PDA

View Full Version : Character Appearances

Xylynx
July 7th, 2017, 05:50 AM
I'd like to think I've read anything that could relate to this, but hey - I coulda skipped over something :p

I'm curious about mutations on a character - not major things, like conjoined litters or whatever. Things more tame, such as a polydactyl cat, like Blackstar. Or even vitiligo (gradual appearance of white as the cat ages). Curled ears is perhaps the most 'natural' mutation I can think of xD

I'm thinking of a 'tortoiseshell' tom cat character. However, it wouldn't be a natural tortoiseshell coat, but a mutation that causes black pigmentation of skin cells - which would of course spread to the hair follicles and cause them to be black. Of course, this would mean he's fertile, though he wouldn't be able to pass down the 'black' gene since it's a mutation.

In simple terms, is a tortoiseshell tomcat allowed, given that he would technically be a ginger tom with a mutation that causes patches of fur to be black?
And, of course, how are *minor*ish mutations treated? Polydactyly? Vitiligo? Bobbed tail? Just examples c:

Oh my god I've done so much research on cat genetics I'm a nerd xD

Momotaro
July 7th, 2017, 07:01 AM
im pretty sure that's fine. Have a cat that has violet eyes due to mutations and such.

seasalt
July 7th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Its all allowed, don't know why it wouldn't be. ^^

Xylynx
July 7th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Sweet c:
I've just had some rather...nasty experiences in the past where rules don't specify everything and you're expected to mindread :p I got banned because the main character I used had a mutation [vitiligo if I remember correctly] and apparently that wasn't allowed. Y'know, despite there being no rule about it :p

Still, better safe than sorry, since I know a lot of people get up in arms over tortoiseshell toms because they think they know genetics :p Ah well - thank you!