Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Main Warriors Roleplay > The Starcave

Notice
Please read our Content Policy Update!

Interested in joining the staff team? Look here!
Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader
Dawnstar
Deputy
: None
Medicine Cat: Lostspark
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Mossfreckle

RiverClan
Leader
: Fadingsun
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Mistyshard

Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

WindClan
Leader
Twilightstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
Let's Get This Over With...
by Bean
Last post by Bean
Today 08:45 AM
RiverClan Medicine Cat...
by starry
Last post by starry
Today 08:43 AM
Hiatus Question
by Bean
Last post by Bean
Today 08:24 AM
"Sharpen your teeth" - RC...
Last post by Fits
Today 08:04 AM
RiverClan Floodstone
by BEAR.
Last post by Astraea
Today 07:45 AM

Old January 22nd, 2023, 05:34 PM
as long as i breathe

Bump Policy: 3 days / 1 if time sensitive
My Mood: Kingly

Default Re: The Starcave

Fawnlight would be lying if she said that she didn't get a little satisfaction out of how Cinderpaw bluntly answered Ivysnake's question. Good for her. In her opinion, the ShadowClan medicine cat apprentice deserved to be taken down a notch or two, being among the last to arrive and yet having the gall to hurry them all inside. Which surprised her when she caught the response from the medicine cat.

Not missing a beat the RiverClan medicine cat blinked. "I'm not the one hurrying us inside," she stated simply as she rose to her paws wasting no more time humoring Ivysnake with her attention. Fawnlight nodded towards Sundust, who thanked her for the knowledge of the herbs (Ivysnake's response went ignored). At least her mentor seemed to have a better control over his mannerisms and actually took the time to speak to her like a full grown cat instead of a whiny kit. "I'm glad to hear it." And she was - from Elmshadow. She didn't hold same hatred towards ShadowClan as a whole as most Clan cats seemed to, instead deciding to judge each cat individually. So far, Elmshadow had given her no reason to lose her respect as a fellow medicine cat.

Speaking of the tom, Fawnlight blinked in curiosity as he began to describe a herb he had found. No use of it was known yet, but it appeared to help masks scents. That would be good to know for burials. "I'll keep an eye out for it. Thank you for sharing." A genuine smile of appreciation and a dip of her head, pointedly not looking at Ivysnake and only Elmshadow as she did so to express her gratitude was towards the ShadowClan medicine cat and him alone for this information.

Not long after she took notice of Cinderpaw disappearing into the cave, with Cowpaw following shortly after. Swishing her tail behind her she-cat turned her paws to follow them both into the cave. Glittering and gleaming from the light of the moon above, Fawnlight was awe-struck by its beauty. Seeing Cowpaw settle down, she turned to dip her head in temporary farewell to her fellow medicine cats before lying down near the stone, touching her nose to it and closing her eyes.

[ @x ghostie @naiad @littlelove @TheNyanCatMinecart @Ravensong ]

"and so with my face turned up to the rain... i live."
character site | about me | roleplay tracker | toyhouse

Last edited by taillow; January 22nd, 2023 at 05:35 PM.
Old January 24th, 2023, 10:30 PM
watermeon

Bump Policy: after 48 hours
My Mood: Yeehaw

Oh, well.. there goes Cinderpaw. Sundust supposed there was no harm in her going first - he always intended on her accompanying them to the Starcave anyways. He waited a moment as the other medicine cats finished speaking, taking special note of the new herb Elmshadow described, then followed the group down into the darkness of the cavern.

Sundust didn't think he’d ever forget his first time in the Starcave, nor get over his awe of the shimmering stone which sat in the middle, illuminating the space by refracting moonlight into glittering flecks that sparkled along the walls. He paused for a moment, tilting his head and watching how the light shifted along with his motions before continuing to the stone.

He glanced towards Cinderpaw, but said nothing, then refocused on his task and touched his nose to the ice-cold stone. Slowly his eyes slid closed and he drifted to sleep, praying to Starclan all the while.

[ @TheNyanCatMinecart @Ravensong @littlelove @x ghostie @Birdie ]

“and the human race is filled with passion. and medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. but poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.”
— john keating (robin williams), dead poets society

profile image credits:
background image credits found in albums | pfp - wallace and gromit
Old January 26th, 2023, 03:51 PM

Bump Policy: I'm not sure yet.
My Mood: Tired

(Littlelove told me to skip Cinderpaw's turn, so I'm going ahead with Ivysnake!)

~ IVYSNAKE OF SHADOWCLAN ~

Ivysnake might have been frustrated with her mentor as of late, but she respected his maturity and cool, casual air. He did not hold much care for the other medicine cats beyond what could be learned from them, and he was not here to make friends. ShadowClan didn't waste time with such things. The other Clans were enemies, cats whose lives were worth as much as a frog's unless proven otherwise. The other Clans were cats, and they could be strong, but Ivysnake did not care about them outside of practicality. Nor did Elmshadow, although she felt as if the stoic tom could take more advantage of these meetings. I hate to think it, but the other medicine cats know more than we do - even the younger ones. We may be stronger and more mature- Ivysnake was sure she could beat any of these cats in a fight without any issues, and they certainly had pelts worthy of Dawnstar's collection -but they have knowledge that has been passed onto them by others. Deceased medicine cats of StarClan or mentors who taught them. Though selecting medicine cats had been a messy thing for the duration of Ivysnake's life. Mentors kept dying, so unknowledgeable warriors had to replace them. Elmshadow and I aren't helpless, she thought assertively. We know plenty of herbs. And we can communicate with both sets of ancestors. Not many could boast of speaking with both StarClan and the Dark Forest. Although Ivysnake certainly preferred the latter.

The life of a warrior ran through her veins. So did serving her Clan, and Ivysnake had no issues converting to this new life. She'd been a medicine cat apprentice for a few moons now; she was getting the hang of it. And Dawnstar was wise enough to not limit her to the usual boundaries medicine cats had. She could still be a warrior. She could still fight and run her claws through the pelts of her enemies. She could find a cat with a decent pelt and present it to her glorious leader. But Ivysnake was also bound to healing, to learning herbs and ways to treat sick or injured cats. Learning was something she'd always done best - once she was taught something, she never forgot it. Ivysnake loved learning. Knowledge provided as much power as claws, and she was willing to use every last piece. When she died and went to the Dark Forest - which she doubted had many medicine cats - she could train the next ShadowClan medicine cat. And the next. She'd never leave her Clan alone. My life belongs to them, but I have a life. I'm not a puppet. If I die, oh well. But I'm not planning on going anywhere anytime soon.

Ivysnake wasn't here to stand around, lost in thought. She had a meeting to attend to, a meeting where she learned from others and communicated with her ancestors. Redshrike had made her understand the importance of the other Clans, and so had Dawnstar, but they had not made her soft or loving toward them. They had just made her understanding. Wiser, not smarter. But enough of that. The medicine cat apprentice's sharp, piercing amber eyes shifted to Elmshadow as he described an herb he'd found. An herb he'd found and not told her about. Her previous frustration returned, and her eyes narrowed as she gazed at her mentor, whose dark fur blended into the rainy nighttime landscape. It was easy for Ivysnake to ignore the weather. It was just a thing she had to deal with. She wasn't going to complain about the wet. This was better than leaf-bare usually was, and she wasn't going to waste time whining. Anyway, Elmshadow and his herb. She paid close attention to his description of it, trying not to let her annoyance show in front of the others - although she gave her mentor a side-eyed glance that warned, If you keep withholding important information from me, I'm telling Dawnstar.

