Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Roleplaying (OOC) > Plot Resources

Notice
Please read our Content Policy Update!

Interested in joining the staff team? Look here!
Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader
Dawnstar
Deputy
: None
Medicine Cat: Lostspark
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Mossfreckle

RiverClan
Leader
: Fadingsun
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Mistyshard

Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

WindClan
Leader
Twilightstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
RiverClan Nursery
by BEAR.
Last post by alec
Today 03:03 PM
Dakotaas art shop!
by Dakotaa
Last post by Dakotaa
Today 03:02 PM
Looking for PebbleSplash...
by Dakotaa
Last post by MaplestrikeWCUE
Today 03:02 PM
foggy dreams and bone deep...
by alec
Last post by Marigoldwhisper
Today 02:53 PM
WindClan Clearing
by Ian
Last post by CloudlessEve
Today 02:52 PM

Old July 4th, 2022, 08:03 AM
a winter in my heart

Bump Policy: 1 week
My Mood: Worried

Question ♡ Medical advice | Cat health & illnesses

I've got this idea when a user asked for a plot if greencough could be gotten during new-leaf.

Do you need a plot and you need to make an illness work? Are you unsure about some specific cat health related problems? (NOT about herbs!)
I'm offering free advice to make it clear! I'm a vet student, so I know a few things that could help you.

Note: I can make specific suggestions for health problems, but the cat won't likely know anything about it. Only medicine cats have a basic knowledge of wounds.

For example: I need a cat that gets an unknown illness and eventually dies, with the symptoms x,y,z.
I will give you a suggestion, or you can give me one and I'll help you build the illness evolution needed for the plot.
I must specify that I haven't studied many specific pathologies yet, so I'll probably have to do some research first! I'm just starting my 3rd year now ♥︎

You can use this form:
• Which symptoms should your cat have?
• Do you want a genetic or acquired illness/condition?
• How many moons is this cat? Is it a certain breed?
• What's the cat past? How/where does it live now?
• Has it already some condition/other problems?
• What should the outcome of the illness/condition be?
• Is there a bigger plot around the illness/condition?

• Mention: @Wingnettle

Note: it is advisable that you do not choose any illness with a contagious infective origine, otherwise the cats that interact with the sick will likely get infected too!

Also. Little kk tips appreciated! (I'm so broke aah)

Last edited by Wingnettle; October 21st, 2023 at 03:09 AM.
Old July 8th, 2022, 06:57 AM
a winter in my heart

Default Re: Need information about a cat's health? Click here!

bump!
Old July 8th, 2022, 07:02 AM
watermeon

Bump Policy: after 48 hours
My Mood: Yeehaw

you have any info of FCDR? mostly how it presents, how far it progresses, etc. I’ve been considering making a character who would have a taurine deficiency
@Wingnettle

“and the human race is filled with passion. and medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. but poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.”
— john keating (robin williams), dead poets society

profile image credits:
background image credits found in albums | pfp - wallace and gromit

Last edited by beau; July 8th, 2022 at 07:03 AM.
Old July 8th, 2022, 07:22 AM
a winter in my heart

What's FCDR? I can tell you straightforward that a wild cat can't have this deficiency since taurine is an amino acid vastly found in prey (raw meat). I don't think either that there could be genetic/ereditary causes so I suggest that you look for another illness. @Naiad
Old July 8th, 2022, 07:46 AM
watermeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnettle View Post
What's FCDR? I can tell you straightforward that a wild cat can't have this deficiency since taurine is an amino acid vastly found in prey (raw meat). I don't think either that there could be genetic/ereditary causes so I suggest that you look for another illness. @Naiad
FCDR is a retinal degeneration disease, which Abyssinian cats are prone to (he would have that breed in his bloodline), and it can be triggered by taurine deficiencies. I’m aware cats get taurine from consuming prey, the concept I have in mind is an overly stubborn cat who decides he will eat exclusively plants and suffer some health problems because of it, before begrudgingly going back to eating prey. I have no clue if I’d actually do anything with, he’s just a fun concept I’ve had bouncing around :P

“and the human race is filled with passion. and medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. but poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.”

profile image credits:
Old July 8th, 2022, 08:07 AM
a winter in my heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiad View Post

