Last post by Bean
Today 09:18 AM

Old November 19th, 2023, 12:15 PM
as long as i breathe

Bump Policy: 3 days / 1 if time sensitive
My Mood: Kingly

Default teachings from beyond [herb training]

Fawnlight
It had been awhile since the once-pristine she-cat had pulled herself out from her little hidden alcove in the stars. For many moons Fawnlight had kept to herself, unwilling to venture much farther than her own little patch of "paradise". She had heard whispers among the breeze of RiverClan, of how it had fallen and gone through two more leaders. One of them being her father-

The pain that clutched her heart was too much to continue the train of thought and shook her head as if that would dislodge it. She hadn't seen him among the stars yet - but she also hadn't done much to look. Not that it was what she needed to focus on right now. There was a young cat who needed her (she tried to ignore how she had never visited Stonepaw...)

Waiting patiently in her little meadow near the small den she had resided in, Fawnlight turned her blue gaze to the sky above. It was calm and clear, and nearby the sound of water trickling could be heard. This would be familiar to young Tansypaw she hoped, similar to RiverClan's territory - so that when she arrived into this dream, it wouldn't be that much of a shock. She'd done her best to groom her fur, stars sparkling brightly within it, but there was a certain... difference to her since her days of dying.

[ @silver. ]

dusklion is riverclan's deputy; if you need her, mention me!
riverclan resourcesriverclan apprentice trainingkit curriculum
| character siteabout meroleplay tracker |

Last edited by taillow; November 19th, 2023 at 12:16 PM.
Old November 19th, 2023, 12:38 PM
silly little guy

Bump Policy: 72 hrs!
My Mood: Dead

Default Re: teachings from beyond [herb training]

purrks: herbal knowledge tier 2, agatha kitty [PERM]
89/200

---

As of late sleep had been hard to come by. Sending out patrols, organizing what little resources they had, helping each and every cat that walked through that entrance... It was leaving the young tortie in a state of fatigue. Of being overworked. She was tired and stressed and scared and just about everything else out there. And worst of all she only had one stalk of thyme left to soothe her nerves... When she thinks about it, she shouldn't be so reliant on it, but... What other choice did she have? Barely eating, barely sleeping... No one there to check in on her and make sure she was taking care of herself... It seemed as though she didn't have much a choice but to keep pushing forward.

Until she can't. Until she's so tired that she sinks into a nest in the main area of the med den and finds herself drifting off to sleep as soon as he head hits the soft moss.

Curious gaze scans the calm landscape as she seemingly awakens... Not where she remembers. This again, huh... Appearing in some astral dreamland to speak with... Who, exactly? Would it be that kit again? It couldn't be... This place looked so much different than the sandy shore she had met him on. An ear twitches curiously as she admires the world in awe... Only to stop. Freeze up tense and stare at the figure nearby that she hadn't noticed before. Another stranger with a pelt of stars. Last time she spoke to one of these Starclan cats they were awfully kind... So her paws push her forward through the foliage, crossing the meadow and stopping a few fox-lengths away from the star dappled she-cat.

"... Hello." She meows quietly. Barely above a whisper-- the running water nearly drowns out her nervous greeting. "Did you want to talk to me about something?"

fawnlight | @birdie

" oh the places you'll go, little love of mine "
character bios.
gif of cloverhoney by @/ramen !
Old November 19th, 2023, 12:47 PM
as long as i breathe

Fawnlight
The former medicine cat took a moment to close her eyes, breathing in the scents around her as Tansypaw appeared. They opened again to observe the young torbie as she gazed around at the scenery. It reminded Fawnlight of the first time she had set paw on StarClan's hunting grounds. Awe-struck she had done her best to take in every detail, memorize every little patch of sunlight and drift of the breeze. She wondered if it was the same for Tansypaw.

"Hello," she returned quietly, though a smile broke through and spread across her maw. It didn't surprise her that this cat did not know her; she hadn't left much of an impact on RiverClan, what with her short term as it's medicine cat. Forgotten on the breath of the new breeze, only remembered by those who were now missing or dead. "Sort of." Getting to her paws, Fawnlight gestures for Tansypaw to follow her closer to where her den is, where she has several herbs laid out. It was easier to collect them in StarClan.

Once situated behind her display, the dappled brown she-cat turned to look at Tansypaw once more. "I'm sorry it's taken me this long to visit you. My name is Fawnlight - I was once RiverClan's medicine cat." She allowed a moment of silence to befall them, giving her a chance to digest that information. "I've seen your struggles. I wanted to make sure you knew... you are not alone. And if you would like... I can teach you what I know, so that you can use it to aid your Clan."

