Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Archives > Old Topics > OOC > Old News

Notice
Please read our Content Policy Update!

Interested in joining the staff team? Look here!
Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader
Dawnstar
Deputy
: None
Medicine Cat: Lostspark
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Mossfreckle

RiverClan
Leader
: Fadingsun
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Mistyshard

Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

WindClan
Leader
Twilightstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
ThunderClan Clearing
by dino.
Last post by Fits
Today 12:57 PM
THC victims needed!...
by Poprock
Last post by Morrigan
Today 12:49 PM
..••°°forest's chaotic art...
by forest
Last post by forest
Today 12:40 PM
RiverClan Clearing
by BEAR.
Last post by Yoshdo
Today 12:39 PM

Old July 12th, 2023, 04:42 AM
work is never done

Bump Policy: every 4 days
My Mood: Kingly

Exclamation Tutorial Feedback

Hey everyone!

I'm tentatively working on an updated tutorial for new members. The current one appears just after registration, is semi-optional (you can click out using the header), and goes over the site layout, how to add a cat to the allegiances, and some general navigation members might need help with.

WARNING: the images in the spoiler get pretty big. I tried to resize them but things got too blurry, so I decided to leave them as is. If you would rather just go through the tutorial, click here. You'll miss out on the first screenshot but the rest should be the same.

It's fairly solid if new members read it, but it's definitely not perfect and since I wanted to try to change the formatting anyway due to technical issues, I figured this might be a good opportunity to reach out to the community.

Largely, what I'm looking for is your thoughts on the following: Think back to when you first joined!
  • What was the easiest thing for you to figure out?

• What do you think you struggled the most with?

• What do you wish you knew when you first started?

• What do you recommend telling new members who've read the tutorial?

• If you haven't already, take a look at the current tutorial shown above. What parts of it do you like? What parts do you think could be improved?
This list isn't exhaustive either - if you have anything else you'd like to add on, feel free to! If you have something to add to another member's post, please feel free to. I'd like this to be an open discussion so I can try to create something more new-member friendly.

Please do not quote or mention me.

Last edited by BEAR.; July 12th, 2023 at 08:42 AM.
Old July 12th, 2023, 05:00 AM
Hiatuses

Bump Policy: Anytime
My Mood: Festive1

Default Re: Tutorial Feedback

maybe telling the first few post have to be approved? & how to join a group. @Bear
Old July 12th, 2023, 08:10 AM
on hiatus

Bump Policy: 3 days
My Mood: Fine

I think maybe you should introduce and add the link to the Roleplay Guidelines.

The biggest problem I had was not knowing what I could and couldn't do while roleplaying or creating characters, and what was considered rude/out of bounds while roleplaying with others. It'd save new members the trouble if they knew what it was at the start and how to access it~ @Bear

"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post~"
Old July 12th, 2023, 10:57 AM
pastel king

Bump Policy: 24 Hours w/ Due Date, 72 if no Due Date
My Mood: Adorable

I'm not gonna lie, I had no clue what power playing was and I genuinely didn't read the guidelines ( I HAVE SINCE THEN I SWEAR *SOBS*)

Also the new allegiance might just be difficult to me cause it's different then what I used for three years. I agree with Galaxy about letting new members know their first few posts need to be approved, and that you need to join groups to be mentioned, as I had to like ask Dino about that I think.

Honestly if there was a way to code a bot, on the site, that like puts a message on new players VM Board explaining some things, has links to things, tells you how to respond to vms and user mentions that would be cool because I've seen some people struggle with that! OR maybe changing the notepad we start with to have these things!

Honestly you guys have done a really good job at the site, and I know new members will love it as much as I do <3 @BEAR.
Old July 13th, 2023, 04:16 AM
Spiral

Bump Policy: Three days
My Mood: Distracted

I think what I struggled with most was navigation, mainly because I didn't read everything, but now that is fixed with the update

I think maybe an encouraging message about getting used to the site and the rewards of sticking around. Something like that, I don't know. It might encourage them to stick around.

