Last post by Dolomedes
Today 03:09 PM

Old November 22nd, 2017, 03:49 PM
My profile has a message!

My Mood: Pensive

Default Re: SkyClan Medicine Cat's Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmer View Post
Shinefang stood up with a grunt, "A bad mouse, Cleankit? What makes you think it was bad? Did it smell funny to you?" The older tom asked the kit, sniffing the air around her in search of the sharp tang of infection. If a bad mouse was all that was going on, Shinefang was in luck. For the life of him, he could not remember which herb was for bellyaches. The tom had never had formal medicine cat training. He just happened to get injured enough during his lifetime that he knew how to bandage a wound and prevent it from getting infected. Scratches, bites, those were a breeze! But bellyache wasn't something that had bothered him enough as a kit for him to remember what herb would help. A bad mouse, though, he may know how to ease the kits digestion, but a paw-full of yarrow flowers would bring that mouse right back up. Can't hurt her stomach if it's not inside her stomach.
Purekit tipped her head to the side as Shinefang called her Cleankit again. Maybe she should correct him? Well, actually that mya come off as rude. Flicking her tail, the small kit plainly ignored his misspeak. "I don't know..." she meowed in answer, giving a shrug. Twitching an ear, the female tensed as naother spasm grasped her stomach. "It made my belly hurt." Then the female frowned. "But it didn't make Swanheart's stomach hurt." Looking up at him with her clear blue eyes, Purekit realized that he may not know who Swanheart was or how she was related to her. "Swanheart's my mother." She informed him, offering a small smile.

Last edited by Undercover; November 22nd, 2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 05:07 PM
Sigh...

My Mood: Hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
Purekit tipped her head to the side as Shinefang called her Cleankit again. Maybe she should correct him? Well, actually that mya come off as rude. Flicking her tail, the small kit plainly ignored his misspeak. "I don't know..." she meowed in answer, giving a shrug. Twitching an ear, the female tensed as naother spasm grasped her stomach. "It made my belly hurt." Then the female frowned. "But it didn't make Swanheart's stomach hurt." Looking up at him with her clear blue eyes, Purekit realized that he may not know who Swanheart was or how she was related to her. "Swanheart's my mother." She informed him, offering a small smile.
Shinefang watched as another spasm of pain gripped the little cat, keeping still as he listened and thought about what she was saying. It certainly wasn’t unheard of for a younger cat to be more sensitive to prey that had set on the pile too long than an older cat, but if her mother gave her the mouse she would have smelled the tang of prey turning to crowfood, right? Then again queens could get tired from all their kits’ shenanigans and miss the smell too, especially if it was just spoiled enough to affect a kit but not a queen. “It could be that Swanheart’s stomach was just a little stronger than yours. She’s a fully grown cat after all.” Shinefang moved to his herb stores and pulled out a pawful if dried yarrow flowers. “This will get it out of your belly. But it will make you feel sick for just a minute. Shinefang set the flowers in a pile and set a small layer of moss pulled from his nest beside it. “Go ahead and eat the flowers. Just do me a favor and aim for the moss.”

@Role (continuing with Oakpaw.)

Shinefang was up the next morning, eager to get a good look at the younger shecat's paw. He strode over to the she-cat's nest and poked her sharply in the middle of her forehead with his paw. "Wake up. I need to have a look at your paw and you need to tell me how it's feeling today." He sat back and looked at the shecat's paw, pleased that she'd managed to not roll over on it in the night as she slept. He'd have to clear away to layer of herbs to have a better look, but he wanted her to be alert first so that he could tell if he nicked anything he shouldn't be.

Last edited by Charmer; November 24th, 2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old November 24th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Man! The man is NONSTOP!

My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
@Role (continuing with Oakpaw.)

Shinefang was up the next morning, eager to get a good look at the younger shecat's paw. He strode over to the she-cat's nest and poked her sharply in the middle of her forehead with his paw. "Wake up. I need to have a look at your paw and you need to tell me how it's feeling today." He sat back and looked at the shecat's paw, pleased that she'd managed to not roll over on it in the night as she slept. He'd have to clear away to layer of herbs to have a better look, but he wanted her to be alert first so that he could tell if he nicked anything he shouldn't be.
In her dream, Oakpaw was running through a forest, chasing rabbits. In a long leap, using her SkyClan strong legs, Oakpaw extended her claws and aimed for the plump rabbits ahead of her. Just when she could just taste the rabbit, a sharp bump hit her head. Startled awake, Oakpaw nearly jumped from her nest. Her gaze traveled up to Shinefang, listening to the medicine cat's words. Frowning, Oakpaw looked down at her paw. It was lying awkwardly and the claws were still unsheathed. Focusing on how it felt, Oakpaw was astonished to realize that the tingling sensation was dulled slightly. "It feels better," she mewed hopefully, eyes shining. Could she still be able to become a warrior?
Old November 24th, 2017, 06:06 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Role View Post
In her dream, Oakpaw was running through a forest, chasing rabbits. In a long leap, using her SkyClan strong legs, Oakpaw extended her claws and aimed for the plump rabbits ahead of her. Just when she could just taste the rabbit, a sharp bump hit her head. Startled awake, Oakpaw nearly jumped from her nest. Her gaze traveled up to Shinefang, listening to the medicine cat's words. Frowning, Oakpaw looked down at her paw. It was lying awkwardly and the claws were still unsheathed. Focusing on how it felt, Oakpaw was astonished to realize that the tingling sensation was dulled slightly. "It feels better," she mewed hopefully, eyes shining. Could she still be able to become a warrior?
Shinefang dusted of the layer of now dried herbs caked to the apprentices paw. They feel to the den floor in flakes, and now the old tom was able to have a better look and see that the claws on the wounded paw were still unsheathed, and the paw itself, though the swelling was better, still appeared twisted and at an odd angel. "Well feeling better is generally a good sign," he said simply, not prepared yet to lose all hope, but there were so many small bones in the paw... " Can you try and sheath your claws for me?" he asked.

