PDA

View Full Version : Sins of the WC books

aleka!
September 21st, 2017, 07:36 PM
Oh what's this myself, I may of already seen one of these maybe lurking around here you're pretty sure?

Welp too bad, it's time to rant about just good ol' sins that make you sometimes question why you're still reading the series....

How did the cats not really know what a beaver is? I mean, just really now? Like RiverClan should at least be like: "oh wait... that may be a beaver or something." I mean, if there's someone named Ottersplash, I kind of expect them to know what a beaver is.
And to completely jump to another topic, I don't get Scourge's claws? How the heck does he have frickin' dog teeth reinforcing his claws or whatever? It kind of make no sense, like at all.
Still kind of talking about Scourge- I mean I kind of get how exactly he just instantly killed Tigerstar, but how did Brokenstar kill Raggedstar just by tearing out his throat exactly? And that's kind of the end of that.
And, oh god don't get me started on Mistyfoot and Stonefur. Whenever TC asked what happened what happened to her kits, she said something about how a fox literally just causally took them from her nest, and they're all perfectly fine with that excuse. And not to mention that they didn't even end of recognizing the two blue cats.

And this one that bothers me the most: in Tallstar's Revenge, Yellowfang's Secret, and Bluestar's Prophecy, Rainflower just doesn't even exist in the alliances pages. In fact, she's called Lilystem, and like why is this never fixed? Like even in Tallstar's Revenge, Oakkit even called her Rainflower so I'm so confused... just why?

C'mon people, get your rage and questioning our of you're system on this page.

Hopekit
September 21st, 2017, 09:42 PM
Why did Hollyleaf have to die
?????????????????????????????

Like seriously. I don't understand the reason she had to die. I mean, yeah she wanted to help the clans and stuff, and she saved cats but why die... I understand she has a wound and stuff, and that's an exceptional reason for her to die and all, but I can't help but rage over her death.

Socks
September 21st, 2017, 10:07 PM
Why isn't Brackenfur deputy, people, why?
I think he and Bramblestar have a decent relationship
And I think he'd be a much better choice

Also, I'm just, so, so, SO tired of forbidden relationships and half-clan or medicine cat kits.
If they're going to write it in so much they might as well just say it's allowed now, like, honestly.

Hopekit
September 21st, 2017, 10:21 PM
Why is Brackenfur deputy, people, why?
I think he and Bramblestar have a decent relationship
And I think he'd be a much better choice

Also, I'm just, so, so, SO tired of forbidden relationships and half-clan or medicine cat kits.
If they're going to write it in so much they might as well just say it's allowed now, like, honestly.

I know right. Brackenfur and Bramblestar have a pretty exceptional relationship, and it's not like Bramble has anything against him. He's been around a while and he's pretty trusted, unless I'm being forgetful. I think he would be a better choice, too. Plus, he's helped Bramble a decent lot.

If they're going to write one about like nearly every main character, I agree. I mean seriously. They write things about forbidden relationships and half-clan love or medicine cat kits like so much! Dovewing x Tigerheart, Bluestar x Oakheart, Leafpool x Crowfeather, Graystripe x Silverstream, and so many others! If they're going to do it that much, they should simply save themselves all the work and make it allowed. Honestly, I agree with you.

Phoenix Flames
September 21st, 2017, 10:39 PM
Now, this is one that I have to point out:

Come on, Erins. Can't y'all just proofread your books?

All those spelling errors. And, in The Sight, of the Power of Three, how do you end up putting Firestorm instead of Firestar. What the heck mistake is that? And HOW IN THE WORLD did they end of making that spelling error. Like, for real..... I think they need help. They better proofread all their books before publishing them. And one time, in one of their other books, they put his instead of her when they were referring to Sandstorm on one of the last sentences leading to the next chapter. Really, Erin Hunter? Are you all just trying to make us complain about all the spelling errors?!

Socks
September 22nd, 2017, 01:30 PM
Another thing, I thought the rule was a medicine cat can't take on a mate and have kits, but that doesn't prevent them from falling in love, right?
Like, if a medicine fell in love with a cat who couldn't have kits, or they just didn't have kits together, it'd be totally fine, right?
If it's about devoting time to the clan and treating all the clan as if they were your kits then why are clan leaders allowed to have kits?

BEAR.
September 22nd, 2017, 05:39 PM
Another thing, I thought the rule was a medicine cat can't take on a mate and have kits, but that doesn't prevent them from falling in love, right?
Like, if a medicine fell in love with a cat who couldn't have kits, or they just didn't have kits together, it'd be totally fine, right?
If it's about devoting time to the clan and treating all the clan as if they were your kits then why are clan leaders allowed to have kits?

There's a bit of a difference between being a leader and a medicine cat. The duties of a leader aren't as demanding as that of a medicine cat; they do ceremonies, make announcements, and occasionally decide whether or not they need to steal prey or attack another faction. If a leader needed to step back to have / raise their kits, it's pretty easy for the deputy to fill in.

