Thread: Moonlit Grove
View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2020, 10:25 PM
darkness begets light.

My Mood: Mysterious

Default Re: Moonlit Grove

// @Lynxpaw

It was disappointing to hear the apprentice state that corrupt cats weren't rare, but it was the truth. Felines were easily manipulated. Give them what they want, and for the most part, they would follow a fake leader even beyond the forest. Birds of a feather flocked together; there was that, too. Standing out was frowned upon within a clan, yet when one cat performed a mousebrained action, then it was inevitable that the rest would follow.

Take the most recent meeting, for example. Some cat decided to attack Dawnstar, and soon enough, there was a small battalion of warriors trying to strike her down. Fools. The brown molly hadn't been appointed as deputy for being weak. In the end, it got them nowhere. All they earned were injuries, self-exile, and one imprisoned queen.

Not all cats had bees for brains, but those that did tended to be the most memorable, which was rarely good for a clan's overall reputation. The clan of shadows contained many kind cats, yet it was known for ruthlessness. Talonstone was confident that not every riverdweller loved fish and water, and not all windrunners were weak battlers. No, they definitely weren't weak. Otherwise, it would be a massive embarrassment to say that they had been chased out by rabbit-hunters out of all cats.

His stance on Dawnstar was his own, not something that he would force onto sensible cats. As for the non-sensible cats, there was no point of even trying. The large feline was a worthy leader. Her harshness was nothing; once again, the shadowcats needed it. They were growing weak; this was a way to remedy that. Not that her predecessor had been lenient in the slightest. It was this next generation of fools that were the problem. Talonstone believed that felines his age hsd the will to fight. Below was questionable, above was mostly balanced. The shadows had once been a passive clan, or so the frosty warrior had been told. It was strange even thinking that way - the clan of shadows without ambition was like a cat without fur. It was unnatural, strange. Yet, it was fully possible.

"Once again, I may influence your thoughts; however, your decisions are yours to make. First, I will warn you that quite a few cats are not in favor of Dawnstar. They see her as a tyrant due to her stricter nature, though I assure you that she does hold the well-being of the clan within her mind. Whatever your stance may be on the matter, it would be best to keep those thoughts to yourself in order to prevent a target from landing on your back." Of course, Russetpaw likely already knew all this. He simply felt the need to remind the apprentice again.

"Second, I have been told that a friend is someone that is always there. A friend should be supportive and trusting; someone that willingly assists in carrying your troubles. However, if that is the definition of 'friend,' then I must admit that I have never had one before." It wasn't a surprise; Lionpaw and Nightshiver, he wasn't comfortable with speaking his mind to them. As for Doetuft, she was a bit more than a friend, and therefore, could not fit that role. "I believe that a friend is someone that you know well. A friend should understand how you feel, should watch out for you, and is someone that you would not mind spending more time with." His improvised definition of a friend kept in mind those who did not open up easily. In his opinion, the original definition was describing more of a parent figure.

"Lastly, safety is a trick of the mind. Asking 'am I safe' is similar to asking 'am I content.' Inquire to yourself what you need to be safe. If you have those, then you are, by your own standards, safe. If not, what can you do to earn what you need? Do you need to feel protected while you rest? Reposition your nest so that your back is facing the wall. Do you need to share your thoughts, or someone who you can ask questions to?" Talonstone's voice quieted slightly, with a difference that one could hear, but not so that it was glaringly obvious. "I am always open. Whether it be to rant, train, or the need to escape camp for a time, I will be willing to assist in any way possible."

With that said, Talonstone spun around, his tail sweeping the air and startling the dust around it. "Gather your bounty and we will head back to camp," he meowed abruptly, as if the recent interrogation had not occured. Hopefully, Russetpaw wouldn't question it. He hoped that the apprentice would take him up on the offer, or at least that he had given her something to gnaw on.. Was it an extension of friendship? Perhaps, something like that.
Have a wonderful day!