Last post by Dolomedes
Today 10:47 PM

Old June 26th, 2018, 10:36 PM
Sigh...

My Mood: Hopeful

Default Re: SkyClan Medicine Cat's Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Morningdust continued through the pile of tansy diligently. As he went along, the stems progressively became cleaner cut, but he still couldn't seem to get it to resemble the one Shinefang had cut earlier. Only around one-third of the flowers still held enough vigor to keep themselves from crushing under his paw, but he didn't take much notice of this since he was mainly focused on cutting the stems right. While he worked, he glanced over to Shinefang for a moment to see him take one of the berries and put it into his mouth. He became curious if whether the berries where just for taste, or they held some healing abilities like the many other herbs in the den. His mouth opened slightly as he hesitated to ask, but it eventually closed due to him deciding against it. Shinefang seemed to be busy with organizing other herbs, so his questions would only get in the way for both himself and the medicine cat.
The pile of cut stems slowly began to increase while he worked through the old tansies, and it wasn't too long before the pile of tansies was almost completely replaced by a pile of stems and a smaller pile of flowers. The majority of the stems in the pile were rough and a bit jagged looking, but towards the top of the pile, the stems seemed to become smoother and cleaner cut. He still had a few more to go, but it seemed that he had gotten the hang of cutting them, more or less.
Shinefang left the rest of the ragwort and juniper berries where they sat on the den floor. Whether or not the herbs still worked in spite of their age should become apparent to him in time and there was no use throwing out the herbs before that. He turned and fixed his gaze on Morningdust, curious how the warrior was doing with his task. He trounced over and looked at the piles the tome was forming. One was filled with flowers with much more remaining of their sunshine-yellow, dreary as it had become now. He sniffed. "These ones are still good, right?" he asked, but began scooping them closer to himself and the herb stores before the tome could answer. That was when he noticed that the stems had been removed. For a split second, Shinefang opened his mouth to snap at the warrior for not following his instructions, but he closed it again and considered the warriors work. "Huh...You know I really only asked you to sort the good flowers from the expired. But come to think of it, the stems aren't really good for anything. And this will free up more storage space." The old medicine cat looked at the warrior with a dubious expression, noticing for the first time how intelligent the cat before him was. Though he contained it well, a spark of intrigue alighted within him. "Hmm. Good work, I suppose," he said begrudgingly.

Old June 27th, 2018, 12:21 PM
♫Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat♫

My Mood: Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmer View Post
Shinefang left the rest of the ragwort and juniper berries where they sat on the den floor. Whether or not the herbs still worked in spite of their age should become apparent to him in time and there was no use throwing out the herbs before that. He turned and fixed his gaze on Morningdust, curious how the warrior was doing with his task. He trounced over and looked at the piles the tome was forming. One was filled with flowers with much more remaining of their sunshine-yellow, dreary as it had become now. He sniffed. "These ones are still good, right?" he asked, but began scooping them closer to himself and the herb stores before the tome could answer. That was when he noticed that the stems had been removed. For a split second, Shinefang opened his mouth to snap at the warrior for not following his instructions, but he closed it again and considered the warriors work. "Huh...You know I really only asked you to sort the good flowers from the expired. But come to think of it, the stems aren't really good for anything. And this will free up more storage space." The old medicine cat looked at the warrior with a dubious expression, noticing for the first time how intelligent the cat before him was. Though he contained it well, a spark of intrigue alighted within him. "Hmm. Good work, I suppose," he said begrudgingly.
As Morningdust began the last flower, he glanced up to see Shinefang looking back at him as he worked. His claw easily tore through the stem, allowing the flower to break off and glide to the ground. He tossed the stem with the others, and looked back over to the flower. At first glance, the flower seemed to be in a rather decrepit shape, but the fact that it was still usable became clear after he placed his paw on it, only to have it bounce back into its original shape. He gently scooped it into his paw and placed it into the pile, when he noticed Shinefang was walking over to where he worked. His long tail swept around the pile of flowers as he prepared to help carry them, but after taking a look, he noticed the pile was small enough for Shinefang to carry alone, so he turned to the twigs to gather them.
Morningdust could feel the air become tense as what he assumed must've been Shinefang noticing he had decided to take off the stems. His ears drooped near his skull as he prepared to be scolded, but as the older cat continued talking, he even seemed to sound slightly pleased. The young warrior dipped his head to what seemed to be praised, and he leaned down to pick up the stems. "If I set these in the sun to dry first, do you think they'd be fine to use as bedding?" He couldn't see any problem that using them as bedding may pose, but he mainly wanted to make sure there wasn't any property of them that may irritate a cat's skin. His head turned to Shinefang as he awaited an answer on what to do with them.