Ivysnake's attention was caught by Cowpaw's paw signs. She hadn't been paying full attention to what he'd been doing before, but she made a mental note to observe the signs more closely. From what she understood, Cowpaw could hear but couldn't speak; he was mute. However, having had a deaf apprentice - a deserter, but she had cared about him until he'd foolishly vanished - who used paw signs, albeit slightly different, made her interested. She'd talked to Cowpaw about potentially learning them, and she intended to, even if it was more for the sake of curiosity and communicating better with the WindClan medicine cat. Perhaps she could remind him. For such a huge cat, he had a small brain filled with love and dandelion fluff. Useless. Ivysnake opened her jaws, about to speak, when she realized that Cowpaw was now walking away... into the Starcave. After Cinderpaw or whatever her name was. She let out an exasperated exhale through her nostrils, her eyes rolling in unison, flashing against her rain-darkened fur. Not even waiting, huh? So, this was the start of the meeting, then. Though the WindClan medicine cat had no reason to follow Cinderpaw anywhere. She wasn't the one running this meeting. Irritation made Ivysnake's fur prickle. Despite its sleekness, it was looking spiky after the rain - especially around her face and tail - and this hostile gesture didn't help.

Fawnlight thought she could speak up, too. Give some kind of retort. Ivysnake's gaze shifted to the dappled light brown she-cat. She did not miss the suggestion in her voice. So, Fawnlight had gained some confidence. It was good that she wasn't being pathetic anymore. Yet she thought she could step on leaves (push buttons) - and Ivysnake wouldn't tolerate it. In any other scenario, she would've cut the RiverClan cat's throat out. But she didn't think she was allowed to do that at a medicine cat meeting, and besides, Dawnstar might not want to stir up more trouble with RiverClan at the moment. But as soon as we can... Fawnlight's pelt would make a nice addition to Dawnstar's collection. And the taste of her blood in Ivysnake's mouth would, too, even if it reeked of fish. But I do not care much about her or Cinderpaw. I'd rip into them if I could, but they're meager pests. However... I don't want the other Clans thinking ShadowClan is weak. That we will stand for these things. We may not have fought in a while, but when we do, I will rip out as many throats as I can reach.

"I wanted to make sure we didn't dawdle," Ivysnake replied, her face a mask of indifference despite the flash in her eyes and the blunt, almost uncaring tone of her voice. "I wasn't saying an overaged apprentice should determine the course of the medicine cat meeting." She glanced pointedly at the darkened entrance to the Starcave where Cinderpaw - and now Cowpaw - had disappeared. Then she looked back. It was odd that Fawnlight seemed to like Elmshadow so much. Probably because he was quiet. Ivysnake frowned slightly - not at the other medicine cat, but in thought. She had matured and improved at interacting with the other Clans, but she wasn't entirely acquainted to acting like a medicine cat instead of a warrior. Not that she wasn't a warrior, but... well, she wasn't, even if she could still perform warrior tasks. It was odd, that thought, but the point was, there seemed to be a certain etiquette for it. Ivysnake knew to be cautious to an extent, but she wasn't going to be nice. She shouldn't be nice to any of these cats, and she was allowed to be as opinionated as she wanted without stirring up a storm. She would not let ShadowClan be viewed as nice or weak, but she would be formal - although she wouldn't hold back entirely. She had no intentions of humoring the others.

Fawnlight decided to head into the cave, and Ivysnake followed suit. So, the meeting was about to begin. She felt no need to say anything else. The thick black shadows swallowed her up, turning her dark brown tabby pelt into a void, her piercing amber eyes being the only things to show through. Then there was light - the light of the Starcave, of the glittering crystal in its midst. Ivysnake showed no awe or wonder at the stone or its light. It washed out her pelt, chasing away the shadows - where she belonged - while reflecting in her sharp gaze. It was simply the place where she was to communicate with her ancestors. Twitching her tail-tip in acknowledgement to Fawnlight's head dip so the RiverClan she-cat didn't decide to push Ivysnake's leaves further and leave the fish without a medicine cat, Ivysnake leaned forward and settled onto her stomach. Then she pressed her black nose against the cold, hard surface. StarClan will speak to me, I'm sure. I doubt the Dark Forest responds to this light. Perhaps due to the dryness or whatever powers StarClan held down here, the medicine cat apprentice closed her eyes and was immediately asleep.

@Ravensong @x ghostie @daenerys @naiad @littlelove (Just so you know I went! )

New and Improved Character Bios!
Old January 26th, 2023, 05:13 PM
Raven

Bump Policy: 3 days | 2 days Time Sensitive
My Mood: Pensive

**Elmshadow**
@TheNyanCatMinecart @littlelove @naiad @daenerys @x ghostie

There was a new sharpness to Fawnlight, especially in the way she seemed to respond and react to Ivysnake. The attitude towards his clanmate irked him but, all the same, he found himself thinking differently of the once-timid Riverclanner due to it, something akin to respect, though he'd never say as much. Sundust's jovialness was still embarrassing to the stoic tom and Cowpaw's seeming naivety was old from the moment it began. His pelt began to prickle and his green eyes were pulled to the intent gaze of Ivysnake. Her expression was collected as he'd expect but there was a fierceness in her eye. He considered coolly that he'd found the herb while he was out on his own and had tested it to the extent he had while he was on his own, so it was knowledge the medicine cat apprentice apparently didn't know. The last halfmoon meeting had had a similar episode under Ivysnake's perturbance that he hadn't been blind to but had actively chosen to ignore. He hadn't told her before that he'd acquired new knowledge, so he took some responsibility in that, but since that meeting she'd never come to him so he'd allowed it to move to the back of his mind in favor of more pressing matters than chasing down a grown cat to give her his knowledge. Now, her direct stare moved away but the side-eye was loud and the fur on his spine prickled though he kept his fur flat, holding her gaze coolly. The pair had been appointed by Dawnstar at the same time and had both entered the rank with no knowledge and nearly no clear way to obtain it. Elmshadow had dedicated his first sleepless moons frequently away from camp in an effort to learn what he could. If Ivysnake wanted to play petulant child, expecting knowledge to fall in her lap, then it was her deserved place to fall behind. She was valuable to Shadowclan, a skilled fighter, a loyal she-cat, and sharp, both in wit and intelligence. Elmshadow respected the young she-cat but the blatant show of entitlement wouldn't continue to go on unchallenged. He had never considered Ivysnake his apprentice but rather his partner, apprentice only in name; he was wondering now if he'd made a mistake in giving her that much and if he'd instead have faired better in treating her as he had every other apprentice he'd trained. In any case, he hadn't seen the medicine cat apprentice anywhere outside of gatherings with the other medicine cats and training Shadowclan's young in warrior skills in order to exchange any knowledge with her. For that matter, he'd learned about the herb in question this particular time while he treated the greencough outbreak virtually on his own.

Elmshadow looked away from his apprentice, it was a matter for another time. At the moment there were far too many other eyes for any sort of discussion to be had between the two Shadowclanners and they had to carry on with the meeting. He blinked, taking a breath as the other medicine cats followed the Thunderclan warrior into the Starcave. He was relieved for the break in discussion and moved in behind the others. He didn't slow as the crystal came into view and didn't hesitate to copy the others, touching his nose to the cold surface and closing his eyes. Dark Forest or Starclan, he wasn't particularly interested in which chose to visit him. Thus far he'd communicated primarily with Starclan, which made sense to some degree in that most medicine cats, if not all, ended up among their starry ancestors. He wasn't sure if there were even Dark Forest cats with a significant amount of herb or healing knowledge, though he now wondered if he could seek them out at another time to find out. Another matter for another time, most likely. He let the pulling sleep drag him under.