^^^Click one!^^^

"And that, my friends, is how a revolution dies." - Haymitch
Old July 20th, 2023, 12:16 AM
work is never done

Thank you guys for your input! I asked the staff team to create a lil award for y'all so hopefully that'll appear shortly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy_ View Post
maybe telling the first few post have to be approved? & how to join a group. @Bear
The current tutorial does include a mention of moderation/post approval, but I agree it could be expanded upon a bit. Joining a group at this point is absolutely pivotal since Clan mentions have been changed, so I'll be more than happy to include a section on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlow View Post
I think maybe you should introduce and add the link to the Roleplay Guidelines.

The biggest problem I had was not knowing what I could and couldn't do while roleplaying or creating characters, and what was considered rude/out of bounds while roleplaying with others. It'd save new members the trouble if they knew what it was at the start and how to access it~ @Bear
Would it help to have a brief rundown, and then link to the main rules so they have a basic gist before being hit with the full list?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawnhearted View Post
I'm not gonna lie, I had no clue what power playing was and I genuinely didn't read the guidelines ( I HAVE SINCE THEN I SWEAR *SOBS*)

Also the new allegiance might just be difficult to me cause it's different then what I used for three years. I agree with Galaxy about letting new members know their first few posts need to be approved, and that you need to join groups to be mentioned, as I had to like ask Dino about that I think.

Honestly if there was a way to code a bot, on the site, that like puts a message on new players VM Board explaining some things, has links to things, tells you how to respond to vms and user mentions that would be cool because I've seen some people struggle with that! OR maybe changing the notepad we start with to have these things!

Honestly you guys have done a really good job at the site, and I know new members will love it as much as I do <3 @BEAR.
Hmm, I'll have to look into a vm-based thing but I know I can do an automatic PM at least. The downside of PMs is they can't respond to them starting off, but perhaps they can be told to go to Site Assistance or Support if they need additional help.

For the allegiances, what would you say the hardest thing to figure out was?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeif View Post
I think what I struggled with most was navigation, mainly because I didn't read everything, but now that is fixed with the update

I think maybe an encouraging message about getting used to the site and the rewards of sticking around. Something like that, I don't know. It might encourage them to stick around.
Glad the update fixed a lot of it!!! That was the goal

For you, what has been the most rewarding part of sticking around? I'd like to get a feel for community thoughts for when its included in welcome messages!
Old July 22nd, 2023, 11:07 PM
Love gets you hurt

Bump Policy: 24 hours
My Mood: Devilish

@BEAR. becoming pink /j
Old July 22nd, 2023, 11:16 PM
work is never done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian View Post
@BEAR. becoming pink /j
fired
Old July 24th, 2023, 07:47 AM
Spiral

Bump Policy: Three days
My Mood: Distracted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR. View Post
Thank you guys for your input! I asked the staff team to create a lil award for y'all so hopefully that'll appear shortly

The current tutorial does include a mention of moderation/post approval, but I agree it could be expanded upon a bit. Joining a group at this point is absolutely pivotal since Clan mentions have been changed, so I'll be more than happy to include a section on that.

Would it help to have a brief rundown, and then link to the main rules so they have a basic gist before being hit with the full list?

Hmm, I'll have to look into a vm-based thing but I know I can do an automatic PM at least. The downside of PMs is they can't respond to them starting off, but perhaps they can be told to go to Site Assistance or Support if they need additional help.

For the allegiances, what would you say the hardest thing to figure out was?

Glad the update fixed a lot of it!!! That was the goal

For you, what has been the most rewarding part of sticking around? I'd like to get a feel for community thoughts for when its included in welcome messages!
I would say that the best part is the community. This site has a safe, homely feeling to it. Nowhere is 100% safe, but WCO is very close. Everyone is friendly and helpful, the posts and RPs are fun. This site is such a big part of my life now, don't know what I would do without it.

(OK, I am not good feedback ect but I hope this is somewhat usefulXD)

^^^Click one!^^^

"And that, my friends, is how a revolution dies." - Haymitch