young apprentice [will train as warrior prior to med. cat]
[link]

||

named drift because of eir constantly drifting mind, personality, and alignment
former kittypet origins
training as a warrior but desires to train as a medicine cat

||

AWKWARD
lacking skill or dexterity; lacking grace or ease of movement; lacking social graces or manners

if there is any word to describe driftpaw, it must be awkward. in every sense of it. ey are a former kittypet, and a fairly lazy one at that, resulting in eir lack of grace and dexterity. this also pertains to eir manners around others. ey don't say much, but often don't think much about what ey do end up saying, resulting in the words coming out wrong or in jumbled syllables. it is difficult for em to speak to other cats. ey trip over eir own paws just as much as ey trip over their own words. ey tend to make almost every situation uncomfortable as well as a result, whether or not it would have been awkward in the first place. ey have trouble speaking about eir aspirations, desires, and dreams just as much as eir nightmares, hatred, and troubled emotions. this also causes em to be distant from other cats and have trouble connecting with others, even those ey have come to trust and love to a familial level.

SOFT-SPOKEN
softly or mildly spoken; persuasive or suave; speaking with a soft or gentle voice; mild

speaking gently and beating around the bush during confrontation are some of driftpaw's worst habits. ey tend to speak with a very persuasive aura and almost always get what ey want, whether ey whine about it until ey do or ey manage to convince whoever they're trying to persuade with eir mild tone and light-hearted way of wording things. however, ey do struggle to talk about eirself constantly, even responding to something as simple as "how as your day been?" is a struggle for em. ey also have somewhat of a stammer to eir speech pattern and tend to repeat things like stories once or twice to the same cats.

DAYDREAMER
someone who is often in a dreamlike, musing state or fantasy while awake, usually pertaining to the fulfilment of wishes

saying driftpaw is a consistent daydreamer has to be an understatement. it doesn't matter whether ey are training or hunting or having a conversation, ey will almost always zone out into eir own little world and you'll have to repeat what you just said again because ey probably didn't even hear it in the slightest. because of their habit of daydreaming, ey tend to have a very bright, hopeful, and optimistic outlook on life. ey always have something nice to say about something, even the worst situation. whether its something automatic or something ey usually think about is unknown, probably even to driftpaw eirself.

IMPRESSIONABLE
susceptible; easily influenced because of a lack of critical ability

driftpaw is incredibly impressionable, sort of like a toddler that just learned to speak, and is spewing curse words in the back seat because the driver let one slip. ey don't understand the concept of right and wrong and can be led either way depending on who's paws ey fall into. they're also very easily impressed and are mesmerised by the simplest of things like catching a mouse or climbing a tree. their personality often drifts as well with this problem, as it tends to meld with whoever ey've spent the most time with or whoever ey've spoken to recently,

||

driftpaw's origins come from a house from the twoleg place that was placed a bit deeper in the forest than the others. ey were part of a large litter of kittens that were supposed to be given away and shipped out to other homes. on the night before ey were picked up, ey slipped out of the nest and got lost in the forest. ey wandered for days, becoming more and more desperate as ey couldn't find eir way out. ey became so exhausted ey ended up passing out on the border of shadowclan. for a while, the clan took care of em and nursed em back to health, however due to eir exhaustion, ey don't remember much apart from being initiated into the clan and becoming an apprentice.

being a former kittypet, driftpaw's heredity comes from a family of domestic shorthairs which is where ey get eir neat, short coat from. ey inherited eir grey tones from eir father, and eir pale eyes and dusty tint from eir mother. ey have a very thin, long, and lanky build and look almost frail because of it, but are larger than most apprentices eir age. because ey come from kittypets, ey lack any prominent scars apart from one that marks eir forehead from an incident within the forest. ey have a very sharp, defined figure with large ears and a long tail and a very narrow face. eir paw pads and nose are a very bright rosy pink that make eir primarily dull-toned appearance somewhat less so.

||

eir religious beliefs are somewhat doubted because of how ey really have no set personality. just like eir persona, eir religious belief drifts from situation to situation. sometimes it's all ey can put eir bets on, all that ey can trust, but other times ey trust eirself more than ey trust supposed cats in the sky that control fate. ey are in the constant limbo of "if it's meant to be, it'll happen" and "if you want it to be, chase after it." this often causes problems for em, especially between what ey tell certain cats, resulting in most not being able to trust eir judgement in the longrun.

||

" i like to daydream. everything is in control and you don't have to be alone "

" sorry, did i mess up again? i can never tell with you cats "

" yeah, not my problem. i don't want to get involved "

||

today i tried to catch a feather that was drifting in the wind
so fine, so light, so delicate and grey as hell.
i clawed at it in a bid to catch the poor thing
yet the more i tried, the further away it flew.
i questioned myself over why i wanted to catch it in my hand,
and i realised i desperately needed something tangible to hold on to.
something; anything.
anything that i could pin all my hopes and dreams on.
i was too forceful in keeping you close to me,
to let you be the pivot of my existence.
yet the feather finally taught me today,
that i should let you go, and let you drift with the wind
and let it bring you where you will eventually stay.
maybe you will find a heart that will be your home one day.
until judgement day: drift, soar, fly!
[credit]

woly poly

love
characters