Active Purrks
Elmshadow - The Collector
Cougarivy - Beefed Up
Sunsetpaw - Biligual, Flock Together:Tier 2
- - - - -
Character Site
- - - - -
Elmshadow
- - - - -
Shadowclan Healing
Old January 26th, 2023, 06:08 PM
visual novel enjoyer

Bump Policy: literally whenever
My Mood: Yeehaw

Staying by the entrance of the cave as medics filtered in, Cinderpaw watched one by one as they began their communication with the stars. The black and white one was almost too eager, bouncing in and beelining towards the gemstone to touch his nose to its’ no doubt cold surface. The others followed suit, including Ivysnake and Elmshadow (She scoffed. Nice, go and reward the clan that actively hated you because they were strong, Starclan! That will make everyone believe in your powers.), and she wondered why Thunderclan was the only one being ignored. Everything in this forest seemed to be their fault, and the other clans' businesses. The next time any cat even suggested they needed ‘help’, she wasn’t sure if she could keep her claws from their face. Quietly, her eyes' met Sundust's, and she for a moment wondered how much faith he had left to give, in both her and Starclan, to try this.

Well, she needed to get back on track. In an attempt to cool herself down, Cinderpaw found her paws repeating the signs Cowpaw had shown her… What had they meant? Sorry, hungry. Sorry, hungry. She repeated those two, almost inconsequential words to herself silently for a few moments before her eyes flickered upwards. It… was pretty quiet now, huh? The tabby now found the cave around her silent and sprawled with various sleeping bodies.

It seemed like she
was alone now.

Suddenly, her eyes bored into stone, as she wished she could cut holes in it with her glare. It seemed like her sign practice hadn’t done much to truly calm her. She was split between not knowing the point of being here if Starclan refused to even acknowledge them, and being able to chase after the slim chance of making them face their own actions. The longer the healers stayed still and unstirring in their sleep, however, dwindled her hope into near infinitesimal amounts - and if their last ditch effort was losing hope, then really what was the point of even trying again?

That was Starclan’s thing. They refused to see how Thunderclan tried, and tried, and tried again because they couldn’t stay stable. They couldn’t see the very cats neglecting the stability were the ones the stars named as their leadership, so they punished the people instead. It was like that was all those sorry excuses for deities did these days. Cinderpaw’s breath quickened with rage, and the apprentice found herself slowly, but surely drawn towards the very bane of her existence.

Claws clicking against stone, she padded forward to find herself up close and personal with the gem. Her breath billowed out and fogged up its’ sleek and shiny surface, covering up the reflection of her in its’ many faces. The tabby’s face twisted into a scowl. For a moment, one of the many mirror images didn’t look like her amidst the condensation, instead morphing her into a light grey with darker spots. She could have sworn that was…

It was almost like they were taunting her.

“... Y’think this is funny, huh? Ignoring us after everything. Se-sending me back here to clean up your mess, or suffer for the rest of this life, or whatever.” Her gravely voice came out in a snarl who’s ferocity surprised even her. “Cindersky, I’m not playing right now, dammit. Why do y-you stay with them? What has Starclan done except abandon us over and over again? We didn’t choose Aspenstar. We didn’t choose Eveningstar. We didn’t choose Dogbark, or– or Roseraven, or least of all Dawnstripe! But we still get punished, we still get killed in choices and wars we had no say in. And Starclan d-doesn’t even care, ‘cause apparently we haven’t been beaten into the ground enough!"

White-hot fires blazed in her eyes as she stared right into the glassy surface, mist fading away and revealing to the tabby her own face. Seeing her own rage only made her burn brighter.

“If you think you’re what makes us a clan, then give us a s-starsdamned reason to believe in you!”

Reeling back a forepaw and unsheathing her claws out as far as they would go, Cinderpaw let out a roar and slammed it down upon the stone. They cut small grooves and emitted an unholy screeching sound as she slowly but surely dragged them down the face of the crystal. The image of her face was fractured by the scratches and morphed even further.

“I don’t care th-that this stupid rock supposed to be holy. I won’t stop until you give Thunderclan an an-answer for why we’re the ones to blame for the ideas you give us? Why it’s okay when the other clans break the code to kill us? Why the kids are still the only ones being h-hurt by what adults do, like Sharpeye, or Redfur's kits? Why do you only care about being right like every other grown up cat in this c-crappy forest!?”

Sins were only sins when her kind committed them. “Cindersky, please…!”

Her clawstrokes weren’t enough. As she dug her talons as deep into the monolith as she could, in her fit of rage Cinderpaw whipped her head back. The apprentice’s skull let out a hollow knock as she hit its’ glassy surface, and the moment her nose came into contact with it she was out like a light.

Come the end of the meeting, the other healers would awaken to find her slumped against the gem, claws still embedded into the milky quartz and most likely attempt to rouse and interrogate her for her vandalism of their monument. But for now, Cinderpaw found herself diving deeper and deeper into a land eerily familiar yet foreign to her.

[ @x ghostie @naiad @daenerys @Ravensong @TheNyanCatMinecart

... surpriiiiiiise !]
Old January 27th, 2023, 12:03 PM
By Unpopular Demand: Me

Bump Policy: Every three days.
My Mood: Devilish

“Well, are you going to do it, or what?” Blackshiver asked, her eyes narrowed at Silverbark. Little details like her eye color were fading, now, and Dogbark found that they seemed to fluctuate like a river. One moment they were blue, another they were green.
The sky was a robin’s egg blue this morning, and the birds tittered in the trees like gossiping queens. The sun played over the water, giving it a sparkling, shiny appearance. The air was comfortably warm, and Dogbark felt like he could just sit here, enjoying this moment forever. Alas, he could not.
“What do you mean?” Silverbark asked, his paws sinking into the bank of the sunkissed creek. He was watching his distorted reflection in the water, his handsome features marred. It was especially ripply around his muzzle.
“You know you want to jump in,” She purred, shoving him lightly in the shoulder as she referred to the snowmelt-swelled creek, “You know how to swim,” She pointed out as Silverbark opened his mouth to argue.
“I… can’t,” Dogbark meowed, breaking the flow of the dream. Blackshiver’s mouth hung agape as she watched him, a look of horror on her face. Dogbark felt the blood begin to trickle across his maw.
There was a lag in the dream, and if Dogbark had any knowledge of twoleg video games, he might have referred to such a lag as a glitch, but he had no such metaknowledge. Dogbark took one last glance around the pretty setting as Blackshiver spoke again. This time, her cheerful tone was gone.
“Why?” She hissed as the dream shuddered into a dream-version of the dark forest. There was a pond in front of them, stars reflected in its surface, though the sky was void of any such wonders. Blackshiver stood and charged at him, blood dripping from the gash in her throat, “What are you, a baby?”
Dogbark loathed the dark forest version of his sister that his subconscious mind dreamt up, but he knew that is wasn’t actually her. In fact, he was absolutely sure that it was just his negative thoughts taking form. Though, in a dream, he didn’t know that, and he was terrified.
“No,” He meowed softly, his pupils turning to slits as he backed away from his sister, “I-I’m not a baby, I just don’t want to.”
Blackshiver’s hackles sprung up, and her claws unsheathed as she glared at her brother with eyes blazing with hate,
“You want to get back home, don’t you, stupid? It’s the only way, unavoidable! You’re just scared.”
Dogbark glanced at the shimmering pool. He gulped, fear welling up inside of him.
“But I don’t know if I can, Blackshiver,” He whispered, his heart pounding, his blood roaring in his ears, “I really don’t know if I’m brave enough to try.”
“You are a baby, Silverbark,” Her tone was dark, dangerous, “You’re not worthy of being a StarClan warrior. You belong in the dark forest! With me!” She lets out a bitter laugh as she advances forwards, “Admit it!”
“No! I’m not like you at all, the dark forest is for killers!”

