Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Archives > Old Topics > Main Roleplay > SkyClan

Notice
Please read our Content Policy Update!

Interested in joining the staff team? Look here!
Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader
Dawnstar
Deputy
: None
Medicine Cat: Lostspark
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Mossfreckle

RiverClan
Leader
: Fadingsun
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Mistyshard

Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

WindClan
Leader
Twilightstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
WCO Staff Applications
Last post by hermeswind
Today 05:48 AM
RiverClan Patrols
by Estelle
Last post by Fritter
Today 05:39 AM
Haven Springs
Last post by Fritter
Today 05:26 AM
RiverClan Healing
by starry
Last post by starry
Today 04:09 AM
Introducing Myself
Last post by Wingnettle
Today 03:41 AM

Old June 24th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Sigh...

My Mood: Hopeful

Default Re: SkyClan Medicine Cat's Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Morningdust looked at his paw with an angered expression. "It's Morningdust." He corrected the medicine cat, all the while trying to hide his annoyance of both his paw, and his incorrectly said name. He made sure to keep his hurt paw off the ground as he limped back to the nest while flicking the tip of his tail from side to side. Once he had returned to the nest, he took interest in one of the old cat's remarks. "How can you tell that it'll be better in 4 days, instead of one?" The previously irritated on his face was now replaced with a more curious one. He opened his mouth and breathed in the scent of the den. He recognized the scent of the leaves Shinefang had pulled out, but never thought they may be used for medicine. "What are those? What do they do?" Normally, Morningdust wasn't exactly the talkative type, but he didn't like the idea of someone else treating him with things that he had no clue of what they were, for an injury that he didn't even know the extent of. He subconsciously pulled his wounded paw back to his body and sat up while he waited for a response.
Shinefang swatted an empty cobnut shell out from one of the lowest shelf and spat the chewed up leaves into the hollow space. "Whatever, Morningdance," he muttered. He started to nudge his herb concoction closer to the injured tom and pointed at the paw that was injured. "Because that," he said with an accusatory sneer as he looked at it, "is the most swollen I've seen a leg that wasn't broken. It's good news all things considered. A broken ankle would have landed you in here for a moon and a half." He reached for a gob of the chewed plants and the warrior pulled his paw away before he could apply it. Annoyed, he met the younger tom's green eyes with his one, realizing he was close enough now for the younger cat to clearly see his shredded ears and scarred muzzle. "Elder leaves, and nothing if you don't let me put it on you paw. But it reduces swelling." He held out the gob again and stared at Morningdust as he waited for the younger tom to offer his injured leg.

Old June 24th, 2018, 04:19 PM
♫Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat♫

My Mood: Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmer View Post
Shinefang swatted an empty cobnut shell out from one of the lowest shelf and spat the chewed up leaves into the hollow space. "Whatever, Morningdance," he muttered. He started to nudge his herb concoction closer to the injured tom and pointed at the paw that was injured. "Because that," he said with an accusatory sneer as he looked at it, "is the most swollen I've seen a leg that wasn't broken. It's good news all things considered. A broken ankle would have landed you in here for a moon and a half." He reached for a gob of the chewed plants and the warrior pulled his paw away before he could apply it. Annoyed, he met the younger tom's green eyes with his one, realizing he was close enough now for the younger cat to clearly see his shredded ears and scarred muzzle. "Elder leaves, and nothing if you don't let me put it on you paw. But it reduces swelling." He held out the gob again and stared at Morningdust as he waited for the younger tom to offer his injured leg.