[ @silver. ]

Last edited by taillow; November 19th, 2023 at 12:47 PM.
Old November 19th, 2023, 01:01 PM
silly little guy

purrks: herbal knowledge tier 2, agatha kitty [PERM]
91/200

---

Sort of? Was this some sort of judgement day or something?! Despite the other's calm smile, Tansypaw couldn't help but be set on edge. The fur of her tail puffs up a bit, try as she may to remain calm, and she swallows hard before heeding the other's silent request to follow. Head low and gaze cautiously sweeping every inch of unfamiliarity, she pads after the other. When she seats herself behind a display of herbs... She understands. Or well, at least she hopes she understands. If this was some kind of test she was bound to fail-- none of these things looked familiar to her at all!

Ears perk as Fawnlight once again begins to speak and it takes all of her strength not to reel back in surprise. Riverclan's past medicine cat?! Here she was thinking this was just some warrior that knew a few things that had something to share! Again, she bows her head respectfully to continue listening to what her senior had to say. Seen her struggles? What struggles did she mean? The struggles of her past? Or perhaps what she was pushing through currently? How much power did these Starclan cats have, exactly? The more and more she interacts with them, however, the more she begins to understand their strength...

"Of course I would!" She blurts out suddenly, only to shrink in on herself sheepishly. More knowledge meant she could do more. Help more. Not let anyone else die at her useless, inexperienced paws. "I... Thank you. It's great to meet ya, Fawnlight... I'm Tansypaw-- But I'm sure you already knew that."

Straightening her posture, she stares down at the herbs displayed before her paws with a curious stare. With the promise of learning, it seemed as though the young tortie had done a complete switch. Now she seemed as eager as a kit to listen to what the older cat had to say, the fear that once swelled within chocolate hues long gone. Well, that is until doubt rears it's head again and her stare moves to once again settle upon Fawnlight's face.

"And... You're alright with this? Me being a medicine cat? Even though I'm not from Riverclan?" Maybe she just needed to hear the validation, who knows. But she regrets the question almost immediately.

character bios.
Old November 19th, 2023, 01:24 PM
as long as i breathe

Fawnlight
With each passing moment, the smile upon Fawnlight's face grew. Stars, she reminded her of how she had been in her younger moons - slightly scared of pretty much everything, but also eager to learn as much as she could. Back then, she'd had cats there for her - Wormbite, Beansprout, Cloudjumper - and it had been her saving grace. From now on, she would make sure that Tansypaw had that as well - even if it came from the stars above.

"It's lovely to meet you as well," she purred, whiskers twitching in amusement. The demeanor of the young cat before her changed almost immediately, and Fawnlight herself felt excited as well. Teaching had always been something she enjoyed thoroughly; sharing her love of herbs and healing with others. "Oh, of course I am little wildflower," she replied almost immediately, nodding. "The role of the Clan's medicine cat doesn't care what blood flows through you - it only cares for your heart, and that it beats for the health and safety of your Clan."

She was reminded then of the cats who had reached out to her from beyond the stars, those who had encouraged her and picked her up when she fell. Hopefully, in time, she could do the same here.

"Now, let's get started, hmm?" She didn't wish to waste much time - there would be dreams later on down the line where they could relax and do things other than learning herbs; right now she wanted to give what she figured the young cat needed most, and that was the knowledge on the remedies she knew herself. One small dark brown paw (unburnt, a gift from the stars thankfully) scooped up the stem of a flower near the edge of the display. It had thing bright yellow petals that surrounded a yellow center, similar to a dandelion. "This first one is called Coltsfoot. It looks like a dandelion, but normally only has yellow petals and a yellow center - while it can have white petals, it's not common. It blooms best in newleaf and carries a rich, sweet scent similar to honey."

Using her paw she pushed the coltsfoot towards Tansypaw so she could inspect it. "You'll need to chew it into a pulp to use it to soothe cracked paw pads. Alternatively, you can have cats suffering from cough chew and swallow it themselves to ease their breathing and reduce their fevers." A useful herb going into leaf-bare, that was certain. "It's safe for kittens as well, though they only need about half the dosage that a warrior does."

[ @silver. ]

Old November 19th, 2023, 01:46 PM
silly little guy

purrks: herbal knowledge tier 2, agatha kitty, just a scratch [PERM]

92/200

---

Validation received. The nervousness in her frame seems to melt away when Fawnlight reassures her that this choice was certain. That her choice was her own and she was standing by it-- believed in it. If this cat of Riverclan's past believed in her and placed faith in her like Gingerfrost did then she was truly meant to be here, right? Once an outsider. Once a young cat with no direction and no where to belong she had a home and a purpose. A purpose she would fulfill dutifully. Expression steeled with determination, she stares at the flower intently as the explanation is given, rounded ears at full attention so she can absorb as much knowledge as possible, as quickly as possible.