But Blackshiver doesn’t reply. Instead, she leaps at Dogbark, claws extended as she rips out his throat.
_

Dogbark shuddered awake, clutching his throat, and his head smashed against the underside of the rock that he slept beneath, but he felt no pain, only the force of the impact. Cursed StarClan safety nets.
The StarClan sky was bright as always, and the grass, a luscious blue-green, tickled Dogbark’s paws as he stood up and walked to the edge of the pond, where he splashed some water on his face to fully awaken himself and shake away any scraps of the nightmare.
Dogbark hated dreaming, he had thought that, after death, one would cease to dream, but that was apparently not the case. He sighed, he would just have to deal with it.
The nightmare was fading now, and Dogbark scarcely remembered what had made it a nightmare in the first place. But the one thing he did remember…
Dogbark’s eyes flicked to the pond’s surface before he looked away again.
Stupid nightmares, He thought to himself, glaring at nothing in particular ahead of him, Making me paranoid about literal Heaven! Figures. I can’t catch a break even when dead. I should probably just stop sleeping. I don’t need to, anyway.
Dogbark frowned as he looked about himself. It seemed like no one had bothered to wander into Dogbark’s little slice of stomping grounds, so he had no one to talk to. He grumbled.
The main problem with StarClan was fighting boredom when your family doesn’t care about you, and that was rather difficult.
So, Dogbark decided he’d go to the forest and find himself something tasty to eat. Sure, it was always super easy to catch all the fat prey that wandered the forest, but sometimes Dogbark could find a particularly wily piece of prey, and it would provide him with enough of a chase to satisfy his needs in the moment.
The forest was beautiful, but Dogbark payed it no mind. He wasn’t in the mood for admiring the scenery. He never really was, but that was totally besides the point.
Dogbark found himself wandering further than he usually trekked, propelled by some invisible force. Dogbark let it lead him, though, as he had nothing to do, and he wasn’t worried about anything hurting him in these starry forests. He padded down a well-worn trail until he reached a cave that seemed to just radiate StarClan energy. Dogbark’s oddly scar-free muzzle scrunched up.
Why do I need to go in there? He wondered, pausing a couple tail-lengths from the cave entrance, his tail whipping from side to side as he studied the cave, Well… I suppose there’s only one way to find out…
Dogbark padded into the cave and followed a winding path until he reached a cavern, and his breath hitched in his throat. In front of him were six cats, most of which he recognized, though a couple of them were strangers to him.
He realized quickly where he was, the Starcave. He must have come in through a StarClan-exclusive back entrance.
Medicine cats, He thought, It must be the half-moon meeting… but why am I here, and not a better representing member of StarClan? A dead ThunderClan deputy who didn’t make much of a splash when alive is not the best cat to meet with the medicine cats. But, whatever. Who was Dogbark to argue with the forces of life and death (and, apparently, who showed up for the little shiny rock parties.)?
Speaking of who showed up to little shiny rock parties… Cinderpaw was there as the sixth member of the medicine cat squad, yet she didn’t settle at the rock like the others. Hm, was she a guard, Dogbark wondered? Or was she just… there? Did she have something she wanted? Did she just want to visit the sacred place?
Dogbark felt something like a spiritual tapping on the shoulder, so he was just about to pull them all into a communal dream (excluding Cinderpaw, as she was neither touching the stone nor a medicine cat.), when Cinderpaw started kind of freaking out.
This, Dogbark wanted to watch.
She seemed to be crying out to Cindersky, which was fine by Dogbark, she was the better of ThunderClan’s past leadership after all. She was lashing out at StarClan, saying that they never chose Eveningstar, him (ouch, but true. Though, he wondered why Aspenstar wasn’t mentioned.), or… Roseraven? Dogbark was a bit confused, he’d been out of the loop for a moment or so, what had happened with Roseraven?
Anyway, when she had finished, Dogbark expected that to be that, but what he saw next was… bad. Cinderpaw sank her claws into the sacred stone, and Dogbark couldn’t even blame her. He was just as angry at StarClan for letting bad things happen to his clan. So, as Cinderpaw slumped against the stone, Dogbark drew the medicine cats into a dream. He’d keep Cinderpaw’s little secret for the time time he was meeting with the medicine cats. He wasn’t a snitch. Besides, Cinderpaw’s deed would be known when the medicine cats awoke.
StarClan’s hunting grounds were insufferably bright compared to the darkness of the Starcave, and Dogbark found himself blinking in the sunlight as he awaited further instruction from whatever driving force had been commanding him earlier. He found his eyes drawn to young Cowpaw, and a moment of realization settled on him.
Naming ceremony, He thought, I’m in charge of Cowpaw’s naming ceremony. I can’t screw this up, then.
Dogbark stepped forward, his heart (Do StarClan cats have hearts?) pounding in a rhythm of “Don’t screw up. Don’t screw up. Don’t screw the hell up!”. His eyes momentarily flicked to meet Sundust’s, and he resisted the urge to say something to ThunderClan’s medicine cat as he opened his mouth facing Cowpaw.
“I, Dogbark, Warrior of StarClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. He has trained hard to understand the ways of a medicine cat, and with your help he will serve his Clan for many moons,” So far so good. The words just seemed to be flowing from him at this point, “Cowpaw, do you promise to uphold the ways of a medicine cat, to stand apart from rivalry between Clan and Clan and to protect all cats equally, even at the cost of your life?”
Dogbark paused for a moment, giving Cowpaw a moment to respond in whatever way he really wished, as long as it meant “I do”.
“Then by the powers of StarClan I give you your true name as a medicine cat. Cowpaw,” This would be the last time anyone addressed Cowpaw as an apprentice, Dogbark realized with a swell of warmth in his chest, “From this moment on you will be known as…” Dogbark almost felt the blood drain from his face. What was Cowpaw’s new name supposed to be? He’d never chosen someone’s name before, he realized.
Suddenly, as if someone was speaking in his ear, he heard the name clear as day, and he continued on with the ceremony,
“…Cowtuft! StarClan honors your kindness, trustworthiness, and empathy, and we welcome you as a full medicine cat of WindClan.”
Okay, whew, that was over. Dogbark had never felt so high-anxiety since the days of pretty much both his and Aspenstar’s deaths. He was happy to have been given the honor of doing this, but he was glad it was over, just because he’d been so afraid of messing up.
“Congratulations, Cowtuft,” He meowed, breaking the elusive StarClan profile for a moment to warmly touch Cowtuft’s forehead with his nose, “You’re going to be an amazing medicine cat.”
Dogbark drew back his nose, and was just about to turn to Sundust and ask him how ThunderClan was faring, he even got so far as to start with “How is-“ when something like an odd chill went up his spine. He shivered. Something was wrong.

@x ghostie @naiad @daenerys @Ravensong @TheNyanCatMinecart @littlelove
(Surprise number two electric boogaloo.)