Deciding to ignore the second time Shinefang had got his name wrong, Morningdust looked back towards his own paw as the medicine cat pointed out its swollen state. "So, it's not broken." He repeated Shinefang's words quietly to himself. Noticing he had pulled his paw away, he quickly held it out once more for Shinefang to apply the poultice. While waiting, he took a good look at the medicine cat's face. He hadn't really had many chances to see him considering he'd only ever come in the medicine den when he was an apprentice to do things like replacing the bedding, but even so, he'd still never seen the tom's mangled ears and scarred muzzle up close. He hesitated for a moment to ask about the scars knowing some cats earned their scars in fights they'd rather not speak of, including himself, but his curiosity eventually got the best of him. "Forgive me if I sound rude, but how'd you get all those scars? I thought medicine cats don't generally enter actual fights." After asking, his gaze instinctively returned to his wounded paw. He turned his head slightly so his good eye could see it, as he wasn't exactly enjoying holding out his wounded paw on his blind side.
Old June 24th, 2018, 04:57 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
Deciding to ignore the second time Shinefang had got his name wrong, Morningdust looked back towards his own paw as the medicine cat pointed out its swollen state. "So, it's not broken." He repeated Shinefang's words quietly to himself. Noticing he had pulled his paw away, he quickly held it out once more for Shinefang to apply the poultice. While waiting, he took a good look at the medicine cat's face. He hadn't really had many chances to see him considering he'd only ever come in the medicine den when he was an apprentice to do things like replacing the bedding, but even so, he'd still never seen the tom's mangled ears and scarred muzzle up close. He hesitated for a moment to ask about the scars knowing some cats earned their scars in fights they'd rather not speak of, including himself, but his curiosity eventually got the best of him. "Forgive me if I sound rude, but how'd you get all those scars? I thought medicine cats don't generally enter actual fights." After asking, his gaze instinctively returned to his wounded paw. He turned his head slightly so his good eye could see it, as he wasn't exactly enjoying holding out his wounded paw on his blind side.
As the younger cat extended his paw, Shinefang took it and with care began to apply the herbs. He didn't look up from his work when the tom asked him a question, but one of his ears gave a flick. "Here and there," he said simply. Being a warrior for more than 80 moons will do that to ya." As he spread the herbs over the younger cat's paw, he saw a large scar protruding on the swollen limb. He clicked his tongue once. "That had to have hurt," he commented. "That's a sensitive part of the body." He leaned in to get a closer look before covering the wound with green paste. "Looks like another cat did it," he guessed. He saw the younger tom turn his head just a bit to one side in a way that was familiar to him from having lived with just one eye for a while. In a quick flash, he waved his tail once to the side Morningdust had turned away from him paw, curious to see if the warrior noticed it.

Old June 24th, 2018, 07:34 PM
♫Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat♫

Quote:
As the younger cat extended his paw, Shinefang took it and with care began to apply the herbs. He didn't look up from his work when the tom asked him a question, but one of his ears gave a flick. "Here and there," he said simply. Being a warrior for more than 80 moons will do that to ya." As he spread the herbs over the younger cat's paw, he saw a large scar protruding on the swollen limb. He clicked his tongue once. "That had to have hurt," he commented. "That's a sensitive part of the body." He leaned in to get a closer look before covering the wound with green paste. "Looks like another cat did it," he guessed. He saw the younger tom turn his head just a bit to one side in a way that was familiar to him from having lived with just one eye for a while. In a quick flash, he waved his tail once to the side Morningdust had turned away from him paw, curious to see if the warrior noticed it.
While Shinefang began to spread the goop of herbs over his paw and talked, Morningdust listened intently. By the sounds of it, Shinefang seemed to have been a warrior at some point in his life, which was something unheard of by Morningdust. "Oh? So you were a warrior before you were a medicine cat? That's quite interesting. I'm sure you have more than a few interesting stories then huh?" His expression became rather unreadable once Shinefang mentioned the scar on his paw, but his eyes betrayed the rest of his demeanor with a hint of regret. "Yes, it was quite painful." He mostly ignored the last comment about the scar trying not to show much of a reaction.
Though Shinefang may have waved his tail rather close to the warriors face, Morningdust took no notice of it. The tail had swung past his duller looking, blind eye, and was completely out of sight of his good eye. He continued to stare forward at his paw. The moment Shinefang had finished tending to his paw, he placed it onto the ground, and his face turned forward once more. "So I'll be able to return to my normal duties in four days, right?" The younger cat groaned and turned his head to the ground with a furrowed brow. "That's annoying." He commented mostly speaking to himself.

