PDA

View Full Version : You Know, For Kids!

Lawlipop
October 7th, 2017, 04:13 PM
Do you know what's the funniest thing about warriors?

It's directed at kids

You have those moms who complain to companies about dark stuff on movies but things on books slip under that helicopter parent radar

While you are complaining about some minor cursing or blood in one scene, in this series you have:

-a cat version of heaven and hell

-a dog ripping off the face of one cat who is forced to live with the scars

-Goosefeather slowly and painfully dying from a brain infection, making his sanity and common sense deterioate as well, indirectly resulting in Moonflower's death

-sending babies to fight

-murdering the children of your ex in a fire

-A. FREAKING. HILL. MADE. OF. FELINE. BONES.

-a cat getting ripped up and exposing his organs

-a descriptive scene of a mother poisoning her son

-having a dream where you are brutally murdering your friend over and over

-trying to force your mother to poison and kill herself

-the image of Ferncloud getting forcefully dragged out the nursery and murdered

and many others.

It's funny how books can get away with so much more than movies and TV can.

Darky
October 7th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Well compare this to my babysitter letting me watch chucky at the age of three....

Fawn
October 7th, 2017, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure what you mean since it hasn't gone unnoticed. Warriors has faced quite a bit of controversy over the violence and is usually found in libraries that cater to 11+ y/o's or older.

I haven't read the books in a long time, but if I remember correctly the violent scenes aren't extremely graphic - they're about as descriptive as they need to be to get the point across, but not graphic in a grotesque way.

tl;dr it's relatively suitable for the target audience (11-14) but there have been complaints in the past about the violent nature of Warriors.

Mango
October 7th, 2017, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure what you mean since it hasn't gone unnoticed. Warriors has faced quite a bit of controversy over the violence and is usually found in libraries that cater to 11+ y/o's or older.

I haven't read the books in a long time, but if I remember correctly the violent scenes aren't extremely graphic - they're about as descriptive as they need to be to get the point across, but not graphic in a grotesque way.

tl;dr it's relatively suitable for the target audience (11-14) but there have been complaints in the past about the violent nature of Warriors.
Some how I never noticed any of this, yet again I started reading at 11, and I watched way worse stuff.

BEAR.
October 7th, 2017, 05:25 PM
popping in with a small reminder it was a hill of prey bones, not cat bones.. so it's not as disturbing to younger viewers

aleka!
October 8th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Honestly these things are fine- but can we talk about the mildly descriptive births here? That's really the only thing that's disturbing for me kind of in the series, and yeah, I know it's nature and stuff but just... why would you put that in a book...

Mango
October 9th, 2017, 10:47 AM
Honestly these things are fine- but can we talk about the mildly descriptive births here? That's really the only thing that's disturbing for me kind of in the series, and yeah, I know it's nature and stuff but just... why would you put that in a book...
Ikr " Nipping the sacks open" stuff like that is like THIS IS FOR 11 YEAR OLDS!!! And I'm 14 and,unnerved by this!

Bracken12
October 16th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Ikr " Nipping the sacks open" stuff like that is like THIS IS FOR 11 YEAR OLDS!!! And I'm 14 and,unnerved by this!
Yeah, Jaypaw was so " descriptive" when they wrote the Briarkit, Blossomkit, and Bumblekit birth it actually grossed me out. And I want to be a vet.

Mango
October 16th, 2017, 09:59 PM
Yeah, Jaypaw was so " descriptive" when they wrote the Briarkit, Blossomkit, and Bumblekit birth it actually grossed me out. And I want to be a vet.
Jaypaw's birth was disgusting.

Bracken12
October 17th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Jaypaw's birth was disgusting.
yeah, glad he hasn't really been written doing a birthing since, and I read Leafpool's Wish, almost as bad, but at least he was more " awkward and younger" with it, Leafpool just " tells you all that happens!"

Tundra
October 18th, 2017, 12:39 AM
Are you sure Warriors is a children's book? When I was looking at it on the App Store it said Young Adults Book.

NightWarrior4Life
October 18th, 2017, 02:13 AM
I'm not bothered about the violence such as Ashfur and the murdering mother's and sons and things but when it comes to injuries and descriptive ones...such as when Cinderpaw is doing her hunting assessment and her leg gave way I didn't like that...and when cats have fevers in general (such as when poppypaw nearly died and jay paw saved her in her dream)

I'm a pretty squeamish person IRL so anything to do with medical or hospital or injuries I just can't...I've read much worse and I stay away from gory movies but because I love warriors so much and it was kind of my escape from my biology lessons when I was scared to death of chopping up hearts and lungs etc. for a while so I can forgive the books for that...sorry if this dragged on a bit...

Brunch
October 18th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Are you sure Warriors is a children's book? When I was looking at it on the App Store it said Young Adults Book.
It is a kid's book, but directed at the older ones. As Rose said, they're for 11-14 year olds, so, in a sense, it is for young adults, if you were to consider teenagers them.

One thing that I found particularly terrible when rereading the books recently, was the Stonefur/Mistyfoot/Featherpaw/Stormpaw scenario, where they were kept in a cave, living in their own feces, because they were half-clan. Some people considered Leopardstar to be an OK leader, but letting her warriors, as well as apprentices live in those conditions shows how she isn't exactly fit to be a leader.

BEAR.
October 18th, 2017, 11:51 AM

gonna be fairly upfront with this because i don't want you to go for vet school and raise a lot of debt for nothing ..

if you can't handle a not very descriptive birth scene (it really isn't) written in a series directed toward pre-teens, this field likely isn't for you. there's a lot worse things out there you'll be exposed to.

i would suggest taking the time to volunteer at your local rescues, a humane society, or shadowing a vet if you can to get a feel for some of the things you might see if you pursue this career.

Bracken12
October 18th, 2017, 04:17 PM
gonna be fairly upfront with this because i don't want you to go for vet school and raise a lot of debt for nothing ..

if you can't handle a not very descriptive birth scene (it really isn't) written in a series directed toward pre-teens, this field likely isn't for you. there's a lot worse things out there you'll be exposed to.

i would suggest taking the time to volunteer at your local rescues, a humane society, or shadowing a vet if you can to get a feel for some of the things you might see if you pursue this career.
thanks! I really appreciate it!

Tundra
October 18th, 2017, 04:18 PM
Oh. That's true.