Last edited by Willowfern; January 27th, 2023 at 12:07 PM.
Old January 27th, 2023, 11:32 PM
:P

Status: 彡 ╰► hiatus ; ghost of a werewolf lurking bout forums✩˚。⋆
Bump Policy: ‧₊˚✩彡 oh Gods oh gods oh ogds oh godf hngrj tggggd.99p4t,sfkkk
My Mood: Lurking

Exclamation ☆ dear starchild, this is the day you died ☆

❀ ೃ⁀➷ @daenerys @Willowfern @Ravensong @TheNyanCatMinecart @naiad @littlelove @Pheasantflight ||
The tom’s eyes fluttered open as he awoke, thoughts hazy as he began to stir. As his vision adjusted, he laid there quietly, watching the sky with awe and relishing in the tranquility that seemed embedded in the atmosphere. Cowpaw let out a soft sigh, slowly pushing himself up into a sitting position. Taking the chance to survey his surroundings, it appeared he was the only one to arrive. A yawn rolled out his mouth, shoulders rolling back. What a pretty meadow. Dappled with flowers he hadn’t seen since New-Leaf.

If there was one thing he was thankful for, it was the simple fact he was here. Given the chance to walk the path of a medicine cat, it was the highest honor. To serve his clan in an atypical way, to stay true to his own interests. Sometimes Cowpaw was convinced he was still dreaming. Wouldn’t that be funny, to dream inside a dream? The thought earned a chuckle from him.

The other medicine cats were soon to arrive. Ah, he hoped he hadn’t offended them with his haste. He simply could not wait to talk to his ancestors. It was not a pleasure he took for granted. However, his attention wasn’t quite diverted to them, instead, the gentle giant found himself looking at … With a tilt of his head and a squint of his eyes, he could make out stars sparkling in the starclanner’s pelt.

Ah!! With an excited squeak, Cowpaw dipped down into a brief bow to show respect. Eyes beginning to twinkle, oh golly, he hoped he wasn’t looking like a mess. He didn’t, he didn’t know what to say! An introduction, a greeting? Why was this cat here? Not as if he was complaining but, he hoped all was well. Lifting his head up, his ears perked up as… oh, Dogbark - what a lovely name - begun to speak. Eyebrows furrowed to form a small crinkle, a ceremony? He looked around, Ivysnake already had her full name. Perhaps it was getting changed?

No. Thank the stars above, his confusion turned into pure joy as Dogbark spoke his name. No one else’s. His time had come. After what seemed long moons going by, pushing himself to grow and be his very best version of himself, it was his time. Starclan had come to answer his prayers. Thoughts whirled around about what his name was going to be, tears of happiness began to form in his heterochromic gaze.

Cowpaw stood as tall as he could and when the question was asked, he nodded his head once, twice, and a third. I do. I do. I do. A promise for the lifetime. He would serve his clan as their healer till the day he died. This was his destiny. Starclan had chosen him for this, and all the struggles he took here was worth it.

His heart soared with glee and he had found himself standing, tail high in the air with unparalleled pride. Prideness that was pure; a symbol of self love. Love for Starclan, love for his clan, love for his life. He smiled with the brightness of a thousand suns. He looked back to his fellow medicine cats, interested to gauge their reactions.

Cowtuft

The splotched tom turned to Dogbark, mouth agape. Oh, it felt .. just right. Cowtuft. It rolled off the tongue with a ring. The feelings of comfortability he felt could be compared to the first time he realized he was a boy. A tom. His true self.

Cowtuft was convinced tears were beginning to fall from his eyes as Dogbark stepped forward and pressed his nose to his forehead. Warmth flooded through his body and if he couldn’t feel the grass rustling against his legs, he would believe he was floating. He lifted a paw to bring it to his mouth and pull back. “Thank you... Truly. This is an honor.. I will do my absolute best.. Starclan and Windclan has.. my pure devotion.. “ He took a step back, ready to rejoin his fellow medicine cats.

Damn, kid, honestly? I’m impressed! You really made it this far, really, props to you, “ The sentiment was laced with resentment and rung true of cruelty. The familiar voice had Cowtuft stopping cold in his tracks. The fur on the back of his nape began to rise and he felt frozen with fear. “I was thinking of a name like Cowmoon or something but, you know what? Cowtuft is cute, let’s stick with that. “

Oh.

Oh god.

The medicine cat turned to face the predator that came out of the evergreen. Once luscious and full of life, the area around the warrior had begun to rot and decay. The color slowly begins to drain away. The meadow that had once clearly belonged to Starclan now had the Dark Forest’s name scribbled across it. A tall tom that was primarily a dilute brown color with a white chest and belly was the perpetrator of this oncoming darkness. What? No greeting? Not even a smile? You remember me, don’t you? Flickerlight? Honestly, wounded if you could forget me. After all, the reason you are standing here is because of me, “ The warrior now known as Flickerlight let out a cackling laughter, muscles rippling under his pelt. Sleek tail lashing back and forth behind him as he approached the small group.

Cowtuft took a cautious step back, ears flattening to his skull. His nightmares had come to life. He offered a defiant shake of his head, on instinct, his claws unsheathing. There was a beat of silence. An exchange of looks.

Fine, “ Flickerlight hissed with venom, snapping his head to the other four medicine cats. “You want to know a little secret about your friend Cow-y? It’s a really juicy one. You see, he’s been lying! Silly, I’ll just say it outright. I ain’t a fan of all that cryptid nonsense. Cowtuft was not handpicked from Starclan! The prophecy that was given to Peachfrost and then later him? It was all a fraud. Quite proud of it actually, after all, I’m the one who handcrafted it. It was a part of our deal, isn’t that right, Cowtuft?” Everytime he spoke the name it was spoken with disgust. He seemed to be waiting for a response from the tom, even a few gestures but there was nothing. A scowl growing on Flickerlight’s lips in replace of the smirk. It appeared that every response he was not given, his annoyance only grew. There was a point. A silent point. He was not very patient.

Cowtuft couldn’t even process what this .. stars, maniac was speaking of. Before today, he thought .. he thought the nightmares had been.. nightmares. That was all. How could this happen? To him? Was his efforts not enough? What did… what did Flickerlight mean? ..

Was he a fraud?

He looked to Dogbark for answers with a desperate plea, he was a Starclanner! He had the answers, right? He had to know what was going on. He didn’t want to listen to these cruel words Flickerlight was saying. A soft and quiet whimper came from him, a frantic shake of his head. This was a lie. It had to be.

Whatever it was, the Dark Forest cat seemed pleased at the final reaction he was getting out of the tom. “What? Toad stuck in your throat?” He snickered, moving on, “You see - the deal was Cowtuft is placed as Windclan’s medicine cat and in return, he’ll do a few favors for little ol’ me. Small issue, he didn’t bother to hold up the end of his deal! Rude, whatever, honestly, “ Flickerlight gave a dismissive shrug of his shoulders.

“Believe me, don’t believe me. I really don’t care. I do not gain or lose anything from this. It has to make you think, though, doesn’t it?” Gray eyes shifted to Elmshadow and Ivysnake. “You two seem smart. Shadowclan, correct? Hasn’t his kindness ever unnerved you? There’s a difference between someone sweet like, hm, “ He narrowed his eyes at Fawnlight. Not awfully familiar with her but, he heard a few basic stories from Cowtuft himself. “You, Fawn.. ugh, something. See, you’re genuine. On the other paw, “ A laugh escaped from Flickerlight, “Well. You get my point. Something just ain’t right.”

Cowtuft gave another defiant shake of his head, “I would.. never! I wouldn’t.. betray Starclan… dealing with you would be a betrayal to them.. myself.. and my clan. Why are you being.. cruel..?” He gestured desperately, attempting to defend himself. With a roll of Flickerlight’s eyes, “Cruel? Me? That’s ironic. I can’t even name all the cats that have died under your care.”

What? Cowtuft’s eyebrows furrowed together.

“I mean, there was Fireflame.. Featherfoot. Bravebird.. Fireflymeadow. Huh, wasn’t there a kit? Swiftkit? A sibling of sorts to them if not? You want me to go on? Oh! Man, wonder why Peachfrost disappeared almost directly after she received the prophecy I gave her. “

Was.. he applying that .. bile rose up in the gentle giant’s throat and he lifted his paws to bury his face in them, shaking his head back and forth.

