by Fawn
Last post by Starfall
Yesterday 10:57 PM

Old May 16th, 2023, 10:27 PM

Bump Policy: Two days time sensitive / five days all other
My Mood: Thinking

Default The Messengers of X Lore

C U L T | H I S T O R Y

The cult was founded by Bear and Wolf in early 2022. The pair of brothers witnessed a cat die and come back to life. Upon discussing this, they come to the conclusion that there must be some sort of otherworldly being that allowed this to happen.

The pair determine that they must bring themselves close to death in order to properly understand what this being is. They both find a cave that they retreat into for a half moon. This cave is fed by a small underground spring; they permit themselves to drink, but not to eat.

While on the brink of starvation, the cats experience vivid dreams of a shadowy figure. Strange things begin happening to them, in their perception. A bolt of lightning strikes a tree near their cave. A blind, three-legged fox wanders into their cave, only to look at them and leave. They wake up one morning to find misshapen, bloody prints on the floor of the cave.

They conclude that these odd occurrences are a result of them coming closer to this ethereal being, who they decide to refer to as X. On the final night of their self-imposed fasting retreat, Bear dreams of an eyeless, two-legged spirit who tells him that he is a messenger of X. If Bear and Wolf dedicate themselves as servants of X, then he will reward them with power beyond this world’s understanding.

The brothers decide that they need to spread knowledge of X to others, to free them from the constraints of their current world. They come to believe that they’ve been chosen to usher in a new era, in which all suffering will be brought to an end by X.

Bear and Wolf establish a group that they simply call the Messengers of X. They begin recruiting cats from far and wide, focusing on troubled and misguided cats.

X continues to appear in Bear and Wolf’s dreams for a couple of seasons, before disappearing. It is right at this time that the Messengers come to find out about the Clans. Bear and Wolf believe that the Clans’ worship of StarClan and the Dark Forest has caused X to distance themselves from the Messengers; because of this, they must be exterminated.

The Messengers’ camp is soon destroyed by Twolegs building a new nest; Bear is captured by Twolegs, and Wolf is killed.

The Messengers come together to determine who will lead them. They agree that a Council of leaders would be best, as Bear and Wolf often preached of the value of multiple cats working towards a common goal.

A vote was held to elect the seven Council members. This Council then set themselves on the task of fulfilling what Bear and Wolf started: destroying the Clans and their destructive beliefs, once and for all.
Fadingsun is currently RiverClan's leader. He has an open den policy. If you have any questions or concerns about RiverClan, or any plots to propose, feel free to leave me a VM or DM! Please do not take my characters' IC opinions as reflective of my own.

Last edited by occultation; May 16th, 2023 at 10:27 PM.
Old May 16th, 2023, 10:32 PM

Default Re: The Messengers of X Lore

C U L T | PRACTICES

The Messengers of X have several practices that they believe bring them closer to X. Every member is expected to participate in these practices. If a member chooses to abstain without a very, very good reason, then they will be seen as a dissenter and executed.

The Eleven Commandments

Bear and Wolf created eleven commandments for their followers to adhere to, believing through their own “heightened perception” that these are the will of X.

1. A Messenger’s life belongs to X. They must serve X before anyone else, including themselves.
2. Kill anyone who openly defies X or his will.
3. The Messengers’ leaders are X’s chosen ones. They guided the Messengers to these individuals, highlighting them as cats of high perception and intellect.
4. Knowledge is a need, not a desire.
5. Do not commit violence or other harmful acts against a fellow Messenger, unless they have transgressed against X.
6. Accept anyone who devotes their life and blood to X, regardless of their past or who they are. X comes before sexuality, gender, breed, or creed.
7. All Messengers must devote one quarter moon a season-cycle to a reflective retreat. They may drink, but may not eat or speak.
8. An enemy of X is an enemy of a Messenger, regardless of personal feelings or circumstance.
9. Defend the Messengers’ territory with your life. This land is sacred to X.
10. Do not waste prey or herbs. Every piece of prey and every herb is a blessing bestowed by X.
11. Do not seek kits out for enlightenment. Kits are too young to understand the Messages of X. Kits born into the Messengers should be cared for and treated respectfully; they will begin their enlightenment at the age of six moons.

Combat & Execution

The Messengers are intelligent, strategic, skilled combatants. They always fight to kill, and will not hesitate to brutalize anyone who opposes X. This is especially true of Clan cats and dissenters.

All Messengers train with one another; in battle, they prefer to tag team their opponents when possible. Vicious tactics are employed, with the throat, belly, neck, and face being favored targets. Crippling and maiming opponents is absolutely on the table.

Traps are often set by Messengers for unsuspecting opponents. They may be set in an enemy’s territory, or in their own for defensive purposes. Poisons are regularly employed against dissenters, prisoners, and the enemy.

The Messengers believe that a cat’s soul resides in their head. When a cat dies, their spirit leaves their head and either joins X in the afterlife or roams in a shadowy, empty world for eternity. Where they end up depends on whether the head is left intact or not. For this reason, the Messengers will aim to destroy the heads of murdered enemies when possible.

In addition, they believe that souls who are suspended in an upside-down body will not be able to leave. As such, dissenters are always suspended upside-down after execution.

The Messengers are always looking for new, unique ways to kill. After all, knowledge is a need. They are currently experimenting with poisons, burning, blunt force trauma, and exposure to the elements.

Messengers believe that looking at a dissenter is risky; doing so causes their souls to become temporarily divided from X. Looking at a dissenter for extended periods of time will result in a permanent division of the soul from X. As such, during executions any cat in attendance will drape moss over their eyes to protect themselves.