Last edited by Panda; June 25th, 2018 at 06:17 AM.
Old June 25th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
While Shinefang began to spread the goop of herbs over his paw and talked, Morningdust listened intently. By the sounds of it, Shinefang seemed to have been a warrior at some point in his life, which was something unheard of by Morningdust. "Oh? So you were a warrior before you were a medicine cat? That's quite interesting. I'm sure you have more than a few interesting stories then huh?" His expression became rather unreadable once Shinefang mentioned the scar on his paw, but his eyes betrayed the rest of his demeanor with a hint of regret. "Yes, it was quite painful." He mostly ignored the last comment about the scar trying not to show much of a reaction.
Though Shinefang may have waved his tail rather close to the warriors face, Morningdust took no notice of it. The tail had swung past his duller looking, blind eye, and was completely out of sight of his good eye. He continued to stare forward at his paw. The moment Shinefang had finished tending to his paw, he placed it onto the ground, and his face turned forward once more. "So I'll be able to return to my normal duties in four days, right?" The younger cat groaned and turned his head to the ground with a furrowed brow. "That's annoying." He commented mostly speaking to himself.
"Mmhmm," the old tom hummed in agreement. He was in no mood to tell a tale from his warrior days, though he found it oddly intriguing to meet another warrior coping with the loss of half of his vision. He was sure about that now. Morningdust had given no sign of noticing the sudden movement. The herbs applied, Shinefnag eased the warriors paw down. "True. Whole lot less annoying that a moon and a half though. Next time come straight back and you just might save yourself some recovery time." The old tom turned his back on the warrior and shuffled back to his stores of tansy. Slowly, and with creaking joints, he eased himself onto his belly to get a better look at the plants and continued teasing the older flowers apart in search of usable flowers.

Old June 25th, 2018, 03:14 PM
♫Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat♫

Quote:
"Mmhmm," the old tom hummed in agreement. He was in no mood to tell a tale from his warrior days, though he found it oddly intriguing to meet another warrior coping with the loss of half of his vision. He was sure about that now. Morningdust had given no sign of noticing the sudden movement. The herbs applied, Shinefnag eased the warriors paw down. "True. Whole lot less annoying that a moon and a half though. Next time come straight back and you just might save yourself some recovery time." The old tom turned his back on the warrior and shuffled back to his stores of tansy. Slowly, and with creaking joints, he eased himself onto his belly to get a better look at the plants and continued teasing the older flowers apart in search of usable flowers.

The long-haired tom shook his goop cover paw without a second thought finding that the sticky residue that now covered it was quite annoying. He felt the urge to lick his paw clean, but he knew better than to bother Shinefang any further than he had already. His paws shook a bit as he heaved himself off the ground without the use of his hurt paw, but it took no time at all for them to return to their normal steady state as they became used to the imbalance. He stood in his place for a moment as he thought through his next course of actions, and his eyes wandered as if they were fixed on something far away. Well, I can't hunt... Or patrol... Or really anything useful... Freetime was something Morningdust frankly wasn't very used to. He never gave himself much time to rest other than to sleep and eat, but that was how he enjoyed life. He hated to just lay about in the sun and do nothing. He wanted to be helpful in some way.
While he thought through the idea of just ignoring his orders and going off to hunt anyway, his brain told him that the idea was foolish. Now, he was left with no real ideas, or so he thought. When his eyes scanned over Shinefang and his work, an idea popped into his head. "Is there any work you need to be done that I could help you with Shinefang? I'd hate to waste away in the warrior's den for the next four days, so really if you need anything done I can do it."

