Today 08:38 PM
Ambushing a Hawk [p]
Last post by Estelle
Today 08:19 PM

Old July 6th, 2021, 09:22 AM
By Unpopular Demand: Me

My Mood: Devilish

Default Misty Memories [Story]

“And, that’s the territory!” Hawthornpaw’s mentor, Poppytail concluded, smiling brightly, “Do you have any questions?”
Hawthornpaw shook his head,
“No ma’am.”
Pinepaw emerged from the bushes, her mentor Stemfoot behind her, Pinepaw’s eyes glowed,
“Wow! Can you believe the river, Hawth? It’s so... big!
Stemfoot rolled her eyes, her smile crooked,
“Yes, yes, you’ve been babbling about it since we left!”
Hawthornpaw walked over to his sister,
“Yeah! It was great!” He agreed, bumping her shoulder with his, “And now that the tour’s over...” He turned to his mentor, “Poppytail, Stemfoot, can we go check out the apprentice’s den now?”
Poppytail looked to Stemfoot, the two seemed to have a conversation it’s their eyes alone before she turned back to the apprentices,
“Yeah, me and Stemmy need a date night anyway,” She purred, “Have fun you two!” She then padded off saying to Stemfoot,
“Hon’, you’ve got a stick in your tail.”
Hawthornpaw jumped up and dashed over to the apprentice’s den,
“Race ya!” He squealed, kicking up dirt as he ran.
“Not if I race you first!” Cried Pinepaw, who wasn’t the best as snappy responses.
Hawthornpaw was still in the lead, he was right about to leap into the den, when a tall, burly brown tom emerged from it.
Hawthornpaw didn’t have time to slow down, and he crashed right into him!
The brown apprentice staggered back as the smaller crashed into him, he let out a surprised “mrear!” before looking down at Hawthornpaw,
“Great StarClan little brother! You pack quite a punch!” Moosepaw chuckled, his eyes twinkling with humor.
“Sorry Moose!” Hawthornpaw said, “I didn’t see you!”
Moosepaw smiled,
“It’s fine, Hawth, I know how excited you must be! It’s your first day of being an apprentice!”
Hawthornpaw purred, Moosepaw was one moon older than him, and bigger too, but he always was kind to him, and that was what counted.
As for the “little brother” nickname, it was an inside joke between the two of them, as when Moosepaw became an apprentice, Hawthornpaw would follow him everywhere, earning the nickname “little brother”.
“Where’s your sis?” Moosepaw asked, scanning the camp for her.
“I must have lost her back there when we were racing,” Hawthornpaw said, “I’ll go get her, I’ll be right back.”
Where was Pinepaw?! Hawthornpaw grumbled as he searched the forest nearby for his naughty sister, he hoped she would show up soon, as he wanted to continue talking to Moosepaw.
After a few minutes of searching, Pinepaw came crashing out of the ferns near the entrance, and Hawthornpaw was there to growl at her,
“Where were you?! I’ve searched the whole camp for you!”
Pinepaw’s eyes dilated nervously,
“S-sorry,” She murmured, “I must have taken a wrong turn...”
Pinepaw then brushed past him, and as she passed, Hawthornpaw caught her scent, it was normal... except... what was that?
Pinepaw’s scent was laced lightly with the smell of ThunderClan!
Hawthornpaw blinked open his eyes to a bright, sunny morning, he groaned,
"Is it time to wake up already?"
Moosepaw, who had been nudging him, nodded,
"Yeah, you lazy mouse-brain! We're waiting for you! Poppytail, Stemfoot, Pinepaw, Larkbounce and I have already eaten!" He said, nudging Hawthornpaw to his paws,
"We're going on a patrol to Smallpines!"
Hawthornpaw yawned, "Can I eat first?"
Moosepaw shook his head, "No, sorry, we have to leave now if we're going to finish the patrol before sunhigh."
Groaning again, Hawthornpaw stood and sleepily plodded after his friend to where the rest of the patrol was waiting.
"Finally, he's here!" Pinepaw smiled at him, but didn't seem to want to meet his eye, "We can get this patrol started."
Stemfoot smiled at her apprentice, "That's the spirit, Pinepaw! I'm so glad you're in a good mood for a Dawn Patrol! That's irregular for most cats," She chuckled.
"I'm just eager to start, I guess," She replied, hers eyes cast downward as she spoke. Hawthornpaw detected... guilt in her voice.
Now, why would Pinepaw feel guilty?
"Alright, let's go!" Poppytail chirruped, flouncing off towards the camp entrance.
Stemfoot let out an audible snort and followed Poppytail, not flouncing though.
The rest of the patrol followed the two she-cats, with Larkbounce, who was Moosepaw's mentor, bringing up the end.
As the patrol made their way to the ThunderClan border, Hawthornpaw watched Pinepaw, who seemed to be avoiding eye contact, and was only responding in short, brief sentences. Having known Pinepaw all her life, Hawthornpaw knew immediately something was wrong.
"What's wrong?" he asked her in a whisper, "Are you feeling okay?"
Pinepaw turned to him, her face blank, "Yeah... I'm er... just wondering what would happen if we met a ThunderClan patrol..."