Old November 24th, 2017, 06:55 PM
Man! The man is NONSTOP!

Quote:
Shinefang dusted of the layer of now dried herbs caked to the apprentices paw. They feel to the den floor in flakes, and now the old tom was able to have a better look and see that the claws on the wounded paw were still unsheathed, and the paw itself, though the swelling was better, still appeared twisted and at an odd angel. "Well feeling better is generally a good sign," he said simply, not prepared yet to lose all hope, but there were so many small bones in the paw... " Can you try and sheath your claws for me?" he asked.
Oakpaw was startled to see such a protective layer of herbs flake off in moments. Herbs were really weird! Oakpaw stared at her paw. The cuts were still visible, but they were healing. Oakpaw frowned. She knew she would have some nasty scars. At Shinefang's request, Oakpaw tried to move her foot just a little. Only a tingling feeling came back in return. There was no movement in her toes, and her claws did not sheath. Blinking, Oakpaw tried again. The same reaction occurred. "It didn't work," she half wailed. "Why isn't it working? Why can't I sheath my claws?" Eyes shimmering with fear, Oakpaw tried and tried again. Oakpaw lashed her tail, beginning to grow frustrated with herself. Great StarClan! If I can't even sheath my claws, how can I be a warrior?
Old November 24th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
Oakpaw was startled to see such a protective layer of herbs flake off in moments. Herbs were really weird! Oakpaw stared at her paw. The cuts were still visible, but they were healing. Oakpaw frowned. She knew she would have some nasty scars. At Shinefang's request, Oakpaw tried to move her foot just a little. Only a tingling feeling came back in return. There was no movement in her toes, and her claws did not sheath. Blinking, Oakpaw tried again. The same reaction occurred. "It didn't work," she half wailed. "Why isn't it working? Why can't I sheath my claws?" Eyes shimmering with fear, Oakpaw tried and tried again. Oakpaw lashed her tail, beginning to grow frustrated with herself. Great StarClan! If I can't even sheath my claws, how can I be a warrior?
Shinefang watched as the younger cat struggled to sheath her claws. He kept his gaze steady on the shecat, but his heart began to sank as what he had feared began to look more likely. He saw her starting to get frantic as well. "Shhhhhhh, calm down. Breathe," he said in a low tone, trying to sooth her nerves. "Is it painful at all? What do you feel in your paw and leg?" Shinefang earnestly hoped she would tell him it was painful. Pain meant that the limb was still alive, just hurt. Numbness or tingling could mean that the paw was beyond hurt.

Old November 24th, 2017, 09:33 PM
Man! The man is NONSTOP!

