. And what made it worse is she was managing it alone. He could relate to that too...

"It comes with the territory at my age," he explained. "I lost my father before I left the nursery and my mother before I earned my warrior name. Friends, brothers, a sister... my mate," he added in a low voice, jagged with dulled pain. "Acornpaw was the first patient I lost. That was much harder than I expected. It's different when you're a warrior. You know that there's only so much you can do, and if you lose a clanmate, there were others who all could have done something to help them. It's not just your fault. But Acornpaw...I was all he had and I couldn't help him. And the worst part was I really thought I could. I still don't know what I did wrong. But I'll tell you what I do know, Junebug. I threw myself into my warrior duties. And I was a great one. But I also had to endure the pain. There's no helping it. When you lose someone, you're gonna hurt for a long time. Then one day, it hurts a little less. Then a little less, then a lot more when you see or think of something that reminds you of them, then less, more, less, less and less again. Then one day you realize you're having more good days and the pain isn't as bad. And if you're a lot of cats, you try and take comfort in the fact you'll see them again in Starclan. And if you're me, you also look forward to clawing the sparkly ears off the first foxheart you see in Starclan for putting you through that pain," he added it like a chiding remark, but there was just the faintest hint of a snarl on his grimacing face. He flicked a shredded ear, and looked at the Riverclan shecat with his remaining amber eye. "Is this just about your mentor? Is anything else going on?"

Old January 10th, 2018, 10:38 AM
Falling In

My Mood: Thirsty

Quote:
Shinefang watched the young cat begin to drift off, the high poppy seed dose doing what he hoped. He knew that his time would be short though. Shorter than you liked. He would have gladly taken a moon to prepare for this procedure, and a mentor would have been nice. But all the old tom had was his mind, his teeth, and what little knowledge he possessed. He took a large wad of cobwebs from his shelf along with as much comfrey, yarrow and chervil as he could carry. He carried them all further into his den where the dosing apprentice lie. The death scent from the tail seemed like it had already gotten stronger. It strengthened his resolve, but he still felt sick. This would be a risky procedure. There was a chance the apprentice would bleed to death. But if he left the tail where it was, she would definitely die. All the old tom had time for was one, long deep breath. With a sick stomach, he set to work biting through tail, just at the injury site. There was blood. Lots of it. He knew it couldn't be helped. When it was done, he put a thick mixture the herbs on the stump tail and bound it with cobwebs. He had to change them once before the bleeding stopped. It left him barely enough time to tail the dead tail segment out of the den. The apprentice didn't need to see that. Then he made a quick visit to the stream near camp to clean the blood from his face and paws. By the time he made it back to the medicine den, exhausted. Gorsepaw was stirring. "You're awake," he said, relieved.
Gorsepaw felt a little dizzy, her vision blurry. The tabby apprentice looked behind her, trying to see the state of her tail but all she found was a bleeding stump covered in herbs. ShineFang greeted her. "Yeah. What time of day is it? I've been in and out of sleep for what seems like moons!" She mewed, looking away. Then it suddenly hit her. Gorsepaw looked back at her tail to check if it was real. It was. He apprentice suddenly became dizzy and struggled to catch her breath. She thought the best thing was to close her eyes and lay down and drift back into slumber. It's probably just all the poppy seeds kicking in she reassured herself but anothe part of the Molly was panicking what if I die? Am I going to wake up? No...my body and my mum is just confused right now. It's a difficult time. I'm sure my tail will heal soon enough an I will be out of here in no time.
Old January 10th, 2018, 09:23 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
Gorsepaw felt a little dizzy, her vision blurry. The tabby apprentice looked behind her, trying to see the state of her tail but all she found was a bleeding stump covered in herbs. ShineFang greeted her. "Yeah. What time of day is it? I've been in and out of sleep for what seems like moons!" She mewed, looking away. Then it suddenly hit her. Gorsepaw looked back at her tail to check if it was real. It was. He apprentice suddenly became dizzy and struggled to catch her breath. She thought the best thing was to close her eyes and lay down and drift back into slumber. It's probably just all the poppy seeds kicking in she reassured herself but anothe part of the Molly was panicking what if I die? Am I going to wake up? No...my body and my mum is just confused right now. It's a difficult time. I'm sure my tail will heal soon enough an I will be out of here in no time.
Shinefang was about to answer the young shecat when a look of horror came overboard her face at the sight of her tail and she seemed to suddenly swoon and lie down. He darted forward to check her. She seemed to be in shock so he quickly scrabbled to retrieve a paw of thyme. “Here, GorsePaw, stay with me. Eat this.” He said, concern in his voice. “Come on now!”