Last edited by Panda; June 27th, 2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old June 27th, 2018, 10:31 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
As Morningdust began the last flower, he glanced up to see Shinefang looking back at him as he worked. His claw easily tore through the stem, allowing the flower to break off and glide to the ground. He tossed the stem with the others, and looked back over to the flower. At first glance, the flower seemed to be in a rather decrepit shape, but the fact that it was still usable became clear after he placed his paw on it, only to have it bounce back into its original shape. He gently scooped it into his paw and placed it into the pile, when he noticed Shinefang was walking over to where he worked. His long tail swept around the pile of flowers as he prepared to help carry them, but after taking a look, he noticed the pile was small enough for Shinefang to carry alone, so he turned to the twigs to gather them.
Morningdust could feel the air become tense as what he assumed must've been Shinefang noticing he had decided to take off the stems. His ears drooped near his skull as he prepared to be scolded, but as the older cat continued talking, he even seemed to sound slightly pleased. The young warrior dipped his head to what seemed to be praised, and he leaned down to pick up the stems. "If I set these in the sun to dry first, do you think they'd be fine to use as bedding?" He couldn't see any problem that using them as bedding may pose, but he mainly wanted to make sure there wasn't any property of them that may irritate a cat's skin. His head turned to Shinefang as he awaited an answer on what to do with them.
Shinefang's gaze turned to concealed surprise yet again at the younger cat's suggestion and his bushy tail swished behind him as he thought the suggestion over. "Herm... my only concern is that tansy is very dangerous to pregnant queens and kits when its ingested. I'd say the solution would be to keep it in nests that kits wouldn't visit, but you try to keep kits out of anything for long." The old tom leaned in conspiratorially as he made this last remark. He shook his head, "No, better to be safe and throw it out I think. Although..." Shinefang pulled out a long, dried green sprig of something aromatic enough to send a light and soothing floral scent through the den. Along the entire sprig, the plant was dotted with small flower buds of dark purple. "I have been thinking of something to do with this old lavender. It's good for breaking a fever in a pinch but I have fresher herbs that can do the same thing, and this one is a little too old to cover the smell of death very well. Maybe I'll take it to the nursery and add it to the bedding there. It's safe for kits and soothing to the queens." He set the herb aside, closer to the den entrance. "I just hate to waste it. It's not all that common to come across." The old tom looked at Morningdust with a scrutinizing gaze, and slowly, he approached the warrior and stood at his full height as he looked him squarely in the eye with his. "You've got a good brain in that head of yours, eh?" he said in a tone that might have come across as challenging to some, and gruff at least to most. "Hmm, I appreciate a cat with some sense. Starclan knows there aren't many."

Old June 28th, 2018, 01:00 PM
♫Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat♫

