PDA

View Full Version : i need help..(not to urgent but help)

Wolvesregion
October 27th, 2017, 07:55 PM
sooooo im trying to improve on my typing skills trying to look more professional... i can't seem to make long posts. Any tips???

wickedvirtues
October 27th, 2017, 08:21 PM
sooooo im trying to improve on my typing skills trying to look more professional... i can't seem to make long posts. Any tips???

Hmm well, try focusing on descriptions?
Example;
Lichenthorn sat in the Clearing, glancing around for a friend.

Revised:
Lichenthorn sat in the middle of the clearing, fluffing out his fur as cold wind came, different from the normally warm air of the season. He curled his tail around his paws and happily glanced at the faces around him, spotting a few familiar faces. He purred at the smiles he saw, enjoying the fact that his Clanmates were happy. Lichenthorn liked seeing gleeful faces, they brightened his day. The brown tom tried to spot one of his friends, in the mood to talk with someone.

Idk, just something I do to expand posts :3

Fawn
October 27th, 2017, 08:31 PM
The Bloody Kitty
I'm guessing this isn't what you're looking for, but my advice is to not force it.

Being descriptive is good, but making long posts for the sake of making long posts? Bad writing.

Writing that leads nowhere and is written for the sake of "bulking up" a piece is called fluff in the world of writing, and has a negative connotation attached to it. Although some might say that long posts will somehow make you a better roleplayer, fluffing your writing is a terrible habit to get into - most experienced writers can see through this and will know you weren't sure what to write about.. so you faked it. That doesn't benefit anyone.

The bottom line: write in the style and length that you feel comfortable with. Consider your character's situation and inner dialogue, but pushing yourself to write fluff solely to have more content is the mark of a poor writer.

Wolvesregion
October 27th, 2017, 08:36 PM
The Bloody Kitty
I'm guessing this isn't what you're looking for, but my advice is to not force it.

Being descriptive is good, but making long posts for the sake of making long posts? Bad writing.

Writing that leads nowhere and is written for the sake of "bulking up" a piece is called fluff in the world of writing, and has a negative connotation attached to it. Although some might say that long posts will somehow make you a better roleplayer, fluffing your writing is a terrible habit to get into - most experienced writers can see through this and will know you weren't sure what to write about.. so you faked it. That doesn't benefit anyone.

The bottom line: write in the style and length that you feel comfortable with. Consider your character's situation and inner dialogue, but pushing yourself to write fluff solely to have more content is the mark of a poor writer.
Hmm well, try focusing on descriptions?
Example;
Lichenthorn sat in the Clearing, glancing around for a friend.

Revised:
Lichenthorn sat in the middle of the clearing, fluffing out his fur as cold wind came, different from the normally warm air of the season. He curled his tail around his paws and happily glanced at the faces around him, spotting a few familiar faces. He purred at the smiles he saw, enjoying the fact that his Clanmates were happy. Lichenthorn liked seeing gleeful faces, they brightened his day. The brown tom tried to spot one of his friends, in the mood to talk with someone.

Idk, just something I do to expand posts :3
CandyFlossCat Thank you for the information.
Rose Queen Thank you for your information. I will put both of yours in thought and you both have very good help. :3

BEAR.
October 27th, 2017, 09:39 PM
my advice is to pay attention to what's going on around the character. what are they hearing, smelling, seeing? who are they with? is there anything important happening?

you can play around with their thoughts through your posts, but make sure it's not the focus of your post. if you're roleplaying with someone, they can't do a lot with the majority of the post being in your character's head - or if you're too busy describing every little thing.

also, avoid using thesauruses with your writing. while this isn't as common as it once was (it used to be a long post trend), your partner doesn't need "his fluorescent orbs meandered near the glade, scintillating at the glimpse of his archenemy."

character interactions can be explored anywhere between as little as one sentence to several paragraphs. as rose said, don't force anything. writing doesn't always come easily and it's perfectly fine if you don't go beyond a sentence or two in your posts. it personally took me several years to break out of my "few sentences or less" shell and work on lengthening my posts to a comfortable range.