Old January 11th, 2018, 02:17 AM
Falling In

My Mood: Thirsty

Quote:
Shinefang was about to answer the young shecat when a look of horror came overboard her face at the sight of her tail and she seemed to suddenly swoon and lie down. He darted forward to check her. She seemed to be in shock so he quickly scrabbled to retrieve a paw of thyme. “Here, GorsePaw, stay with me. Eat this.” He said, concern in his voice. “Come on now!”
She looked up drowsily. Gorsepaw took the herbs, yawned then lay back down again. "Don't you think you've given me too many herbs? Will it not have bad side effects?" The apprentice questioned, her voice almost a whisper.
Old January 11th, 2018, 04:51 PM
i love sussy the bestest

My Mood: Cool

Quote:
As the younger apprentice padded over to flatten the tuft on his shoulder, he sat in silence. It was just as much about giving her the chance to voice her thoughts as it was to avoid thanking her. Thanking her would feel too much like an admission that he couldn't handle something as basic as grooming like he used to. He knew it was obvious to most cats, but he would feel too much like an elder asking for help. He could still manage well enough.

The younger cat asked about something that didn't exactly surprise him. Loss. He had told the truth about it, and he'd had a lifetime to try to get used to the fact that cats die, and the ones you love were no exception. Juniperpaw was still young and feeling the pain of loss for the first time. A loss as a medicine cat was hard alright, but he at least had the advantage of a long life to learn to manage the feelings that came with it, and obviously he still wasn't perfect at it. His herb stores could attest to that. She was young though, and had chosen a life in many ways more difficult than a warrior's from the very start. And what made it worse is she was managing it alone. He could relate to that too...

"It comes with the territory at my age," he explained. "I lost my father before I left the nursery and my mother before I earned my warrior name. Friends, brothers, a sister... my mate," he added in a low voice, jagged with dulled pain. "Acornpaw was the first patient I lost. That was much harder than I expected. It's different when you're a warrior. You know that there's only so much you can do, and if you lose a clanmate, there were others who all could have done something to help them. It's not just your fault. But Acornpaw...I was all he had and I couldn't help him. And the worst part was I really thought I could. I still don't know what I did wrong. But I'll tell you what I do know, Junebug. I threw myself into my warrior duties. And I was a great one. But I also had to endure the pain. There's no helping it. When you lose someone, you're gonna hurt for a long time. Then one day, it hurts a little less. Then a little less, then a lot more when you see or think of something that reminds you of them, then less, more, less, less and less again. Then one day you realize you're having more good days and the pain isn't as bad. And if you're a lot of cats, you try and take comfort in the fact you'll see them again in Starclan. And if you're me, you also look forward to clawing the sparkly ears off the first foxheart you see in Starclan for putting you through that pain," he added it like a chiding remark, but there was just the faintest hint of a snarl on his grimacing face. He flicked a shredded ear, and looked at the Riverclan shecat with his remaining amber eye. "Is this just about your mentor? Is anything else going on?"
Juniperpaw wasn't looking for a `thank you`, and she hadn't been expecting one anyways. She accepted Shinefang's advice - or explanation - as his appreciation, even if it wasn't. She had, after all, been searching for an answer, and that was better than a simple `thanks`. Besides, she highly doubted Shinefang would ask anyone for help, the proud furball, even if the tuft of fur bothered him all day. However, she wasn't interested in tearing down Shinefang's dignity by pointing out his age and disabilities - she only did that when there was an obviously-playful mood but right now, there was no such mood.

