Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Roleplaying (OOC) > Plot Resources

Notice
Please read our Content Policy Update!

Interested in joining the staff team? Look here!
Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader
Dawnstar
Deputy
: None
Medicine Cat: Lostspark
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Mossfreckle

RiverClan
Leader
: Fadingsun
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Mistyshard

Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

WindClan
Leader
Twilightstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
|`Ollie's Territory`|...
Last post by GalaxyDreams
Today 04:07 PM
✩Dreamspirit Finder✩
Last post by Starphobia
Today 03:56 PM
THC victims needed!...
by Poprock
Last post by Starphobia
Today 03:50 PM
a maple tree and a basil...
by ramen
Last post by Starphobia
Today 03:48 PM

Old July 8th, 2022, 12:04 PM
a winter in my heart

Bump Policy: 1 week
My Mood: Worried

Default Re: Need information about a cat's health? Click here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelle View Post
This is not something that would ever take place in roleplay, but is part of a backstory;
Would it be realistic for a three month old kitten to suddenly die from HCM/Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy? I wasn't sure what could have caused her death as it was meant to be something sudden with little to no prior symptoms that weren't at all alarming and/or easy to hide. From what I found, HCM fit the bill - the only thing that bothered me is that it mentioned to be genetic in a lot of cases, but not all of them. Since I wouldn't want to dictate a genetic disease on a character that is not mine (the mother/father), I figured she could be one of the non genetic cases. But I would still really like to know if you think that works? Sure I've looked into it on several occasions, but I would still really appreciate to know what you think, and maybe know what you think could've happened if HCM doesn't work/isn't realistic :0

Additionally, it is possible for a kitten to be born blind, is it not? And if indeed so, would there be any specific causes behind it?

@Wingnettle sorry for the bit of a paragraph pfpf, but thank you in advance! It's really nice of you, and I've been wondering these things for a while
Hi! So...

The causes of this illness haven't been clearly identified yet, but you could still make it possible to have it as an hereditary problem since not every cat with a mutation in their genes shows the illness. The parents could have a genetic predisposition without showing it, but no cat would know it. In the end, the cause remains unknown to the cats.
In your case, the kitten might start developing HCM after they're born and maybe die suddendly because of a blood clot that causes a heart attack. More commonly these blood clots will stop the blood from flowing to the hind legs, causing acute pain and hind legs paralysis in extreme cases.
I think that the kit might die from HCM, but they would probably have a few symptoms just before that moment; as I said, the signs that they are having a heart attack if you want them to die.
https://www.vet.cornell.edu/departme...cardiomyopathy

Yes, rarely a cat can be born blind but I don't have a detailed list of causes. What can I think of is: the cat has some genes mutations that made their eyes develop differently, or they had an infection in the uterus because the mother contracted an infection capable of reaching the kit. However I can't tell you if such bacteria, virus and so on exist.

Last edited by Wingnettle; July 10th, 2022 at 05:01 AM.
Old July 8th, 2022, 12:07 PM
a winter in my heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenosaurus View Post
Hm. Well, I have my WindClan warrior, Lotuswhisper, who is set to run away with his forbidden RiverClan lover in the future. The original plan was that he was supposed to die from greencough or something along those lines since there was an illness running rampant through WindClan, but the plot is taking a bit longer than planned, so I might need more options on what illness he could contract that could kill him. He tends to overwork himself and not take care of himself, hardly eating and getting barely any sleep, etc. He’s been sick off and on for awhile now without really putting a name to it. He’s a maine coon if that matters at all, but yeah, any suggestions to possible illnesses? And the symptoms that can come with it? It will have to be fatal, but that shouldn't be too hard since he will be without any means of medicine soon and his lover has no knowledge of herbs whatsoever. @Wingnettle
This might be harder but let's try.
How many moons is this cat? Did they get sick during the travel or before? Can you tell me something more about this journey?
Old July 8th, 2022, 12:20 PM
Your Local Fisherman

Bump Policy: Never.

RiverClan/WindClan Re: Need information about a cat's health? Click here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnettle View Post
This might be harder but let's try.
How many moons is this cat? Did they get sick during the travel or before? Can you tell me something more about this journey?
He’s around 29-30 moons old. It would be preferable that he gets sick before the journey begins. Mostly because the sickness will be the reason he wants to go with his lover and leave WindClan. Lotuswhisper will deem himself as useless to his clan and feel like he’s not good enough to be a warrior anymore. He will want to die being happy with his forbidden mate. There will be good days and bad days with the sickness, where he’ll feel somewhat okay and other days where he feels in immense pain, otherwise I don't think he'd be able to travel much. The sickness can get bad enough to where they'll have to stop and he can't go any further.