“Or why Cowtuft just happened to be in the right place at the right time when Twilightstar came to Peachfrost’s former den. Happening to find marigolds on what, the premise of sleepwalking?”

A maniacal laughter started to come from Flickerlight, shoulders shaking with a burning rage. His plan that had failed. At all of this. “Whatever. Whatever, believe what you want! I am here to bestow my kindness. Awful if you trust the wrong cat for help and your patient ends up dead, or hey! Worse, you! So, I’ll let you make your own opinions ‘bout little Cow-y here. Be distrustful of me if you will, but I won’t be holding back any of my told you so’s.” With a click of his tongue against the roof of his mouth, a hazy look clouded over Flickerlight’s eyes.

Cowtuft looked to … were they his friends? Could he call them that? Did.. did they believe this … liar? He wanted to hope, wanted to pray that they would see through his lies but, if he was in their position - he could see himself having doubts.

Suddenly, his ears perked up and grey eyes snapped to Sundust. “Isn’t it your lucky day? Seems like someone wants you elsewhere. Well, I’ve said my peace. So fun to meet you all, I bid you adieu, “ He laughed, letting his unsettling stare settle upon each and every one of them.

The King lifted his paw and slammed it against the ground. The sky broke in two, lightning striking across followed by the sound of a loud thunder. Cowtuft could hear the sound of his own hopes and dreams breaking.

Wake up.

Cowtuft’s eyes snapped awake.

The cold stone floor was welcoming when a fire was running through his veins. He laid there, motionlessly, blinking away tears with a desperateness. What? What had even happened? Was this all not a dream?

❝ hold on tight to this time,
this place 'cause everything you know will be erased.
you were born inside your head.
and that is where you'll be when you are dead. ❞

-- currently on a hiatus until further notice --
pronouns.cc

Last edited by wolfie; January 28th, 2023 at 12:39 AM.
Old January 30th, 2023, 09:13 PM
as long as i breathe

Bump Policy: 3 days / 1 if time sensitive
My Mood: Kingly

Drawing awake in StarClan's hunting grounds was something that would never grow old to the brown dappled medicine cat. Blue eyes fluttered open and she pushed herself to her paws. Stars glistened all around and light was much brighter here (perhaps bright enough to irritate the pelt of Ivysnake, which Fawnlight would enjoy silently). She glanced over at Cowpaw who was there as well with a light smile before turning to the cat before them.

She wasn't familiar with him until he spoke his name. Dogbark? Fawnlight wasn't entirely certain who that was, but Cowpaw seemed to recognize him if the dip of his head was anything to go by. Fawnlight mirrored her friend and smiled warmly at the StarClan ancestor. It was a bit odd that she seemed to be in the same dream as the WindClan medicine cat; was something special happening? Oh. As Dogbark spoke of Cowpaw's name, the RiverClan medicine cat let out a squeak of excitement. Her friend was getting his full name! Joy sparked in her paws as she watched the giant tom excitedly.

Cowtuft! "Congratulations, Cowtuft! I'm so proud of you, friend!" A wide grin cracked across Fawnlight's face as she lifted her paws in a soft cheer for the WindClan medicine cat. It fit him well, and went together quite well. They both had their names now, and something about it swelled her heart with warmth. Blue eyes gazed at her friend with admiration shining within them, so happy that he was finally a full medicine cat just like her.

Suddenly a chill swept through the air and Fawnlight blinked. Confused, the young she-cat took a look around her, the surroundings seemingly growing a tad darker in what she could see. Then a rather sinister voice spoke, and she turned around to see an unfamiliar cat making their way out of the undergrowth behind them. Who was this? And why were they speaking as if they knew Cowtuft??

With the life from the StarClan dreamland seeming to drain away, Fawnlight tucked her ears against her head and worry creased her face. "Cowtuft? What's happening?" she inquired, though her voice was rather soft and quiet. Something about... him being her being due to this cat? What?? A confused look to her friend before her gaze went back to this darkness bringer. Chills crept up her spine as she stood in place, blue eyes shimmering with concern.

Cowtuft... had been selected by the Dark Forest? Doubt gripped her heart easily and Fawnlight glanced at Cowtuft. She didn't believe it, not for one second. The tom was her friend. He was kind and gentle and empathetic. He offered her a paw when no one else in the healing world really had. He was Cowtuft. Her name drew her attention back and Fawnlight only narrowed her eyes. Whoever this was, was clearly lying, and the dappled brown she-cat would not stand for it. "You're lying. Cowtuft is genuine and kind, I know he is." She would be here standing by her friends side no matter what, that much was clear.

As the figure started to fade from view, Fawnlight looked at Cowtuft - her friend, Cowtuft. There was a fierceness in her eyes, sharp and clear. "Don't listen to him, Cowtuft, he's got minnows in his brain. You are WindClan's true medicine cat, and it's been your hard work that has put you where you are, nothing else." Stars, did he believe her? After all, that Flickeringlight had been pretty cruel.

There wasn't anytime to comfort her friend as the loud crack of thunder split the sky and immediately darkness washed over Fawnlight once more.

-

Awakening with a start the RiverClan medicine cat's eyes flew open and immediately she crawled over to Cowtuft's side. Nestling her flank against his, she aimed to draw her tongue over his ears in a swift yet comforting lick. "Don't listen to him, Cowtuft. You're a great medicine cat, okay? I know it. You are kind and brilliant and selfless and..." Fawnlight would've continued on, had her eyes not caught sight of something... awful. Deep gouges in the shimmering stone that held their connection to StarClan. Signs of claws raked against it, chips of the rock having fell to the cave floor. Tears sprung to her eyes as she took it in, eventually her eyes trailing down to the culprit; Cinderpaw.

Something akin to burning hot anger engulfed her heart and Fawnlight couldn't stop the tears from falling. Still by Cowtuft's side, the dappled brown medicine cats' mouth was agape, eyes glistening in horror. "What... What did she do?" What had the ThunderClan apprentice done? Had that happened while they were all asleep?? Why... why had she struck such a sacred part of Clan history like... like it was nothing?? Suddenly her limbs began to tremble and she ducked back down near Cowtuft, as if perhaps being beside her friend would not only aid him in strength to also provide her with some sense of security that had been ripped away from her at what was left of the Starcave.

[ @naiad @littlelove @Ravensong @TheNyanCatMinecart @x ghostie @Willowfern ]

"and so with my face turned up to the rain... i live."
character site | about me | roleplay tracker | toyhouse
Old February 3rd, 2023, 08:19 PM

Bump Policy: I'm not sure yet.
My Mood: Tired

~ IVYSNAKE OF SHADOWCLAN ~

Tall dark brown she-cat with black stripes and amber eyes.

Ivysnake's eyes shot open. Light flooded into them, burning her retinas, and she blinked against it, despite herself. If this was an interaction with her ancestors, she didn't want to waste time getting up. So, before she had fully processed the landscape, she rose to her paws. Her movements were neat despite the sunlight filling her vision with dazzling white, and by the time her legs straightened, everything became clear, as if a veil had suddenly lifted. The landscape that stretched out before her was lush, carrying the scents of life and fresh growth. Prey squeaked in the vibrant green grass, and their musky odor mingled with the too-sweet smell of blooming flowers. Ivysnake's nostrils flared. It smelled of light, happiness, paradise, and weakness. No doubt it was StarClan territory. It had to be. The ShadowClan medicine cat apprentice had never been here, but the presence of their starry ancestors was obvious.