Last edited by Panda; June 25th, 2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old June 25th, 2018, 06:49 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
The long-haired tom shook his goop cover paw without a second thought finding that the sticky residue that now covered it was quite annoying. He felt the urge to lick his paw clean, but he knew better than to bother Shinefang any further than he had already. His paws shook a bit as he heaved himself off the ground without the use of his hurt paw, but it took no time at all for them to return to their normal steady state as they became used to the imbalance. He stood in his place for a moment as he thought through his next course of actions, and his eyes wandered as if they were fixed on something far away. Well, I can't hunt... Or patrol... Or really anything useful... Freetime was something Morningdust frankly wasn't very used to. He never gave himself much time to rest other than to sleep and eat, but that was how he enjoyed life. He hated to just lay about in the sun and do nothing. He wanted to be helpful in some way.
While he thought through the idea of just ignoring his orders and going off to hunt anyway, his brain told him that the idea was foolish. Now, he was left with no real ideas, or so he thought. When his eyes scanned over Shinefang and his work, an idea popped into his head. "Is there any work you need to be done that I could help you with Shinefang? I'd hate to waste away in the warrior's den for the next four days, so really if you need anything done I can do it."
Warriors these days. A few days of rest may as well be a punishment, Shinefang thought to himself with a shake of his head. But as he looked down at the tansy he was trying to separate, it occurred to his he had more herbs than just this he needed to check for quality and it would take some time to do them all on his own. Honestly it was something he should have done a moon ago, like the bedding in the patients' nests. There was simply too much work for him to handle on his own. If it kept the tom occupied and quiet, why not spread the work around. The old medicine cat groaned as he got to his feet, his joints protesting as they always did, and scooped up the bundle of flowers in his jaws. He set them down in front of the warrior. "This is tansy. Very old tansy. Leftover from when Ebonyfrost was the medicine cat. Some of it is still usable but some of it isn't. Tease the flowers in the bundle apart like this," he said, using his claws to pry the dried stems apart. "After that, check for flowers that still have some life to them." Gently, he placed his paw on top of a flower and pressed down. "See how it crumbled? That means its no good. We want it to bounce back." He placed his paw over a brighter yellow flower which gave under his paw, but sprang back easily into its flowery shape when he lifted it again.

Old June 25th, 2018, 07:19 PM
♫Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat♫

Quote:
Warriors these days. A few days of rest may as well be a punishment, Shinefang thought to himself with a shake of his head. But as he looked down at the tansy he was trying to separate, it occurred to his he had more herbs than just this he needed to check for quality and it would take some time to do them all on his own. Honestly it was something he should have done a moon ago, like the bedding in the patients' nests. There was simply too much work for him to handle on his own. If it kept the tom occupied and quiet, why not spread the work around. The old medicine cat groaned as he got to his feet, his joints protesting as they always did, and scooped up the bundle of flowers in his jaws. He set them down in front of the warrior. "This is tansy. Very old tansy. Leftover from when Ebonyfrost was the medicine cat. Some of it is still usable but some of it isn't. Tease the flowers in the bundle apart like this," he said, using his claws to pry the dried stems apart. "After that, check for flowers that still have some life to them." Gently, he placed his paw on top of a flower and pressed down. "See how it crumbled? That means its no good. We want it to bounce back." He placed his paw over a brighter yellow flower which gave under his paw, but sprang back easily into its flowery shape when he lifted it again.

The younger warrior watched over Shinefang's shoulder as the older cat quickly broke through the stem all the while forcing himself to take careful note of the state of the useable flowers contrasted to that of the unusable ones. Once Shinefang has presumably finished his instructions, Morningdust sat down in front of the pile of old flowers. The tip of his tail began to flick about in contentment that he was no longer be examined, and rather actually doing something useful as he carefully proceeded to claw the stem in half. He tried his best, but the stem he had cut was rather messy looking compared to that of Shinefang's. "Hm, you made it look easy." What he said was a complaint, but he spoke in a rather delighted voice as he proceeded to test the flower that came off the stem. It had been a while since he'd done anything that was challenging. Lately, all he had really done was hunting since he'd been trying so hard to avoid getting caught up in any patrol fights. Cutting the stem may not have been horribly challenging, but it did bring its own interest.
He pressed his paw on the flower, but as soon as he had put any type weight on it, it crumbled away much like the one Shinefang had shown him just before. "Wow, these flowers are old." His nose hovered about the remains of the flower as he gave a curious sniff, before turning back to Shinefang. "Just out of curiosity, what are these used for?"

