View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2018, 08:36 PM
Shrinking Violet

My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Silence's hollow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistledawn View Post
Letting himself relax a little bit, Hoot sat and curled his brown tail around his paws. His squinted his eyes at the she-cat and wrinkled his nose. The tom was struggling to understand what the cat was trying to get across. Why didn't she just talk like a normal cat? Hoot felt weirded out. He wanted to go home and back to the birdbath where no weird, silent she-cat where hanging about. But despite his frustration, curiosity streamed through the young cat's veins. Sure, all of this not speaking business was irritating and strange, but it did offer some kind of an adventure and Hoot loved adventures.

"You're. . ." Hoot trailed off, trying to find whatever word the she-cat was trying to communicate. "Chest? Uh, Black? Molly, perhaps?" The tom began to name off different words and names, trying to figure out which was right. But even as he said them, none of them sounded right to him. None of the names that Hoot came up with sounded mysterious enough to belong to the she-cat. He thought deeper and harder. "Shy? Quiet? Silent?" Something about that last one felt right. "Silent." He stated it this time, more for himself than anything else. It was close, Hoot knew that much. Silent, he thought to himself. That's a weird name. Silence would sound much better.

The Abyssinian perked up suddenly, a smile- a rare occurrence for Hoot in the presence of another cat- stretched across his maw. "Silence? Is that your name? That's pretty fitting for you." A hint of amusement was buried in the young tom's voice. "And there's something wrong with your ears?" Hoot breathed. "You can't. . . hear?" The tom's head retreated with surprise. He'd heard of a- he searched for the word- a deaf cat before. That cat was a kittypet and lived with Twolegs because it couldn't care for itself. Hoot never expected to meet a deaf cat himself. He wondered how she had survived up until now. And he wondered how she was understanding what he'd been saying this entire time.

"I can sleep here." Hoot translated, feeling proud that he was able to finally figure out something easily. Suddenly, the she-cat began to reflect his own curiosity. He raised his tail to his own chest, as she had done before, as if to ask, who am I? "Hoot." He said, unsure if she'd understand or not. He tried to think of a way to explain it through his body, but came up with nothing. "Hoot." He repeated, just to be sure.

Silence smiled, nodding each time he guessed right. Her eyes crinkled again as she laughed--he was good at this! Few of her guests could pick up on her meanings so quickly. Maybe the charades would give way to real communication faster, too.

He was shocked that she couldn't hear, but he accepted it better than some. He didn't become snide or dismissive. Just more curious. Her new guest was an intriguing one. He said his name a few times, and she could see he wasn't sure she understood him.

How can I show... She perked, getting an idea. Standing slowly, she took cautious steps closer, showing she meant no harm. Once they were a few pawsteps apart she gently flicked her tail, grazing his lips, then flicked to back to her eyes. I understand you. I can see your words. Being as cautious as he was, she then retreated a few paces, sitting back down. I'm sorry if I startled you. She dipped her head in apology. A soft smile graced her face. I'm glad you're here.

Silence thought again, for a moment, and gestured to the tree. She lifted a paw and slid out her claws, shaking her head 'no' as she did so. It is safe here, I assure you. The little she-cat retract her claws quickly after. Silence hoped she hadn't scared him off--it had been a few moons since her last guest, and he was a cautious one.

(Sorry about taking so long! Had to help clean up from dinner.)

Character site https://raindancecharacters.weebly.com/

My Thunderclan & Riverclan cats are open to rp!

Last edited by Raindancer; January 7th, 2018 at 09:00 PM.