So, this is where the warrior-code-loving fools go when they die. Ivysnake's gaze flitted around the area she was standing in. The other medicine cats were nearby, their pelts glowing in the strong sunlight that seeped into Ivysnake's pelt. Her eyes narrowed, though she did not display any other show of unhappiness or discomfort. It was bright here. Too bright. She preferred the shadows, the darkness, the scent of marshland and blood that she'd grown accustomed to in her Clan and the Dark Forest. She didn't belong here. But she supposed, as a rising medicine cat - even as a rising ShadowClan medicine cat - she was supposed to have a paw in StarClan, although it wasn't her preferred method of communication. The other star-loving fools, besides Elmshadow, must be delighted, she thought scornfully, her gaze discreetly roving over the others once more. But enough of staring at the others. She hardly cared about them. This dream was about their ancestors and whatever message they had concerning her, Elmshadow, and ShadowClan, not medics from the other Clans. Ivysnake's attention moved away from the others and fixed straight ahead. Whatever was coming for them would surely approach from the front. Everyone was looking that way, anyway.

Sure enough, a StarClan cat was heading their way. It had to be - his gray tabby fur was alight with stars that gave him an unusual ethereal glow, highlighted by the golden rays of the sun. For a StarClan cat, his territory sure was bright and sunny. And... Ivysnake squinted at him. He looked familiar, but at the same time, different, and not because of the stars in his fur. Ah. He spoke before Ivysnake could ponder much, revealing himself as Dogbark, ThunderClan's former deputy. Her eyes narrowed into amber slits. Oh, she'd heard plenty about him. Other than one brief interaction at a Gathering when she'd been an apprentice, she knew he was one of ThunderClan's failures, not stepping up to leadership when he should've... or something like that. He'd paved the way for ShadowClan's takeover of ThunderClan, along with Nectarflame. Despite failing his Clan, he ended up here. Her lip curled. What were StarClan's standards?

And something was missing. Dogbark had been known for his notable scars, especially one on his face, but there were none. It was as if they had been wiped clean, reverted back to healed flesh and lush gray fur. It was odd, to say the least. Had StarClan done this? Why? Do they think scars are ugly or something like that? Ivysnake's gaze grew more intense, flashing a sharp, piercing shade of amber in the sunlight and greatly contrasting her dark fur. She must be a shadow in this world of light. Peace-loving fools. Scars were nothing to be ashamed of, nor was strength. And they said the Dark Forest was bad. The cats they deem "evil" are strong, and the cats they deem "good" are weak. The other Clans had such skewed perspectives. Only ShadowClan was proper. Only ShadowClan was right. When would the others follow suit? But perhaps that was another reason why ShadowClan was special. Superior. There had to be a balance, according to Dawnstar and Redshrike.

Anyway, Dogbark was here for... a ceremony. Cowpaw's ceremony. Ivysnake looked at the large, fluff-brained tom. It was about time. But why, out of all cats, was Dogbark performing it? Why not a former WindClan medicine cat instead of a failure of a deputy? Or did StarClan not care who they sent? Ivysnake would've rolled her eyes, but she felt that would've been a bit informal, despite not caring much about what the other Clans thought. So, she watched Cowpaw, gauging the medicine cat's reaction. Cowpaw had gotten into a bow - ugh, now she really wanted to roll her eyes, or maybe tear out his throat so WindClan and the other medicine cats didn't have to deal with such a soft idiot - and now was looking confused. He even looked at her, for the Dark Forest's sake. Then his expression turned to one of joy, and he was nodding emphatically. Ivysnake watched with little interest. Why had they all been pulled in for this? She didn't particularly care about his ceremony, nor did she hold any opinions toward his name, Cowtuft, although now it meant he wasn't stuck with an apprentice name. Why couldn't we get sucked into our own dreams instead of having to watch his? Maybe this was how it worked for medicine cats - they got dreams like this as one. StarClan thought they were all connected, perhaps. And, in a way, they were. Though Ivysnake and Elmshadow would never be as attached to the others as the others were to each other.

The traits Dogbark listed for Cowtuft were almost laughable, if Ivysnake had been one for laughing. Kindness, trustworthiness, and empathy? Ivysnake wouldn't be caught dead being described like that. The cat who used those descriptors would. But it made sense... for him. The dark brown tabby she-cat watched the preceding moments dully, her reactions mainly internal as she eyed Cowtuft's overemotional excitement and Fawnlight's too-friendly congratulations - though there was obvious judgment in her eyes - and when the dream began to shift, she thought it was over. Well, that was useless. Nothing gained but a new name. Nothing that concerned Ivysnake and Elmshadow other than a full-named medicinecat. What did her mentor think? Ivysnake's gaze flitted to him curiously, but before she could read the gray-and-black tom's face, the landscape evolved into something she was much more well acquainted with.

The Dark Forest.

Also known as the Place of No Stars.

The lush green grass turned into bare, slimy ground, and the sunlight turned into darkness, eternal shadow under a black sky with no stars, blotted out by trees that forever stretched up, up, up and their bare branches. Warmth was replaced by cold mist. Ivysnake breathed it in, letting it seep into her pelt. It was jarring after the sunlight, but it was welcome, and she adjusted quickly. Here, she wasn't highlighted in light. Here, she was in the dark, the shadows, where she belonged. But what was happening? Had she been transported into her own dream? No. She looked around and found the other medicine cats there. So, they were all here. How come? Had the Dark Forest decided to give the others a taste of true power, of a true afterlife to look forward to?

Then she saw it. Cowtuft was standing at the front, his white fur like a beacon in the darkness, only broken by his black splotches. He looked... uncomfortable. Scared. Of course he does. And there was another cat, one who Ivysnake didn't know, but he was obviously from the Dark Forest. His fur was wreathed in the same mist as the forest, and he was slightly translucent. He was a diluted brown color that blended into the background, but his white markings standing out in opposition to the gloom, like an inversion of Cowtuft. Flickerlight, he introduced himself as. And the words he spoke were... interesting, to say the least. They had Ivysnake leaning forward, ears pricked, eyes flashing intensely. This intrigued her far more than Dogbark's nonsense. Speaking of which, the StarClan cat was still there, watching everything, but, as interesting as his reactions would be, Ivysnake was invested. The shadows called to her, not the stars.

When Flickerlight turned to her and Elmshadow, Ivysnake's attention immediately snapped to him. She faced him with no fear, only curiosity and a willingness to listen. He seemed to be implying... no, more than that, saying... that everything with Cowtuft was a plot. A ploy. A way for the Dark Forest to make its way into WindClan. Oh? This was intriguing. Very much so. Ivysnake found it hard to believe that Cowtuft was in any way evil or in cohorts... She looked at the large tom, who was looking quite mortified. Was it over being exposed, or was the Dark Forest cat revealing his plan as opposed to Cowtuft's? The WindClan medicine cat's reactions seemed genuine, but Ivysnake wondered whether he was as foolishly kind as he presented himself. Then again, many cats were frog-brained like that. Either way, seeing someone from this place of darkness and power so invested in WindClan... so invested in Cowtuft, of all cats... Ivysnake would not soon forget this.

