View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2020, 06:33 PM

Bump Policy: I'm not sure yet.
My Mood: Dreaming

Default Re: Short Stories Written by Nyan!

@Turtle Tail

Cinder curled up in the fallen, hollowed-out portion of the tree, using her tail to tuck the dark-shaded kit closer to her. Her eyes pricked with wetness at the edges as she remembered him, the cat who had once shared this den with her. Inhaling deeply, she could still smell him everywhere: in their nest, on their tree, even on their own kit, Scarlet.
No... it’s not ours anymore, she thought, her heart giving a painful pang. It’s mine. He left me and our only surviving daughter all alone.
Scarlet shifted in the nest and glanced up at her mother with wide eyes. “Where’s Father?” she asked. “Is he really not coming back?”
Cinder sighed, tucking her tabby tail closer to her, scooping up the kit. “He isn’t,” she replied softly. “He left us. Forever.”
Scarlet let out a small squeak and buried herself into Cinder’s light fur. Cinder heaved a sigh and rested her head on her paws again. No more sharing prey, no more telling jokes, no more taking care of Scarlet together... all because he just wanted somebody prettier. It made her upset just thinking about it.
Suddenly, pawsteps sounded right outside of the den. Cinder’s ears perked up and she looked at the entrance. An unfamiliar, fishy yet strong scent was flooding into the den. Scarlet startled, jumping to her paws. “Intruder-” the kit began before she slapped her tail over her little mouth, the fur rising along her spine and her claws unsheathing. Even though he had left her, she would defend her single remaining kit with her life.
A light gray tom stumbled through the entrance and looked around, seemingly confused. Hissing, Cinder yowled, “What are you doing here? Get out of my den!”
Shock spread across the cat’s face. “I’m sorry!” he exclaimed, beginning to back up. “I didn’t realize that I had gone so far from my territory.” Although he did look a little nervous, Cinder could tell that he was also curious. His gaze scanned over her and then settled on the little dark orange shape of Scarlet.
“Who are you?” the kit, who was supposed to be hiding under her orange tail, piped up. Cinder tensed as the cat paused.
The tom seemed to relax a bit. “I am no threat to your kit,” he meowed slowly. “I just stumbled here on accident while chasing a squirrel. Again, I’m sorry.”
Cinder let herself relax a little although she was still on guard. “It’s fine, I guess,” she muttered. The strange odor of the cat bathed her tongue. “Who are you?” she asked.
The tom paused for a moment before replying, “I’m Streambubble of RiverClan.”
Cinder blinked, confused by the name. Streambubble? That was a bit... odd. It didn’t help that Scarlet was looking very curious.
“Streambubble?” Scarlet echoed. “What name is that?”
“Scarlet! Be polite!” Cinder exclaimed, glancing warily at the stranger. Angering him wouldn’t be the best idea.
Streambubble shrugged. “I know that it’s a bit weird,” he admitted. “But it’s just a regular warrior name from RiverClan.”
“RiverClan?” Cinder blinked at him. “What’s that?”
Streambubble sighed. “I guess that you wouldn’t understand,” he murmured, beginning to back away from them. “And I’d probably leave before your mate gets home.”
Cinder tensed and Scarlet spoke for her, much to her disliking. “Father left us,” she mewed. “He went for somebody prettier.”
“Hush!” Cinder exclaimed. Streambubble was already looking at her with sympathy.
“I’m sorry,” he murmured quietly. Then he slid away.
Cinder glanced down at Scarlet. “That was weird,” she meowed. “Well, let’s go to sleep now.”
“I liked him,” Scarlet admitted. “He was super nice to us.”
“Still a stranger,” Cinder sighed, curling up in her nest. “We can’t trust too quickly, can we now?”
Scarlet blinked but said nothing.
A couple of days had passed when Cinder was out hunting alone not far outside of her den. Scarlet was playing inside, pouncing on what appeared to be a stick. There was a mouse just in sight...
Suddenly, there was a flash of light gray fur. The mouse squealed and ran off. Cinder tensed and noticed Streambubble - again. “What are you doing here?” she demanded.
The tom looked startled. “I - uh-” he began before taking a deep breath. “I just wanted to see if you’re doing okay,” he told her.
Cinder blinked at him. “I’m doing fine…” she meowed.
Meanwhile, Scarlet had obviously scented him, for she dashed out of the den. “Look! Stream’s back!”
“Streambubble,” the light gray tom corrected before glancing up at Cinder. “I was wondering if we could... hunt together?” he asked. “You’re going to need plenty of prey for that little one. Surely she’s weaned by now.”
Cinder felt surprised by the unexpected help. “Okay…” she told him, then looked at Scarlet. “Stay here,” she ordered.
Some time passed and the two of them had caught plenty of prey. They had all shared it before Streambubble left again. About a moon passed and the tom kept on visiting her and her only kit. It would make her wonder about a future with her and this odd tom, but he kept having to leave... for that RiverClan.
One day, the tom came by again. Cinder’s ears perked up at the now familiar smell. “Hey there!” she called. Scarlet leaped up and mewed, “He’s back!”
Streambubble came by and settled down beside Cinder. It felt so good with him by her side... much better than it had with her past mate, Tiger. Shaking her head, she knew that she had to tell him her feelings eventually.
“Hey, Streambubble…” she began.
“Yes?” he asked curiously, his head tipping to one side.
Cinder took a deep breath. “You’ve been a great cat,” she began. “Wonderful, really, especially after Tiger - my old mate - left me here alone with our only surviving kit.” She glanced down at Scarlet, who was fidgeting with a leaf. “And I was wondering... well, I... I like you, Streambubble.”
Streambubble’s eyes widen with surprise. He paused, then admitted, “I do, too.” He looked distressed, almost as though he had to make a choice of sorts.
“What’s wrong?” Cinder asked.
“Well…” Streambubble took a deep breath. “Where I live, in my Clan that I’ve been telling you about... the one by the river... I’m not allowed to take a mate from outside of my Clan.” He looked away and she could almost smell the guilt.
Cinder’s tail drooped. “Oh,” she murmured with a sad glance at Scarlet, who looked disappointed.
“Aww! But I want you to stay!” the little kit wailed.
Streambubble took a deep breath. “We can get around this,” he told her, although his voice sounded a little tense.
Cinder blinked. “How?” she asked.
“I mean... you could always join my Clan,” he meowed. “But you’d have to be strong and loyal. Your name might have to be changed, your kit would have to endure hardship as well as you, and you’d have to get used to water.” He stopped, looking at her seriously. “Would you be willing?” he asked.
Cinder stared at him. Leave everything behind... to go into a totally unfamiliar, possibly hostile group of cats? And endanger her kit, too? But what did she have here? Scarlet and nothing else? What would happen if she got too old to care for herself or if something happened to grown-up Scarlet?
“Yes,” she told him. “Yes, I will join you.”
The look of joy on Streambubble’s face was one that she wouldn’t forget easily. “Come on, then,” he purred. “And don’t forget your little one.”
Cinder nodded and picked Scarlet up and, as they headed off toward the river, Scarlet purred. “I knew it! I knew that you’d find somebody like Father!”
Better, she thought, smiling. Much better.

How Would You Describe My Writing Style?

New and Improved Character Bios!