I’ll link you to the specific plot that this is all happening in, where it goes into a little more detail about the journey and whatnot. You can read it all [here]. Beyond that, I'm unsure what @/R0WAN has in mind for the journey itself. Apologies for this. ^^'
Old July 8th, 2022, 01:46 PM
a winter in my heart

Quote:

He’s around 29-30 moons old. It would be preferable that he gets sick before the journey begins. Mostly because the sickness will be the reason he wants to go with his lover and leave WindClan. Lotuswhisper will deem himself as useless to his clan and feel like he’s not good enough to be a warrior anymore. He will want to die being happy with his forbidden mate. There will be good days and bad days with the sickness, where he’ll feel somewhat okay and other days where he feels in immense pain, otherwise I don't think he'd be able to travel much. The sickness can get bad enough to where they'll have to stop and he can't go any further.

I’ll link you to the specific plot that this is all happening in, where it goes into a little more detail about the journey and whatnot. You can read it all [here]. Beyond that, I'm unsure what @/R0WAN has in mind for the journey itself. Apologies for this. ^^'
Alright, another thing: would you agree to change greencough to another illness, preferably one that cannot be cured? (Greencough can be treated with catnip)
If you choose to get greencough, remember that this illness is very contagious so the cat's mate would probably get it as well.
Old July 12th, 2022, 12:16 PM
a winter in my heart

bump!
Old July 13th, 2022, 07:40 AM
Your Local Fisherman

WindClan Re: Need information about a cat's health? Click here!

Quote:
Alright, another thing: would you agree to change greencough to another illness, preferably one that cannot be cured? (Greencough can be treated with catnip)
If you choose to get greencough, remember that this illness is very contagious so the cat's mate would probably get it as well.
Apologies for the late response to this, but yes, I'd be down for another illness. Anything that you would recommend.

Last edited by Captain; July 13th, 2022 at 07:40 AM.
Old July 13th, 2022, 11:07 AM
a winter in my heart

Quote:

Apologies for the late response to this, but yes, I'd be down for another illness. Anything that you would recommend.
I have 3 options as an alternative:
-Diabete: the cat shows increased thirst, appetite and urination, although they suffer a persistent and progressive weight loss.
-Cancer: this can appear everywhere in the body and can be visible or not, depending on his position. A cancer can be benign or malignant; the first one may not make the cat show symptoms, whereas the second one often ends with the death of the animal and its development is way quicker.
-Hyperthyroidism: increased appetite, thirst, heart rate, restlessness and poor grooming habits, but still weight loss. Some cats show loss of appetite and are lethargic. Usually seen in more aged cats (after 10 years)

These illnesses have a progressive course, so the symptoms will be worsening over time. (Except for a benign cancer, where the outcome is based on its position in the body)

Last edited by Wingnettle; July 13th, 2022 at 11:07 AM.
Old July 17th, 2022, 12:08 PM
Still staring nervously

Bump Policy: Currently after 4 days!
My Mood: Dreaming

Quote:
Hi! So...

The causes of this illness haven't been clearly identified yet, but you could still make it possible to have it as an hereditary problem since not every cat with a mutation in their genes shows the illness. The parents could have a genetic predisposition without showing it, but no cat would know it. In the end, the cause remains unknown to the cats.
In your case, the kitten might start developing HCM after they're born and maybe die suddendly because of a blood clot that causes a heart attack. More commonly these blood clots will stop the blood from flowing to the hind legs, causing acute pain and hind legs paralysis in extreme cases.
I think that the kit might die from HCM, but they would probably have a few symptoms just before that moment; as I said, the signs that they are having a heart attack if you want them to die.
https://www.vet.cornell.edu/departme...cardiomyopathy

Yes, rarely a cat can be born blind but I don't have a detailed list of causes. What can I think of is: the cat has some genes mutations that made their eyes develop differently, or they had an infection in the uterus because the mother contracted an infection capable of reaching the kit. However I can't tell you if such bacteria, virus and so on exist.

Does that also mean any siblings of the kit could have a genetic predisposition for it as well, without necessarily developing HCM?

Thank you so much for the information, and the link! It's very helpful!
Old July 17th, 2022, 12:13 PM
Your Local Fisherman

Thumbs up Re: Need information about a cat's health? Click here!

Quote:
I have 3 options as an alternative:
-Diabete: the cat shows increased thirst, appetite and urination, although they suffer a persistent and progressive weight loss.
-Cancer: this can appear everywhere in the body and can be visible or not, depending on his position. A cancer can be benign or malignant; the first one may not make the cat show symptoms, whereas the second one often ends with the death of the animal and its development is way quicker.
-Hyperthyroidism: increased appetite, thirst, heart rate, restlessness and poor grooming habits, but still weight loss. Some cats show loss of appetite and are lethargic. Usually seen in more aged cats (after 10 years)

These illnesses have a progressive course, so the symptoms will be worsening over time. (Except for a benign cancer, where the outcome is based on its position in the body)
I think I'll be going with Diabetes! After doing some poking around of my own, that would be the best one for him, thank you!
Old July 17th, 2022, 01:18 PM
a winter in my heart

Quote:
I think I'll be going with Diabetes! After doing some poking around of my own, that would be the best one for him, thank you!
You are welcome! The books refer to diabete as the "thirsting illness" but only medecine cats should know about it. If you remember well enough, that's the same sickness Leopardstar died from!