Willow’s Free Art Shop
Last post by Willowfern
Today 06:31 PM

Old May 15th, 2024, 12:41 PM
ruler of everything

Bump Policy: daily, please!
My Mood: Mysterious

Default Re: Croaking Swamp

one loggerhead shrike must skewer my invertebrate doppelganger on barbed wire.
[ @Omari @Neptune.]

well, midnight seemed to have mushrooms covered. and he had enough of an ego to think he could find some dock on his own. so, he broke off from the patrol a few foxlengths.

the forest seemed to open up around him, a whole host of possibilities. with newleaf passed and greenleaf in full swing, the florid expanse of the pine and conifer territories that shadowclan dominated were at his paws. not that apprentices were allowed out alone, but there were ways to circumvent that. nosing around through the underbrush, he recalled what mossfreckle had described.

growin' outta the ground, green 'n leafy. ruffled and oval. he wondered what it smelled like, tasted like. after rooting around in the underbrush for what felt like forever, he broke into a small clearing in the forest, dominated by leafy plants. he thought that maybe, like the rest of these low-growing plants, that maybe he'd have a better shot at finding dock here. so, with a little bit of sleuthing, the trailblazer came nose-first into a patch of dock that matched the description to a tee. if it happened to be some very convincing look-alike-leaves, he'd handle the embarrassment in stride. the whole herb business seemed like a mess, one that he had a very small inkling of intrigue for. though, on a second thought, he supposed it might be a lot more of a powerful position than he gave it credit. holding life and death in their paws. maybe even more powerful than leader itself- for what is a leader without followers? but a medicine cat. . . well, even without the clan, the warriors, and the soldiers, knowledge was power.

he'd have to reconsider his underestimation of lostspark and mossfreckle. in the future, he made a note to regard them much more carefully and study them closer. know thy enemy and all that junk.

whatever. he had dock to gather. carefully snipping the stem as close to the ground as he could, he picked up a nice stem of dock with a handful of leaves.

[+4 dock leaves]

with that in tow, grousepaw turned to look the way he had came. he wasn't exactly eager to rejoin the patrol with petal and mid- not that he had anything against either of them. petalrot was a warrior, which meant bug had a job to uphold and rules to enforce. midnightpaw- she seemed a little too observant for his tastes. it unnerved him. made him shift uncomfortably under the weight of scrutiny.

sighing with the stem pinched between his teeth, he ducked his head and trotted back to rejoin the patrol.

Eveningthaw | Grousepaw | Cunningshrike | Cloversnap

"YOU'RE NOT ICONIC.
YOU ARE JUST LIKE THEM"
Old May 15th, 2024, 01:58 PM
What matters is ‘you’

Bump Policy: 2 days minimum
My Mood: Twisted

Petalrot quickly found a couple dock leaves and a mushroom, nodding to the two apprentices bug came with.

"Nice work, let's head back now." bug says around the herbs in bug's mouth and begins heading back toward camp.

[ +3 dock, +1 mushroom ]
@redshiftreign @Omari
Old May 16th, 2024, 12:17 PM
a winter in my heart

Bump Policy: 1 week
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver. View Post

he/him // 7 moons
31/100

---

Alright, here goes nothing. Ever so slowly he pads after her, his smaller stature meaning that he was submerged a lot more quickly than the older warrior. At least he was correct about his assumptions. His long tail perhaps would aid him here more than anywhere else, aside from jumping. Before his paws can leave the safety of the bottom of the pond he takes a deep breath, preparing for the worst if he was to begin to sink.

[ Bitternpaw rolled a 16 to stay afloat. ]

Perhaps he was more of a natural than he gave himself credit for. Because once he's left the safety net of that ground, he's treading water rather smoothly. Mouth agape and paws working furiously and clumsily, he stays above water but doesn't move after her. Maybe it was a better idea for him to get used to it first? Or perhaps he was afraid of moving in too deep too quickly. But regardless of what stops him he lingers in his spot for a few moments to adjust to the odd feeling of swimming.