FCDR is a retinal degeneration disease, which Abyssinian cats are prone to (he would have that breed in his bloodline), and it can be triggered by taurine deficiencies. I’m aware cats get taurine from consuming prey, the concept I have in mind is an overly stubborn cat who decides he will eat exclusively plants and suffer some health problems because of it, before begrudgingly going back to eating prey. I have no clue if I’d actually do anything with, he’s just a fun concept I’ve had bouncing around :P
I don't think that it would be realistic/acceptable in a roleplay, anyway a plant-based diet for a wild cat couldn't last long - a cat needs to have MANY little meals throughout the day especially because of his protein metabolism. This cat wouldn't digest nearly at all plants, so they would have digestive problems, lack of energy (from protein and fats) and lack of important nutrients such as taurina. They would rapidly lose weight and starve to death before developing other health problems such as the retinal degeneration.
If we are talking about domestic cats who are fed a commercial vegan diet, that is a little different (and not always working), but wild cats? They wouldn't be able to eat any plant from the wild, since they are 1. Inadequate for consumption, 2. Not processed and 3. Honestly disgusting
Old July 8th, 2022, 08:12 AM
watermeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnettle View Post
I don't think that it would be realistic/acceptable in a roleplay, anyway a plant-based diet for a wild cat couldn't last long - a cat needs to have MANY little meals throughout the day especially because of his protein metabolism. This cat wouldn't digest nearly at all plants, so they would have digestive problems, lack of energy (from protein and fats) and lack of important nutrients such as taurina. They would rapidly lose weight and starve to death before developing other health problems such as the retinal degeneration.
If we are talking about domestic cats who are fed a commercial vegan diet, that is a little different (and not always working), but wild cats? They wouldn't be able to eat any plant from the wild, since they are 1. Inadequate for consumption, 2. Not processed and 3. Honestly disgusting
alright, ty for the info! do you have any resources about retinal diseases in cats that you might be able to send me? as he could still inherit the condition, regardless of whether he has a taurine deficiency or not

profile image credits:
Old July 8th, 2022, 08:55 AM
a winter in my heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiad View Post

alright, ty for the info! do you have any resources about retinal diseases in cats that you might be able to send me? as he could still inherit the condition, regardless of whether he has a taurine deficiency or not
https://basepaws.com/blogs/news/prog...al-atrophy-pra
It's called PRA: progressive retinal atrophy
There's not much to say, except that at a certain age the cat starts to show vision loss until blindness.
Old July 8th, 2022, 09:39 AM
Still staring nervously

Bump Policy: Currently after 4 days!
My Mood: Dreaming

This is not something that would ever take place in roleplay, but is part of a backstory;
Would it be realistic for a three month old kitten to suddenly die from HCM/Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy? I wasn't sure what could have caused her death as it was meant to be something sudden with little to no prior symptoms that weren't at all alarming and/or easy to hide. From what I found, HCM fit the bill - the only thing that bothered me is that it mentioned to be genetic in a lot of cases, but not all of them. Since I wouldn't want to dictate a genetic disease on a character that is not mine (the mother/father), I figured she could be one of the non genetic cases. But I would still really like to know if you think that works? Sure I've looked into it on several occasions, but I would still really appreciate to know what you think, and maybe know what you think could've happened if HCM doesn't work/isn't realistic :0

Additionally, it is possible for a kitten to be born blind, is it not? And if indeed so, would there be any specific causes behind it?

@Wingnettle sorry for the bit of a paragraph pfpf, but thank you in advance! It's really nice of you, and I've been wondering these things for a while
Old July 8th, 2022, 09:48 AM
Your Local Fisherman

Bump Policy: Never.

WindClan Re: Need information about a cat's health? Click here!

Hm. Well, I have my WindClan warrior, Lotuswhisper, who is set to run away with his forbidden RiverClan lover in the future. The original plan was that he was supposed to die from greencough or something along those lines since there was an illness running rampant through WindClan, but the plot is taking a bit longer than planned, so I might need more options on what illness he could contract that could kill him. He tends to overwork himself and not take care of himself, hardly eating and getting barely any sleep, etc. He’s been sick off and on for awhile now without really putting a name to it. He’s a maine coon if that matters at all, but yeah, any suggestions to possible illnesses? And the symptoms that can come with it? It will have to be fatal, but that shouldn't be too hard since he will be without any means of medicine soon and his lover has no knowledge of herbs whatsoever. @Wingnettle