With the coming cold season this one would prove to be useful. It's a shame Newleaf is so far away... There was very little chance for the plant to still be growing in full now that the weather was so cold. She would have to make a note to herself to keep an eye out for it on the territory. Maybe she would get lucky. It seemed like an essential for Leafbare... Especially since it worked for kits, too. Talk about a powerhouse of an herb. When it's pushed forward she doesn't hesitate to crouch and sniff at it. Though she didn't know what honey was this flower sure did smell nice and sweet... And though she wants to pluck off a petal to familiarize herself with the taste she holds off for now, sitting back up to ask her questions.

"What's honey?" She starts, head tilting off to a side. "And I was thinking about something. Right now, our herb storage is pretty pathetic. Like... Really terrible. Do ya know a way that I could preserve 'em better? So that they last longer?"

fawnlight | @birdie

character bios.
Old November 19th, 2023, 07:15 PM
as long as i breathe

Fawnlight
"Honey is a sticky, sweet-smelling yellow substance produced by bees. It's harvested from honey combs which can be found in bee nests. They usually hang from trees and are sort of round and dark in color." A smile spread across her face and tiny laughter bubbles out. "It can be sticky though, so both applying it for medicinal purposes and gathering it will cause a bit of a mess."

The second question that the young cat posed was one that Fawnlight had to think over. Moons of memories sifted through until she recalled a day long out, out in RiverClan's territory. She had been a 'paw then, but she had ran into Reedpaw who had been Snakeheart's apprentice before they had both disappeared. "There was one way I was taught on how to preserve some of the herbs; it's called "flash-freezing". You'll want to take your herbs, dip them into the colder water, then allow them to lay flat on a rock under some shade so they can sort of frost over. It won't kill them, but it will allow them to last longer."

As if to demonstrate this, Fawnlight took another herb from the pile in her jaws gently. She offered a smile to Tansypaw and jerked her head for the young cat to follow her. Dark brown paws carried her around the backside of her den, pushing through some of the foliage to where there was a small pond. Stretching away from it was a stream, crystalline and still and extending further into the forest and StarClan's territory.

Flicking her fluffy tail the former medicine cat came to sit beside the edge of the pond, dropping the catmint at her paws. "This is catmint. Essential for curing whitecough and greencough. The leaves are soft to the touch, almost fuzzy, and have a sweet taste and smell." Lifting the catmint with her paw she dipped it into the water, holding it there briefly before lifting it up and setting it on a nearby flat rock under the shade of the trees. "Allowing the herbs to lay on the stone under shade will give them a chance to freeze, so that they can last longer throughout the winter."

[ @silver. ]

Old November 20th, 2023, 02:50 PM
silly little guy

93/200

---

Certainly sounded like more trouble than it was worth... Messy AND you'd have to fight bees for it? No thanks, she'd be sure to keep her distance. If coltsfoot was going to be just as useful-- though that was just a hunch, she had no clue what honey did in full-- then sticking to the flower would very much be her preference. Once Fawnlight begins to talk once again the apprentice listens with rapt attention... The more she explains, the more curious she gets, her body leaning in toward the other she-cat as if moving closer would stick the information into her brain faster. Flash freezing, huh? That sounded so... Interesting! Essentially playing nature and putting an herb's life on pause... Soooo cool. And during Leafbare the water was so cold... What a surefire way to make sure she would have enough stock through the winter.

Gestured to follow, Tansypaw follows along eagerly. All previous hesitation or fear had been long abandoned, the tortie making the effort to walk beside Fawnlight with her tail raised high as the two made their way through astral foliage. The pond comes into view and the young healer is in awe at it's beauty... Chocolate hues follow the stream further into the territory, curious to where it leads. Her curiosity is short-lived because the lesson was back on and it was her duty to pay attention. So she sits beside the other and tilts her head at the new herb. Catmint. Why, that sounded like one of the most useful of all. Though Tansypaw hadn't encountered whitecough or greencough yet in her short life, she knew it was bound to come her way now sooner or later.

She watches as the leaf is dipped into the water, mentally counting each and every second it spends there before it's lifted back out. The number is mentally recorded and she nods in understanding to the other's words, not wanting her to think that she wasn't listening.