As Shinefang spoke, Juniperpaw inched closer to the tomcat and sat at his side. Warmth seemed to radiate off him and engulf her, offering her comfort. She let her tail wave slowly behind her, a way to keep her body busy during the serious conversation. She was a very busy-bee and liked to keep moving; when she wasn't moving her mind was working and not always in the most positive of ways.

She did not meet Shinefang's gaze, and instead stared at the ground to the side of her forepaw. A sorrow-filled expression clouded her features and instead of answering Shinefang's questions - which were sure to have her burst out wailing - she croaked, ``So the pain doesn't go away? It'll always hurt?`` Juniperpaw leaned against the older tom, feeling uselessness fill her. If being a medicine cat only caused pain, then why did such a rank exist? Why weren't there other medicine cats in the clans to comfort one another at their losses? Cats who better understood the pain of the medicine cats? Juniperpaw wasn't sure if she was prepared for the sacrifices of a medicine cat.

Last edited by AbsurdJinx; January 11th, 2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old January 11th, 2018, 06:37 PM
Sigh...

Quote:

Juniperpaw wasn't looking for a `thank you`, and she hadn't been expecting one anyways. She accepted Shinefang's advice - or explanation - as his appreciation, even if it wasn't. She had, after all, been searching for an answer, and that was better than a simple `thanks`. Besides, she highly doubted Shinefang would ask anyone for help, the proud furball, even if the tuft of fur bothered him all day. However, she wasn't interested in tearing down Shinefang's dignity by pointing out his age and disabilities - she only did that when there was an obviously-playful mood but right now, there was no such mood.

As Shinefang spoke, Juniperpaw inched closer to the tomcat and sat at his side. Warmth seemed to radiate off him and engulf her, offering her comfort. She let her tail wave slowly behind her, a way to keep her body busy during the serious conversation. She was a very busy-bee and liked to keep moving; when she wasn't moving her mind was working and not always in the most positive of ways.

She did not meet Shinefang's gaze, and instead stared at the ground to the side of her forepaw. A sorrow-filled expression clouded her features and instead of answering Shinefang's questions - which were sure to have her burst out wailing - she croaked, ``So the pain doesn't go away? It'll always hurt?`` Juniperpaw leaned against the older tom, feeling uselessness fill her. If being a medicine cat only caused pain, then why did such a rank exist? Why weren't there other medicine cats in the clans to comfort one another at their losses? Cats who better understood the pain of the medicine cats? Juniperpaw wasn't sure if she was prepared for the sacrifices of a medicine cat.
Shinefang felt the younger cat flush against him, warm against his pelt. She seemed so small. Too small to be confronting these hard lessons. He thought of his daughters, who he never got to raise because the foxhearts of Starclan had snatched them before they could even take their first breath. Not for the first time, he wondered if he would have been a good father. He saw the younger cat's face seem to sink with despair. Had he been too harsh? No. He had only told her the truth. Better she hear it from him than wonder if she was the only cat moons and moons later who still carried the ache. In a rare moment of affection, Shinefang wrapped his tail around the apprentice and brought her closer, putting a paw on her shoulder. "Oh Junebug. It gets easier. And you'll get stronger too," the old tom gaze a chuckle. "You're already so strong." There was sincerity in his eye, and a warmth rarely seen beneath his gruff exterior.

Old January 11th, 2018, 07:09 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
She looked up drowsily. Gorsepaw took the herbs, yawned then lay back down again. "Don't you think you've given me too many herbs? Will it not have bad side effects?" The apprentice questioned, her voice almost a whisper.
"Not thyme," the medicine cat assured the young apprentice. "It's very safe." His bigger concern was the sheer amount of poppy seeds he'd given her earlier. It was higher than usual. Much higher because he needed the apprentice to sleep through the pain of losing an entire body part. And now looking at her, she seemed groggy. Normally when he gave the seeds, cats woke up looking fairly rested. Was it even safe for her to sleep after taking that many? The medicine cat tried not to show the agony he was in as his mind raced.