The tall she-cat absorbed the rest of the information, about Flickerlight's paw in guiding Cowtuft to the position of medicine cat. Fawnlight tried objecting. Of course she did. Ivysnake rolled her eyes this time. Then the sky broke in two and lightning crashed, driving the dream to an abrupt halt. The world closed in, dark and cold, and Ivysnake found chilled stone beneath her stomach and numbing her nose. Her eyes blinked open. The moonlight had faded, leaving the crystal a flicker of its former self, and she heard the noises of a warm, furry body shuffling against stone. Turning, she saw Fawnlight curling up against Cowtuft. She narrowed her eyes at them. What was this, the next forbidden romance? She was annoyed with Fawnlight, as usual, and Cowtuft looked so weak, with tears sparkling in his mismatched eyes. Yet now she held a new interest in him. Why was the Dark Forest so invested? Why had they chosen to guide him into the path of medicine cat? Was it because of his naivety, perhaps? Ivysnake found it hard to believe Cowtuft had intentionally orchestrated this... but who knew. What mattered was that the Dark Forest was involved somehow. And things just got much more interesting. Usually, Ivysnake didn't care much for the other Clans, but this... it felt different, especially now that she was training to be a medicine cat.

Then she saw Fawnlight's gaze drift elsewhere and her eyes widening as she stared at something. Ivysnake followed it and found an... interesting sight. Cinderpaw was lying at the base of the glittering crystal that held all the power of StarClan, and the crystal itself was marred, with claw marks running down it and glimmering bits of the gem surrounding the unconscious ThunderClan cat. They gleamed in the gloom like dying stars. What happened here? she wondered, rising to her paws. Well, it was obvious enough. Fawnlight asked, her voice filled with horror and anger, and the tall tabby turned to face her. Her eyes displayed as much care as if she had spotted a piece of grass on the moor. Which is to say, none at all.

"It's obvious. Cinderpaw, or whatever her name is, decided to have a tantrum while we were all asleep," Ivysnake replied bluntly. Maybe she should care about the marring of the crystal, but she didn't. It served StarClan right. No, what annoyed her was the fact that Cinderpaw was here at all, as whiny and pathetic as she was, and she wasn't supposed to be here in the first place. "Frankly, I'm not quite sure why Sundust decided to bring her and not his accomplice, Roseraven." She turned to look at the marbled ginger tabby. What had he been thinking? This meeting was for medicine cats, not overaged, disgraceful apprentices. But Ivysnake had more important things to think about. She turned to Cowtuft and padded over to him, ignoring Fawnlight for the time being.

"So, you've got your full name now. Given to you by a failure of a deputy, but I'm not one to judge for that. It's good that WindClan has a medicine cat with a full name. It's far past your time for one. I suppose I should say congratulations, but I see no point in wasting words." Despite her blunt, uncaring tone, there was intrigue glittering in the piercing amber depths of Ivysnake's eyes, not annoyance or judgment, as was her nature. "I see you've got paws in the Dark Forest," she continued. "You didn't seem to enjoy it much, but what Flickerlight said was pretty interesting." Her head cocked to the side. "I didn't know the Dark Forest cared so much about WindClan. Maybe this will be more interesting than I thought." Indeed, it would, and Ivysnake didn't mind the others hearing her opinion, although usually, she would've been less vocal about it. The medicine cat apprentice stepped back. "If we don't have anything else to do here, we may as well be heading back. Cowtuft has his full name now, and it would be a waste to stand around here when we've already conversed and spoken with our ancestors." Both the starry-eyed fools and the strong, dark-headed shadow-walkers, she wanted to add, but she had a feeling that wouldn't go over well. Not that anything she said did.

@x ghostie @daenerys @naiad @littlelove @Ravensong @Willowfern (WHEWW, that was a wild ride!)

New and Improved Character Bios!

Last edited by TheNyanCatMinecart; February 3rd, 2023 at 08:21 PM.
Old February 5th, 2023, 01:19 AM
Raven

Bump Policy: 3 days | 2 days Time Sensitive
My Mood: Pensive

**Elmshadow**
@TheNyanCatMinecart @littlelove @naiad @daenerys @x ghostie

Sleep hadn't come when he opened his eyes again but he awakened somewhere new. The darkened cave had opened to a bright expanse of flower-speckled meadow. He blinked against the unexpected brightness, a stark and unnerving change from the darkness of the cave he'd been in just heartbeats before. As his gaze swept over the sprawling meadow, shimmering with the starry trademark of Starclan's hunting grounds, the group of other medicine cats was easy enough to pick out. He took long, measured steps toward the others, the soft grasses brushing the black fur of his legs. It was nearly uncanny, he knew he was dreaming but he could feel everything as if he was walking in his own body. He pushed the thoughts away as another figure seemed to approach the group and he noticed Cowpaw was out in front. Elmshadow slowed as he reached the other medicine cats though his green eyes stayed curiously on Cowpaw's back until the newcomer was close enough that he was able to recognize Dogbark. His scars were erased and his pelt was starry but Elmshadow recognized the former deputy well enough. His head cocked as the former Thunderclan deputy began speaking with the Windclan medicine cat. He noticed the look Dogbark shot in Sundust's direction but it seemed he was indeed here for Cowpaw. The reason became clear quick enough, though it was still a wonder that the failed deputy of Thunderclan would be the chosen ancestor to give the Windclanner his full name. Regardless, it was no matter to Elmshadow. His ear twitched as Dogbark recited the ceremonious words, "to stand apart from rivalry between Clan and Clan and to protect all cats equally". Could Elmshadow honestly say he could uphold that vow? He wasn't sure, and he wasn't sure he cared to try. Shadowclan, for many aspects, traveled outside the Warrior Code, forging the path that gave Shadowclan and the territories the greatest chance of success, regardless what the Code dictated. And for his own part, Elmshadow wouldn't hesitate to give his own life to protect and serve Shadowclan; but forfeiting his life for a cat outside Shadowclan would leave his own clan that much more vulnerable. He couldn't imagine holding to that, he still struggled with letting go of his warriorhood hold on the normal clan rivalries in their most basic. He blinked, coming back to Dogbark's words as Cowpaw received his new name, Cowtuft.

Elmshadow's muscles began to loosen as the brightness seemed to dissipate into mist and a chill swept over the land as though he were being pulled back into the cold, dim cave. Until Cowtuft's sudden demeanor change alerted the Shadowclan medicine cat and he followed the Windclanner's line of sight to a dilute brown and white tom. Elmshadow tensed slightly at the newcomer who seemed to be the source of the Dark Forest encroaching over what had been Starclan territory. Elmshadow sat down and watched blankly as this Flickerlight seemed to imply that he had placed Cowtuft in his position through an agreement. The soft Windclanner made a deal with the Dark Forest? That was interesting, indeed. He'd never heard of a medicine cat making a deal with any of their ancestors but it seemed all the more interesting that it would end up being Cowtuft as the first and with a Dark Forest cat nonetheless. He watched with mild interest until the darkness swallowed him back up and, when his eyes opened again it took a few heartbeats for his eyes to adjust back to the darkness. When the shapes began to materialize around him, he looked first to the stone in front of him and his eyes tracked back around towards the other medicine cats but stopped on the slumped shape of the Thunderclanner that had joined Sundust. He stood up and cocked his head, looking over the gouges in the crystal trailing up from where the she-cat's claws still stuck. From the corner of his eye he saw others gravitating towards Cowtuft, understandably, but Elmshadow moved his gaze mildly to Sundust, awaiting what the medicine cat would do about his companion having just vandalized their sacred stone. Elmshadow couldn't say he cared, he wasn't completely sure the point of the whole ordeal since they were supposed to be able to walk with their ancestors at any given point without the crystal but the other medicine cats seemed to put a good deal of importance and reverence into it and here this Thunderclanner had apparently attacked it while they slept.

Active Purrks
Elmshadow - The Collector
Cougarivy - Beefed Up
Sunsetpaw - Biligual, Flock Together:Tier 2
- - - - -
Character Site
- - - - -
Elmshadow
- - - - -
Shadowclan Healing