Quote:
Shinefang watched as the younger cat struggled to sheath her claws. He kept his gaze steady on the shecat, but his heart began to sank as what he had feared began to look more likely. He saw her starting to get frantic as well. "Shhhhhhh, calm down. Breathe," he said in a low tone, trying to sooth her nerves. "Is it painful at all? What do you feel in your paw and leg?" Shinefang earnestly hoped she would tell him it was painful. Pain meant that the limb was still alive, just hurt. Numbness or tingling could mean that the paw was beyond hurt.
Oakpaw let out a quiet whimper of fear and anger. With dismay, Oakpaw stared up at Shinefang. His expression was calm, but his eyes betrayed the fact that everything was alright. He too was worried. As he asked what it felt like, Oakpaw once more concentrated on her limb. "M-my toes feel kind of tingley," she started. "And my paw and leg.. I don't feel anything. Does that mean it's good? Is it getting better?" The brown molly stared down at her twisted paw. Oakpaw bent her head and lapped at her toes. It tingled a bit more at the pressure, but she couldn't feel her tongue rasping the small appendeges. Voice tremulous and eyes round, Oakpaw wailed her new discovery. "I can't feel it! Why can't I feel it?"
Old November 24th, 2017, 10:06 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
Oakpaw let out a quiet whimper of fear and anger. With dismay, Oakpaw stared up at Shinefang. His expression was calm, but his eyes betrayed the fact that everything was alright. He too was worried. As he asked what it felt like, Oakpaw once more concentrated on her limb. "M-my toes feel kind of tingley," she started. "And my paw and leg.. I don't feel anything. Does that mean it's good? Is it getting better?" The brown molly stared down at her twisted paw. Oakpaw bent her head and lapped at her toes. It tingled a bit more at the pressure, but she couldn't feel her tongue rasping the small appendeges. Voice tremulous and eyes round, Oakpaw wailed her new discovery. "I can't feel it! Why can't I feel it?"
Shinefang didn't answer at first. He had known of cats who had tangled with twoleg monsters and would up dead or with parts of their body dead and useless. Now here was was faced with the task of sharing with this little shecat that that was what she had to look forward to, a life of dragging around a dead limb. But then, who was he to say that? He hadn't been trained as a medicine cat. He was just a warrior who had gotten hurt enough to figure out how to heal wounds. Maybe she'd be fine and he'd just be scaring her for no good reason. "I...don't know for sure." It was one thing to think it, but saying it out loud made Shinefang feel so hopeless. Before he knew what he was saying, he was already blurting out more. "Let me try just a couple more things." Shinfang moved to his herb stores and pulled out a couple of mint leaves. He chewed them up quickly and spat them into his paw before going to rub them over Oakpaw's shoulder, even getting the pulp under her fur. This can help with swelling. Maybe that will do it. Even now, Shinefang didn't notice any obvious swelling on the apprentice's shoulder, but he'd give it a try just the same.

Old November 25th, 2017, 12:17 PM
Man! The man is NONSTOP!

Quote:
Shinefang didn't answer at first. He had known of cats who had tangled with twoleg monsters and would up dead or with parts of their body dead and useless. Now here was was faced with the task of sharing with this little shecat that that was what she had to look forward to, a life of dragging around a dead limb. But then, who was he to say that? He hadn't been trained as a medicine cat. He was just a warrior who had gotten hurt enough to figure out how to heal wounds. Maybe she'd be fine and he'd just be scaring her for no good reason. "I...don't know for sure." It was one thing to think it, but saying it out loud made Shinefang feel so hopeless. Before he knew what he was saying, he was already blurting out more. "Let me try just a couple more things." Shinfang moved to his herb stores and pulled out a couple of mint leaves. He chewed them up quickly and spat them into his paw before going to rub them over Oakpaw's shoulder, even getting the pulp under her fur. This can help with swelling. Maybe that will do it. Even now, Shinefang didn't notice any obvious swelling on the apprentice's shoulder, but he'd give it a try just the same.
Oakpaw felt desolate. Even her medicine cat didn't know what was wrong with her. A wave of mixed emotions washed over her. Anger. Sadness. Hopelessness. Oakpaw averted her amber gaze to the outside world. Her Clanmates were chatting, arguing, playing. Normal things. But one kind of Clanmate caught her eye. Warriors. The question that she had been asking herself came back to her mind yet again. Will I ever be a warrior? In just a few days the apprentice would reach twelve moons. If not for this wound, she would be assessed in two days. Shaking her head, Oakpaw squeezed her eyes shut and looked away. Then, she felt a sticky, warm pulp lathered onto her shoulder. Hope flickered in her mind, like a spark in a starting fire. Delicate, but can grow strong. "I felt that," she breathed. "I felt you put that onto my shoulder." Oakpaw looked at her shoulder, breathing in the welcoming scent of mint. "Maybe I didn't feel it because nothing was touching it," she offered.
Old November 25th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
Oakpaw felt desolate. Even her medicine cat didn't know what was wrong with her. A wave of mixed emotions washed over her. Anger. Sadness. Hopelessness. Oakpaw averted her amber gaze to the outside world. Her Clanmates were chatting, arguing, playing. Normal things. But one kind of Clanmate caught her eye. Warriors. The question that she had been asking herself came back to her mind yet again. Will I ever be a warrior? In just a few days the apprentice would reach twelve moons. If not for this wound, she would be assessed in two days. Shaking her head, Oakpaw squeezed her eyes shut and looked away. Then, she felt a sticky, warm pulp lathered onto her shoulder. Hope flickered in her mind, like a spark in a starting fire. Delicate, but can grow strong. "I felt that," she breathed. "I felt you put that onto my shoulder." Oakpaw looked at her shoulder, breathing in the welcoming scent of mint. "Maybe I didn't feel it because nothing was touching it," she offered.
Shinefang's glance darted between the apprentice's face and her shoulder. "Maybe," he conceded. "Sometimes when a cat gets hurt in a way that makes a body part swell, it makes it hard to feel things below that body part. I'm hoping that if theirs some swelling in your shoulder, the mint will help." It all sounded like it made perfect sense, even as he said it. But even while he was applying the herb, he didn't see swelling. "Are you able to stand on it at all?" he asked the younger cat, managing to keep his worry at bay. He didn't need to assume the worse just yet. Her leg could be perfectly fine.