Quote:
Shinefang's gaze turned to concealed surprise yet again at the younger cat's suggestion and his bushy tail swished behind him as he thought the suggestion over. "Herm... my only concern is that tansy is very dangerous to pregnant queens and kits when its ingested. I'd say the solution would be to keep it in nests that kits wouldn't visit, but you try to keep kits out of anything for long." The old tom leaned in conspiratorially as he made this last remark. He shook his head, "No, better to be safe and throw it out I think. Although..." Shinefang pulled out a long, dried green sprig of something aromatic enough to send a light and soothing floral scent through the den. Along the entire sprig, the plant was dotted with small flower buds of dark purple. "I have been thinking of something to do with this old lavender. It's good for breaking a fever in a pinch but I have fresher herbs that can do the same thing, and this one is a little too old to cover the smell of death very well. Maybe I'll take it to the nursery and add it to the bedding there. It's safe for kits and soothing to the queens." He set the herb aside, closer to the den entrance. "I just hate to waste it. It's not all that common to come across." The old tom looked at Morningdust with a scrutinizing gaze, and slowly, he approached the warrior and stood at his full height as he looked him squarely in the eye with his. "You've got a good brain in that head of yours, eh?" he said in a tone that might have come across as challenging to some, and gruff at least to most. "Hmm, I appreciate a cat with some sense. Starclan knows there aren't many."
Morningdust swiped his tail along the ground out of annoyance that the stems would have to be wasted. He didn't enjoy waisting supplies of any sort much, even the more useless ones, but if it presented a danger to the kits of the clan, the stems would definitely not be usable as Shinefang had said. "Hmm, that's annoying, but I suppose nothing can be done about it." His voice trailed off near the end, and his eyes were turned to the ground; all signaling that he was speaking his thoughts out loud. His green orbs shot back up as a pleasant, calming scent drifted across his nose, almost instantaneously relaxing him. "I see why that'd be soothing to the queens. It's got quite a sweet smell to it." If the herb was more common, Morningdust wouldn't mind going out to find it if only to place it in the warrior's den as well. Starclan knows he may have been able to go to sleep and avoid the whole ordeal he came into if he had something that soothing to sleep to.
To the old tom's next inquiry, Morningdust gave a curious head tilt. "Well, I suppose I've got a head on me." He paused a moment in order to think through his next words. He gave a very slight smile as he continued, somewhat amused by Shinefang's last statement. "I don't think I have much sense, if any, though." Morningdust had a few reasons for stating this, and most were quite transparent. Afterall, he had allowed his injury to worsen just because of his pride.

Last edited by Panda; June 28th, 2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old June 28th, 2018, 07:59 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
Morningdust swiped his tail along the ground out of annoyance that the stems would have to be wasted. He didn't enjoy waisting supplies of any sort much, even the more useless ones, but if it presented a danger to the kits of the clan, the stems would definitely not be usable as Shinefang had said. "Hmm, that's annoying, but I suppose nothing can be done about it." His voice trailed off near the end, and his eyes were turned to the ground; all signaling that he was speaking his thoughts out loud. His green orbs shot back up as a pleasant, calming scent drifted across his nose, almost instantaneously relaxing him. "I see why that'd be soothing to the queens. It's got quite a sweet smell to it." If the herb was more common, Morningdust wouldn't mind going out to find it if only to place it in the warrior's den as well. Starclan knows he may have been able to go to sleep and avoid the whole ordeal he came into if he had something that soothing to sleep to.
To the old tom's next inquiry, Morningdust gave a curious head tilt. "Well, I suppose I've got a head on me." He paused a moment in order to think through his next words. He gave a very slight smile as he continued, somewhat amused by Shinefang's last statement. "I don't think I have much sense, if any, though." Morningdust had a few reasons for stating this, and most were quite transparent. Afterall, he had allowed his injury to worsen just because of his pride.
Shinefang broke his steady gaze to glance at Morningdust's paw, wondering if that was all he was referring too when he deflected the compliment. There was something... different about this young warrior. Something below the surface that the old tom couldn't place. With a curious twitch of his whiskers, he turned away. "Well, if you want to help out more while you're stuck here, I could use another cat with a brain around," he said. Shinefang then stooped and gathered up the tansy stems in his jaws to take to the dirt pile.

(Wanna flash forward to the next day?)

Old June 28th, 2018, 09:54 PM
♫Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat♫

Quote:
Shinefang broke his steady gaze to glance at Morningdust's paw, wondering if that was all he was referring too when he deflected the compliment. There was something... different about this young warrior. Something below the surface that the old tom couldn't place. With a curious twitch of his whiskers, he turned away. "Well, if you want to help out more while you're stuck here, I could use another cat with a brain around," he said. Shinefang then stooped and gathered up the tansy stems in his jaws to take to the dirt pile.