Last edited by Panda; June 25th, 2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old June 25th, 2018, 08:01 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
The younger warrior watched over Shinefang's shoulder as the older cat quickly broke through the stem all the while forcing himself to take careful note of the state of the useable flowers contrasted to that of the unusable ones. Once Shinefang has presumably finished his instructions, Morningdust sat down in front of the pile of old flowers. The tip of his tail began to flick about in contentment that he was no longer be examined, and rather actually doing something useful as he carefully proceeded to claw the stem in half. He tried his best, but the stem he had cut was rather messy looking compared to that of Shinefang's. "Hm, you made it look easy." What he said was a complaint, but he spoke in a rather delighted voice as he proceeded to test the flower that came off the stem. It had been a while since he'd done anything that was challenging. Lately, all he had really done was hunting since he'd been trying so hard to avoid getting caught up in any patrol fights. Cutting the stem may not have been horribly challenging, but it did bring its own interest.
He pressed his paw on the flower, but as soon as he had put any type weight on it, it crumbled away much like the one Shinefang had shown him just before. "Wow, these flowers are old." His nose hovered about the remains of the flower as he gave a curious sniff, before turning back to Shinefang. "Just out of curiosity, what are these used for?"
Shinefang snorted as he pulled a bundle of ragwort leaves from another shelf. "That's because I'm good." The old tom laughed a croaking laugh at his own joke that ended in a single cough like he'd inhaled a little saliva. The ragwort under his paws was dark green and crumbling, he sniffed it distastefully, unsure if it was salvageable. He swept his paw over a shelf and sent a bright blue berries tumbling onto the den floor which he nudged into a small pile with one paw. His ear flicked as he heard the younger tom's question. "The tansy? Coughs mostly. It's good for keeping a case of white cough from turning into green cough. I'm told it's also good for poison, but honestly I'd rather have a cat eat some yarrow for that," he said. He plucked one of the slightly wrinkled berries with one claw and popped it into his mouth, chewing it thoughtfully before biting off some dried ragwort, grimacing at the bitter taste.

Old June 26th, 2018, 05:48 AM
♫Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat♫

Quote:
Shinefang snorted as he pulled a bundle of ragwort leaves from another shelf. "That's because I'm good." The old tom laughed a croaking laugh at his own joke that ended in a single cough like he'd inhaled a little saliva. The ragwort under his paws was dark green and crumbling, he sniffed it distastefully, unsure if it was salvageable. He swept his paw over a shelf and sent a bright blue berries tumbling onto the den floor which he nudged into a small pile with one paw. His ear flicked as he heard the younger tom's question. "The tansy? Coughs mostly. It's good for keeping a case of white cough from turning into green cough. I'm told it's also good for poison, but honestly I'd rather have a cat eat some yarrow for that," he said. He plucked one of the slightly wrinkled berries with one claw and popped it into his mouth, chewing it thoughtfully before biting off some dried ragwort, grimacing at the bitter taste.

Morningdust continued through the pile of tansy diligently. As he went along, the stems progressively became cleaner cut, but he still couldn't seem to get it to resemble the one Shinefang had cut earlier. Only around one-third of the flowers still held enough vigor to keep themselves from crushing under his paw, but he didn't take much notice of this since he was mainly focused on cutting the stems right. While he worked, he glanced over to Shinefang for a moment to see him take one of the berries and put it into his mouth. He became curious if whether the berries where just for taste, or they held some healing abilities like the many other herbs in the den. His mouth opened slightly as he hesitated to ask, but it eventually closed due to him deciding against it. Shinefang seemed to be busy with organizing other herbs, so his questions would only get in the way for both himself and the medicine cat.
The pile of cut stems slowly began to increase while he worked through the old tansies, and it wasn't too long before the pile of tansies was almost completely replaced by a pile of stems and a smaller pile of flowers. The majority of the stems in the pile were rough and a bit jagged looking, but towards the top of the pile, the stems seemed to become smoother and cleaner cut. He still had a few more to go, but it seemed that he had gotten the hang of cutting them, more or less.