[ Bitternpaw rolled a 17 to swim after Lynxshade. ]

"T-This... This isn't too bad." He mews to the older cat from his spot, eyes still wide with silent terror and mouth open to suck in air. "I think... I got it?"

The feeling of his whiskers getting wet is uncomfortable but he couldn't prepare for the feeling of his ears getting wet. One of them flicks water from it when his head dips a bit and at that moment he realizes he should probably move. Lest his ears get even more damp. Swallowing hard, anxious, he pushes forward, trying to keep the Enforcer's words in mind. Like you're running. Except when he tries to move he realizes that in the water his front paws are moreso for keeping his upper body raised while his back legs did most the work. Slowly but surely he makes his way closer to her, ears laid back in an attempt to keep water away.
Lynxshade
Shadowclan Enforcer
33 moons | she/her

Shadow Fiend | Primal Instincts | Beefed Up (T3) | Bilingual (T3)
Lynxshade gazed at Bitternpaw with interest. "Yes, you're getting it right. Just make sure you're always straining to breathe, and try not to get your ears wet." She added, with a look at the soaked apprentice.

"To propel yourself forward, use your hind legs. Kick the water backward. It takes a bit of coordination to swim properly, but at least you're staying afloat and not sinking down. It's a good start, and you're getting better by the minute." Her praise was genuine. Teaching really felt good when the results finally came.

If you don't have any more questions, I think you can keep practicing over and over again until you feel more comfortable. Just make sure not to go into deeper waters, alright?
She asked with a subtle smile, pleased by the day she was having.

Old May 16th, 2024, 12:29 PM
silly little guy

Bump Policy: 72 hrs!
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnettle View Post
Lynxshade
Shadowclan Enforcer
33 moons | she/her

Shadow Fiend | Primal Instincts | Beefed Up (T3) | Bilingual (T3)
Lynxshade gazed at Bitternpaw with interest. "Yes, you're getting it right. Just make sure you're always straining to breathe, and try not to get your ears wet." She added, with a look at the soaked apprentice.

"To propel yourself forward, use your hind legs. Kick the water backward. It takes a bit of coordination to swim properly, but at least you're staying afloat and not sinking down. It's a good start, and you're getting better by the minute." Her praise was genuine. Teaching really felt good when the results finally came.

If you don't have any more questions, I think you can keep practicing over and over again until you feel more comfortable. Just make sure not to go into deeper waters, alright?
She asked with a subtle smile, pleased by the day she was having.

he/him // 7 moons
41/100

---

The praise was well received. The young apprentice seems to visibly brighten up when he's complimented on how quickly he was picking up on the lesson. And with her helpful advice all his questions are answered. So all that's left is to continue to practice.

Being careful not to go much deeper into the pond he practices paddling around. It's definitely clumsy at first but the longer he does so the better he gets. Propelling himself with his back legs and directing himself with his front legs, he's able to move well enough. Not as quickly as a Riverclan cat by any means but he's making waves for sure.

It hits a point, however, where the water is finally too much for him. He paddles his way back toward the shore and takes a few steps back onto drier land so he can shake out his fur a bit. It felt uncomfortably vulnerable to be completely drenched but... At least he did well. Well enough to receive praise from an Enforcer.

"Thank you for giving me some of your time, Lynxshade."

" oh the places you'll go, little love of mine "
character bios.
gif of cloverhoney by @/ramen !
Old May 16th, 2024, 12:43 PM

Bump Policy: At any time
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaplestrikeWCUE View Post
Thrushdawn spotted a sparrow. She crouched down and stalked towards it. when she was close enough, she hesitated, then pounced.
(Roll=14)
She grabbed the Sparrow, her claws piercing its neck. "A little sloppy, but i got it!" She said, eyes gleaming
@IDIOTICBEAN101 @Spider-in-the-corner

Russetpaw-They/Them

-----------

Russetpaw smiled and picked their lizard back up. They noticed it was getting a bit later, but they had no idea how late they were supposed to hunt anyway.

----------

@MaplestrikeWCUE - @Spider-in-the-corner