Hawthornpaw knew she was lying, "That's a lie," He said, "Tell me what's really going on, sis, I can help you feel better-"
Pinepaw turned her head again, and this time she met his eyes, guilt and remorse in their green depths,
"I can't tell you, okay? I'm sorry, it's for the best. I promise it's not about you... and in the end, things will be better."
"What do you mean by that?" Hawthornpaw asked, "What's not about me?"
Pinepaw looked away, "Just trust me."
"Pinepaw, you can tell me what's going on, I'm your brother!" He cried, drawing a look from Larkbounce.
Pinepaw didn't respond.
When they reached the border, the Warriors and Moosepaw marked it.
As Hawthornpaw watched, he heard Pinepaw say, "-should be here."
"Who should be here?" Hawthornpaw asked in confusion.
Pinepaw turned to him, "Stop eavesdropping."
Suddenly, there was a rustle in the undergrowth on the ThunderClan side of the border, and all the cats on the patrol quickly took a defensive stance as a silver tom padded out of the bushes.
"Pinepaw!" He said, his eyes brightening, "I see you accepted your father's offer! Excellent! And you brought your brother too! You both will make an excellent addition to ThunderClan!"
Hawthornpaw gasped and cried, "We what?!"
Hawthornpaw was rooted to the ground in shock, he turned to Pinepaw,
“Accepted our father’s offer? What does he mean?!”
Pinepaw blinked at him apologetically, but she now looked happier and more upbeat,
“Sorry I had to keep you in the dark about it, but I’ve decided we should go live with our dad in ThunderClan! Isn’t that great! Owlfeather here is coming to take us!”
Blood roared in Hawthornpaw’s ears,
“W-what?”
Pinepaw nudged him in the side, steering him across the border while the rest of the patrol watched, shell shocked.
“Come on! Let’s go! The sooner we get there, the sooner we’re assigned new mentors!” Chirped Pinepaw, eyes dancing, “Just imagine! Life with our father!”
Finally regaining his composure, Hawthornpaw rooted his paws into the ground,
“No!”
Pinepaw stepped back, horror in her eyes,
“Hawthornpaw... w-what?”
“You heard me!” Hawthornpaw snarled, “I said no! I don’t want to live in ThunderClan!”
“But our father lives there! Our father!
“So?! I’ve never even met the guy!”
“He’s still our father! Hawthornpaw, pleas-“
Hawthornpaw growled and stomped over to Moosepaw,
“I don’t want to hear it! Go! Live in ThunderClan with our father! I won’t miss you! I’ll actually enjoy your absence!”
Pinepaw bit her lower lip as it trembled, she looked ready to cry.
Owlfeather decided it was time to cut in,
“Pinepaw, you and your brother need to make your decisions now, your father isn’t going to wait much longer, you’ve already stalled for a moon.”
Pinepaw took a gasping breath, her eyes tearing off of Hawthornpaw to Owlfeather and back again,
“I-I-“
“Just go!” Cried Hawthornpaw, “You don’t love me anyway!”
Pinepaw shrank away,
“Al-alright, Owlfeather, take me... take me home.”
“Excellent,” Owlfeather smiled, wrapping his tail over Pinepaw’s shoulders, “Ah, wait, aren’t you going to say goodbye to your brother?”
Pinepaw shook her head, and the two of them disappeared into the ThunderClan forest.
Forever.
“Aw, come on Little Brother! Just eat the vole, it’s delicious!” Moosepaw said, eyes searching Hawthornpaw’s face,
“Please, Pinepaw’s been gone for two days now, and you’ve barely eaten since then, you have to eat, I don’t want you dying on me.”
Hawthornpaw looked up at Moosepaw from where he lay curled in his nest, his eyes dark,
“I didn’t even say goodbye to her, I’ll never see her again, and I couldn’t even say one lousy goodbye...” He murmured under his breath, “It’ll be better if I starve.”
Moosepaw tapped his tail on the ground,
“No. Nuh uh, you are not saying that.” He picked Hawthornpaw’s head up by putting his paw under his chin, “Tell you what, I just found a really cool stream near the camp... wanna go check it out with me?” His eyes gleamed mischievously.
Hawthornpaw blinked up at him,
”Moose... I- thanks for trying but... I’m just not feeling it right now.”
Moosepaw was not one to take no for an answer.
“If you don’t feel it now, you won’t feel it ever so...” He grabbed the scruff of Hawthornpaw’s neck in his jaws, and dragged him into the clearing, “Let’s go!”
Hawthornpaw groaned and stood up,
“Fine, but never, never do that again, or I will not hesitate to attack you.”
Moosepaw shrugged,
“Fine by me, now let’s go!
Moosepaw dashed for the camp entrance, and Hawthornpaw followed.

Last edited by Willowfern; July 17th, 2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old July 9th, 2021, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Misty Memories [Story]

Chapter two is up!

Last edited by Willowfern; July 9th, 2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old July 15th, 2021, 04:00 PM

working on chapter three today!
Old July 15th, 2021, 04:52 PM

Both chapter three and four are up!
Two in one day! I’m on a roll! lol
Old July 16th, 2021, 05:03 PM