"That's pretty nifty. I'm definitely gonna give that a try." Another nod as if to reassure herself, gaze lingering on the fuzzy leaf only a moment longer before traveling to settle upon Fawnlight's face once more. "Everything so far is gonna help me so much... Can't explain how grateful I am. Do ya have anything else to show me in there?"

fawnlight | @birdie

character bios.
Old November 20th, 2023, 03:21 PM
as long as i breathe

Fawnlight
"It works well with most herbs. Others, like poppy seeds or roots, you won't need to freeze. Berries can be preserved by keeping them in a little dug out area, though I never was able to try that." It was only a theory that Fawnlight had anyway, one that she hadn't gotten to try out. She figured it would work though - having them tucked away somewhere dark and cool, where the elements couldn't get to them.

Grasping the catmint in her jaws she gestured for Tansypaw to follow her back over to where the rest of the pile was. Thankfully it was a short trip and she set the plant down before looking at Tansypaw. "Catmint is hard to find in Clan territories. It grows best generally in Twoleg gardens, or sometimes near abandoned structures. It dies easily in leaf-bare, but Twolegs are somehow able to preserve them."

Looking at her pile, the former medicine cat tried to determine what could be of use to teach next. "I've got a few," Fawnlight replied with a smile. "I'm glad. RiverClan's health and safety are the most important, so I want to make sure I can teach you all that I know." Part of it was because she knew it was her duty, and the other part... she didn't want another young cat to feel the immense amount of pressure that she had when StarClan had selected her. She didn't want her paws to be inexperienced heading into leaf-bare. Was Tansypaw prepared for the death the colder moons would bring?

"Ah, here's a herb that will help you in leaf-bare, and it doesn't die out due to the colder weather. I discovered this while out in RiverClan territory. I am not sure of its actual name, but I've called them Yellow Bells for their resemblance to the bell-shaped flowers." Using her paws Fawnlight moved one of the yellow bells out between them. They had sort of a bell shape to them and were vibrant in color. "You'll catch a grassy smell when you come across it. Even if there is snow on the ground, you can still find them in meadows and near open patches of land. I would try looking near the WindClan border, or even areas leading to Seastones." From what she recalled, those were generally the most open areas - but she could be wrong.

"It helps with wounds and can be used to aid in mending broken bones and soothing wounds. It'll be bitter though, so make sure you're ready for that sharp taste." Fawnlight pushed the herb back into the group before retrieving another. "Next up we have Celandine." Another yellow flower, but this one had distinct four petals with clearly fuzzy leaves and petals, as well as its center. "It grows well in RiverClan territory, and if crushed and prepared into a poultice, you can drip it into the eyes of your Clanmates to help damaged or weakened eyes." This was an herb she had learned from Elmshadow and Ivysnake if she remembered correctly.

[ @silver. according to the list, there's two more that fawn knows that tansy doesn't, so i'll have her teach those as well in the next post and then go over everything once again ]

Last edited by taillow; November 20th, 2023 at 04:04 PM.
Old November 20th, 2023, 03:41 PM
silly little guy

94/200

---

A little dug out area... That made some sense to her. Especially if she laid down some leaves to keep out any worms or bugs that would want to take advantage of the fruit. And the ground was so cold in Leafbare... Was there something about the cold that really worked to preserve things? The words that are spoken to her go over her head as she thinks deeply on the concept of freezing and preservation... It was her duty to make sure they had an adequate stock going into these colder months. If she didn't she would surely let others die. Just like Willowwisp. The thought of the molly forces a small frown to settle onto her maw but the sadness has little time to linger. Moving back into the den, she walks along silently, mind still working hard to understand how she could make use of it all and the weight of her inexperience.

Her attention finally falls unto the yellow flowers. Her head tilts curiously at the odd shape of them and she moves forward to give them a good sniff. Grassy smell for sure... Compared to most flowers they were pretty unique. Next time she was out on a patrol she would definitely keep an eye out for the bright color amongst the dying grasses. Tansypaw can't help but wince as Fawnlight explains the use of celadine... That would have been useful when she was trying to treat Sootpelt... Perhaps she could track some down and do a check in with the warrior to give the new herb at her disposal a try.

"Aside from the celadine... What else should I do for a cat that gets attacked in the eyes?" She asks in a whisper, unable to meet the other's gaze. "Sorry I keep askin' so many questions... I just... I don't want to let anyone else down. Gotta learn as much as I can while I can and you've been more helpful than anyone else so far."

For some odd reason she can feel herself getting a bit... Restless. Did this mean her dream was coming to an end? Would she blink one of these times and be greeted with the familiar sight of the Riverclan medicine cat den? She hopes not. The lesson wasn't over yet! There was still so much to learn, to ask about--

[ sounds good to me!! <3 ]
fawnlight | @birdie

character bios.