(Wanna flash forward to the next day?)

(That sounds good to me.)
As the sun began to rise into the dawn sky, Morningdust slowly rose and crept out of the warrior's den, careful not to wake any sleeping warriors. He tip-toed through the foggy camp clearing in order to make his way to the medicine cat den. He was unsure as to whether or not the old tom inside was awake or not and the fresh kill pile was temptingly full, so on his way over, he picked up a plump mouse. Once he had navigated through the fog to the den, he curled up and began to eat the mouse while he awaited any sign the cat inside might have awoken. It didn't take long before he had completely devoured the mouse only leaving a few bits of fur in front of him. The humidity of camp was rather extreme thanks to all the thick sheet of fog that had descended on the camp overnight. Because of this, Morningdust's fur had frizzed up making him seem like one large fluff ball, so he decided to spend the rest of his remaining time grooming his fur flat again.

Last edited by Panda; June 28th, 2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old June 28th, 2018, 10:30 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
(That sounds good to me.)
As the sun began to rise into the dawn sky, Morningdust slowly rose and crept out of the warrior's den, careful not to wake any sleeping warriors. He tip-toed through the foggy camp clearing in order to make his way to the medicine cat den. He was unsure as to whether or not the old tom inside was awake or not and the fresh kill pile was temptingly full, so on his way over, he picked up a plump mouse. Once he had navigated through the fog to the den, he curled up and began to eat the mouse while he awaited any sign the cat inside might have awoken. It didn't take long before he had completely devoured the mouse only leaving a few bits of fur in front of him. The humidity of camp was rather extreme thanks to all the thick sheet of fog that had descended on the camp overnight. Because of this, Morningdust's fur had frizzed up making him seem like one large fluff ball, so he decided to spend the rest of his remaining time grooming his fur flat again.
Shinefang knew before he even opened his eyes that it was another damp and foggy morning. His joints were certainly complaining loudly enough. He kept his eye shut anyway in the hopes that he could spend just a few moment more in the pain free grip of sleep, but the sound of Morningdust's padding paw steps roused him. What was the tom doing? He was supposed to be staying in his nest. The scent of a mouse told him at once. Grumbling sleepily, the old medicine cat lifted himself up with his front paws and glared at the warrior through a sleep-blurred eye. "I must be getting senile. I don't seem to remember telling you that you could walk on your injured paw yet?" The old tom's fur stuck out from his body in sleep-born mats. He tried to hoist his back half up out of his nest, failed, and tried again, wincing as he stood. On still legs that hardly bent, he shambled to his herb shelf and swatted a slab of willow bark onto the den floor, lowering his body to crunch on the bark slap with an expression of distaste.

Old June 29th, 2018, 12:42 PM
♫Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat♫

Quote:
Shinefang knew before he even opened his eyes that it was another damp and foggy morning. His joints were certainly complaining loudly enough. He kept his eye shut anyway in the hopes that he could spend just a few moment more in the pain free grip of sleep, but the sound of Morningdust's padding paw steps roused him. What was the tom doing? He was supposed to be staying in his nest. The scent of a mouse told him at once. Grumbling sleepily, the old medicine cat lifted himself up with his front paws and glared at the warrior through a sleep-blurred eye. "I must be getting senile. I don't seem to remember telling you that you could walk on your injured paw yet?" The old tom's fur stuck out from his body in sleep-born mats. He tried to hoist his back half up out of his nest, failed, and tried again, wincing as he stood. On still legs that hardly bent, he shambled to his herb shelf and swatted a slab of willow bark onto the den floor, lowering his body to crunch on the bark slap with an expression of distaste.