With medicine cats, it's not that simple. They are the sole source of healing in the Clan, and training their apprentices usually takes twice as long as training a warrior. Distracting themselves with coveted things - love and kits, would impede their ability to efficiently train their next apprentice. In addition, if they were to pursue a relationship and have offspring, they would be leaving an inexperienced cat in charge of all the Clan's ailments until they were able to resume their duties (even a fully trained apprentice is still inexperienced; it doesn't matter if they get their full name or not.) It's also possible they could be biased towards who they heal-- for example, if a battle were to take place and their mate was injured, they may be more inclined to tend to their mate before the rest of their Clan-mates. Restricting them from romantic relationships helps to ensure medicine cats put everyone else first before themselves.

I personally believe the sin related to the rule is that the Erins hammered this rule in at the very beginning of the series only to go "oh well" when it came to Leafpool running off with Crowfeather and having kits. They made a half-hearted attempt to "punish" her only to let her play medicine cat again in the next arc. It's ridiculous, especially when paired with what they've done to previous medicine cats who broke the medicine cat code (e.g. Yellowfang.)

Phoenix Flames
September 22nd, 2017, 07:07 PM
There's a bit of a difference between being a leader and a medicine cat. The duties of a leader aren't as demanding as that of a medicine cat; they do ceremonies, make announcements, and occasionally decide whether or not they need to steal prey or attack another faction. If a leader needed to step back to have / raise their kits, it's pretty easy for the deputy to fill in.

With medicine cats, it's not that simple. They are the sole source of healing in the Clan, and training their apprentices usually takes twice as long as training a warrior. Distracting themselves with coveted things - love and kits, would impede their ability to efficiently train their next apprentice. In addition, if they were to pursue a relationship and have offspring, they would be leaving an inexperienced cat in charge of all the Clan's ailments until they were able to resume their duties (even a fully trained apprentice is still inexperienced; it doesn't matter if they get their full name or not.) It's also possible they could be biased towards who they heal-- for example, if a battle were to take place and their mate was injured, they may be more inclined to tend to their mate before the rest of their Clan-mates. Restricting them from romantic relationships helps to ensure medicine cats put everyone else first before themselves.

I personally believe the sin related to the rule is that the Erins hammered this rule in at the very beginning of the series only to go "oh well" when it came to Leafpool running off with Crowfeather and having kits. They made a half-hearted attempt to "punish" her only to let her play medicine cat again in the next arc. It's ridiculous, especially when paired with what they've done to previous medicine cats who broke the medicine cat code (e.g. Yellowfang.)
That is true, Mad King.

Hopekit
September 22nd, 2017, 07:07 PM
One thing; they once referred to Tawnypelt as Tawnypaw when they were writing in the book. However, not once; and I have reread the book like 6 times; have the Erins mentioned a cat named Tawnypaw in the book. She just appears out of nowhere. And if I'm misunderstanding something please tell me.

Phoenix Flames
September 22nd, 2017, 09:48 PM
One thing; they once referred to Tawnypelt as Tawnypaw when they were writing in the book. However, not once; and I have reread the book like 6 times; have the Erins mentioned a cat named Tawnypaw in the book. She just appears out of nowhere. And if I'm misunderstanding something please tell me.
I've noticed stuff like that. Like, they put the cats' apprentice or warrior names even though they're warriors or leaders.

Hopekit
September 23rd, 2017, 09:38 AM
I've noticed stuff like that. Like, they put the cats' apprentice or warrior names even though they're warriors or leaders.
Yeah. And I've checked the Allegiances Page.... it still either doesn't say their name or calls it their apprentice or warrior names when they're clan leaders or warriors. It's annoying XD

Phoenix Flames
September 23rd, 2017, 10:07 AM
Yeah. And I've checked the Allegiances Page.... it still either doesn't say their name or calls it their apprentice or warrior names when they're clan leaders or warriors. It's annoying XD
Yep. XD

Hopekit
September 23rd, 2017, 10:09 AM
Yep. XD
sigh

BEAR.
September 23rd, 2017, 10:40 AM
sigh

It's likely a typo no one caught. Whoever "edits" the books doesn't do a very good job of catching a lot of the inconsistencies and errors, considering how many there are.

Hopekit
September 23rd, 2017, 10:47 AM
It's likely a typo no one caught. Whoever "edits" the books doesn't do a very good job of catching a lot of the inconsistencies and errors, considering how many there are.

Agreed. And one thing I find super annoying is how confusing it sometimes gets when there are multiple errors, especially when a few errors completely jumble up the text. For example, if there are two errors next to one another, it occasionally puts me off track and I don't understand what's going on in the book.
Sorry if what I just said is confusing XD

Zan Partizanne
September 28th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Can we talk about a full page in BrambleStars Storm of GrayStripe praising his kits..."MistyFoot and Stonefur" S E R I O U S L Y?!?!