Beliefs & Worship

The Messengers refer to a cat coming to know X as “enlightenment”. The recruitment process is referred to as “enlightening” or “the enlightenment.” Kits will begin a similar process when they turn six moons old.

After a cat finishes their enlightenment, they will be sent to the Divided Cave for their fulfillment. They must spend one half moon in there, without any food or social interaction. They are forbidden from speaking of their experiences within the Cave.

Foxes are considered sacred to this group. The Council members each wear a fox pelt over them when they hold meetings. The group’s medicine den is in an old fox den; it is believed this gives the ill and injured a better chance of survival.

The names “Fox” and “Vixen” are forbidden. To speak of a fox in curse (i.e. fox dung) is considered blasphemous, and will be met with corporal punishment.

The Messengers believe that corporal punishment is an effective way to keep their members in line, ensuring that they remain focused on their life’s work and don’t stray from the will of X. Cats who go missing from this group will be required to give up a limb, an eye, or an ear upon return as an apologetic sacrifice to X.

If the group is in need of a blessing, they will make sacrifices to X. Known enemies of X are favored for sacrifices, making Clan cats perfect targets. Sacrifices are performed on the Sacred Stone, a large, flat stone.

It is believed that X desires sacrifices to remain anatomically intact, as much as possible. As such, sacrifices will always be poisoned, suffocated, drowned, or exposed to the elements. Their bodies will be surrounded by lavender and left on the stone for one full day. At this point, they will be buried, each with a dead mouse. They believe that mice are the sacred prey of the fox.

Every Messenger who has completed their fulfillment is expected to partake in a quarter-moon retreat in the Divided Cave, once per season-cycle. Only one Messenger may go on retreat at a time. A retreat is similar to a fulfillment, only shorter. The cat may not eat or speak, and may not tell anyone of their experiences in the Cave.

The only exception to the “no speaking of your experiences during fulfillment or retreat” rule is if a cat wishes to seek interpretation. In this case, they may approach a Council member about their experiences. This conversation will take place in the Misty Grove, where the Council members go to hold meetings.
Fadingsun is currently RiverClan's leader. He has an open den policy. If you have any questions or concerns about RiverClan, or any plots to propose, feel free to leave me a VM or DM! Please do not take my characters' IC opinions as reflective of my own.
Old May 16th, 2023, 10:33 PM

CULT | RANK & FILE

The ranks of the Messengers of X are as follows.

Council Executor: The senior-most member of the group. Senior-most is defined by who has spent the most time as a Messenger, not by age. The Executor will officiate ceremonies, hold group meetings, and generally act as a leader for the group. They are required to obtain the approval of at least four other Council members before making significant changes to the Messengers or starting a large-scale operation (i.e. starting a war with the Clans). One of the seven Council members. (Position currently held by Cherry~)

Council: A group of seven (including the Executor) cats who oversee the Messengers. The Council provides direction, interpretation, and guidance to all of the Messengers. They are considered the most skilled, intelligent, and dangerous of all Messengers. According to belief, they are hand-picked by X.

Guardians: The strongest, most skilled combatants in the group. These cats have dedicated their lives to perfecting the art of defending X, and have the ability to show for it. To become a Guardian, a cat must defeat two Council members in separate, back-to-back spars. Alternatively, the Executor may opt to promote cats to this rank after exceptional performance in battle.

Healers: Experts in both healing and killing, these cats have extensive knowledge of remedies and poisons. They will eagerly experiment on prisoners to further their knowledge. All healers work in tandem to effectively treat and care for their peers. The Council will select cats to promote to the rank of healer if they demonstrate considerable interest and ability in herbs and poisons.

General Messengers: These cats make up the general members of the Clan, who lack specific roles. They will tackle whatever task is needed, whether it be hunting, fighting, experimenting, or whatever else.

Caregivers: These cats care for the young of the group. Parents may temporarily move to this rank when they have kits, if they wish. If not, there are permanent caregivers who can raise and care for the young. The Caregivers are not permitted to leave camp barring emergencies, as their priority must be the youth of the Clan. In certain circumstances, the Healers may call upon the Caregivers to help them with the sick and injured.

Pathwalkers: These cats are currently going through their enlightenment. Their day-to-day life consists of learning about X and his message, as well as participating in fighting, hunting, and trapping lessons. There are no set mentors in this group; all Pathwalkers receive training at once, in small groups. A Pathwalker must walk the path of enlightenment for three months before they are eligible for their fulfillment.

Kits: The lowest-ranking members of the group. Even though they hold no power or authority and are not permitted to go more than four fox-lengths from the nursery, kits must be treated with the utmost respect and care.

Last edited by occultation; May 20th, 2023 at 09:35 PM.
Old May 20th, 2023, 09:41 PM

C U L T | A L L E G I A N C E S

COUNCIL EXECUTOR

McIntosh "Big Mac" - gargantuan ginger-and-white tom with sharp green eyes. He/him/his pronouns. Roleplayed by @/Cherry~.

COUNCIL

TBD

GUARDIANS

Caesar - humongous white tom; sharp yellow eyes with a green fleck. He/him/his pronouns. Roleplayed by @/Estelle.

HEALERS

Toska - russet-furred Somali with white paws, a white belly, and green eyes. She/her/her's pronouns. Roleplayed by @/Cherry~.

Spirit - tall & scrawny black, grey, and white chimera with amber eyes. AFAB transmasc, he/they pronouns. Roleplayed by @/x ghostie.

GENERAL MESSENGERS

Phantom - tall, lithe calico with green eyes. She/her/her's pronouns. Roleplayed by @/Rose.

CAREGIVERS

TBD

PATHWALKERS

TBD

KITS

TBD

Last edited by occultation; May 23rd, 2023 at 04:58 PM.