Morningdust finished his grooming as he heard rattling in the medicine den, and turned his head so that his good eye could peer into it. Within seconds of looking in, he could hear the grumpy sounding medicine cat scolding him from inside. He jumped up and padded into the den to meet with Shinefang. "I would've been as loud as a badger stomping through snow if I would've limped, and I didn't want to wake half the clan on my way to get food. Besides, it doesn't feel nearly as bad as it did yesterday, and I think the swelling has even gone down a bit." As he spoke, he held out his injured paw to inspect it in detail, and though it was slight, the swelling definitely had gone down compared to the day before. "Anyway, I was wondering if I could help you with anything again today since I'm still restricted to camp." Though his voice remained mostly monotone, his frizzled, poofy tail swayed hopefully in the air as he awaited Shinefang's reply. "I really don't mind doing even the most trivial tasks. I just hate to be sitting around all day." He added in the last comment in hopes it may further persuade the old tom to give him another task.

Last edited by Panda; June 29th, 2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old June 29th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
Morningdust finished his grooming as he heard rattling in the medicine den, and turned his head so that his good eye could peer into it. Within seconds of looking in, he could hear the grumpy sounding medicine cat scolding him from inside. He jumped up and padded into the den to meet with Shinefang. "I would've been as loud as a badger stomping through snow if I would've limped, and I didn't want to wake half the clan on my way to get food. Besides, it doesn't feel nearly as bad as it did yesterday, and I think the swelling has even gone down a bit." As he spoke, he held out his injured paw to inspect it in detail, and though it was slight, the swelling definitely had gone down compared to the day before. "Anyway, I was wondering if I could help you with anything again today since I'm still restricted to camp." Though his voice remained mostly monotone, his frizzled, poofy tail swayed hopefully in the air as he awaited Shinefang's reply. "I really don't mind doing even the most trivial tasks. I just hate to be sitting around all day." He added in the last comment in hopes it may further persuade the old tom to give him another task.
After choking down the gritty bark pieces, Shinefang turned to look at the warrior, regarding him with a sense of thinly veiled suspicion. He spoke to Morningdust as he reached for the elder leaves, intent on reapplying the poltice. “You know, most warriors aren’t interested in doing much of anything with herbs,” he said simply. Then he shrugged his boney shoulders and added, “But if you really want, I can keep you busy. No problem.” He brought the elder leaves over to Morningdust’s nest and sat them down to inspect his paw. “Huh...” he said, surprised. “That actually does look better. You’re a quick healer,” he conceded. “Still, another day I think. Did it hurt to walk on? Don’t lie.”

Old June 29th, 2018, 08:39 PM
♫Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat♫

Quote:
After choking down the gritty bark pieces, Shinefang turned to look at the warrior, regarding him with a sense of thinly veiled suspicion. He spoke to Morningdust as he reached for the elder leaves, intent on reapplying the poltice. “You know, most warriors aren’t interested in doing much of anything with herbs,” he said simply. Then he shrugged his boney shoulders and added, “But if you really want, I can keep you busy. No problem.” He brought the elder leaves over to Morningdust’s nest and sat them down to inspect his paw. “Huh...” he said, surprised. “That actually does look better. You’re a quick healer,” he conceded. “Still, another day I think. Did it hurt to walk on? Don’t lie.”
The tom gave the bark a distasteful look, almost gagging himself as he watched Shinefang force feed himself them, but this was forgotten when the older tom had spoken. "I don't think preparing herbs and such is to bad. As long as it helps Skyclan, I really don't mind doing anything." Though his expressions and voice may not have made it evident, he was rather delighted to be given a task to do when he could do nothing else. It was hard for even himself to explain his distaste for 'lazy days'. They were really just something he didn't care for.
As Shinefang began to inspect his paw the same as yesterday, the tom held it in the air, not really sure of what else to do. "I've always been a quick healer. I suppose it's how I've avoided the medicine cat den until now." Though the tom had many scars, large and small, he'd never bothered to have them checked at the medicine den. He just always assumed they'd eventually heal over fine with no complications. Now the Shinefang had mentioned it, he still did feel aching in his paw, which he had mostly ignored up until now. "I guess it hurts." He begrudgingly admitted, disliking admitting that his paw was still in pain. "So, what can I do then?" He quickly changed the topic in hopes that the medicine cat wouldn't question about his paw anymore.

Last edited by Panda; June 29th, 2018 at 08:43 PM.